THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man  (Read 62058 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Iron Man
« Reply #100 on: 02 May 2008, 08:32 »

Batman and Robin is painfully campy and crappy. I liked Uma's costumes, but the rest was shit. Batman Forever had some redeeming values, but B&R definitely failed.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #101 on: 02 May 2008, 12:44 »

I can't say I've ever spent any time thinking about which movie was worse up until now, and frankly I've already given up. When I saw those movies it quickly became apparent that they were shit. Other factors like the color and consistency of said shit and whether or not one film was a steaming pile of shit as opposed to a stale pile of shit never hit me as particularly relevant.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #102 on: 02 May 2008, 15:00 »

But but but so many incredible puns!

Cop: Please show some mercy!
Freeze: I'm afraid my condition has left me cold to your pleas of mercy.

Mr. Freeze: Ice to see you!

Mr. Freeze: What killed the dinosaurs? The Ice Age!

Mr. Freeze: Cool party!

Mr. Freeze: Allow me to break the ice. My name is Freeze. Learn it well. For it's the chilling sound of your doom.

Mr. Freeze: Let's kick some ice!

And everyime I read those, I hear Arny saying them.

I enjoyed Batman Forever very much.  It wasn't too over the top like B&R, yes, Jim Carrey was over-the-top, but then again, when isn;t he?  And TOmmy Lee Jones did an excellent job I thought, no true to comic form, but I digress.

Question, did Mandrain make it into the film at all?
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

talon

« Reply #103 on: 02 May 2008, 15:22 »

don't hijack the thread with batman (however awesome he is and however much joel schumacher sucks)

anyways, saw iron man last night and man was it awesome. RDJ is so cocky and sincere at the same time, just as he should be playing iron man. the war machine nod was sweet for us fanboys (and a sequel) and the behemoth villian suit was way cool and over the top. everything i expected and the previews were cool too.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #104 on: 02 May 2008, 20:34 »

I should maybe point out that I have watched Batman and Robin with the director's commentary. Even Joel Schumaker didn't like it. He basically spent the entire thing apologising and explaining that Warner Bros demanded a lot of the stupid shit be included because they wanted the film to be for kids, not Batman fans. Also you should be happy about that, Warner Bros asked Schumaker to direct a fifth Batman film with Scarecrow as the villain and he turned it down because he murdered the fourth film so badly.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #105 on: 02 May 2008, 20:45 »

Iron Man owns all of your faces.

Officially.

My girlfriend's great and all, but I would probably sleep with Robert Downey Jr. after that.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #106 on: 02 May 2008, 21:00 »

Just got back from the movie, and I gotta say, wow. Movie was all I expected and more, and fully lived up to the hype in my mind. If you go, just be sure to stick around after the credits are over for their little teaser.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #107 on: 02 May 2008, 23:58 »

I hope each and every one of you people stayed after the credits.

SUCH. A FUCKING. GOOD. MOVIE.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Aimless

• Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #108 on: 03 May 2008, 01:24 »

I cried when I found out what I'd missed :( Tempted to go see it again just for that... and all the kickass action of course.
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

öde

« Reply #109 on: 03 May 2008, 07:41 »

Stay until the end of the credits for the sweetest surprise. I didn't, and hearing about what I missed caused me MUCH ANGUISH :(

Nooooo.

It was weak concerning character development but other than that, really fun.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #110 on: 03 May 2008, 07:43 »

My girlfriend's great and all, but I would probably sleep with Robert Downey Jr. after that.

Pretty much true for everyone
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #111 on: 03 May 2008, 15:20 »

Goddamn it was awesome. Not only would I personally consider this the best superhero movie made to date, but I read that it is also the best reviewed movie of the year so far... which is pretty much something they always say, and it is the first blockbuster of the summer, but for a superhero movie, that is really awesome.

It really had everything I could have ever hoped for.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #112 on: 03 May 2008, 18:42 »

Warner Bros demanded a lot of the stupid shit be included because they wanted the film to be for kids, not Batman fans.

I will never understand this. Did these executives need someone to spell out for them the simple idea that there's a lot of overlap between the kid and Batman fan demographics? It really saddens me to think that a simple Venn diagram could have prevented so much anguish.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #113 on: 03 May 2008, 19:27 »

anyways, saw iron man last night and man was it awesome. RDJ is so cocky and sincere at the same time, just as he should be playing iron man. the war machine nod was sweet for us fanboys (and a sequel) and the behemoth villian suit was way cool and over the top. everything i expected and the previews were cool too.

Iron Man owns all of your faces.

