THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The NFL Playoffs thread  (Read 42184 times)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
Re: The NFL Playoffs thread
« Reply #100 on: 15 Jan 2008, 15:25 »

Actually he's coaching in San Diego right now because he tried to coach the Cowboys but they got Wade Phillips instead, and the Chargers sought him out.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Narr

« Reply #101 on: 16 Jan 2008, 11:02 »

I don't get how people can still knock Norv Turner as much as they do.  They started out rough this year under him but that's to be expected with any coach, and then they went on a huge winning streak and are one of the best teams in the NFL this year.  Give the guy a little credit.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #102 on: 16 Jan 2008, 11:18 »

As a 49er fan, I think Norv Turner is a brilliant coach. I just wish he was still our offensive coordinator, especially since now we hired Mike Martz...
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #103 on: 16 Jan 2008, 11:46 »

I was extrememly pleased with this week's playoff games. 

It Farve and Co. keep up what they did this week, they are a shoo in for the superbowl.

And San Diego shouldn't have a chance.  LT won't play if he's smart, unless he gets the green light from the docs.  Dislocated toes and fingers are nothing.  Tape it up, and you're ready to play.  But a knee injury is bad.  That is the injury that permenantly sidelines a majority of players, especially RBs.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #104 on: 16 Jan 2008, 12:41 »

That's true for most knee injuries, but not for a hyperextension.  Rivers' injury actually has a better chance of sidelining him
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

BobJoeJim

« Reply #105 on: 16 Jan 2008, 20:57 »

Am I the only one who thinks Rivers vs. Eli would be a more fun QB matchup storyline than Brady vs. Favre?  I mean I realize the odds of it actually happening are MINISCULE (3.86% chance of both upsets hitting, according to the current moneylines), but wouldn't it be awesome?

Oh yeah, and +1 re: FUCK YOU, COWBOYS, ENJOY YOUR OFFSEASON  :mrgreen:

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 17 Jan 2008, 06:44 »

Eli Manning is so incredibly boring.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

captain zoe

« Reply #107 on: 17 Jan 2008, 09:07 »

He needs to try something of his own instead of trying to do that fakeout audible thing that Peyton does. 

Then again I saw quite a few QBs doing that this season. 

Narr

« Reply #108 on: 18 Jan 2008, 12:27 »

Peyton is still the undisputed king of the audible, though.  I think we can all agree on that.

Anyway, guys.  2 days until championship games.  I'm excited.  I am going to be very sad when the football season ends this year, as I am most years, because the vast majority of other sports put me to sleep.  (College basketball > NBA basketball, but it ends in March.  Baseball is just boring always, and that seems to be year round.  Soccer is kind of hard to get in to if you're an American because no one ever talks about it here so unless you go out of your way to get into it, you won't even know who any of the players are.  Hockey is kind of the same way, but at least guys ram each other into walls.)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #109 on: 18 Jan 2008, 12:34 »

Baseball is just awesome, but I hate puppies, sunshine and freedom.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #110 on: 18 Jan 2008, 14:48 »

Here in Oklahoma we don't pay attention to Pro Football, we just pay attention to how badly we get beat in BCS games (which I try my absolute hardest to have a sense of humor about, if only to keep the tears back... :cry:). That being said, I find it very unlikely that anyone can beat the Pats when Brady (love him or hate him) is throwing 92 freaking percent. That's just unfair.

I always pray desperately that the playoffs will go through Green Bay solely because I love the snow games. The game this last week against Seattle was one of the most beautiful sporting events I've ever seen on TV. If it does it again, New York is in trouble, and if the same thing happens in Foxboro, San Diego is toast.

I wish the Chiefs didn't suck...

Dissy

« Reply #111 on: 18 Jan 2008, 14:55 »

The Pack-Seahaire game was great.  I also remember someone telling me that Pac would loose if it was overly cold or snowy, because they have't played well in the cold all year.  Oops.

