THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The 'Musicals Suck' Thread  (Read 58138 times)

rancidhooligan

The 'Musicals Suck' Thread
« on: 05 Mar 2008, 14:35 »

Inspired by a recent "Ask Jeph" post.
Why do you hate musicals?

Because they are bad

I'll admit that I actually have one musical that I enjoy, Hedwig and the Angry Inch but that's the only one.  Oklahoma can suck my ass (the state as well as the musical,) South Pacific can blow me and don't get me started on fucking Rocky Horror Picture Show.  I was forced to sit through a group showing of that piece of crap and I actually fell asleep halfway through because it was so bad (and I was drunk.)

Musicals suck and unless it's the aforementioned Hedwig you'll never get me to agree otherwise.

Discuss.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
Re: The 'Musicals Suck' Thread
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2008, 14:46 »

oh ok

rancidhooligan

« Reply #2 on: 05 Mar 2008, 15:04 »

Shit, man. fucking West Side Story! It's good!

Boooooooooring.  Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria, Maria.... boring.

Next!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 05 Mar 2008, 15:08 »

for hating musicals you sure know alot about them.
i don't even like/dislike musicals and i couldn't tell you the first thing about one except for that when i saw Rent, Scary Spice (yeah, really) mooned the whole audience.

and it was good.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #4 on: 05 Mar 2008, 15:16 »

for hating musicals you sure know alot about them.

That's true.  I hate musicals... my wife on the other hand, does not.  Therefore, I know quite a bit about them, even though I despise them.  The fact that she enjoys, and listens to, musicals might have, in some small way, contributed to my disdain for them.

Watch this: http://imdb.com/title/tt0308495/

Anything is possible, I suppose but I'd probably be more likely to re-watch Dune than watch that.

This is sort of fun... maybe you musical lovers should try and find a musical that I would actually watch.  You could post links to it's IMDB page and then explain why I might actually like it.  I promise to rent the DVD of the musical whose description sounds most badass (no lying!) and maybe, just maybe, if I actually like it, the person who wrote the description will get some sort of prize or something.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 15:18 by rancidhooligan »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #5 on: 05 Mar 2008, 15:48 »

Threads based entirely around complaining about something make the entire Internet cry.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 05 Mar 2008, 15:52 »

Proven wrong.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #7 on: 05 Mar 2008, 15:56 »

Inspired by a recent "Ask Jeph" post.
Why do you hate musicals?

Because they are bad

I'll admit that I actually have one musical that I enjoy, Hedwig and the Angry Inch but that's the only one.  Oklahoma can suck my ass (the state as well as the musical,) South Pacific can blow me and don't get me started on fucking Rocky Horror Picture Show.  I was forced to sit through a group showing of that piece of crap and I actually fell asleep halfway through because it was so bad (and I was drunk.)

Musicals suck and unless it's the aforementioned Hedwig you'll never get me to agree otherwise.

Discuss.

I agree with your general stance on musicals, though I strongly disagree with your way of stating it.

I am an actor.  I have participated in many productions at my high school, and I am planning on pursuing acting in college.  I have been in about the same number of musicals as non-musicals, even though I consider myself an actor and not a singer by any means.  I have participated in musicals because I have made a point of being in as many theatrical production as possible.  Through my experiences I have drawn several conclusions as to why I have a general dislike of musicals:

-They place a premium on singing, too often forgetting that acting is what drives theatrical performance.
-They usually have terribly written plots (exceptions, see below).
-The music is often formulaic and not to my tastes (exceptions, again, see below).

The first and second are probably the two biggest reasons for me.  I personally believe acting is the driving force behind live theater, and I dislike it when someone gets a role based on only their singing ability and not their acting ability, or when they lean heavily on singing to make their character, and ignore acting,  Unfortunately, most musicals encourage this phenomenon by having terribly written librettos.  I recently performed in The Secret Garden.  The script had obviously been written as an afterthought to the music; the lines were simple, boring, uninspired, and at times so cliche that it was painful to listen to them.  I believe that a truly great actor would have been able to make those lines seem so natural that the awkwardness of the script would melt away, but he/she would have to be truly great actor indeed.

