THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Regarding humor  (Read 46057 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Regarding humor
« on: 04 Feb 2008, 06:56 »

There are probably only two things it is not okay to joke about on these here forums. Let me make you a list!

1. Rape
2. Seriously, rape

Recently somebody not only broke this as-of-yet unwritten rule, they decided to push it when asked to stop. PROTIP YOU ARE NOT FUNNY YOU SHOULD STOP. We shouldn't have to tell you once, let alone twice, and I really don't want to get anybody b&, I'd rather they learn their lesson the easy way and stop.

Seriously, I've seen jokes on here about AIDS, cancer, murder, suicide (Kurt Cobain = hilarious), and all kinds of other things that people normally do not joke about. If you want to joke about rape, first consider suicide. Then if that doesn't work out for you, go start your own forum, and have fun when nobody wants to join because you are a douche.

THAT IS ALL.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: Regarding humor
« Reply #1 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:21 »

You know what? As per usual, I'm going to play devil's advocate?

You prove your point to be an absolute shit one very early on: it's an apparently unwritten rule and one that's hard to judge considering the kind of jokes that show up here. People joke about anything and everything here and I think it's completely unreasonable for people to be getting bent out of shape at someone who had absolutely no clue, to the point someone is making an entire damn thread to complain about it and basically give the dude shit/try and make him feel like he did something wrong.

This is exactly the same situation as when I got bitched out for using a word I had no idea people here had a problem with. Hopefully it follows in turn with the fact that the individual who yelled at me PMed me and resolved it in a civilized and non-bitchy manner.

Sure, it's perfectly fine to say "we're not comfortable with this topic or that topic," but it's completely uncool and a total douche move to bitch at someone for mere ignorance of an unspoken rule. Especially one so often broken. I've seen boundless rape jokes in Gabbly, not to mention that a well regarded regular played along with the joke. What the fuck was he supposed to think?

Fuck this. This thread is the new most useless thread ever. This thread is now about unattainable goals that would be nice in retrospect:

I sure wish I had webshooters. I'm not sure what I'd do with them, but they'd be awesome.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #2 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:31 »

It's an unwritten rule in general society. If you're making rape jokes, you are a douchebag, end of story. You shouldn't need to have it spelled out for you.

Not only that, but there was also the little detail where, in the example given, the person thought they were real damn smart/cute and decided to push it.

tl;dr no

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #3 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:36 »

Not that I'm planning to make any jokes about either since I don't make that many jokes on here anyway (I'm sadly about as funny as an episode of Little Britain), but I don't see why rape is a less appropriate subject for humour than AIDS. They're both deeply horrific things that happen to people. If you're going to make jokes about fucked up things you can't sensibly get upset when somebody else chooses the one fucked up thing that's beyond the pale for you. Like Obsessions said, it's fine to have subjects that are off limits but you can't expect people to know that instinctively.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:38 »

a short fictional story by yelley.

once upon a time, there was the internet. the internet was a wonderful place where nobody said or did anything offensive. instead, all anyone ever did was share important information to benefit society and post pictures of puppies and kitties.

the end.

the moral of the story: nobody comes to the internet expecting to never be offended. this particular instance is hardly even a blip on the radar. even i wasn't offended by this. hardly deserving of a thread to single out one person.

move along people, nothing to see here.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:39 »

Seriously, guys. Terrible thread. Clearly my "goals" thread idea didn't pan out. New topic:

I've been playing a lot of Ninja Gaiden lately. This makes me wish I were a ninja.

What I'm trying to say is: Katie, Mai...I'm calling you pansy ass pirates out!
JON MADE ME GAY

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #6 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:47 »

KITTIES
[img width= height=]http://www.laughparty.com/funny-pictures/Dancing-Kittens-807.jpg[/img]
NINJA KITTY

PUPPIES
[img width= height=]http://www.hot-screensaver.com/wp-myimages/adorable-puppies.jpg[/img]
NINJA PUPPY
[img width= height=]http://204.14.123.30/content/pic/olddorks/ninja-dog.jpg[/img]
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #7 on: 04 Feb 2008, 07:51 »

Like Obsessions said, it's fine to have subjects that are off limits but you can't expect people to know that instinctively.

