THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The NFL Playoffs thread  (Read 42166 times)

Paav

Re: The NFL Playoffs thread
« Reply #150 on: 22 Jan 2008, 14:47 »

The most important lesson that should be learned from the past games is big men who practice blocking tend to block much better than receivers out of spread formations, which means you can run the ball and control the clock. Lawrence Maroney had 16 yards in the first half and the Patriots spent most of the time in the spread. Then the Patriots realized at half time that Brady was off, he was missing a lot of throws even if Kevin Faulk somehow managed to catch them (that guy is an absolute rock for that team).

So the Pats ran the ball, and they even did it out of running formations, with three TEs and sometimes even a fullback. In their last three drives they stuffed the ball down San Diego's throat. The Pats started their final drive with 9:13 seconds left at the 13 yard line, with a 9 point lead. This is far from a done deal, but they held on to the ball for 9 minutes running 15 plays to end the game! That is just great football. Boring, but great.

Offensive line men tend to out weigh D-line men by between 20-30 pounds each and most TEs and FBs are bigger than LBs. The defense will tire over the course of a game if you run the ball often enough, in crappy or cold weather its even more important. But most teams give up on the run after 5 minutes into the second quarter if it's not working yet. Look at Green Bay - New York, the Giants at least tried to keep some balance and they moved the ball. The Packers should have lost three different times in regulation, a fumbled interception set up the Packer FG to tie and the two missed FGs.

Not that any of this matters until next November or December, the Super Bowl is in Arizona, in a domed stadium so Brady will be able to go deep to Moss as much as he wants.

I realize its petty and mean, but the ending of the Giant game couldn't have ben sweeter for me. Favre almost immediately throws an interception to set up the winning field goal. Especially, after Aarom Kampman was whooping it up after winning  the coin toss. As a Viking fan (none of you have rooting horror stories like I have rooting horror stories, except Cleveland) Favre is my own personal anti-christ.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #151 on: 22 Jan 2008, 14:57 »

None of us?

Are you forgetting that before this decade, outside of the Celtics, New England was essentially one of the saddest sporting regions in North America? Particularly through the nineties. The Sox hadn't won it all in decades, the Pats were a joke, the Celtics were starting to descend into the joke they were for a while and the Bruins haven't been relevant in forever. We know heartache.

Shit, I still get a little pissed off about Aaron fucking Boone and Grady Little's inability to handle a pitcher. Lord knows how people like my grandmother, who had to live through Bucky fucking Dent, feel.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #152 on: 22 Jan 2008, 18:34 »

Ah, Aaron fucking Boone.

What a fantastic night.

I can still remember like it was yesterday.  It's like midnight, it's the bottom of the elventh, Aaron Boone hits one to the upper deck, the Yankees go to the Series, and I'm running up and down my street without a shirt on screaming in like 20 degree weather.

Damn that was a good night.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #153 on: 22 Jan 2008, 18:49 »

And a few short weeks later, they were on their way to blowing the World Series against a team with under a quarter of their payroll.

Ah, good times (I can be bitter if I want).
JON MADE ME GAY

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #154 on: 22 Jan 2008, 19:02 »

It makes me so happy when the Yankees lost in the first round last year
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #155 on: 22 Jan 2008, 19:17 »

Myself as well, but I can relate to SilentJ. I remember 2004 quite vividly. I damn near keeled over during each of the last four games of the ALCS. Not to mention, rooting for the Pats this season, I can sympathize with some of the crap Yankees fans catch.
JON MADE ME GAY

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #156 on: 22 Jan 2008, 20:02 »

Let me guess, stuff along the lines of "THEY ONLY WIN BECAUSE THEY BUY ALL THE BEST TALENT" and "YOU ONLY LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE THE BEST"?

'Cos I've been catching that shit since I was like 6.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Narr

« Reply #157 on: 22 Jan 2008, 20:20 »

I have to say that I really hate the Yankees.  I think one of the reasons I don't like baseball as a whole is because of the Yankees, to be honest.  It's downright boring that 99% of the time, the team to beat in any given year?  The Yankees.  It's been that way since before I was born and it'll probably be that way when I finally die.  Dynasties in sports are kind of a bummer because it takes a lot of the fun out of it.  That's one thing I like about college basketball.  Yeah, some teams are pretty much always good but you never really know which is the best until the very, very, very end of the year.