An exception to these rules, in my opinion, is West Side Story (because it borrow practically its entire plot from Romeo and Juliet, which ironically Shakespeare jacked from someone else also; Leonard Bernstein also was a great composer).  I also greatly enjoy the movie musical An American In Paris, because it has brilliant music by Gershwin and better writing (not to mention acting) than most other musicals.  Finally, I consider My Fair Lady to be an absolutely first-rate piece of theater, because it builds on the already fantastic foundation of George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion, adding fantastic music and incorporating Shaw's plot and even his exact words in to most of the songs and action.  Also, there is more action and less singing, but when singing occurs it is memorable and effective.  The movie version has skilled, believable, and genius performances by Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn.

Music-wise, I find most musical music to be simple, formulaic, and shallow.  I don't find that most musicals are able to convey complex emotions through their music.  I can't say that I have been challenged to think as much by a song from a musical than by a piece of music written outside the context of a musical.  The exceptions are those previously noted.

I also think that something must be said for musicals which fully realize and own up to the fact that they are shallow entertainment and not art.  I performed in a fantastic production of Anything Goes which had one purpose: to entertain the audience through silly singing and impressive dancing.  It completed its purpose very well.

Andrew Lloyd Weber though.  Geez.  Nasty shit.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2008, 16:06 »

Threads based entirely around complaining about something make the entire Internet cry.

The entire internet is based on complaining about stuff... it's what Al Gore invented it for.

Posts complaining about other people complaining are what make the entire internet cry.  (Why did you capitalize "internet?"  It isn't a proper noun, you know.)

Proven wrong.

Saw it, it sucked.  Next!

I agree with your general stance on musicals, though I strongly disagree with your way of stating it.

I mean, I'm not writing a thesis here.  I started this thread as a lark.  I found what Jeph said amusing so I started a thread based on it.  I'm not out here trying to defend the position, "Musicals Suck," with any seriousness but I do find them simplistic and they offend my musical tastes.

Why not make a thread about music-related things you enjoy instead?

Contribute something positive?  I hadn't thought about that.  I could try, I suppose... but wait, what if someone said something negative about something I liked?  I just don't think I could take that kind of rejection, Doc.  Oh, I could always move the conversation to ponies.  Everyone loves ponies.  Am I right?

EDIT:  By the way, Anyways, that was your 2020th post.  I don't know why but I think we need to get Hugh Downs up in this piece.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 16:08 by rancidhooligan »

pig nash

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2008, 16:11 »

The only two I enjoy are Urinetown and Spamalot.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2008, 16:13 »

I can give Spamalot a pass, since it's a "musical" that's just songs from Monty Python.  That's doesn't technically qualify, IMHO, but whatever.

So, there are two "musicals" I suppose are okay.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #11 on: 05 Mar 2008, 16:22 »

I mean, I'm not writing a thesis here.  I started this thread as a lark.  I found what Jeph said amusing so I started a thread based on it.  I'm not out here trying to defend the position, "Musicals Suck," with any seriousness but I do find them simplistic and they offend my musical tastes.

That's cool.  I guess what I was trying to say was that the extended sexual metaphors were superfluous once you established that musicals sucked.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #12 on: 05 Mar 2008, 16:53 »

Extended superfluous sexual metaphors are one of life's great pleasures when done correctly, my friend.  Rereading my first post in this thread, it becomes apparent that, due most likely to the fact I am quite tired at present, my metaphors were rather pedestrian.  You have my sincere apologies for the banal phrases which "graced" my opening post.  I shall endeavor to use more inspired prose in the future.

Por ejemplo, instead of saying

Oklahoma can suck my ass

I should have said something along the lines of

Oklahoma can get anally molested (with no lube) by a herd of mad, frothing-at-the-mouth cows on the hottest, most wretchedly humid day of a Mississippi summer.

Now that's an superfluous extended sexual metaphor!

