Neither like nor dislike
- 8 (4.3%)
Somewhat dislike
- 16 (8.7%)
Strongly dislike
- 7 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you like Faye, as a character?  (Read 122116 times)

La

Re: Do you like Faye, as a character?
« Reply #50 on: 28 Jan 2008, 15:59 »

I agree with La entirely.

Quoted for posterity... to remind myself that someone once agreed with me about Dora. Haha.

Now, I have to say I do agree about the stasis of Faye and how frustrating it is. I want her to be back in the picture and be interesting again, instead of taking a backseat to Dora. I'll admit, I got a bit sick of it when she was constantly snarking about Dora and Marten and whether they were having sex or not, but thankfully that's over. That's really the only time I've been annoyed with her, because I was like "dude Faye, butt out." I'm not annoyed with her right now in the stage of development she's in, I just miss her.

Amadeus

« Reply #51 on: 28 Jan 2008, 22:08 »

La, I see where you're coming from with the friend comment before, but I could totally see them being friends with her. Now, she might not be someone they'd seek out as a friend, but she made friends with them though circumstance. With Marten, he shares musical tastes with her, along with their senses of humor, so naturally they'd get along. The mutual attractions helped, obviously.

With Dora, she worked with Dora, and their similar contempt for the customers(which I accidentally type as "costumers" way too often) and, like before, senses of humor.

Sure, she's got a lot of problems, but once you scratch the surface, you'd find many people have a dark background. I am a cheerful guy, but I've got plenty of women issues myself, as my mom was a drug addict who beat me and would leave for days on end, ditching me with relatives. Thankfully, like Jeph, I was eventually adopted. Now, I have plenty of friends that don't share my background, but while they can't relate to my problems sometimes, thankfully, they have a surprising amount of patience with me, and still remain my friends.

Sorry if I completely missed the point, I admit I'm really out of it right now. I am tired.

Joybee

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #52 on: 28 Jan 2008, 23:54 »

At the comics very beginnings, I thought she was kind of annoying, but as her personality and the whole comic evolved I saw a lot of things about her that I could relate to myself, and she is now my favourite character. I see a lot of Marten in my own boyfriend, and Dora reminds me of a friend of mine who i can get very jealous of, so it's really hard for me to see those two characters together, probably just as much as it is for fictional Faye.
I've only discovered this webcomic last week, and I read the whole thing over the course of three school days. When Marten and Dora got together I got so angry I had to keep telling myself that they were fictional characters xD
Now I'm like, Faye better get some boy action soon or ill seriously think about maybe only reading the comic every weekend... maybe!

just-another-andy

« Reply #53 on: 29 Jan 2008, 02:10 »

Faye is quite possibly my favourite character besides Hanners. OCD is funny.

numbvox

• Plantmonster
  • Elmo is gay.
« Reply #54 on: 29 Jan 2008, 08:51 »

Boobs = win.

Thus:
Faye > Dora.

[/discussion]

Grimmy

« Reply #55 on: 29 Jan 2008, 11:45 »

I like Faye, but i wanted the dora-marty hook up from day one.

I would like to see the expansion of the friendship of Doras brother and Faye. It would help both of them, and expand them as characters (bringing more to doras brother, and interjecting their parents into the story.) they can even go so far as try to get faye and doras brother to hook up, and we all know, when your parents say someone is PERFECT for you, it means you two will NEVER hook up.

Grimmy
forgot doras brother's name...)Captain Obvious strikes again!!!(

Amadeus

« Reply #56 on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:45 »

I like Faye, but i wanted the dora-marty hook up from day one.

I would like to see the expansion of the friendship of Doras brother and Faye. It would help both of them, and expand them as characters (bringing more to doras brother, and interjecting their parents into the story.) they can even go so far as try to get faye and doras brother to hook up, and we all know, when your parents say someone is PERFECT for you, it means you two will NEVER hook up.

Grimmy
forgot doras brother's name...)Captain Obvious strikes again!!!(
Sven.