I'm not saying you have to know them instinctively. I'm saying you SHOULD. Since apparently that isn't the case, I started a thread saying it so there's no confusion.

Apparently I'm the bigger douchebag than somebody making rape jokes (and pushing it when being called out for it) because I started a thread letting people know it isn't funny. I am real fucking sorry, guys, I promise from now on I will laugh at every rape joke that is posted on here.

Oh, wait, no, rape still isn't fucking funny, and that is my point.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #8 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:04 »

Rape = NOT FUNNY, JERKS.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #9 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:08 »

You're not funny.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #10 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:09 »

Rape isn't funny. Dead babies aren't funny. AIDS isn't funny. Sex is pretty funny. Racism isn't funny. Sexism isn't funny. A blah blee bloo. Lots of things aren't funny and are pretty offensive. People make jokes about things to make them less uncomfortable and considering most of us are adults (most of the non-adults are still pretty mature as well), we should be able to not be offended by things. I saw his joke and while I didn't think it was funny, I didn't bother getting offended, because hey, this is the internet and it wasn't directed towards anyone in particular.

Basically, sack up and move on. If someone makes a joke and you feel like saying it wasn't funny, say so, but don't make a thread about how we can't make jokes about rape when there are a lot of other jokes on here that are or can be just as offensive.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #11 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:17 »

This thread is obviously never going to go anywhere useful.
JON MADE ME GAY

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #12 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:21 »

I find Patrick's constant 4chan references to be ten times more annoying than sporadic mentions of this subject.

Funny how if I just happen to make a reference to the most recent violation (of many within just the last month) of the "stop making rape jokes" idea that is apparently so unnecessary to defend, it makes it a personal attack, despite having never named names or even pointed the thread out. But when I'm being unnecessarily called out for something I haven't done in something like two months, it's just proving a point that I'm a total fuckbag who has no validity whatsoever, and that I should be ignored because I'm overreacting and making a big stink out of nothing. I, for one, think that's total jackassery, no matter how much respect I have for you, Tommy.

tl;dr don't get silly just because I am the only one to make a big stink of something that has been an ongoing problem but has just been casually dismissed. I know you think "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is applicable here, but after a while the status quo gets boring, and maybe I don't feel like typing "You're a jackass, rape isn't funny" every 3 days. I'd like to not have carpal tunnel before I'm 20.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #13 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:25 »

Oh wait, carpal tunnel isn't funny, it's not that person's fault, they just type a lot or have bad posture. I'm sorry, I'm going to go kill myself for being a useless fuckbag by making a joke about carpal tunnel.

Oh wait, I can't even joke about suicide anymore, it's going to offend too many people.

Seriously. There are some things that just aren't fucking acceptable, end of story.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:30 »

This is as useless as arguing about that four letter word that begins with C. I do not think that word is acceptable in any shape or form, but arguing about it never gets anywhere. Some people like it, some don't, but I'm not going to get angry because they like using it in an intimate reference to their s.o., I just want it used when it's directed at me. No, you didn't name names, but those of us who saw it know exactly who you're referring to. I'm pretty sure that person gets it now, but next time take it to PMs, okay?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #15 on: 04 Feb 2008, 08:50 »

@Linds: I was never trying to antagonize one person just for the sake of antagonizing one person, even if I did say they were being a douchebag. It was just the most recent example, and was therefore fresh in the minds of people, so I went with it. Sorry it came across as an attempt to go for an all-against-one callout.

That also applies with my point to you, Tommy. I'm not saying everybody should always agree with me ever and if they don't I'll burn their house down. That'd be stupid. I am saying, however, that a hell of a lot of people have been doing this, it's an ongoing problem, and each time it's happened, the person has been called out. This is what made me start the thread, not just my own personal belief. Whether or not I have the right to speak for those people is not my call. What I can do, however, is make it very clear that using rape as a punchline has a history of not being accepted on these here forums, and make the assumption that it is going to continue to be dismissed as inappropriate in the future.