MOO!

vgaer

• Plantmonster
  • The puppy dog eyes will only get you so far...
« Reply #13 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:00 »

Rent. Les Miserables.

I love musicals.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #14 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:11 »

Rent... no.

Les Miserables?  Not only no but hell to the no.  Fist of all, it's title is in French.  I do not speak French, I do not wish to learn French, I do not enjoy much French cooking and I think Le Tour Eiffel is affreux.  Some of their music is okay, I really like French bread, their wine is amazing and they made one of my top ten favorite cars of all time... oh, sorry... I didn't mean that to turn into an indictment of French culture.  I'm not one of those stupid French-hating red staters (though I do live in a red state, much to my chagrin) who wanted french fries to be called "freedom fries" even though "french" refers to the style of cut, or the manner of cooking, rather than the origin of said delicious snack, which may, in fact, be Belgium.

I might read the book but I don't think I'd ever watch the Les Miserables in musical form.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #15 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:35 »

Um, the reason the title is in French is because it was a French play. It's not French for no reason.

And have fun with that! The book is simply boring, overwrought with details, full of totally unnecessary description, and really just tedious. The musical is a much better way of taking in the wonderful story than reading several novels' worth of worthless descriptions of the Battle of Waterloo and other such insignificant (as far as the actual story) events.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #16 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:39 »

Rent is really one of the musicals that I despise.

As is Les Mis.

I do, however, approve of extended sexual metaphors when they are successfully deployed in full force.  Bravo sir!

rancidhooligan

« Reply #17 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:39 »

So, all the songs and dialogue in Les Miserables is in French?  Now I know I'm not seeing it.  I can watch a lot of things with subtitles but not musicals.

Anime, yes.  Hong Kong action flims, yes.  Musicals, no.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #18 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:41 »

No, no, no! The original book was in French then translated. The book was then made into a French musical which has now been made into an English musical. So, if you go to West End or Broadway to see Les Mis, you'll get an English musical. If you go to France, you'll get it French. Obviously.

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #19 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:43 »

Rent is the biggest pile of trash since Cats.  It's one thing to adapt a piece of art to a musical, but it's another thing to butcher said artwork that wasn't very good to begin with.  La Boheme is the worst opera Puccini ever did.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

rancidhooligan

« Reply #20 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:44 »

The original book was in French then translated. The book was then made into a French musical which has now been made into an English musical.

So, if they translated it, why did they leave the title in French?

When they brought The Office over from the BBC, did they leave it in it's original language?  No, they cast Steve Carell in place of Ricky Gervais and translated everything (including the title) into English.  Is wanting them to do that with musicals too much to ask?

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #21 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:47 »

... I think you're being ridiculous. Leaving the title in French reminds everyone that this is about France, it's set in France, it's about the life of French people.

Also, who wants to go see a play called The Poor?

There's nothing wrong with leaving the title in French. You're very biased against it for no good reason. It truly is an amazing work of art, French or English.

(P.S. The Office is The Office in Britain or America. They didn't change the title. It's the same language.)
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 17:49 by vgaer »

rancidhooligan

« Reply #22 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:49 »

... I think you're being ridiculous.

Yes, quite.

You're very biased against it for no good reason. It truly is an amazing work of art, French or English.

I am biased against it but not because the title is French, just because Les Miserables is a musical.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #23 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:51 »

I am biased against it but not because the title is French, just because Les Miserables is a musical.

If that's so, then why did you go off about its Frenchness as soon as the name was mentioned?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #24 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:53 »

This is pretty much the stupidest thread in the entire forum right now.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #25 on: 05 Mar 2008, 17:57 »

If that's so, then why did you go off about its Frenchness as soon as the name was mentioned?

Because, talking about the French is good material... I got to talk about french fries and Citroëns and, in the irony of all ironies, insult the Eiffel Tower in French.  I was rather proud of that post, actually.

I beg to differ, sir.

This thread might be somewhat pointless but it is fun.  And, frankly, if it were as stupid a thread as you are insinuating, it would be here.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #26 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:05 »

Yes, bashing things ignorantly is very amusing.