Just had to quote them 'cause they were spot on.  the movie was awesome!  Robert Downey Jr. was awesome.  Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard, Jeff Bridges - well cast all.  I loved Jarvis - great touch.  The action was kick-ass, the comic relief was hilarious, and the actors were well-chosen.  You expect a little bit of a thin storyline with comic book movies, but this one was fairly stong, with minimal plot holes - none actually come to mind at the moment.  There are just one or two points where it gets a little slow in the middle, but I'm quibbling here.  Jon Favreau got the tone just right, I thought, and I'm just really happy with the movie.

And yes, i too went 'squeee!' at the War Machine nod.  But in a totally manly way.    *ahem*
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #114 on: 03 May 2008, 19:57 »

This really was a good movie! I was surprised; there was quite a bit of nuance and actual moral dimensions to it. It wasn't just "BLOW SHIT UP!" like most recent comic book hero movies have been (sans Batman.)

I strongly disagree with the idea that character development was lacking--Ironically, I actually found the parts with RDJ just interacting with other people while not in the suit to be much more endearing and entertaining than when he was zooming around in random Afghan villages shooting terrorists. However...The final battle left me extremely underwhelmed. In fact, the ending itself was kind of cliche/crappy (except, of course, for the kick-assery of the after credits.) It also annoyed me that the terrorist group was some random, made up bull-shit organization. The rest of the movie is fairly well-grounded in modern reality (except for the gigantic flying suits and all.) Why couldn't it have been the Taliban or Al-Qaeda? The average audience member would intrinsically think that that's who the terrorist organization was anyway. Who else is in Afghanistan?

Still, on the whole, a great, great movie.

I think the reason I liked it so much is because they actually spend the majority of the movie making you care about the main characters, and not reducing them to static caricatures.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #115 on: 03 May 2008, 20:39 »

You know, that terrorist group wasn't that random. "The Ten Rings" ring a bell?
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #116 on: 03 May 2008, 21:53 »

Yeah, it was a pretty obvious reference to the Mandarin being the one in control, who I hope shows up in the sequel with a much less silly origin story than magic space alien rings.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #117 on: 04 May 2008, 02:07 »

Considering how they've started this franchise, I doubt they'd fuck it up that way but then again...

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #118 on: 04 May 2008, 07:08 »

Saw it last night, thought it was a very entertaining, solid movie. Robert Downey Jr. was possibly the most charismatic and well-cast actor in a superhero role I've ever seen. But that might be hyperbole on my part. Jeff Bridges, while excellent in most scenes, I think had trouble with a few scenes, particularly the one where he started yelling at the engineer. Seemed awkward. He also seemed pretty awkward when he was exposed in his suit at the end.

There were also a number of scenes, particularly in the mid to final part, that were either badly acted or badly written, but didn't take away too much from the movie. Except for the cringe-worthy line from Gwyneth Paltrow "My card's not working. What's that thing? Some kind of device? Is it going to pick the lock?" pretty much delivered as unnaturally and quickly as possible.

Also, the entire climax to the film felt like it wasn't properly built up to. I was just thinking throughout the whole climax "They're really doing it right now? It feels so awkward at this point." which was kind of nagging. They probably could've gone longer and put a little more material in there, properly (at least in my opinion) built up to the climax.

But as I said, Downey Jr.: EXCELLENT. Any scene with him in the finished suit?: EXCELLENT. Final hidden scene?: EXCELLENT. Origin story portion of the film?: Pretty damn solid. And the opening scene was perfect as well.

Overall, definitely a worthwhile film.
« Last Edit: 04 May 2008, 07:10 by JediBendu »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #119 on: 04 May 2008, 10:55 »

To explain in further detail the significance of the terrorist organization (Emilio and Jordan obviously got it):

The terrorist organization made multiple references to a classic Iron Man villain by the name of the Mandarin. He was a very powerful crime lord with who had ten rings that each did something different and destructive. He was also allegedly a descendant of Ghengis Khan.

Considering the leader of the terrorist group called it The Ten Rings and was obsessed with Ghengis Khan, it was a pretty obvious reference.
JON MADE ME GAY

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #120 on: 04 May 2008, 12:21 »

You expect a little bit of a thin storyline with comic book movies, but this one was fairly stong, with minimal plot holes - none actually come to mind at the moment.

How about the whole descent from second-in-command to crazed lunatic running the streets in a gigantic power suit? I found the logic behind the final fight a little silly, considering that the entire objective of the operation was to sell the thing, not control the world.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #121 on: 04 May 2008, 13:35 »

To explain in further detail the significance of the terrorist organization (Emilio and Jordan obviously got it):

The terrorist organization made multiple references to a classic Iron Man villain by the name of the Mandarin. He was a very powerful crime lord with who had ten rings that each did something different and destructive. He was also allegedly a descendant of Ghengis Khan.

Considering the leader of the terrorist group called it The Ten Rings and was obsessed with Ghengis Khan, it was a pretty obvious reference.