OnewingedAngel

« Reply #16 on: 04 Feb 2008, 09:02 »

It's obviously a contentious issue. However, and I'm speculating here, if Jeph decided there would be no more comments about rape, he would say so and start banning people. I completely agree that it's a highly distasteful subject, but unless you have the right and authority to police members who talk about it, going round and round on this thread is simply going to create some very angry responses, on both sides of the fence.
A conversation like this is one that should be had privately, between the offender and the offendee(s), not here.

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #17 on: 04 Feb 2008, 09:12 »

...(I'm sadly about as funny as an episode of Little Britain),...
This made me laugh.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #18 on: 04 Feb 2008, 09:13 »

I understand your concern on this issue but if you read your posts in this thread you definitely come across as someone who is saying "Thou Shalt Not" in a big thundering voice. Historically that doesn't go down very well on these forums either.

Yeah, that much is pretty clear, and as far as that goes, I'll definitely admit I was overreacting.

I wouldn't worry about it, I don't think anyone has been offended here.

If you're referring to whether or not I've offended anybody... well, that's certainly up for debate, you're right.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #19 on: 04 Feb 2008, 09:29 »

There are probably only two things it is not okay to joke about on these here forums. Let me make you a list!

1. Chuck Norris
2. Seriously, Chuck Norris

Recently somebody not only broke this as-of-yet unwritten rule, they decided to push it when asked to stop. PROTIP YOU ARE NOT FUNNY YOU SHOULD STOP. We shouldn't have to tell you once, let alone twice, and I really don't want to get anybody b&, I'd rather they learn their lesson the easy way and stop.

Seriously, I've seen jokes on here about AIDS, cancer, murder, suicide (Kurt Cobain = hilarious), and all kinds of other things that people normally do not joke about. If you want to joke about Chuck Norris, first consider suicide. Then if that doesn't work out for you, go start your own forum, and have fun when nobody wants to join because you are a douche.

THAT IS ALL.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #20 on: 04 Feb 2008, 09:32 »

Heehee. Chuck Norris
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #21 on: 04 Feb 2008, 09:39 »

(assuming one day we have active Moderators again).
fruitkat is online right now! quick, grab her!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #22 on: 04 Feb 2008, 11:03 »

1. Rape
2. Seriously, rape

Also animal cruelty.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #23 on: 04 Feb 2008, 12:49 »

I think that things like rape and such can be considered humour as long as they are done sarcastically. If people are being serious about what they are saying and are just generally being overbearing and crude then it is not appropriate in the slightest. It would probably be a good idea to stay off touchy subjects like that on a forum because emotions are harder to read through text and it would be hard to tell if people were just being arseholes or if they were being sarcastic.
Get off my land

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #24 on: 04 Feb 2008, 13:56 »

Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #25 on: 04 Feb 2008, 13:59 »

Man, that isn't funny. That is pure, unadulterated sex appeal.
JON MADE ME GAY

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #26 on: 04 Feb 2008, 14:12 »

I wish I could unsee that.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #27 on: 04 Feb 2008, 14:23 »

WARNING: NSFW!
I love how the warning is way below the image being warned about. If you really wanted to go for the "fine print" sorta thing, you should have used the size tag.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #28 on: 04 Feb 2008, 14:50 »

Guys does this mean I am not allowed to talk about my skullfucking pastime anymore?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #29 on: 04 Feb 2008, 15:00 »

Only if you completely disguise what you are talking about.