Naoko

« Reply #57 on: 29 Jan 2008, 12:48 »

Was anyone else bothered by Marten's comment in the recent comic about Faye? Something along the lines of "I try to be a good friend but she gets weird when it's you and me and her."

I thought Marten sounded like a total jerk there, sorry. What does he expect, though? Girl likes you, girl has problems, you date other girl, then try to hang out with both? Yeah, it's going to be awkward. I feel bad myself when I'm with my boyfriend and just a single friend - I don't want to make them feel like a third wheel, but I'm sure it's awkward for a friend at times, since we're holding hands and all. So yeah, why wouldn't it be awkward for Faye, or for anyone else for that matter?

I guess Marten and Dora are trying to make Faye feel more welcome, but they don't seem to know how to do it right. "Hey, want to go with Marten on me on a date, we're tottly going to make out in the movies, lololols." It doesn't work that way.

Amadeus

« Reply #58 on: 29 Jan 2008, 22:07 »

Was anyone else bothered by Marten's comment in the recent comic about Faye? Something along the lines of "I try to be a good friend but she gets weird when it's you and me and her."

I thought Marten sounded like a total jerk there, sorry. What does he expect, though? Girl likes you, girl has problems, you date other girl, then try to hang out with both? Yeah, it's going to be awkward. I feel bad myself when I'm with my boyfriend and just a single friend - I don't want to make them feel like a third wheel, but I'm sure it's awkward for a friend at times, since we're holding hands and all. So yeah, why wouldn't it be awkward for Faye, or for anyone else for that matter?

I guess Marten and Dora are trying to make Faye feel more welcome, but they don't seem to know how to do it right. "Hey, want to go with Marten on me on a date, we're tottly going to make out in the movies, lololols." It doesn't work that way.
I don't think he's being a jerk, he's just frustrated. Their situation has likely been wearing him down somewhat, considering he jumped from one stressful situation with her to another.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
« Reply #59 on: 29 Jan 2008, 23:57 »

And don't forget how long he waited patiently for her to decide what she wanted. He's always been available to her, as friend, companion and puppy dog, and after stringing him along (well, how would you phrase it?) for much too long, she leaves him hanging.
Yes, he seems cranky about it - it was hugely frustrating.  For me too - I love Faye and Marten, always thought they'd be good for each other, and was always feeling, Just Get Together Already!!!
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2008, 00:01 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Naoko

« Reply #60 on: 30 Jan 2008, 20:07 »

I didn't mean he shouldn't be frustrated. I meant, he doesn't seem to understand the meaning of sympathy. Asking your friend who has a crush on you to go on a date with you with your girlfriend, and then getting upset when she acts weird, that's not sympathy. That's just kind of... stupid.

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #61 on: 31 Jan 2008, 01:20 »

oh, ok, i see what you mean, sorry.  I was reacting to the "total jerk" and remembering his patience while she even teased him sometimes (the Charlie Brown moment, i forget which comic it was.)

I think there were more steps in there:
Girl likes you, girl has problems, [girl moves into your apartment, you get to know each other, you both realize you like and are attracted to each other, but girl has issues; you wait for her to sort them out, and wait, and wait; eventually she tells you her tragic story, but ends up saying she's not ready, and you should date someone else.] you date other girl, then try to hang out with both?
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 01:35 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #62 on: 31 Jan 2008, 06:58 »

Great character, but recently she hasn't developed too much. 
I think it would only take one or two scenes to really get her character in the fast lane again and it doesn't have to be by sexin up a fella.  Perhaps just a scene of her snapping and drawing pictures of clowns in crayon around the apartment.

newsboxsbitch

« Reply #63 on: 03 Feb 2008, 10:46 »

Guh anything but clowns!

OnewingedAngel

« Reply #64 on: 03 Feb 2008, 21:57 »

She's become the punchline.

