THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 01 May 2024, 14:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RE: Male/Female Power Dynamics (was: WCT Feb 11-16)  (Read 14287 times)

Tarvok

Original thread can be found here. The topic is diverging significantly from the comic topic, so I figured I'd start a new thread.

Too late, you got yourself in trouble. Not that I want to turn this forum into a lesson in women's studies, but as a Smith student, it seems to be my lot in life.

Women have practically no power, in the bedroom or elsewhere. A woman saying no often doesn't even slow a man down.

Got any reliable statistics for that?

I am not implying that all men are rapists,

Just most of them, enough, that men "often" do not slow down for a "no."

but there are many situations in America today where women have no control over their bodies.

What sorts of situations?

Plus, a man can so no, too, they just often want sex plenty.

In economics, with respect to men wanting sex from women, this is what's called a "sellers' market." For women who want sex from men, it's a "buyers' market." If this were economics, the analogy would be backwards with regard to the power dynamic you describe.

subverted role we have in society yestoday.

Fixed. Given that politics is generally at least a generation behind the social trend, and that it is very likely we will have a woman for a president by 2009, I'd say that problem has been pretty well dealt with by now.

Then again, I am a Californian, and it's entirely possible my experience is atypical for the remainder of the United States.

Oh, and I agree that the image of men in the media is really degrading as well, don't get me wrong.

At first, it was funny. Now, it's annoying to the point where I change the station when I hear one of those stupid commercials. It's just really getting old.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Re: RE: Male/Female Power Dynamics (was: WCT Feb 11-16)
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:00 »

Looking at this person's posts, absolutely none of them are in this forum. I have my doubts he/she/it will see this.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:03 »

Plus, the whole conversation hits me as being akin to tapdancing in a minefield. Not that I mind.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:05 »

And I thought we were getting bad down here...
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:17 »

tl;dr

Someone summon the summarizer plx
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Nodaisho

« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:39 »

As far as I can tell, for the tl;dr folks, thinly veiled misandry. Perhaps there was something else, that I missed due to it being taken out of context, and if so, I apologize. Or, perhaps the poster's words came out the wrong way, it is very easy to be misunderstood when limited to text.

I have no problems with feminism, at least until it is taken to positive discrimination, at which point I get somewhat miffed. Honestly, I get tired really easily of people putting so much identification into gender, I believe the appropriate term is "Granfalloon". I can see this discussion getting very hostile very easily, so I want to frontload that to avoid some possible misunderstandings.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

chobes

« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:46 »

You know, i used to always have to make the first move (i'm a guy) in a relationship. I never knew when to, so i always just asked... pretty simple.

But recently i've been sleeping with a girl that has made the first move every single time. it's really new to me and it's FANTASTIC. i guess there is just a lot of different people out there... some girls are comfortable making the first move, and some aren't. The same goes for guys.

I too am fed up with the whole "hurr, i'm a stupid guy that can't tie his shoelaces correctly, hurr."

ForteBass

« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:47 »

I officially hate this thread. Hate it to hell.
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:51 »

I'm right there with you.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

sean

• welp
« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:53 »

Sometimes I wonder why these and the top boards are so segregated.

And then this happens.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2008, 22:59 »

Who is SmithDevil and can we have a throwdown because I am the most misogynistic female you might ever meet.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:01 »

I heard Katie once suckerpunched Todd Bertuzzi.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:01 »

He cried like a little bitch.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:02 »

Really? I thought she just got her avatar to dickslap him in the face.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:02 »

plx
Is this an accidental mashup of "pix" and "plz"?

ForteBass

« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:03 »

It's true. I once heard Katie say to a woman "Get in the kitchen and make me some god damn dinner!"
Then she slapped her on the ass.

Nodaisho

« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:03 »

Who is SmithDevil and can we have a throwdown because I am the most misogynistic female you might ever meet.
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php?action=profile;u=13714 There you go. Can I sell tickets for said throwdown?
(stop posting so I can post this!)

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:04 »

It's true. I once heard Katie say to a woman "Get in the kitchen and make me some god damn dinner!"
Then she slapped her on the ass.

Bitch can't seem to make me a fucking sandwich without any damn mayonaise.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #18 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:05 »

This thread now has the potential to be the best thread ever.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #19 on: 17 Feb 2008, 23:44 »

CRISIS ON INFINITE FORUM
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:07 »

Tarvok, are you a male person?

I bet you are.

How old are you?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #21 on: 18 Feb 2008, 01:31 »

You know I think that part of the irony is that if his post were in better context of a greater discussion I think I could get along quite well with him. Stick around, start lurking this forum and learn the rules/culture better.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #22 on: 18 Feb 2008, 03:20 »

Gender is important in certain areas, I reckon, but it's only important because of societal prejudice. When all is said and done I'm comfortable with the idea that women are generally the preferred candidates for, say, kindergarten teachers and suchlike.