From now on your past time is "Picking Flowers", its much less offensive.
Get off my land

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #30 on: 04 Feb 2008, 15:35 »

But what if it's consensual skullfucking? I mean, what are they going to do, change their mind?
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #31 on: 04 Feb 2008, 15:40 »

Depends how deep you get.
JON MADE ME GAY

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #32 on: 04 Feb 2008, 15:48 »

i still think "raped! by dolphins" is a pretty good band name.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #33 on: 04 Feb 2008, 16:02 »

Man I am not a concert person and I would pay to see their show.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #34 on: 04 Feb 2008, 16:12 »

i like a good knock knock joke as much as the next guy, but when a joke or word or action can possible potentially offend someone, anyone, well that's when i draw the line! I'm filled with such gosh-darn righteous anger, well not really anger, that's too strong of a word... it makes me a mirth deficient american! I'm going to call my congressman AND the ACLU about all this, don't think I won't!
also israel

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #35 on: 04 Feb 2008, 16:14 »

How can this offend you when(I'm assuming) you're a(n) (ex?)/b/tard? It just seems to me like you're doing some crazy ass dictating, since I'm sure I've read rape jokes on here before. Anyway, like everyone else said, thread wasn't needed. Obviously you thought it was... Sorry everyone got so annoyed, but this thread really seemed out of line :s

Whatever, we all make mistakes... Take that time I raped that woman with gonnorhea for example.

Ps: My post before I read the rest of this thread was much more bitchy... But I soon realized that everyone else sees it my way. So, then I said to myself, "Regurgitate what's been said, or make rape joke in bad taste?"
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2008, 16:19 by Chrasstor »

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #36 on: 04 Feb 2008, 16:22 »

oh my, you have offended my delicate sensibilities!
also israel

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #37 on: 04 Feb 2008, 16:24 »

everyone else sees it my way

I am offended because everyone else is not. I am so indie.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #38 on: 04 Feb 2008, 16:42 »

We should have a word filter that turns "rape" into "clowntown".
Hate, rain on me

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #39 on: 04 Feb 2008, 17:08 »

(assuming one day we have active Moderators again).

Hey. HEY!

Personally I find rape jokes deeply upsetting because I abhor violence, and rape is pretty much the worst form of violence I can think of. Of course making jokes about horrific occurrences is a long-established way of coping with those occurrences, i.e., "gallows humour", but I'd say that pretty much without fail all the rape jokes I see around here - or anywhere else online, for that matter - are more along the lines of "Rape! LOL", which as far as I'm concerned serves only to trivialise an appalling act of violence.

HOWEVER, I'm aware that my opinion in this matter is in the minority. While this makes me sad I am, nonetheless, in no position to do much about it other than to ask people to please not do it again, which I'll continue to do so because, hell, I think I'm right on this. For a while there (before I was modded) I had my own personal little campaign trying to argue occasionally against making light of violence in general (specifically directed at jokes about beating people up or murdering them or, yes, raping them), but that was pretty much an uphill struggle. Either way, there are no rules on this matter, either written or unwritten, and I've certainly never been witness to any kind of official discussion of it with regards to this forum in particular. So, I dunno, everyone try and stay classy?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #40 on: 04 Feb 2008, 17:18 »

Need it be said, Harry? I don't know about these guys, but I am the classiest mother fucker here. With the exception of Tommy, that is.
JON MADE ME GAY

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #41 on: 04 Feb 2008, 18:07 »

Summary:
-Harry is the classiest guy here
-I am not Gryff
-Shit what am I even doing?
-I miss Gryff
-Regardless if rape is funny or not, it is pretty extremely lame humour. Like, get some better jokes or something, relying on junk like rape and murder is a serious cop-out in terms of making fun.
-This isn't really a summary; it's not at all concise, and I'm adding new opinions, I think
-tl;dr means "You're not worth my time, but I'm worth yours. And I don't think you're a valuable human being."
-TL;DR
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

muteKi

« Reply #42 on: 04 Feb 2008, 18:25 »

I personally am rather surprised that people would get more offended by rape than murder.

But what do I know?

It's not like I ever went to prison for killing anyone, if you know what I mean.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #43 on: 04 Feb 2008, 18:40 »

Please?

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #44 on: 04 Feb 2008, 19:08 »

The combination is 46 13 7.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #46 on: 04 Feb 2008, 19:40 »

WELL DONE, SIR.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #47 on: 04 Feb 2008, 19:46 »

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #48 on: 04 Feb 2008, 19:50 »

Summary:
-Harry is the classiest guy here

No no, you've got that all wrong. I'm the most classist guy here.

You sniveling lower-class lickspittle.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up