Serious conversation
Serious conversation
Tagline!
Silence

Or at least that's how it seems to me. I'd really enjoy seeing Faye get a bigger role again. She's what originally drew me to the comic.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 04 Feb 2008, 15:46 »

Tomart,

The Charlie Brown moment was strip 95. Could lend new meaning to "tasty pancakes".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #66 on: 05 Feb 2008, 00:26 »

Faye has become bothersome to many people, I think, because of her basic problem—she is very inclined to remain in stasis. That why Faye seems in a rut: she is. She's trying to break out of it, though. I see her foray with Hanners as the most recent attempt at that. It's a good idea: if hanging with Maten and Dora gets her down, try socializing with someone else. So hoorays for that.

Don't be too down on Marten. His recent comment is pretty normal mostly because, although Marten, being Mrten, would never admit it, he's furious: at Faye, at what's happened to her (in the past), at the fact he can't seem to help, and at the fact that the best thing he can do is to move on. It's natural to blame Faye herself, but he doesn't really mean it. If he did, he would move out.

The character I least like right now is actually Dora, who has everything Faye wishes she has and yet is allowing her insecurities to undermine it. I understand this reaction, and probably resemble it, which is likely why I dislike Dora so. Nobody likes a good mirror.

Despite outward appearances, Faye is probably QC's strongest Character. I am glad she's stopped the random beatings of Martn, though. That was getting old. Maybe she'll beat Sven, now. God knows he needs it.

Odd. I now seem completely incapable of typing MArten without making a goof.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #67 on: 05 Feb 2008, 01:31 »

Thanks, cold; that comic was way back when I thought Marten and Faye would be getting together Any Day Now...
(I like your kitten wrapped around that radiator; we had kittens and radiators when I was little.)  :)

Edit:  I've always liked feisty females, and smarties, and - fat bottoms too.   The only part of Faye that bothered me was the very real, hard punches she kept giving Marten. Bit of role-reversal, methinks, and sublimating her desires to touch nicely.

Edit:  Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to punch those who deserve it most.  Only the boy she had feelings for.
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2008, 21:08 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

DigiSim

« Reply #68 on: 06 Feb 2008, 15:44 »

I love her, plain and simple. I just like girls like her. I don't know why. In my mind, she's grouped in with girls like Daria & Jane, Raven (from the cartoon Teen Titans, not the comic), Velma Dinkley, among others.

Kerr Avon

« Reply #69 on: 06 Feb 2008, 22:19 »

I'm in love with Faye.  As a character.  I... I just filled this page up with words expressing how deeply, but I erased it all.  No amount of words could convey so pure an emotion.   :cry: :cry: :cry:

AshAshes

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #70 on: 07 Feb 2008, 15:29 »

I'm actually REALLY starting to like her again.
She had her boring phase, but I dunno, she's starting to entertain me more and more each comic.

Scruffy

• The Janitor
« Reply #71 on: 08 Feb 2008, 06:40 »

I'm actually REALLY starting to like her again.
She had her boring phase, but I dunno, she's starting to entertain me more and more each comic.

These last few panels have been fun.  I think she will probably start to loosen up.  It does look like she's out and about.  I just don't want to hear the same, "Listen, I may still have feelings..." song and dance again. 

OnewingedAngel

« Reply #72 on: 08 Feb 2008, 07:27 »

I don't think we are quite done with that. It would be very abrupt, and very fanservicey (that should be a word), which isn't always a good thing. I really do like her again after these last 4 or 5 strips.

Scruffy

• The Janitor
« Reply #73 on: 08 Feb 2008, 08:13 »

@OnewingedAngel

I think you are probably right.  Part of the thing I enjoy most is that Jeph doesn't cater to the masses.  I'd much rather be wrong about what happens next than be right.  Or have my hopes be replaced with, "Oooo, I see what you did there."

Hopefully though, he'll throw us a bone on the resolution of Faye and Dora's relationship.  Right now it's a little awkward.

Or not, it's all good.