I'm going to start 50 threads about bands I hate now.  Won't that be awesome.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #27 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:06 »

Because, talking about the French is good material... I got to talk about french fries and Citroëns and, in the irony of all ironies, insult the Eiffel Tower in French.  I was rather proud of that post, actually.

... It wasn't that great. It came off more as a silly rant.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #28 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:14 »

Showtunes is definitely one of those genres that gets orphaned when people claim to like all types of music except (x) and/or (y). It's up there with country music. 

But more on topic, I think we should just talk about how much I hate an ethnic group. That'd be controversial, right? Generate some discussion?

rancidhooligan

« Reply #29 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:20 »

Yes, bashing things ignorantly is very amusing.

I'm not ignorant of musicals, I simply do not enjoy them.

I'm going to start 50 threads about bands I hate now.  Won't that be awesome.

It might be awesome, depending on how you choose to discuss the bands you hate.  What I can't figure out is if you think this is the stupidest thread in the forums right now, why you keep posting in it.  If you don't like the thread, let it die.

... It wasn't that great. It came off more as a silly rant.

Ah, well, so be it.  I can assure that my silly rants don't tend to contain the word "chagrin" or anything in French, typically.  Usually there more about BS pop culture stuff.  I could probably whip one up on Care Bears or something, if you're interested.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #30 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:22 »

i'm trying to figure out whether it would have been better for you to bitch about how much you hate musicals in the perfectly good musicals thread we already have, or to stink up the forum with an entirely new thread dedicated to talking about how shit they are.

I really can't decide! They're both terrible options!
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #31 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:24 »

I don't want thiis thread to die because it is awesome to watch you make an ass of yourself.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #32 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:29 »

I also greatly enjoy the movie musical An American In Paris, because it has brilliant music by Gershwin

And lyrics by the "other" Gershwin! Why do people always forget about Ira? He was just as talented as George. Do people just forget about him because he didn't die tragically young? Show Ira Gershwin some love!

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #33 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:34 »

I apologize, I should have written the Gershwins.

Also, this thread is home to what I think is a fairly well written investigation of musicals.  Why can't we discuss why we dislike musicals in an intellectual manner similar to how I expressed my views?

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #34 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:35 »

Oh man, this thread. It's both simultaneously hilarious to watch you dig a little hole for yourself and also make me want to say, "Fuck you, I like musicals." I understand they aren't for everyone, but until you (you as in people in general) actually see them, you do not know the difference between a good musical and a bad musical.

Les Miserables?  Not only no but hell to the no.  Fist of all, it's title is in French.  BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This was probably one of the stupidest reasons I've ever heard for not wanting to see a musical. No shit the title is French, the book was French. It's a fantastic story and the music is amazing. Now if music from musicals isn't your thing, fine, then say that's the reason, but wasting time typing up a paragraph about how it's French when the musical itself is in ENGLISH makes no fucking sense.

So really, unless you want to get somewhere with this conversation, which as of now it doesn't look like you do, quit whining about it. Go outside and get some fresh air or something more worthwhile than trying to annoy people, which honestly is the only successful bit of this thread.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

rancidhooligan

« Reply #35 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:38 »

Also, this thread is home to what I think is a fairly well written investigation of musicals.  Why can't we discuss why we dislike musicals in an intellectual manner similar to how I expressed my views?

Not a bad idea but it is less fun than making sweeping generalizations using crude and descriptive adjectives.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #36 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:46 »

I'm more ambivalent about musicals than anything.  I do love some musicals as I seem to remember having posted in the other musicals thread, but it's not a thing that interests me in itself, like say, cyberpunk silliness. As far as cyberpunk goes, I am a genre enthusiast. Musicals, not so.

