THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 12:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Toy Story 3  (Read 47265 times)

Faker

• Furry furrier
Toy Story 3
« on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:50 »

From The Wall Street Journal via Empire magazine:

It's not often you get movie scoops from publications like The Wall Street Journal, being, as they are, more enamoured of bar graphs than Batman. But the US publication recently ran an article about Disney Pixar no longer outsourcing their video game tie-ins and, almost in passing, revealed the much guarded plot to Toy Story 3.

According to the Journal, in the third movie "Woody the cowboy and his toy-box friends are dumped in a day-care center after their owner, Andy, leaves for college".

That sounds much like a spin on Jesse the Cowgirl's arc in Toy Story 2, where she was abandoned by her grown up owner (we can't think of a less harsh sounding term) and ended up in a junk sale.

It's a good path for the third and possibly final film. It could potentially bring the story of Woody and Buzz full circle, if they eventually end up in the hands of a new child to love them. It does, however, show that a lot of time's passed between Toy Story 2 and the new movie, since Andy was no more than 12 in that film. What would that mean for the toy characters? Will Woody be falling apart? Will all Buzz's paint be worn to nothing. God knows, after a few years, all our childhood toys were chewed, run over and generally scarred from too many interactions with the dog or waste disposal.

Sounds interesting to me, especially like the suggestion of the toys being beaten up and aged.

The Toy Story movies are not just magnificent animated movies but some of the best movies of the last 10-15 years. Heres hoping the third can live up to those standards.
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Faker

• Furry furrier
Re: Toy Story 3
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:05 »

But normally Disney animated sequels tend to be cheapo direct to video/dvd knock offs with entirely different voice casts and usually different writters/directors/animators etc..

With this you are looking at the input from all the major players behind the first two movies, so I'm keeping my hopes up!
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:18 »

The Pixar films were good since Pixar wasn't directly owned by Disney. Now they are.

I have no hope for this. Sorry Pixar, Disney just fucks shit up too much.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:25 »

Man, I am so sick of the shit rep Disney gets. They are fucking children's movies, people. Watch them without expecting some kind of critical masterpiece and maybe you'll enjoy them. I know I enjoyed Emperor's New Groove and Lilo and Stitch plenty.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:53 »

I really liked Emperor's New Groove and Lilo too, but fuck if I didn't forget them within the year. Maybe it was a lack of distinctive songs?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2008, 17:56 »

The Pixar films were good since Pixar wasn't directly owned by Disney. Now they are.

I have no hope for this. Sorry Pixar, Disney just fucks shit up too much.

John Lasseter, director of Toy Story 1 & 2 and VP of Pixar, is now the Chief Creative Officer of Disney, effectively meaning Pixar controls Disney's movie division as of 2006, not to mention that Steve Jobs (he owned and was CEO of Pixar, if you didn't know) is the largest shareholder of Disney. Bob Iger took Michael Eisner's shitification of the company and is trying to turn it around, leaning heavily on the fact that Pixar was insanely successful where the rest of the company wasn't.

Besides, as long as Brad Bird works for Disney, it is a good company.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2008, 10:48 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

sean

• welp
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2008, 19:48 »

Oh man I did not know that. Maybe there is hope for this movie.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:27 »

Fuck all you guyses teams hating on Disney/Pixar, I'm excited for Wall-E and I'm sure they can do the first two films justice.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:43 »

I am so crazy excited for Wall-E. It's the first time I've gotten really excited for a Pixar movie since the Incredibles.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2008, 08:06 »

Ditto what you two just said.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2008, 11:01 »

When Pixar came back into Disney, the first thing they did was cancel this sequel because it was going to be aweful.   Course, it was in the hands of Disney only, so there was good reason to be annoyed.

With Pixar back in charge, theres a chance of it being good.... But

Toy Story was released in 1995 at which time the graphics were unbelievable with amazing voice acting and a fun intersting plot. 
But it's thirteen years later.  The people who loved the first one are 20-30 by now. And on top of that, Disney has their hands in it will probably be on par with Bambi II, The Fox and the Hound II, and Lady and the Tramp....II...

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2008, 11:25 »

Toy Story II was originally designed to be a 'cheapquel'. Pixar hit it so far out of the ballpark, though, that Disney poured more money in to make it the only animated sequel the company has ever released in theaters.

Also of note: Steve Jobs is part of a six-man 'steering' executive board that was formed after the Pixar acquisition and Eisner's departure. One of the very first things they did was demand that 'cheapquels' stop being produced. If a movie is so bad it will go straight to DVD, it is so bad that the public will never see it.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

singeivoire

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:17 »

I'm not too concerned - Pixar hasn't produced a real stinker yet.