OnewingedAngel

« Reply #74 on: 08 Feb 2008, 09:18 »

I dunno, I kind of like seeing Dora insecure and freaking out because she still feels like she stole Marten, at least on some level, from her friend and is afraid he'll leave her.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #75 on: 08 Feb 2008, 09:27 »

Part of the thing I enjoy most is that Jeph doesn't cater to the masses.

Sometimes it feels like he does something just as bad, though, which is changing the storyline in order to not do what the forumites think will/should/could happen.

I think in general the less Jeph read the General Discussion forum the better things would be, because no matter what, on some level he is at least subconciously influenced by what "the masses" are saying.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 08 Feb 2008, 10:22 »

Yes, and we are silly masses, at that.
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

OnewingedAngel

« Reply #77 on: 08 Feb 2008, 10:27 »

I prefer "smart masses" myself.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #78 on: 08 Feb 2008, 11:57 »

I'll go for latin masses.

Sorry.
I just asked this question on the 'Ask Jeph' thread. I do like Faye, she's a strong and complex character. She does seem to have been in a minor role recently, but in an ensemble cast like this different people will shine at different times. You can't focus on everyone at once.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2008, 12:01 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #79 on: 08 Feb 2008, 12:13 »

We are the "fans" in fanservice! :lol:
Irresponsible Adult GOM

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #80 on: 08 Feb 2008, 15:49 »

No, no, no. My momma always told me, "Nobody likes smart masses."

Look around. You know it's true.

On the other hand, everyone seems to be keen on the Latin masses lately.

And they said all those Piers Anthony novels would rot my brain.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #81 on: 10 Feb 2008, 14:24 »

We are the "fans" in fanservice!

Except that QC has less fanservice than Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #82 on: 10 Feb 2008, 21:32 »

Sometimes it feels like he does something just as bad, though, which is changing the storyline in order to not do what the forumites think will/should/could happen.

I think in general the less Jeph read the General Discussion forum the better things would be, because no matter what, on some level he is at least subconciously influenced by what "the masses" are saying.

A lot of the time the fans' expectations can be dashed just by practicing a little non-cliched storytelling, and that's fine as long as the plot doesn't turn into Jeph trying to pull improbable shit out of his ass in order to confound our expectations.  But yeah, I can see where you're coming from, and I can remember cartoonists that stopped reading the on-topic boards as a result.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2008, 22:45 by Uber Ritter »
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

donovangelonardo

« Reply #83 on: 10 Feb 2008, 22:11 »

I don't know.. Anybody else think Faye maybe needs to move out?

It's not that I want her out of the comic, just out of Martin's place, or Martin out of her place is it goes that way.  It's just GOTTA be awkward, based on what we've seen in the the comic and just on real life situations like that.  If I were Faye therapist I'd probably be urging her to try and live on her own and work on independence rather than clinging to Marten's proximity as a guarantee that she won't be abandoned.  Look how she runs to Hannelore as soon as she's alone.  I don't blame her, loneliness sucks, but you gotta learn how to be by yourself before you can be with somebody else, right?

Also, part of the initially appeal to Faye for me at least was her quasi-flirtatious-or-is-it? relationship with Marten, and that's all been put to an end for the time being.  Maybe that's why she seems stale?  Most of her issues now are playing internally instead of out in the open (albeit obscured to absurdity) through her dialogue with Marten and others.

Poor Faye. 

easilyamused

« Reply #84 on: 11 Feb 2008, 10:29 »

I love Faye, and I haven't been able to stand Dora ever since she kissed Martin. To me, the Dora-Martin relationship is sort of like those movies where the guy can't get the girl he wants, settles for another one, and then the second one turns out to be crazy/evil/a man, and then he goes back to the first girl, who he belongs with. I've been waiting for a breakup of some sort since it happened, and since it's really affecting Faye's character (as in the whole "Faye = comic relief" thing), it bothers me even more.

So... Love Faye, don't like Dora. Well, I DO like Dora sometimes, but not as a couple with Martin. She's an interesting character, but... Not with Martin.