At least with football, you just gotta be patient.  The Patriots' success won't last forever, and neither will any other team's.  I mean, during the 80s and into the 90s, it was like the team to beat was the 49s, but proof you don't stay good forever would be them this season.  A new coach will come in or a star player will get hurt or traded or pretend to retire just to sign on with a better team (*coughjrseaucough*).

Off topic:  While trying to find the season records of the Patriots on Wikipedia, I noticed Pete Carroll was the last head coach of Dynasty™.  I just find that interesting.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #158 on: 22 Jan 2008, 20:49 »

Let me guess, stuff along the lines of "THEY ONLY WIN BECAUSE THEY BUY ALL THE BEST TALENT"?

And are you going to deny that? Because they do spend 80 million dollars more than the Red Sox, who have the second highest payroll in Major League Baseball.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #159 on: 22 Jan 2008, 21:01 »

I am not going to deny that, but nor will I hold it against them, because Steinbrenner has the money to sign these players, so he's going to do it.  The upper brass of the Yankees organization has the funding to maintain what the team has become, and they're going to do it.  They're not just gonna sit back on their laurels in the interest of "making things fair" or whatever bullshit you can feed me.

So, no I'm not going to deny it.  But it pisses me off, because if another team did the same thing, the fans of that team would catch the same shit.  This point is only brought to light because the Yankees are good.  It's the same reason people hate them so much, merely because they're good, so people find whatever reason they can to hold something against them.

I guess the reason I'm so bitter is because literally every baseball fan I know that isn't a Yankees fan maintains that you either love or hate the Yanks, there is no middle ground.  And this pisses me off.  Especially when people tell me their favorite team and I have to kindly remind them that the Yankees do not give a rat's ass about the Twins/Giants/Reds/Nationals/etc.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #160 on: 22 Jan 2008, 21:56 »

I have to say that I really hate the Yankees.  I think one of the reasons I don't like baseball as a whole is because of the Yankees, to be honest.  It's downright boring that 99% of the time, the team to beat in any given year?  The Yankees.  It's been that way since before I was born and it'll probably be that way when I finally die.  Dynasties in sports are kind of a bummer because it takes a lot of the fun out of it.  That's one thing I like about college basketball.  Yeah, some teams are pretty much always good but you never really know which is the best until the very, very, very end of the year.

Actually, when you were born, the Yankees were pretty effectively garbage. Outside of '81, they didn't even sniff the playoffs. They made it to and lost the World Series in '81 and didn't make it back until '96. Of the last 25 World Series, the Yankees have actually only won two more World Series than the next leader (Which includes the Marlins, a team that's not even two decades old, the Royals who are considered perennial cellar dwellers). The Rays are actually the only team in the Al East to not have at least one World Series victory in the last two and a half decades.

At least with football, you just gotta be patient.  The Patriots' success won't last forever, and neither will any other team's.  I mean, during the 80s and into the 90s, it was like the team to beat was the 49s, but proof you don't stay good forever would be them this season.  A new coach will come in or a star player will get hurt or traded or pretend to retire just to sign on with a better team (*coughjrseaucough*).

That's the same with ANY sport. You clearly haven't bothered to do accurate research before spouting this off. No dynasty lasts forever. Sure, certain teams will repeat success every once in a while, but every team has its highs and lows. The Red Sox are current reigning champs of the MLB and are considered favorites to repeat at the moment. In ten years' time, though? They could be in fourth place in their division. Ownership could change, a salary cap could be introduced, they could start making some piss poor decisions. Anything can happen.

Let me guess, stuff along the lines of "THEY ONLY WIN BECAUSE THEY BUY ALL THE BEST TALENT" and "YOU ONLY LIKE THEM BECAUSE THEY'RE THE BEST"?

Actually, no. The former, most definitely not, considering the NFL has a salary cap. It's one of my few problems with the MLB really, is that it's the only pro sport in the US without one, which is how you get people complaining about a lack of parity (Which is true to an extent, but not as bad as people make it out to be, there're 17 different WS champs in the last 25 years).

So, no I'm not going to deny it.  But it pisses me off, because if another team did the same thing, the fans of that team would catch the same shit.  This point is only brought to light because the Yankees are good.  It's the same reason people hate them so much, merely because they're good, so people find whatever reason they can to hold something against them.