I'm not entirely sure what it is about musicals, other than the best of them, that turns me off, but among the possible reasons is definitely (ha) the music.
More specifically: the vocal style of most musicals is tepid and unengaging.  A lot of the time, the emphasis is on the lyrics because they're "clever" or they (almost) deliver a plot, so all the singing must be done in the most pure tone and with greatest care taken in enunciation. This is annoying.
Unless[/i]: the lyrics actually are clever and not trying to hard, or really do further a plot that makes it worth tolerating the singing and letting it grow on me. And sometimes: hey the songs, they got mad hooks.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:46 »

Oh man, this thread. It's both simultaneously hilarious to watch you dig a little hole for yourself and also make me want to say, "Fuck you, I like musicals." I understand they aren't for everyone, but until you (you as in people in general) actually see them, you do not know the difference between a good musical and a bad musical.

Les Miserables?  Not only no but hell to the no.  Fist of all, it's title is in French.  BLAH BLAH BLAH.

This was probably one of the stupidest reasons I've ever heard for not wanting to see a musical. No shit the title is French, the book was French. It's a fantastic story and the music is amazing. Now if music from musicals isn't your thing, fine, then say that's the reason, but wasting time typing up a paragraph about how it's French when the musical itself is in ENGLISH makes no fucking sense.

So really, unless you want to get somewhere with this conversation, which as of now it doesn't look like you do, quit whining about it. Go outside and get some fresh air or something more worthwhile than trying to annoy people, which honestly is the only successful bit of this thread.

Why is it that everyone else is better at expressing my opinions in a more articulate, forceful way? Dammit.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #38 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:48 »

No shit the title is French, the book was French. It's a fantastic story and the music is amazing. Now if music from musicals isn't your thing, fine, then say that's the reason, but wasting time typing up a paragraph about how it's French when the musical itself is in ENGLISH makes no fucking sense.

Yes, I'm well aware that the musical, when seen in America and probably England, Scotland, Austrailia and any other primarily English-speaking country is going to be in English.  Sarcasm must really be dead.  And to be fair, "wasting time typing up a paragraph about how it's French when the musical itself is in ENGLISH makes no fucking sense" to youI, on the other hand, am stuck at work so I am very, very bored and have consumed a large amount of coffee.  My post about the French was more or less just something to do to amuse myself while I wait for the freedom I so desperately want.

Again, I say, I cannot go outside and get some fresh air until I am done here and I'm not done here yet.  I'm not trying to annoy people, I'm not simpleton internet troll who gets his jollies by making other people so angry over the internet that they have to type in all caps and end up hitting a lot of shift-1's instead of exclamation points.  I'm trying to amuse myself and if other people are amused, great, if people are annoyed, so be it.  I'm not going out of my way to annoy people but I'm not going out of my way not to, either.

And vgaer, I think you're plenty articulate.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #39 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:52 »

No shit the title is French, the book was French. It's a fantastic story and the music is amazing. Now if music from musicals isn't your thing, fine, then say that's the reason, but wasting time typing up a paragraph about how it's French when the musical itself is in ENGLISH makes no fucking sense.

Yes, I'm well aware that the musical, when seen in America and probably England, Scotland, Austrailia and any other primarily English-speaking country is going to be in English.  Sarcasm must really be dead.  And to be fair, "wasting time typing up a paragraph about how it's French when the musical itself is in ENGLISH makes no fucking sense" to youI, on the other hand, am stuck at work so I am very, very bored and have consumed a large amount of coffee.  My post about the French was more or less just something to do to amuse myself while I wait for the freedom I so desperately want.

Again, I say, I cannot go outside and get some fresh air until I am done here and I'm not done here yet.  I'm not trying to annoy people, I'm not simpleton internet troll who gets his jollies by making other people so angry over the internet that they have to type in all caps and end up hitting a lot of shift-1's instead of exclamation points.  I'm trying to amuse myself and if other people are amused, great, if people are annoyed, so be it.  I'm not going out of my way to annoy people but I'm not going out of my way not to, either.

Points taken. Caffeine + work = do pointless things for fun.

Edit: Though I must point out. You implied you meant your little rant sarcastically. But bear in my mind that sarcasm is difficult to interpret properly online.
And vgaer, I think you're plenty articulate.