I'm more worried that Toy Story III will give me further guilt issues for keeping Kitty Pie stored in a dusty box these past years and selling all my barbies in a rummage sale.

Scruffy

• The Janitor
« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:43 »

Toy Story II was originally designed to be a 'cheapquel'. Pixar hit it so far out of the ballpark, though, that Disney poured more money in to make it the only animated sequel the company has ever released in theaters.

Also of note: Steve Jobs is part of a six-man 'steering' executive board that was formed after the Pixar acquisition and Eisner's departure. One of the very first things they did was demand that 'cheapquels' stop being produced. If a movie is so bad it will go straight to DVD, it is so bad that the public will never see it.

Yeah, you said it much better than I did  :|

no more cheapquels!

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2008, 12:50 »

At the very least, it can't be any more atrocious than Lion king 1 1/2.

God, talk about desecration of the sacred. What an awful, terrible movie. The Lion King is probably tied with Beauty and The Beast as the best Disney movie. And what do they do? Completely destroy any semblance of message or seriousness that the original movie had in order to focus on the two dipshits of the series.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2008, 14:42 »

hHakuna matata my friend, hakuna matata.

Beast

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2008, 15:21 »

It better not be in any way similar to that Buzz Lightyear shit. Otherwise, to infinity... and beyond!
I had two cars but I wrecked em.

Neskah

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2008, 16:03 »

I think I'm the only person in the world that was and always has been underwhelmed by Toy Story. I was surprised they made a sequel. I'm stunned they're making a third/

I'm learning to like CGI animation, but my first love will forever be ink'n'paint. I've enjoyed most Pixar movies, and funnily enough I must also be the only person in the world who loved Cars.
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Scruffy

• The Janitor
« Reply #18 on: 22 Feb 2008, 06:06 »

I think I'm the only person in the world that was and always has been underwhelmed by Toy Story. I was surprised they made a sequel. I'm stunned they're making a third/

I'm learning to like CGI animation, but my first love will forever be ink'n'paint. I've enjoyed most Pixar movies, and funnily enough I must also be the only person in the world who loved Cars.

Your really not.  I thought the first one was decent... Only decent.  Then they made the second one which I hated.  Basically reusing all the sprites and adding mabee one new one, sort of  like Shred the Third...  But a third one?  This one would need a miracle to survive, and an even bigger miracle to get me to watch it. 

BootsyMarie

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:18 »

At the very least, it can't be any more atrocious than Lion king 1 1/2.

God, talk about desecration of the sacred. What an awful, terrible movie. The Lion King is probably tied with Beauty and The Beast as the best Disney movie. And what do they do? Completely destroy any semblance of message or seriousness that the original movie had in order to focus on the two dipshits of the series.

Am I wrong for admitting I enjoyed the sequel to Lion King? Not 1 1/2. Fucking 2. Oh man. I loved 2 just as much as one. Not any more. Just as much.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #20 on: 22 Feb 2008, 11:23 »

Your really not.  I thought the first one was decent... Only decent.  Then they made the second one which I hated.  Basically reusing all the sprites and adding mabee one new one, sort of  like Shred the Third...  But a third one?  This one would need a miracle to survive, and an even bigger miracle to get me to watch it. 

The toys running across the street underneath traffic cones and completely gumming up traffic was pretty hilarious.

And the Shrek movies have always been pop-culture reference smarmy bullshit.  The first one was all right, but after that it's just staring at a goat's balls for 90 minutes.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #21 on: 23 Feb 2008, 11:17 »

Yes, you are the only one - to be underwhelmed by Toy Story.  I loved it, and remember watching it in theatres, and being one of three adults in the theatre without a child as cover.

And you're not the only person to love Cars either  -you share that love with my 4 year old. 
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #22 on: 16 Mar 2008, 03:20 »

i'm not sure whether to be excited over the return of one of my favourite films when i was younger, or horrified at the thought of how it might be butchered

anyone know when it is coming out?

muteKi

« Reply #23 on: 17 Mar 2008, 09:17 »

Yes, you are the only one - to be underwhelmed by Toy Story.  I loved it, and remember watching it in theatres, and being one of three adults in the theatre without a child as cover.

And you're not the only person to love Cars either  -you share that love with my 4 year old. 

Hey, I liked Cars too.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #24 on: 17 Mar 2008, 10:35 »

There was nothing wrong with Cars - as a kid's movie, but dammit, there wasn't anything for the adults here, and if I'm trapped in a theatre with beaucoup de kids, I want something to distract me - other than the obvious.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

frunK

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2008, 08:40 »

Fuck that. Since when did a third movie of a Disney classic ever turn out even half fucking decent? Stop fucking with my childhood!

Aladin

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #26 on: 23 Mar 2008, 16:18 »

Fuck that. Since when did a third movie of a Disney classic ever turn out even half fucking decent? Stop fucking with my childhood!