That used to be true, but at this point it's mostly because of the attitude the Yankees, and many of their fans for a while, carried. The most telling factor of that is that the Yankees really aren't that great anymore. The last few years, Steinbrenner's been trying to buy his way back to a championship, ignoring the fact that it's very tough to do so. Sure, they're a damn good team, but they've got zero chemistry and have become notorious for choking when it really matters. Welcome to the A-Rod era. Most of the work in those dynasty years was done by guys brought up through their farm system that were brought in while his dumb ass was banned from the MLB. Hank looks like he's off to a really bad start too. Next time I hear that douche talk about what it "means to be a Yankee" or any of the other crap he spouts implying that just being the Yankees makes them better, I'm gonna drive to NY and deck the putz.

I guess the reason I'm so bitter is because literally every baseball fan I know that isn't a Yankees fan maintains that you either love or hate the Yanks, there is no middle ground.  And this pisses me off.  Especially when people tell me their favorite team and I have to kindly remind them that the Yankees do not give a rat's ass about the Twins/Giants/Reds/Nationals/etc.

And that's the problem with the Yankees and some of their fans these days. They don't take anyone else seriously. If you're not big market, you're off their radar. This is how they got smoked out of the Series by two expansion teams this decade. They go in with their Yankee swagger, assuming people will just collapse and cry because they have to face the mighty Yankees while the other team is actually playing them twice as hard just to shut them up. I remember points in the beginning of the season where half the damn roster was on the DL and fans were still saying they were the best team in the MLB. It's not the fact they're good people hate them over. If that were the case, people would shit on the Angels constantly. People hate them because they're so damn complacent. It doesn't hurt that they're playing in what is currently a very weak division (Outside of themselves and the Sox, the Al East is pretty effectively garbage right now and it doesn't appear likely to change soon).
JON MADE ME GAY

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #161 on: 22 Jan 2008, 22:11 »

SPOOOOORTS
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #162 on: 22 Jan 2008, 22:45 »

You'll be as fast as KENYANS
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #163 on: 23 Jan 2008, 07:42 »

Gaaaaaah, is that Monty?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Narr

« Reply #164 on: 23 Jan 2008, 08:04 »

Obsessions is living up to his forum handle right now.

What part of "I don't like Baseball" do you not understand?  Take what I have to say about baseball as what any casually disinterested person in something would.  Sorry if, due to marketing, television, and general baseball culture if I was to assume the Yankees are the team to beat, all the time, regardless of if they are actually good or not.

Paav

« Reply #165 on: 23 Jan 2008, 08:10 »

People can say everything they want about hating dynasties in sports but that's all garbage. Having someone to hate is what adds that extra visceral layer to the lasagna that is fandom. That way even if your team is down and out you can still root for someone even if it is only to beat up on another team. Without my hatred for the Packers this post season would have been stale and boring. You need Duke, the Yankees, Red Sox (people are finally starting to hate them too and its about time), Lakers, Cowboys and even the Patriots. Without a villian there is no entertainment.

So rejoice you can either root for or against perfection but just remember this Super Bowl would suck without the Patriots.

I am attempting to steer this back to football. I would like a baseball thread but I think that would work better, you know, not in the run up to the Super Bowl.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #166 on: 23 Jan 2008, 08:24 »

Obsessions is living up to his forum handle right now.

What part of "I don't like Baseball" do you not understand?  Take what I have to say about baseball as what any casually disinterested person in something would.  Sorry if, due to marketing, television, and general baseball culture if I was to assume the Yankees are the team to beat, all the time, regardless of if they are actually good or not.

I assume you've heard the old saying: "Better to keep your mouth shut and look the fool than open your mouth and confirm it."

So yeah, how about them Super Bowls folks? Seems that mini-drama concerning Brady wearing a boot seems to have blown over right quick.
JON MADE ME GAY

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #167 on: 23 Jan 2008, 08:53 »

As a Viking fan (none of you have rooting horror stories like I have rooting horror stories, except Cleveland) Favre is my own personal anti-christ.

You think you have horror stories as a fan?  I'm a "longtime Cubs fan", as in the Chi Cubs.  The Cubs are the wrost best team.  They get so many good players and still can't win.