This is exactly how I feel.  (Also like Joybee above ...)  In my opinion, Faye has so much more depth, interest and pathos than Dora.  Dora has always been a sort of 'nothing' character for me -- I liked her before she jumped Marten, but I really don't like them together.  I also agree with Naoko above -- I wanted to punch Marten in the face when he was bitching about how Faye sends "mixed signals."  What does he want from her?!

If this were real life, I would definitely think that Faye should move out from Marten's apartment.  But in real life, people don't need to revolve around storylines.  I think the comic would die if Faye and Marten weren't living together anymore.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #85 on: 11 Feb 2008, 11:29 »

If you're going to play the "real life" card, perhaps you should consider the financial impossibility of Faye getting her own apartment in Northampton while working as a barista in an independantly-run coffee shop.

She could move in with Hanners, though.  While Hanners' OCD is cute it is also getting incredibly annoying and no longer funny to have her be deathly afraid of the tiniest bit of dirt or physical contact.

AnotherQCaddict

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #86 on: 11 Feb 2008, 11:45 »

I think that Hanners's being cute is about to jump the shark soon, anyway.  Just too much exploitation of it recently.

As for Faye moving out?  I'd see it as something that is highly unlikely in the near future, if only because it hasn't been mentioned in the comic and it's dubious as to whether or not Faye has improved as a cook.
*sneezes* Sorry, I'm allergic to bullshit.

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #87 on: 11 Feb 2008, 14:12 »

In my opinion, Faye has so much more depth, interest and pathos than Dora. 
Maybe that's why I love Faye so much.  But I see Dora as more together, she seems to be more (dare I say) Mature.  So she doesn't get hooked by random life events, and so isn't as "interesting"...?

Quote from: easilyamused
If this were real life, I would definitely think that Faye should move out from Marten's apartment.  But in real life, people don't need to revolve around storylines.
Yeah, but donovan is right: financial impossibility. This isn't "Friends."  And as for moving in with Hanners?  Hahahahahaa! I doubt anyone is sterile enough to satisfy our Hannelore...  Not to say that wouldn't be ver-ry interesting, and would keep Faye in the same building w Marten, still dropping in on each other anytime...

[I'm a lousy cook and survive alone: whole lines of frozen meals.]

Hanners "deathly afraid of the tiniest bit of dirt or physical contact"?  She's spending a few hours in a filthy, crowded place, awash in germs and people;  I think she can handle it in moderate doses. She probly goes home and washes (sanitizes) more thoroughly than anyone else. So she's less likely to pick up flu and etc. (It's going around, I hear.)
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #88 on: 11 Feb 2008, 15:23 »

Dude my name is not "donovan", where did that come from.

http://www.quiki.net/wiki/Zerodrone

donovangelonardo

« Reply #89 on: 11 Feb 2008, 15:33 »

mine is.  but I didn't say anything about financial impossibility.

but guys!  guys!  maybe Hanners needs to get outside her sterile safety bubble!  In purely non-fanservice terms, Faye and Hannelore living together might be really good for both of them.  Difficult (and possibly hilarious) but maybe healthy, you know?  The comic is already moving in sort of split storyline directions, with Faye and Marten not spending a ton of time around each other, and that time being rather awkward in my opinion, so I don't think it would kill the comic if Faye lived separately.  She's made a couple moves for distance already, both when she went home for a while and when she stormed over to Sven's place, so it's possible that she needs REAL space in her life.  And no one's spacier than Hanners  :-D

But if she does move out it won't happen very soon cause there's been no build up (or Jeph could just blitz us all with a surprise move), but I could see the plotline moving in that direction.  It's plausible!  S'all I'm saying.

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #90 on: 11 Feb 2008, 16:06 »

Not sure about Faye moving out, but Hannelore stretching her boundries is undoubtedly good. Living with another human might be overdoing it at this stage, and Faye in particular might not the best choice, but as comedy it's a inch from being a formula "odd couple". She's an obsessive-compulsive clean-freak enumerator! She's an angry lush with abandonment issues! They Fight Crime...er, share an apartment. With hilarious consequences!

« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2008, 16:09 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Niomi

« Reply #91 on: 12 Feb 2008, 10:04 »

I joined just to post in this thread. No, I don't like Faye.
I don't think she's a well-developed character at all. Her 'issues' are all emo and little substance. If Faye was a real person, I'd be very annoyed that she was letting her issues control her life and hurt the people around her. The comic would be much better if it explored that angle, but the way her problems are written about instead reveals the author's limited understanding of how people deal with emotional trama (or at least, his limited ability to write about it).
Since Faye has been out of the picture somewhat, the comic has become a lot more lighthearted. I think the author is a lot better at writing in this style. This is what makes Hanner's non-realistic portrayal of OCD enjoyable for me, while Faye's problems are not.

easilyamused

« Reply #92 on: 12 Feb 2008, 11:40 »

disclaimer: the only life trauma I can claim to have faced is my parents getting divorced, which was really upsetting and damaging but hardly on a par with watching your father shoot himself, so maybe Niomi has a better idea of how people handle life-changing trauma than I do.
But if you don't, then where on earth are you coming from?  Faye watched her father shoot himself in front of her.  How is that 'little substance'?  I don't think she's emo at all; I think she's healing from a tremendously scarring experience with a lot more strength than most people would.  Granted, she says she isn't capable of a healthy relationship right now, but I think that's a sign of maturity, not 'letting her issues control her life' -- she knows she could hurt other people (ie Marten) a lot more if she tried to give them more than she is currently capable of giving, so she doesn't.  I think Jeph's treatment of Faye's story was extremely skillful and understanding.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #93 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:07 »

I think Jeph's treatment of Faye's story was extremely skillful and understanding.

Keyword: was.  Faye has become stagnant.  In fact she was never consistent to begin with.  Look at the first 300 or so strips.  Faye was not nearly as mean.  She was actually kind of "cute" acting.  She smiled a lot.

Niomi

re: easilyamused
« Reply #94 on: 12 Feb 2008, 12:14 »

I don't mean to play a game of "You think you've got it bad, I've gone through this AND this!" Life trauma doesn't make you a great writer, trauma does not necessarily make you understanding of others, nor does it work the other way around. I don't mean to make the experience of watching one's father shoot himself seem trivial. I also don't mean to say that Jeph is a heartless bastard that has no sympathy for the families of people who have committed suicide. I just don't buy the way Faye deals with her trauma and the focus it has in the story, so I don't like her character.

easilyamused

« Reply #95 on: 12 Feb 2008, 19:15 »

I think Jeph's treatment of Faye's story was extremely skillful and understanding.

Keyword: was.  Faye has become stagnant.  In fact she was never consistent to begin with.  Look at the first 300 or so strips.  Faye was not nearly as mean.  She was actually kind of "cute" acting.  She smiled a lot.

Granted. To me it seemed like Jeph got bored with her himself ... kind of like he developed her into a pretty mean person because her being mean to Raven was so fun, then didn't like the result, and wasn't sure how to backtrack.  Which is why moving forward is the only solution to Faye's rut.  Hopefully that's what he's doing now?

I just don't buy the way Faye deals with her trauma and the focus it has in the story, so I don't like her character.

Ah.  what part seems unrealistic?

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #96 on: 13 Feb 2008, 00:42 »

Dude my name is not "donovan", where did that come from.

My bad!  I used the wrong person's name.  It was late and I was overtired, sorry.  Mea culpa.
Irresponsible Adult GOM

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #97 on: 13 Feb 2008, 06:10 »

Niomi, like easilyamused, I'd like to know what part of Faye’s dealing (or not) with her trauma you consider unrealistic.

Trying not to deal with it.
Puulleeezze. Everybody does that one. It’s the Human Way.