Is it discrimination? Yes. Is it reasonable discrimination? Probably not. I'd be prepared to bet that the majority of male applicants for that job are lovely, nice people who want to hang out with little kids all day because they are genuinely nice blokes so it's a little bit of an unfair prejudice on society's part. The reason I'm comfortable with it is that it safeguards a lot of well-meaning men from ever getting themselves into legal trouble they don't deserve because of some hyper-protective mother who screams the heavens down whenever a Man so much as tries to comfort their daughter after a playground fall (true story).

It pisses me off that companies have quotas to meet in this regard though. We're now entering an era where, say, three people can attend a job interview, one is better-qualified and more apt for the job than the other two, but will be passed over because he happens to be a male WASP, as opposed to a female or an "ethnic minority".

I dislike that term too. Ethnic freaking Minority. Given that us white folk represent the smallest major genetic demographic in the world, it's hardly right that we are the ones calling everyone else a minority, is it? The Muthlu Tribe of the Amazon rain forest, a twelve-person group who are all related to each other, and whose last contact with the outside world was twelve years ago, in the form of a missionary who wound up dead because he stepped on the wrong sort of frog? They're a Minority.

Also, why is it that I am slightly aroused by the idea of women being blatantly misogynistic?
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #23 on: 18 Feb 2008, 03:29 »

I dislike that term too. Ethnic freaking Minority. Given that us white folk represent the smallest major genetic demographic in the world,

Yet we also happen to be the richest and most powerful demographic in the world, and to be the demographic majority in most of the worlds richest countries.

Many other problems with your post, but I got stuff to do! bbiab!
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #24 on: 18 Feb 2008, 03:43 »

For example, women and men should be paid the same because there is no compelling reason otherwise. However, few people would deny that women should be entitled to maternity leave for longer than men.

This depends.  Are you talking about the woman being out because she can't physically do her job due to the pregnancy or the time after birth spent with the child?  I took off the same amount of time my wife did when my son was born.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #25 on: 18 Feb 2008, 05:38 »

You can talk Tommy, you with a topless lady in your avatar!

You patriarch.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #26 on: 18 Feb 2008, 06:01 »

Gender is important in other respects. Biologically, men and women are different. Consult the Wikipedia for more information.

har har hurrr

Alright fine, your average builder's a bloke because men have more lean muscle, more muscle mass as a percentage of their bodyweight and tend to be larger, meaning men are stronger and better suited to manual labour like lifting and carrying.  Like I implied, there are exceptions. There's nothing stopping women from operating the crane, installing the electricity or being the foreman other than societal prejudice, however - they just aren't seen as "girly" jobs.

I think it's actually more to do with wealth than race.

In which case it riles up my inner stickler. Minority = less numerically represented group, not less wealthy group.

My point is that I dislike the term. I don't have to be rational about it, surely?   :angel:

Also, why is it that I am slightly aroused by the idea of women being blatantly misogynistic?

You probably already know but just in case it was a genuine question I'll field this one.

It wasn't. ^^

I just like the mental image of women slapping other women on the ass.

Nodaisho

« Reply #27 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:15 »

I dislike that term too. Ethnic freaking Minority. Given that us white folk represent the smallest major genetic demographic in the world,

Yet we also happen to be the richest and most powerful demographic in the world, and to be the demographic majority in most of the worlds richest countries.

Many other problems with your post, but I got stuff to do! bbiab!
That may be, but if there is some sort of white people group in which the rich people give out money to the poor white people, I haven't found it. Working class people have to try to eke out a decent living no matter race or gender. Over here, though, women and "minorities" are given preferential treatment when it comes to getting a job a lot of the time, you have it lucky in the U.K., positive discrimination is outlawed there.

Tommy, I like to think that I would treat someone exactly the same regardless of gender, a pregnancy would be treated like any other... not finding the right word here, "disability"? Let's just use that, you understand what I mean. It would be treated like any other disability that temporarily rendered the person unable of working.

Oh, switchblade, what does WASP stand for? White-ASsed-Person?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #28 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:30 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Anglo-Saxon_Protestant

I once heard a Korean guy describe himself as a WASP. I think he meant preppy and just didn't know what the word means.

Nodaisho

« Reply #29 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:38 »

Or maybe he played in a WASP cover band? But probably not, if he dressed preppy. Interesting term though.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #30 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:52 »

Maybe he was an Animorph.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ForteBass

« Reply #31 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:55 »

Or a villain for the Big Bad Beetleborgs

Nodaisho

« Reply #32 on: 18 Feb 2008, 09:58 »

I used to watch that show when I was six. And I read those books through most of elementary. Thanks for reminding me of those, guys.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #33 on: 18 Feb 2008, 11:54 »

self-hating women

I guess I am not actually misogynistic, then, because I don't actually hate women, and I certainly don't hate myself. I am quite fond of myself, really. And I like women, I just think most of them are ridiculous and shallow and melodramatic and flaky and irrational and hormonal and bitchy.

