THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fusion Foods  (Read 15859 times)

normz

Fusion Foods
« on: 14 Mar 2008, 06:42 »

Ok so i was making cookies for a friend today and she rang just as I added the choc-chips, anyway we were talking away and when I told her I was making choc-chip cookies she complained that she wanted jam drops, so i created a new fusion jam drop choc chip cookie.

This however is not the first fusion food incident.... i have been known to make a scromelette (i was trying to make an omelette but then i flipped it funny so it had to turn into something resembling scrambled eggs or a fusion scromelette really

anyway just wondering if i am alone in this bizarre food fusion or if there is hope and there are others out there like me

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
Re: Fusion Foods
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2008, 07:20 »

Well, in the sense of cooking mistakes that turned out okay, I once put 3 cups of brown sugar into a recipe that called for 2/3 of a cup, and they were the chewiest, gooiest cookies I ever made.

But they were delicious.

SeanBateman

« Reply #2 on: 14 Mar 2008, 09:01 »

If you mean legitimate fusion food, then I tend to hate it. The entire fucking city is full of mediocre chef's who think they were the first one who had the idea to combine thai food with east indian or some shit, and I am really tired of pseudo-fancy eateries that overcharge for food that doesn't taste bad, but is way way lower in quality than in price, if that makes sense.

You however, just seem to be experimenting, and good for you! You never know what you're going to get if you just fuck around and try new things.

blaha 41

• Larger than most fish
    • I write about things like Steak & Wine Pairings
« Reply #3 on: 14 Mar 2008, 09:56 »

If you mean legitimate fusion food, then I tend to hate it. The entire fucking city is full of mediocre chef's who think they were the first one who had the idea to combine thai food with east indian or some shit, and I am really tired of pseudo-fancy eateries that overcharge for food that doesn't taste bad, but is way way lower in quality than in price, if that makes sense.

You however, just seem to be experimenting, and good for you! You never know what you're going to get if you just fuck around and try new things.

What city are you in? That's the norm in nyc for plates between $12 and $25 if you're will to step slightly higher up though, the food becomes amazing.

Last night I did snapper fillets seasoned with orange, fennel, and basil (italian style!) served over spicy thai green beans. it was pretty rocking, but frozen fish sucks. there is no way around it. it makes everything tougher/chewier, which is not what I want in fish. i wonder if frozen chicken/beef/etc. matters as much.
Read a book I wrote a book about steak and wine pairings: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005F79NQK

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2008, 10:36 »

Peanut butter sandwiches with pickles amirite

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2008, 12:07 »

Tortilla wraps cut into small squares with peanut butter inside, sort of parcelled up as a vol au vent. Not a nutritious dinner, however much I tried to kid my brother and dad about it, but quite tasty.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2008, 12:43 »

QFT

i wonder if frozen chicken/beef/etc. matters as much.

It depends on the usage. Chicken, not so much. With beef, if you're going to be serving it as steaks, tournedos, medallions, or a larger cut like chateau-briand, it is better if it has never been frozen. The water in the cells swell and burst them, giving the meat a grainier texture as well as losing some flavor when the ice melts and runs out of the meat. For something like carpaccio, freezing the meat (not rock solid mind you; just enough to make it nice and firm) is a necessity, just to be able to slice it paper thin. Since carpaccio is prepared a la minute and is raw anyway, you don't lose any taste to purge.

As far as just fucking around and coming up with stuff, peanut butter and bacon is where its at. Weight the bacon if possible and get it crispy. Drain most of the fat off, then rough chop it and stir it into the peanut butter.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2008, 13:20 »

Ladies, I give you, the Hamdog:

Hotdog, wrap it in a hamburger patty and deep fry that badboy, then serve it on a hogie roll with chili, cheese, onions, bacon, and a fried egg.

Its like a heart attack in every bite~  :lol:
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #8 on: 14 Mar 2008, 13:24 »

Every night when I was in the fourth grade, I had a cup of hot chocolate, into which I dipped dill pickles.