I feel your pain, I've been an on-and-off Chiefs fan for about 15 years.  I listened with great interest this early this year thinking that they could do good, but then, the let Trent Green go.  You fire one of the best quarterbacks for three of the last four years (not including this season) for a third string and a couple of rookies.  After that, I basically washed my hands of them.   They could be a really good team, but...
I fuck at typos

BobJoeJim

« Reply #112 on: 18 Jan 2008, 15:01 »

Hey Robbie, BCS games aside... how do you feel about onside kicks?

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #113 on: 18 Jan 2008, 15:10 »

Onside kicks themselves, I have no problem with (though, we made a pretty stupid attempt at one during the Fiesta Bowl as well). I do feel the call was incorrect, but it was like, two years ago. I've moved on as much as I can. As much as I love college football, and as much as I'll miss it during the offseason, I also realize it's just a game, and mistakes are made. I make a lot of them myself.

I feel your pain, I've been an on-and-off Chiefs fan for about 15 years.  I listened with great interest this early this year thinking that they could do good, but then, the let Trent Green go.  You fire one of the best quarterbacks for three of the last four years (not including this season) for a third string and a couple of rookies.  After that, I basically washed my hands of them.   They could be a really good team, but...

It doesn't help that Larry Johnson got hurt/wasn't playing well. I thought Croyle was going to be fine, but that didn't work out either... *sigh* At least we'll get a high draft pick this year.

Narr

« Reply #114 on: 18 Jan 2008, 17:16 »

I know what it's like to cheer for a crappy team.  I don't know why but I've always liked the Detroit Lions since I was a kid, and you guys know as well as I do they are a pretty crappy team.  Good thing for me I've also been cheering for the Steelers as long as I can remember and they usually do pretty good.  Their Super Bowl run and win a few years ago was one of the best moments in sports for me in a long time.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #115 on: 19 Jan 2008, 06:58 »

Soccer is kind of hard to get in to if you're an American because no one ever talks about it here so unless you go out of your way to get into it, you won't even know who any of the players are.

Dude, that's what Fox Soccer Channel is for.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #116 on: 19 Jan 2008, 08:23 »

It's a good thing that most people have the Fox Soccer Channel then

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #117 on: 19 Jan 2008, 08:24 »

Anyway, on the topic of American football...

Since I've got my throwback Pats jersey, I've worn it during every game, and they're 3-0. Superstition ahoy!

BobJoeJim

« Reply #118 on: 19 Jan 2008, 09:14 »

So in other words they're 14-0 this year when you don't wear it.  Since 14>3, I'd suggest perhaps your best option would be to not wear it, unless you want to be a FUCKING JINX.  I say this with all possible love of course.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #119 on: 19 Jan 2008, 10:20 »

Bob's got a point, Shane. The Pats did look lackluster last week. Maybe they're just so good they've been managing to win in spite of your jersey.

I recommend not pushing it. Burn the jersey.
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #120 on: 20 Jan 2008, 06:10 »

And then what? Stop taking my pants off during Sox playoff games?

NEVAR.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #121 on: 20 Jan 2008, 11:21 »

I do the same thing during Brewers playoff games too

Wait...

Fuck

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #122 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:15 »

"Ummm.... Help?"

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #123 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:19 »

God, that was such a terrible game.  Packers blew it on both offense and defense.  The better team clearly lost here and I'm fuckin pissed

Narr

« Reply #124 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:27 »

Man, there's an awful lot of Giants hate floating around.  I hate to break it to everyone, but they've been playing absolutely fantastic football in the Playoffs.  I think they've had the strongest defense through the entire playoffs, and they've had a solid enough offense to get and maintain a lead.  I was rooting for the Packers, but give credit where it's due: Plexico Buress and Eli Manning.  I don't know where you get off saying it was a terrible game, either, because ANY game that goes down to the wire like that = good game.

I think this'll be an exciting Super Bowl.  You've got the massive underdogs that almost beat the unbeaten in the final game of the season, a near loss that gave them the confidence to go in and play perfectly solid football in the post-season to get right back towards another attempt at Dynasty™.