I do hate effing mayonnaise, though.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #34 on: 18 Feb 2008, 11:58 »

mysomayonistic?

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #35 on: 18 Feb 2008, 12:02 »

Smacking mayo on the ass is a really difficult feat, honestly.

ForteBass

« Reply #36 on: 18 Feb 2008, 12:28 »

Slapping mayo on someone else's ass though... that's a fetish to rake in some cash on.

öde

« Reply #37 on: 18 Feb 2008, 12:44 »

Ooh la LA!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #38 on: 18 Feb 2008, 14:17 »

No, they did that in Clerks 2 and it got in Rosario Dawson's hooha.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #39 on: 18 Feb 2008, 14:34 »

Wait, whats wrong with mayo?
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #40 on: 18 Feb 2008, 14:35 »

It's gross?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #41 on: 18 Feb 2008, 14:56 »

I like mayo.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #42 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:12 »

wow! i don't even know where to begin with this one but let's see what i can do. just a few quick points:

- there are still major differences in the amount of pay men and women receive for performing their jobs but it's a little more complicated than that. while a lot of efforts have been made to pay men and women equally for performing the same jobs, a lot of the differences exist in the fact that many fields are still dominated primarily by either men or women, and male-dominated careers just tend to earn more than female-dominated ones. for example, truck drivers are primarily male while secretaries are primarily female. truck drivers, on average, make more money than secretaries. similarily, science majors (often male) earn more on average than humanities majors (often female). and so on.

- responding to tarvok, men do hold a lot of power over women sexually, whether that's something you choose to acknowledge or not. a big example i can think of is that of men using force against women. this is a theme that is basically everywhere in films and television (and, obviously, pornography), but nobody recognizes it as rape because it's portrayed in a context in which the female plays hard to get and the male persists and then the girl after a brief struggle decides she likes it after all. not only do few young people seem to recognize this as rape but there is evidence that these same patterns exist in real life as well. surveys conducted among young women in university and college show a significantly larger amount reporting having had force unwillingly used against them during sex than having been raped, even though they're pretty much the same thing. maybe some women do like this, i don't know, but it still proves a valuable point - that in many cases a woman saying "no" really doesn't have a significant impact anymore.

- this might just be one of those particularly grim views you acquire when you read as many crime statistics on a daily basis as i do, but a lot of the power dynamics between men and women stem simply from the fact that women get pregnant and men don't. it's nice to believe that women are really amazing and powerful because they have the ability to generate new life and so on but unfortunately that doesn't really reflect on reality. like, at all. not to bash the male forumites who are married or have children or any of that committed relationship stuff, i'm sure you are all wonderful people but unfortunately the fact remains that when women become pregnant they place themselves automatically in a position where they are completely vulnerable and dependent on another person, usually her husband. she can't leave because she is incapable of earning her own money. this has the potential to end extremely badly, as illustrated in cases where women experience abuse at the hands of their husbands or the husband up and leaves entirely. it is also not unusual for women to experience difficulty returning to work after taking time off while pregnant. not to mention that single mothers are far more likely to experience negative stigma from other parents than single fathers, who often receive praise instead. oh, and factor in the amount of women who are raped on an annual basis and the enormous stigma placed on birth control and abortion in certain states. food for thought.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #43 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:18 »

Man, how would you answer one of those surveys if you are in a S&M and/or dom-sub relationship? Are you honest about it, or does it not count because it is entirely consensual?

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #44 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:26 »

if it's consensual it isn't unwilling force.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #45 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:29 »

Okay, hands up if you find the whole dom/sub thing to be fucking ridiculous. I can't ever look at that sort of thing without thinking "Those people are fucked up".

To me, S&M has always been more funny than erotic.

ForteBass

« Reply #46 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:31 »

That's because you've never watched it with mayonnaise involved...

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #47 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:38 »

does chocolate syrup count? because I've seen that one a hundred times.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #48 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:38 »

fun fact: while sharing stories with a friend last year i told her i enjoyed being tied up occasionally during sex. she completely misinterpreted this and told my current housemate jasmine that i was completely into bondage and sub-dom relationships and safe words and whips and all that kind of stuff. luckily jasmine ended up being completely okay with this and i found out only because she approached the subject really casually one day, something like

jasmine: hey tania, i wanted to say, i've never met anyone who's into the whole sub-dom, safeword thing before. you're really cool though.
tania: thanks, i - HOLD ON WHAT

as it turns out she's way kinkier than i am anyway.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #49 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:40 »

jesus christ why do i always start new pages in the worst possible fucking way
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up