See, I never read any Iron Man comics. I was always a Batman/Superman guy.

But, again, my point still stands--the vast majority of people who see this movie aren't going to have read the comics either, and so many will have the same reaction I did (I know that sounds presumptuous, but it's the reaction I've gotten from literally everyone I've talked to who's seen the movie--"Why weren't they just the Taliban/Al-Qaeda?")
 - Napoleon

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #122 on: 04 May 2008, 17:22 »

It's not even just that. It's the same reason you don't mention George Bush or Paris Hilton in most movies. It horribly dates it. Fifteen years from now, no one who didn't live through this era is going to know what the fuck a Taliban is.
JON MADE ME GAY

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #123 on: 04 May 2008, 18:31 »

Sure.

Because no-one today knows what a Nazi is.
 - Napoleon

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #124 on: 04 May 2008, 18:47 »

Comparing the Taliban to Nazis is more than a little inaccurate...I've already half-forgotten who they were, and it's only been 7 years since the last major event involving them occurred.  Face it, they don't really do much compared to the Nazis.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

no one special

• Curry sauce
« Reply #125 on: 04 May 2008, 20:19 »

Yeah, so... gettin' the thread back on track...

How about the whole descent from second-in-command to crazed lunatic running the streets in a gigantic power suit? I found the logic behind the final fight a little silly, considering that the entire objective of the operation was to sell the thing, not control the world.

One objective was selling, yes, but the other main objective was to stick it to Tony Stark.  Stane was the one who had Tony kidnapped in the first place, to get him out of the way so he could take over the corporation.  Also, Stane couldn't stand that Tony betrayed him (by refusing to sell weapons), so it got personal.  Also, of course, Stane is jealous of Tony's genius.  To top it all off, Tony invented his greatest creation and refused to share it or profit from it.  So with the Iron Monger, Stane thought he had finally topped Tony Stark, and there was only one true way to show that he had - destroy Tony Stark and his armor. 

if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #126 on: 05 May 2008, 00:39 »

Nah, nah, they didn't sell Stane and Stark's relationship at all. Stane works under Tony's dad for years and years and years, and then under Tony for years and years, and all of a sudden he just orders a hit on Tony? Why? I mean, if it had been revealed that Stane was behind the father's death or something, then you'd have something. But as it stood Stane was a cardboard cutout of a villain.

Still, solid movie, light on action but entertaining all the same, which is always something worth encouraging.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #127 on: 05 May 2008, 05:47 »

I just got home from seeing this with my girlfriend. We both loved it, it was really well done from start to finish. My only complaint was that line of Paltrow's that wasn't delivered very well and seemed out of character given that Pepper is a woman who is constantly around a dude with crazy gadgets and should have been scrapped entirely or edited down to "What's that?" It's not like it ruined the film for me though. Oh and we stayed til after the credits so I'm really excited.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #128 on: 05 May 2008, 08:04 »

This movie needed more Ghostface

Also, I didn't wait for the
(click to show/hide)
and now I have to watch it again.

Dissy

• The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #129 on: 05 May 2008, 08:37 »

If y'all missed the scene at the end, here it is.  And I am suing Jackson for breach of contract, again.  SPOILER ALERT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR6zOyj7QXs
« Last Edit: 05 May 2008, 09:02 by Dissy »
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #130 on: 05 May 2008, 19:39 »

Oh god, I just realized that Obadiah Stane was Jeff Bridges

"I don't think we should make weapons any more Obie"
"Yeah well, that is just like your opinion man"

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #131 on: 06 May 2008, 10:46 »

yeah, i didn't realize it was Jeff Bridges either until about 3/4 of the way through the movie.

did it feel extremely rushed to anyone else? i thought the pacing was horrible.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #132 on: 06 May 2008, 12:18 »

He's got a Nick Nolte vibe going on throughout this movie. Makes a better oily executive than a supervillain. Those scenes where he has to yell or be "mwahaha" evil don't really work.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Quiet_Soul

« Reply #133 on: 06 May 2008, 12:20 »

Iron Man was awesome. Epic win.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #134 on: 06 May 2008, 12:41 »

did it feel extremely rushed to anyone else? i thought the pacing was horrible.