Aladdin

I think that's pretty much cause they ripped off of Ali Baby and the Fourty Thieves for one of them, I think it was the second one.  The third one was Return of Jafar....which doesn't seem to be too bad, but I saw it a long time ago.  Kingdom Hearts II ripped off Return of Jafar for the Agrabah world.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2008, 19:27 »

You actually have it backwards.  The Return of Jafar was the second one, and I can't remember the name of the third one, but it had a certain epicness to it that wasn't seen in the other two.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Juniper Jade

• Larger than most fish
  • brb picking up high school boys
    • Myspaces
« Reply #28 on: 23 Mar 2008, 20:11 »

I'm excited for Toy Story III, hopefully it'll do great when it's released. The idea of the toys finally being abandoned by Andy will be interesting to see. I haven't been disappointed in a Pixar movie yet, I mean yeah some are better than others but they're still good compared to some of the other 3D movies out there. And Toy Story is a classic, no matter what.

I'm also exited for The Princess and the Frog! I'm so happy with John Lasseter working with Disney and bringing 2D animation back. Eee.

Oh and I looooove Lion King 2 too. I don't know why it's just a lot better than most, if not all, of Disney's shitty straight to DVD sequels.
"Happiness is the secret to all beauty. There is no beauty that is attractive without happiness." - Christian Dior

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar 2008, 21:44 »

-straight to dvd-
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar 2008, 21:53 »

I am so dissapointed that the original idea of it being somehow set in Thailand obviously didn't go through. That movie would have kicked ass.

Butch

« Reply #31 on: 26 Mar 2008, 07:41 »

Toy Story III's fate just hangs in the air right now.  They may have the original talent returning, but that hasn't stopped other popular sequels from failing.  Since the story's so much more a 20-30 year old's childhood than the present generation, it has a tough market to please as far as children go.  I'm not sure how many toys I'd have played with if I grew up in the era of the PlayStation2 and if I'd have become as attached to the toys as Andy is in the movie.  Maybe that's an issue they'll touch on with the third installment too, if it's worth two-craps.

Darn kids these days, with their Wiis and PSPs.  In my day, if your parents let you have a TigerElectric handheld, you were happy!
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2008, 07:43 by Butch »

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #32 on: 26 Mar 2008, 08:54 »

At the moment 2 of my sons have Nintendo DS' - when I was their age Pong was just coming out....

RallyMonkey

« Reply #33 on: 26 Mar 2008, 09:41 »

I think you may be underestimating children these days. I'm 16 right now, and it seemed to me like Toy Story came out at the perfect time in my childhood. I don't recall exactly how old I was when it came out, but I became obsessed with it after I saw it in theaters, first movie I ever had on tape, and I watched that continuously.

I know this wasn't just me, for everyone I've always talked to about it agrees that Toy Story was one of, it not their favorite movie. Sure, life was different back in 1995, but it couldn't have been too different, for I remember playing the Toy Story game on the SNES.

Nodaisho

« Reply #34 on: 27 Mar 2008, 02:17 »

Same with me, 16 and I remember seeing it in the theatre. I would still like to see a new one, though I doubt it would be much good.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

morca007

« Reply #35 on: 27 Mar 2008, 03:41 »

Just because they are children's movies doesn't mean they have to be shit.
This.

Toy Story is one of the best movies of the past twenty years.
A most excellent essay on the topic of Buzz Lightyear's spiritual delusion: http://metaphilm.com/index.php/detail/toy_story/

Ikrik

« Reply #36 on: 27 Mar 2008, 19:23 »

Just because they are children's movies doesn't mean they have to be shit.
This.

Toy Story is one of the best movies of the past twenty years.
A most excellent essay on the topic of Buzz Lightyear's spiritual delusion: http://metaphilm.com/index.php/detail/toy_story/

Oh man...this is JUST like that book The Pooh Perplex...or whatever it's called.  There are tons of essays talking about all these different things about how sophisticated Winny the Pooh is...seriously..it's for kids. 

captain zoe

« Reply #37 on: 27 Mar 2008, 21:36 »

Toy Story II was and pretty much still is the only "Disney" sequel I've ever enjoyed.  Almost all the others have been absolute shit.  And aside from that I have yet to see a Pixar movie I've been disappointed in.  I'm excited for this though, it's been listed on IMDB for a while now. 

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #38 on: 30 Nov 2009, 20:09 »

Traileerrrrrr

Also release date.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Ikrik

« Reply #39 on: 01 Dec 2009, 15:30 »

Wall.E -> Up -> Toy Story 3?