I love stories like this.  I am so cheering for the Giants in this Super Bowl, because another team winning it entirely on the road just like the Steelers did a few years back would be freakin' awesome.  (And I hate the Patriots.)

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #125 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:32 »

Sorry, wrong wording there.  The Packers played a terrible game.

Narr

« Reply #126 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:41 »

Granted, they didn't play their best, but they weren't horrible.  I'd say they were too worried down the stretch and got so worked up they ended up throwing it away.  All those big penalties at the end reminds me of the Ravens game against the Patriots earlier this year.

You just can't do that, guys.  Penalties late in the game are such a killer.  Can't let emotion get to you like that.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #127 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:47 »

Pats game was fairly boring.

Giants game was pretty awesome!

Their kicker is so, so lucky he made that last field goal. I'm not sure he would've made it out of the stadium alive if they had lost.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #128 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:51 »

Considering I would be rooting for the Pats anyway, seeing the Giants gives me extra reason to root for them as I will stab myself in the face if I have to deal with another fucking year of commercials from one of the Mannings.

Also, I disagree, I think it was pretty exciting, for the most part. This year's been all about Brady and it was pretty awesome to see Maroney essentially carrying the team on his back.
JON MADE ME GAY

Narr

« Reply #129 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:59 »

The Pats game was, in fact, boring.  The fans in the crowd weren't even into it, like, at all.  I'm really upset at the Chargers for not taking advantage of the only way you can even beat the Patriots: turnovers.  They should have won that game but completely flubbing it in the red zone is not very cool.  Still, I don't mind seeing Philip Rivers have someone stick it to him, even if it is the Patriots.  Dude just needs to calm the hell down and shut the hell up.  Yelling at fans of the opposing team just makes you a douchebag because you never know if your whole career is going to be played with whatever team you're currently on, as well as the fact it's just bad sports.

OH GOD I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE SUPERBOWL HLLUHAGGLAUHGLUAGLUHLGHAUGHGLUAHG

Neuvost

« Reply #130 on: 20 Jan 2008, 20:09 »

Their kicker is so, so lucky he made that last field goal. I'm not sure he would've made it out of the stadium alive if they had lost.
Seriously. Those first two misses were painful, but they managed not to fuck up at the end! Go New York!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #131 on: 20 Jan 2008, 20:43 »

Considering I would be rooting for the Pats anyway, seeing the Giants gives me extra reason to root for them as I will stab myself in the face if I have to deal with another fucking year of commercials from one of the Mannings.

Speaking from someone living outside of New England, I can tell you that the Tom Brady hero worship isn't any less fucking irritating.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #132 on: 20 Jan 2008, 21:11 »

i- i think those peyton manning commercials are funny
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Narr

« Reply #133 on: 20 Jan 2008, 21:28 »

I agree.  The peptalk things are funny even to people who don't like football.  The oreo competition thing was pretty weird, though.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #134 on: 20 Jan 2008, 21:32 »

The most recent manning commercial is probably my favorite.  "Yeah, I know.  I'm as bummed as you are"
Fantastic

captain zoe

« Reply #135 on: 20 Jan 2008, 21:44 »

I love the Peyton commercials.  Specially the Peptalk ones. 

As far as the game goes.  I think a lot of the problems that the Pack encountered was the weather...I know they are generally used to that, but the weather tonight was pretty brutal.  I would have hated to be there.  At one point it said that it was warmer in Greenland than it was in Green Bay, haha. 

And I was pissed that the Pats won the other game.  I was rooting for San Deigo...sucks that they had to play with LT out and both Rivers and Gates injured.  They did keep the score pretty close though, up until the end.  They didn't let the Pats walk all over them. 

Mazlow01

• Plantmonster
  • Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed
    • myspace page
« Reply #136 on: 20 Jan 2008, 21:46 »

I am so happy rivers lost...have I stressed how much I hate that guy.