And in football, I've been a Pats fan since the late 90's.  I've been a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs.  You want a horror story, The Chiefs haven't won a playoff game in 14 years.  About 11 years ago, they were the best team in thier division, had first round bye.  The next week, they played against their rivals, the hated Denver Broncos, and it was an excellent game.  Came down to the last seconds of the game.  KC was in Field Goal range, with mere seconds left on the clock.  The kicker hits it perfectly, but, alas there is a penalty.  Facemask, on KC, but, if you take a look at the replay, you see that the guy who got called for the facemask never touched the other man's facemask, the opposite was true.  Broncos win, and Mr. Ed and co. go on to win thier first ring.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Narr

« Reply #168 on: 23 Jan 2008, 09:02 »

Yes.  Football.

SO LIKE

i thought the fact people were even talking about Tom Brady wearing a boot was pretty ridiculous.  One of the Mikes from Mike and Mike's Radio Show was on NFL Today the other day saying "The ONLY reason we're talking about this AT ALL is because we can and have nothing else really serious to talk about for about a week."

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #169 on: 23 Jan 2008, 09:25 »

Pretty much. It's sad that in this day and age, for people to not lose interest, sports stations essentially manufacture stories for the sake of seeming relevant.

In other news, Johan Santana still hasn't been traded. Trade talks haven't moved and he hasn't released any statements, but I thought I'd update everyone that absolutely nothing newsworthy has happened. Followup articles as news continues to not develop.

I'm pretty sure sports media should be killed off.
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #170 on: 23 Jan 2008, 09:29 »

But then there wouldn't be old guys yelling at each other on PTI!

I watch it for argument value, not sports.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

VisualRhetoricProject

« Reply #171 on: 23 Jan 2008, 11:23 »

I hope Brady is still in a cast for the game, and a fire erupts on the field causing all the players to pansily run over the fans to safety, because the Giants don't deserve to go to the Superbowl, and I HATE the Pats.

VIVA LA BROWNS!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #172 on: 23 Jan 2008, 11:33 »

Considering he was seen out of the cast already as early as late Monday, you're in for some disappointment.
JON MADE ME GAY

Narr

« Reply #173 on: 23 Jan 2008, 11:51 »

God, still with the Giants bashing.

The Steelers didn't "deserve" to go to the Super Bowl a couple years ago and ended up winning it, so calm down already.  They earned a spot in the playoffs and beat every team they encountered.  If they don't deserve to go to the Super Bowl, then what the fuck do you have to do to earn the rights?

Paav

« Reply #174 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:36 »

I'm no fan of the Giants but they are far and away playing the best football of any team right now. I don't think they are better than any team who made the playoffs in the AFC, the Cowboys, Seahawks or the Packers, but they deserve to be where they are because they have actually been making plays in the playoffs. Eli Manning is the best quarterback in the playoffs right now, Brady was shaky against San Diego, Billy Vollek not Phillip Rivers beat Indianopolis, in which game Peyton was stopped, Brett Favre threw two big interceptions against the Giants. Eli Manning wins against all of those guys if only by process of elimination, he hasn't turned the ball over and his team is still playing.

I still think the Patriots will walk all over the Giants particularly because the weather will not be a factor, but that doesn't change that up to this point the Giants have played the best in the playoffs.

Teams getting hot at the end of the season is the best argument against the winner of a tournament being the "Best Team" in a league.

*The walking cast is just a Belichick mind game*

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #175 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:40 »

Everyone will watch it if it happens again next year, just hoping that someone beats the Pats. But, it won't happen again next year.

...will it?

VisualRhetoricProject

« Reply #176 on: 23 Jan 2008, 12:48 »

God, still with the Giants bashing.

The Steelers didn't "deserve" to go to the Super Bowl a couple years ago and ended up winning it, so calm down already.  They earned a spot in the playoffs and beat every team they encountered.  If they don't deserve to go to the Super Bowl, then what the fuck do you have to do to earn the rights?

Consistent playing.  I hate to add to Giant bashing, and I'm not a fan of either team.  Brady always pulls out in he last quarter, so it'll probably be a good game until the end of the 3rd.  I say Eli doesn't deserve to go because the Giants have just barely pulled together in their games to win.  They are SLOPPY and awkward. 

However, I concede.  The only thing needed to "deserve" to go to the Superbowl is to beat everyone else.  So, you're right!  I'm wrong!  I still hate the Giants!

Narr

« Reply #177 on: 23 Jan 2008, 15:57 »

I don't see how a close game is an indication of sloppy.  I concede that they started the season pretty rough, but I think they're playing better than any other team right now.  I also think the playoff games they won weren't as close as score would indicate.  Green Bay had two giant plays that basically gave them 14 of their 20 points.  Yes, you can't afford to give up big plays and that does show weakness in a team, but OTHER THAN THOSE TWO PLAYS, the Giants played excellent football against the Packers.  The Cowboys game was pretty much the same.