Actually, I think it was one of the few times I've seen a superhero movie where the pacing was perfect. They didn't fuck around, they kind of jumped right into it (As opposed to Spider-Man or Batman Begins) without leaving you wondering what the fuck was going on (Ala Blade).
JON MADE ME GAY

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #135 on: 06 May 2008, 12:46 »

i thought the pacing in the beginning was good but after he started working on the Mark II it seemed to rush towards the end far too quickly.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

carrotosaurus

• Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #136 on: 06 May 2008, 14:49 »

I thought the movie was awesome and I usually hate what super hero movies do to the comics. I really enjoyed the fact that they kept Stark the sarcastic asshole that he always was. If Marvel keeps this up they will be on track for a bunch of good comic movies... I also enjoyed the Stan Lee cameo. Not to mention the fact that Jeff bridges is the man. Jon Favreau gets an A+ in my book.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #137 on: 06 May 2008, 18:25 »

So,

Hulk later this summer (With Tony Stark cameo)
Ant-Man, Iron Man 2 & Thor - 2010
Captain America & Avengers - 2011

Marvel is really going into this as balls-to-the-wall as they can. I hope it works out, because if all of this comes together into an epic Avengers movie like it should, I will be so freaking happy.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #138 on: 06 May 2008, 20:45 »

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #139 on: 06 May 2008, 21:18 »

How the fuck does Marvel plan to sell an Ant-Man movie?
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #140 on: 06 May 2008, 21:29 »

Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) is doing it and has been working towards making the best Ant-Man movie he can make.

That sells it enough for me.

Also, I don't buy the McConaughey rumor, if the casting of Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are any indication for the future of this little run up to the Avengers movie.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #141 on: 06 May 2008, 21:39 »

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #142 on: 07 May 2008, 14:32 »

Iron Man slayed.  Probably the best comic book movie I've seen.

I disagree about the "What's that?  Is it going to unlock the door?" line.  I thought it was funny.  "You might want to step back."

The secret scene after-credits was more LOL than "awesome" for me, just because of who it involved.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #143 on: 07 May 2008, 17:15 »

I definitely agree with you here Jackie. I truly made a bit of a fool of myself in the theater when I was the only one of my friends who didn't say something along the lines of "KICKASS", when instead I started to bubble with obscene laughter. Not that I'm not excited for Iron Man 2. The after-credits bit was still awesome. Iron Man was still awesome. I feel like the best place to say this is on the internet but, Iron Man was the best superhero movie I have ever seen. Sure! The product placement was a bit ridiculous (Every car was an Audi) but who cares? It didn't hinder my experience, it enhanced it. It was well-fucking-done product placement that further helped me to place the movie in our own universe, which is something I applaud. Also, Obi was an excellent villain. Why? He wasn't meant to be a supervillain. He really was supposed to be a greasy company executive who was trying to be a villain. It worked. He wasn't much of a bad guy as far as something like The Joker goes because the world he lived in was something else. Not entirely, but it worked to make him that much more convincing. Especially because of the excellent job Mr. Bridges did.
Another thing! OMG excellent performance on Robert Downey's part. Did they rush things? I felt like the movie was really taking its time. The amount of character development and back-story created for the main characters was really something. I never got the feeling that the movie was telling me "HERE IS YOUR DAMN EXPOSITION" and "HERE IS SOME MORE FUCKING EXPOSITION". I got to know the characters in a sincere way through actions that moved the plot forward. Every piece was part of the whole, unlike in, say Batman Begins (No tomatoes plx.).
To avoid any tl;dr's, I'm done for now.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

no one special

• Curry sauce
« Reply #144 on: 07 May 2008, 18:49 »

The only product placement that bugged me was the Burger King one.  It just felt overtly obvious to me.  Tiny quibble.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #145 on: 07 May 2008, 18:52 »

Also, I don't buy the McConaughey rumor, if the casting of Tony Stark and Bruce Banner are any indication for the future of this little run up to the Avengers movie.

I don't know, on Leno Downey Jr. told him that he really had to work for the part.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #146 on: 08 May 2008, 00:58 »

Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz) is doing it and has been working towards making the best Ant-Man movie he can make.

That sells it enough for me.

What if Edgar Wright is doing the Irredeemable Ant-Man version? It makes sense, considering his credentials. Ant-Man would become the comic relief of the Avengers movie, and it would actually be pretty awesome!

And, I have a hard time believing the McConaughey (damntoohardtospell) rumors also. I'll admit that he has the physical qualities needed, but how are they going to justify Cap being shirtless for two-thirds of the movie?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #147 on: 08 May 2008, 09:30 »

I'm having a really hard time imagining how a Captain America movie could be particularly good without being a comedy.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #148 on: 08 May 2008, 09:32 »

Saving Private Ryan with shield slinging.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #149 on: 08 May 2008, 10:21 »

Honestly, I think there's a lot of potential in Cap as a character that's gone largely untapped in the actual comics. The concept of struggling to maintain his own identity when he disagrees with the government or the fish-out-of-time story of the Ultimates makes Cap waaaay more interesting and I hope they go in that direction.

Hell, make the first act of the movie a hyper-stylized, ultra-patriotic backstory of a young recruit who becomes a war hero and punches Hitler in the face, then use the second act to throw him into a world that he doesn't know and he can't wrap his head around, then the third act with him finding his place in the ideas that even though the country changes, the ideals of America never do.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up