Damn it Farve you let me down. Well the giants gave the pats a run for their money at the end of the season so I think we will have a great superbowl.

Glad Marten has some balls. But he doesn't need to use them to teabag rabid animals for not thinking straight. Animal control is much easier.

Neuvost

« Reply #137 on: 20 Jan 2008, 22:13 »

As far as the game goes.  I think a lot of the problems that the Pack encountered was the weather...I know they are generally used to that, but the weather tonight was pretty brutal.  I would have hated to be there.  At one point it said that it was warmer in Greenland than it was in Green Bay, haha. 
If the temperature is a problem, you just don't have enough hustle, I say. No problem in a sport can't be solved by more hustle.

Tyler

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • SKULLTOPUS
« Reply #138 on: 21 Jan 2008, 09:42 »

No amount of hustle can make up for a lack of pep. Pep wins games.
Quote from: Lunchbox
It is not wussy. There are orifices being assaulted all over the shop.

captain zoe

« Reply #139 on: 21 Jan 2008, 10:18 »

This is true.  Still though I think playing in those extreme temps would have been fucking hard...

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #140 on: 21 Jan 2008, 10:44 »

Wait...

Fuck

Fuck that. No Pants Mojo is ours.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #141 on: 21 Jan 2008, 14:00 »

Wait...

Fuck

Fuck that. No Pants Mojo is ours.

Aw...come on...let me have my fun

The Brewers have been in the playoffs once in the franchise.

Dissy

« Reply #142 on: 21 Jan 2008, 14:09 »

God Damn Packers.

Although, I disagree, if the Giants' kicker missed that 3rd field goal, he would have been carried out of the stadium as a hero for the Pac Fans.

Quick:  What do Tom Brady and a cricus have in common?
I fuck at typos

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #143 on: 21 Jan 2008, 17:55 »

they both have elephants inside them

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #144 on: 21 Jan 2008, 21:36 »

Too lazy to quote things tonight, but in order they appear from top of page:

-LT and Rivers' injuries being underreported; bad decision.  When you've got one player who had to have surgery on his knee just to be able to play and will require more after the season, and another who may require surgery as well because he re-injured his knee, you really shouldn't be playing either of them.  Though I can look past this in Rivers' case, since he managed to play the whole game out.

-seriously, those peyton manning commercials are pretty funny.  Peyton Manning is my boy.  I think I've had him as a fantasy quarterback like three years in a row now

-tom brady and circuses both frighten small children

Also I'm still just happy that the redskins held Dallas to a single rushing yard in a game (-8 of which came from marion barber) to beat them by 21 to secure a playoff spot.  That was a magical night.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #145 on: 21 Jan 2008, 23:29 »

Personally I thought the Patriots/Chargers game was better than anyone could have hoped for, so I don't get the complaints that it was boring...

I mean the Chargers played their hearts out, Rivers was pretty solid, and when you consider the injury he was playing through it turns it into a basically awesome performance.  San Diego pretty thoroughly outplayed the, arguably, best NFL team ever, and had they not been utterly atrocious in the red zone probably would have won.  How did you not enjoy watching that game?

Narr

« Reply #146 on: 22 Jan 2008, 09:52 »

I suppose when it comes down to it, because the crowd was pretty much unresponsive.  It's easier to get into a game when you're watching it on TV when crowds are cheering and jeering.  A huge play would happen and there'd be silence, regardless of which team made it.

Basically:  THE PATRIOTS' FANS ARE BORED OF THEIR TEAM WINNING ALL THE TIME.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #147 on: 22 Jan 2008, 10:07 »

I can't argue that.  I mean, I absolutely love the idea of being undefeated, but I hope next year it's back to a normal season.  If next season is a repeat of this one, I probably wouldn't watch it. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Dissy

« Reply #148 on: 22 Jan 2008, 11:51 »

-tom brady and circuses both frighten small children

That's pretty good.

Tom Brady and a Circus both have two more rings than Peyten Manning.
I fuck at typos

0bsessions

• Quiki