I think the Giants have a better chance of beating the Patriots than any other team, anyway.  I thought that before they even earned the Super Bowl trip.  They were the only ones that gave them a run for their money the ENTIRE SEASON that didn't throw the game away.  Every other team that was doing well against them always ended making huge errors (seriously, Baltimore, how many f***ing penalties do you need to commit while the Patriots were on O? retards) that cost them, rather than it simply being the Patriots making big plays.

I think it'll be a great game, basically.  I really dislike the Patriots, and never felt one way or the other about the Giants but the genuine effort they've put together this post-season makes me like them.

Narr

« Reply #178 on: 03 Feb 2008, 11:44 »

Bump because the Super Bowl is on in a couple of hours.

I'm excited, guys.  Can you tell?  I'm very excited.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #179 on: 03 Feb 2008, 13:30 »

None of us?

Are you forgetting that before this decade, outside of the Celtics, New England was essentially one of the saddest sporting regions in North America? Particularly through the nineties. The Sox hadn't won it all in decades, the Pats were a joke, the Celtics were starting to descend into the joke they were for a while and the Bruins haven't been relevant in forever. We know heartache.

Shit, I still get a little pissed off about Aaron fucking Boone and Grady Little's inability to handle a pitcher. Lord knows how people like my grandmother, who had to live through Bucky fucking Dent, feel.

Uh, you do realize that back when hockey still mattered the Minnesota North Stars went to the Stanley Cup finals only to get blown out 8-0 in game 7, the biggest blowout in modern NHL Finals history and was promptly sold after the next season, right? The Timberwolves? Three words: Kevin Fucking McHale. As for the Twins, how about Puckett suddenly going blind in one eye? Or the contraction happy owner, Carl Pohald (Richest owner in baseball; three times richer than Steinbrenner) who cleared the team of everyone making a million dollars by the '98 season ('cept for Radke)? Which brings us to 1998 and the star of the show: the god damn Vikings. Try being the fan of a 15-1 team who misses the Super Bowl when their kicker who had a perfect season up 'till that point suddenly can't make a field goal. Then there's the Herschel Walker trade, Korey Stringer's death, the Randy Ratio, the 2003 collapse in which the Vikings missed the playoffs due to a last second TD by the Cardinals, lost the 2001 NFC Championship game to the Giants 41-0, and of course, the colorful string of failures in the Superbowl during the 1960s.

Oh, I nearly forgot: Pohlad just let Santana go too, despite the fact that the state finally just caved into his stadium demands. And you know what the saddest thing is? I still would rather be a Minnesota fan than a Cleveland, Philadelphia, Atlanta or Buffalo fan. Even tossing out the recent success of the Sox and Patriots, Boston fans have had it pretty good; there's a lot of teams out there that have had devestating losses and no truly dominant teams in their history to show for it.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2008, 13:41 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #180 on: 03 Feb 2008, 14:07 »

Man, before the Pats won their first Super Bowl, this city hadn't won a pro sports championship since the '86 Celtics. In football, we'd NEVER seen a championship and in baseball it'd been 86 years. The Bruins haven't won the finals since 1972. Boston was, for a long time, the big well-known long suffering sports city. We've passed that torch on to Cleveland and Minnesota's got nothing to bitch about compared to them.

But, by all means, let's continue this "wah, wah, I can cry more than you can" contest.
JON MADE ME GAY

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #181 on: 03 Feb 2008, 14:10 »

I'm from Philly.

So basically, fuck everyone.  This city has been so barren of sports success, there's a movie and a Wikipedia page about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_Billy_Penn

Oh, and fuck the Giants, and fuck the Pats.  I'll let them show me massive men violently wrestling and tackling each other over a piece of leather, but I'm going to be cheering at interceptions no matter who makes them.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #182 on: 03 Feb 2008, 14:13 »

I dislike both teams so I don't care a great deal about the game. I'm considering watching for the ads, but I have a paper to write so I'll probably just go look up the good ones online after the fact.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #183 on: 03 Feb 2008, 14:16 »