Bitching at friends and family, even being abusive because of it.
I’ve seen many people do that. Even the punching. Although that was, to an extent, a gag, I know of a person who slapped people, however lightly, ‘in fun.’ Folks didn’t always take it that way, though.

Trying to isolate herself/pushing people away.
Well, at least Faye is aware she does this. All too many people aren’t, even when they are doing everything short of shoving a flaming torch in people’s faces.

Drinking to excess.
Discombobulated Persons survey says: wow, 90%! And 8% of those who don’t would if they thought they could get away with it. (Dry counties, religious extremists in the family and etc. stand in the way). At least she’s not doing drugs.

Moaning about her problems
Oh god, I’m not even going to start on this one.

Being honest about what’s going on.
Okay, you got me. Most trauma survivors do not do this until forced to by a muscular therapist with a bullwhip. Shame on you, Jeph, for being so darned unrealistic. To be more realistic, Faye should be telling everyone: “Problem? I haven’t got a problem! You’re the one with the problem!” Wait, I think she did that with the drinking, at least briefly. But that’s too little, too late, Jacques.

Semi-voluntarily taking steps, some big, some small, to try to get better.
Again, like, totally unrealistic dude. Very few people do this unless, again, persons, circumstances, or both force them too. Some can’t be forced. Bad Jeph! Bad!

I will be the first to admit that Jeph is no Faulkner, and Faye, no Quentin Compson. I will also privately admit Thank GOD. Because I read QC for entertainment, not kathairein, although I sometimes inadvertently get that. Given that the main impetus behind QC are obscure, often-mopey bands, whacky situations and light humor, though, I think Jeph does a darned good job of making Faye ‘real.’

Which is probably, of course, why people dislike her. Nobody likes real, just like nobody reads The Sound and the Fury for light entertainment. Anyone who tells you that’s what they get from that book this is pulling your chain, trying to be self-important, or is someone you need to get the hell away from, fast. Maybe all of the above.

I personally find Marten to be a more unrealistic character than Faye. I also think it revealing that when he does become fairly realistic, such as when Marten vents about what he calls Faye’s double message, people want to call Jeph on it. Why? I suspect because that is realistic. One can only play Job for so long (Unless one actually is Job, I suppose. But then it's not playing), and Marten's been Job to Faye for longer than anyone who doesn't have issues themselves could. (Alert! Canoworms at Five 'o clock!)

But the truth is, Jeph can write a comic that’s little more than a series of gags such as some of his colleagues do, or he can venture beyond this. While not entirely abandoning the gags (hence Pintsize, Hannelore, et. al.), he has elected to go beyond that and to allow QC to grow into something, well, other. (What? For crying out loud, I don't know, but I like it.)

Hooray for Jeph Jacques, sez I. And, more importantly, hooray for me (I get to read it)! Maybe hooray for all of us.
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2008, 06:15 by raoullefere »

Doug S. Machina

« Reply #98 on: 13 Feb 2008, 06:51 »

And hooray for me, too. No reason.

Stupid comments aside, I agree with you completely. Hooray for Jeph for bringing QC to us and making it so good, and hooray for Christi for dealing with the rest of the world so that he can concentrate it.

tomart

• Curry sauce
« Reply #99 on: 13 Feb 2008, 07:55 »

Yes, Hooray for Jeph Jaques and Questionable Content!!*

As for Faye being "boring/stagnant/etc" - it was time for other characters to have their turns in the spotlight, like Hanners.
It's a balancing act, giving a character's fans enough of her, and also letting others shine; knowing when to shift the focus from one character and thread to another.  I think that Jeph does a great job with his creation, and its denizens. 
Perhaps someday Faye will return to actively working on her issues, and be UNboring once again.

At which time those who don't like the realism will probably complain about that.

* I think QC is so good that it's only a matter of time til someone in big media picks it up and it becomes the next big thing.  But Shhh!!! Don't jinx it by talking about it. :wink:
Irresponsible Adult GOM
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up