Pixar is amazing and they are easily some of the best storytellers of this generation.  But why another Toy Story?  I don't think there needs to be more, didn't they say everything that needed to be said with the first two movies? 

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #40 on: 02 Dec 2009, 03:29 »

yay more toy story! I love toy story, totes can't wait for this :D
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #41 on: 02 Dec 2009, 07:44 »

Wall.E -> Up -> Toy Story 3?

Pixar is amazing and they are easily some of the best storytellers of this generation.  But why another Toy Story?  I don't think there needs to be more, didn't they say everything that needed to be said with the first two movies? 

Obviously not?

I mean, I'm generally against excessive sequels on principle (excessive usually means any sequels at all, by the way) but honestly Pixar have more than earned my trust by now. There's been plenty of times when I have gone in to a Pixar flick fully expecting to be underwhelmed based on my assumptions from the basic premise of the story, and been summarily blown away. By now I've learnt my lesson.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 02 Dec 2009, 10:00 »

Yeah, Up seemed like the lamest story ever and then I saw it and I cried and laughed and it's one of my favorite Pixar movies, the set of which makes up a large subset of my favorite movies ever.

Not gonna bitch about a sequel when the first was great, the second managed to be even better, and Pixar's still being excellent. If it turns out to be bad then okay they finally dropped the ball but I'm not putting stock in that theory.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #43 on: 09 Dec 2009, 19:00 »

I loved it, and remember watching it in theatres, and being one of three adults in the theatre without a child as cover.

I watched Toy Story 2 in a theater in Korea. Because it was subtitled and my sisters and I were the only Americans in the theater, I would get the jokes before anyone else in the theater had read it yet. Then because I was laughing so loud everyone would turn to look at me and miss the subtitles; I ruined the movie for those poor people.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #44 on: 13 Dec 2009, 14:41 »

You actually have it backwards.  The Return of Jafar was the second one, and I can't remember the name of the third one, but it had a certain epicness to it that wasn't seen in the other two.

Aladdin and the King of Thieves. You're right, the thrill of the third movie went way beyond of the first one. I saw it a bunch of times as a kid, and it stayed with me until this day. I can still remember the excitement.

The Lion King is one I fondly remember too, but I'm not sure whether or not I ever saw Toy Story. Can't say I care much about any of the sequels, then.

Wait, what's that stuff about Lion King... one-and-a-half? I remember anticipating the second movie, it really gave me a sense of novelty, since I had never seen a sequel to something I loved before that. After that there was a third... I think? Oh, apparently that was called 1 1/2. Yeah, never saw that, thought it was gonna suck. Apparently it did?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #45 on: 13 Dec 2009, 16:19 »

One of my roommates loves Lion King 1.5.  I've not yet watched it, but he generally has a pretty good taste in movies (generally)

reading about Aladdin and the King of Thieves makes me really want to watch the whole trilogy again (I have all three on VHS still).  I watched the first one all the time as a kid, and occasionally the Return of Jafar, but I only watched the third one maybe 3 times total. 
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Ikrik

« Reply #46 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:38 »

Lion King 1 1/2 is the one that follows Timon and Pumba, yes?  If it is, that movie is absolutely irredeemable.  What they do is show events from the first Lion King and apparently Timon and Pumba were there too.  It's a little insulting to see if you have respect for the original film.  You know in the first movie, all the animal kingdom bows down to Simba?  In 1.5, that's because Pumba farts and it knocks all the animals out.  Oh Disney, what were you thinking?

I think most of the Disney sequels were horrible.  The one that always struck me as the most tasteless was Bambi 2.  There was a film that really didn't need to be made. 

Also, watching Fantasia 2000 makes me a little sad.  Celebrities?  In Fantasia?  They should keep up the Fantasia movies though, little animated shorts set to classical and maybe a few contemporary pieces?  Could be pretty awesome.

Theriandros

« Reply #47 on: 14 Dec 2009, 10:45 »

I am having very mixed feelings about #3. True, it's pretty much being made by Pixar and corporate is putting effort into making a real movie rather than a shitquel, but I thought #2 was pretty average. Not bad, but far from the greatness that Pixar was capable of. These guys may have made WALL-E, The Incredibles, and Monsters, Inc, but they also made Cars, which was also pretty average.

So anwyays, I am skeptical and hopeful.

Also, random Pixar fact: Apparently Joss Whedon was on the Oscar-nominated writing team for the original Toy Story.
Other random Pixar fact: Up is the second-highest-worldwide-grossing movie ever released by Pixar.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #48 on: 15 Dec 2009, 11:03 »

Other random Pixar fact: Up is the second-highest-worldwide-grossing movie ever released by Pixar.

Up is quite sad at certain times to the point where I don't want to watch it again for emotional reasons.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #49 on: 17 Dec 2009, 05:54 »

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up