That's because you're also the big well-known media center alongside New York, the big well-known media center who happens to be your rival. It's like if Paris Hilton stubbed her toe during a slapfight with Britney Spears in LA and suddenly it's seen as a tragedy. Seriously, whoever gets the most attention is whoever whines about it the loudest. Cleveland definitely has it worse off than Minny, but how about Buffalo and the consecutive Superbowl losses? And Cleveland's always had it worse than you guys; at least you guys never lost any of your teams.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2008, 14:25 by Whipstitch »

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #184 on: 03 Feb 2008, 14:42 »

My family's watching the game as a bonding experience. We really don't know that much about football and we don't care who wins but we like the commercials, know the rules enough to follow the game, and are having an awesome time making home-made buffalo wings! Yes, I am bringing cooking into this thread.

We've got three flavors mixed up:
You're basic Frank's Hot sauce and butter
Honey barbecue and Jack Daniels
Brown Sugar and Chipotle barbecue

man, I haven't eaten today, and these are looking pretty fuckin' good. We've got like somewhere around 120, bought 4 packs of fifteen full wings and I butchered em up, using the tips to make broth for something, since I didn't want to waste em.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #185 on: 03 Feb 2008, 16:58 »

And Cleveland's always had it worse than you guys; at least you guys never lost any of your teams.

Actually, we have. The Braves were in Boston for a good long time before moving to Milwaukee and then on to Atlanta.

Also, the Pats actually almost left too. Back in the nineties, before Kraft bought them, the team was on the verge of packing up and heading to St. Louis.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #186 on: 03 Feb 2008, 17:02 »

Ah, you're right; I forgot about that since it was in like, what, the late 1940s? I'm too lazy to google it.

Also, for once the Pats offensive line isn't dominating the trenches. Hopefully they turn that around.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2008, 17:21 by Whipstitch »

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #187 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:00 »

Damn.

This is dramatic.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #188 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:08 »

I'm pissed. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #189 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:10 »

Oh man, the last 2 and a half minutes, absolutely brilliant man. I still can't believe Eli managed to break free there and make that catch, that was by far the play of the game. And it looked awesome on our 40 inch HDTV too. I'm no huge fan, but me my dad and my brothers must have been screaming for a minute.

I'm happy.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #190 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:11 »

Yeah, that 30 yard Manning-Tyree pass was a real backbreaker.

Narr

« Reply #191 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:11 »

I can't believe what I just witnessed.  Truly, this is the greatest sporting moment I have ever witnessed in my entire life.  My poetic side is waxing with more metaphors than is appropriate, so suffice it to say, the New York Football Giants defeated the New England Patriots, 17 to 14, in Super Bowl 42.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #192 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:14 »

Oh man, and Plaxico Burress looked so happy too, he was crying right there larger than life on our television. You could tell when he made the winning touchdown catch that it took a good two or three seconds for him to realize it.

What I'm saying of course is, How can you be pissed if a man named Plaxico is crying with joy?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #193 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:23 »

I wonder if Bellicheck broke a hip falling off his high horse.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #194 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:32 »

I rather doubt it; I think he's too obsessive to not just already be planning for next year. I was sorta hoping the Patriots would win but that 30 yarder in their final drive by the Giants won me over.
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2008, 19:34 by Whipstitch »

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #195 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:47 »

fuck you, Tom Brady! That game was awesome. Being in WI, everyone I watched it with was upset that GB wasn't playing and most of us wanted to see the Pats fail. I feel good now, because at least we can say that Favre lost to the Super Bowl champs.

Also, in true Wisconsinite form, the super bowl party I went to was a Deep-frying party as well, we had 3 fryers going deep-frying everything you can think of. Potato chips, pickles, onion rings, jalapeño poppers, cheese curds, corn dogs, bananas, and more. I was fairly certain the combination of the massive intake of fatty foods and the stress of the last 2 minutes of that game was going to result in everyone present having a heart attack.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #196 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:49 »

Considering that a lot of key players for the Patriots are probably retiring after this season, I wouldn't go in expecting another Super Bowl bid from them.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #197 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:50 »

Yeah, that last drive by the Giants definitely convinced me, they deserved to win that game.  I have to say that that was probably the most dramatic and entertaining football game I've ever seen.
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #198 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:54 »

I am not a big football guy, but I like New York.  So, I decided to root for their team . Tonight, I got what it was all about.  Man, that was a fucking incredible game.  I am glad I saw this one.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #199 on: 03 Feb 2008, 19:57 »

Fuck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up