:P Thanks. I try.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 18:56 by vgaer »

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #40 on: 05 Mar 2008, 18:59 »

Dear Mr. Hooligan,

I don't think a whole-hearted dismissal of an artform is strong boarding.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that
You better shape up,
'cause I need a man
and my heart is set on you.
You better shape up;
you better understand
to my heart I must be true.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #41 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:01 »

And what is fun and amusing for you is obviously painful to others. For example:

i'm trying to figure out whether it would have been better for you to bitch about how much you hate musicals in the perfectly good musicals thread we already have, or to stink up the forum with an entirely new thread dedicated to talking about how shit they are.

I really can't decide! They're both terrible options!
Why can't we discuss why we dislike musicals in an intellectual manner similar to how I expressed my views?

I especially agree with the last one. If this thread was more like a debate and less "MUSICALS SUCK, FUCK YEAH, EVERYONE WHO LIKES THEM IS WRONG", I would probably have been much more interested in this and would post my thoughts about which musicals are good and why and which musicals are boring and why.

And I didn't call you a troll, notice, just an ass. And a lot of people who visit this forum post from work, but that do we post threads like this? I can't say that we do.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #42 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:01 »

I'm trying to amuse myself

I can't decide which response to go with so pick your own:

1.  Give masturbation a shot.

2.  You're trying way too hard.

rancidhooligan

« Reply #43 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:06 »

Dear Mr. Oxide,

Okay but can it be StrongBading?  And it wasn't whole hearted... I said liked one musical.  Two, if you count Spamalot.

I'm assuming the part of your post in italics is from a musical?  I'm vaguely turned on.

1.  Give masturbation a shot.

Can't, I'm at work.

2.  You're trying way too hard.

Either that or not hard enough.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #44 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:08 »

Anyways, why are we being so argumentative in this thread? after all,

Lord know's we've seen enough troubles already, we've
Had our fill of grey skies
So put down the vinegar, take up the honey jar
You'll catch many more flies
And if we all could spread a little sunshine
All could think before we strike
We all would be a little closer
To the world we'd like
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 19:09 by IronOxide »
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

rancidhooligan

« Reply #45 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:09 »

And what is fun and amusing for you is obviously painful to others.

The great thing about the internet is that they can choose to ignore me if they want.

"MUSICALS SUCK, FUCK YEAH, EVERYONE WHO LIKES THEM IS WRONG"
I never said everyone who likes them is wrong.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  I'm not Maddox for Lemmy's sake.

And I didn't call you a troll, notice, just an ass.

And you were/are spot on, my fine feathered friend.

Anyways, why are we being so argumentative in this thread?

Oxide is correct.  I will take my time and craft a well thought out, intelligent post about why I dislike musicals and any of you who choose to do so may rebut the argument.  It won't be as fun and I won't get to use the colorful adjectives I love so much but I suppose it will have to do since I love QC and plan on being a member of this community for quite some time.  T'would be a shame were I to be ostracized for this crap thread I created.
« Last Edit: 05 Mar 2008, 19:14 by rancidhooligan »

vgaer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #46 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:20 »

Go ahead and write something clever. Then I'll rebut with clever words AND awesome musical quotes.  :evil:

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #47 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:21 »

Actually Hooligan, I was talking about you, you seem to be convinced that you can just whole-heartedly dismiss a genre because you dislike it

you should probably say to yourself sit down, sit down,
You're rockin' the boat!
[Say] to [your]self sit down, sit down, you're rockin' the boat
[or] the devil will drag you under
By the sharp lapel of your checkered coat,
Sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down,
Sit down you're rockin' the boat.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #48 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:22 »

I love QC and plan on being a member of this community for quite some time.  T'would be a shame were I to be ostracized for this crap thread I created.

Maybe you should have lurked more first.

Or maybe you should aplogise and shut the fuck up, Donny.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #49 on: 05 Mar 2008, 19:34 »

Dear IronOxide,
You kind of rock.
Sincerely,
Linds

Rancidhooligan, when typing a well thought out post, you can still use colorful adjectives. You can just use more of them and ones that sound better.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up