But I third the comment about fusion restaurants.  The only one I've ever been to was called thaitalian, and though the food was tolerable, it was overpriced and uninteresting.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #9 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:43 »

That sounds positively disgusting. The hot chocolate pickle thing.

peanut butter with soy sauce is amazing. cook some peppers into that stuff, and then bacon...
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #10 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:48 »

Damn you Elizzybeth now I want hot chocolate!

Although I think I'll just put hot chocolate and milk in it.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #11 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:48 »

French Fries and vanilla icecream. Yes yes.

Ok so i was making cookies for a friend today and she rang just as I added the choc-chips, anyway we were talking away and when I told her I was making choc-chip cookies she complained that she wanted jam drops, so i created a new fusion jam drop choc chip cookie.

Man fuck that. If I was making cookies for someone and halfway through they started complaining that they weren't the right ones they can go get fucked. I reckon that's pretty low.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

öde

« Reply #12 on: 14 Mar 2008, 17:43 »

I do this kinda thing all the time now. Couscous in tortillas is nice.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #13 on: 14 Mar 2008, 19:17 »

The worst fusion food I've ever had was at PF Chang's. For awhile they had fucking ham and cheese wontons. God, they were awful. The very thought of them is awful.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #14 on: 14 Mar 2008, 19:31 »

bacon + waffle = Bacowaffle

a real, honest-to-god product of one of my housemates. Actually quite tasty.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Bibliophile

• Emoticontraindication
  • <:3)~~
« Reply #15 on: 14 Mar 2008, 20:25 »

Jimmy - yes! Thank goodness someone else finally understands the ice cream/french fries thing. Also, french fries dipped in milkshake, very similar, very tasty.

I made chocolate cookies the other day. But when you bit into them there was a suprise peanut butter filling! Not a very original flavour mix, but good! Not so good for people with peanut allergies. Always check first.
If television is a babysitter, the internet is a drunk librarian who won't shut up.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2008, 21:18 »

I made a peanut butter and barbecue sauce sandwich not too long ago.  It was not awful.  It was part of my ongoing experiment to prove that barbecue sauce can be good on anything if you do it right. 

One idea this experiment yielded that I actually started making on a regular basis is spicy barbecue popcorn.  I pop a bag of popcorn, then I add about a tablespoon of barbecue sauce and a healthy sprinkling of cayenne pepper and shake it up until it's all coated.  A few pieces get soggy, but the rest become sticky, crunchy, spicy goodness.  It may not be true fusion, but it is a sort of unexpected combination. 

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #17 on: 14 Mar 2008, 22:14 »

French Fries and a Wendy's Frosty. Fuck Yes.

At least that's all cleared up.

I'm not sure if it counts as fusion or not, but last night I had some spaghetti with pasta sauce, and to add something to beef it up a little I threw in some oil marinated mozzarella/basil/sun dried tomatoes and some fried potatoes from Taco Bell that my brother brought home in a big bag, and then zapped it all in a microwave. This is not my proudest culinary moment.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2008, 22:41 »

Bread with spaghetti-O's spread on it, and then folded like a sort of bread/spaghetti-O Taco.

Delicious.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

muteKi

« Reply #19 on: 15 Mar 2008, 00:39 »

The worst fusion food I've ever had was at PF Chang's. For awhile they had fucking ham and cheese wontons. God, they were awful. The very thought of them is awful.

Most of my experiences with them have been good, but I don't exactly frequent any such establishment, so I can't say too much about them.

That dish sounds pretty bad regardless.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: 15 Mar 2008, 08:37 »

peanut butter with soy sauce is amazing.

Isn't that essentially satay?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #21 on: 15 Mar 2008, 10:28 »

Add some sugar and sesame oil and its just peanut sauce.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

littlelove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #22 on: 15 Mar 2008, 10:40 »

potato chips on your burgers, hot dogs, etc.

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #23 on: 15 Mar 2008, 11:00 »

My little sister snacks on peanut butter and chicken salad sandwiches almost every day. I've never had one, since I don't like either, but she's made it for lots of other kids and they like it. She also puts pineapple and marshmallow fluff stuff together on a sandwich. I can't remember what kind of bread she uses, but it's sweeter than most bread.
She's the queen of fusion foods, but for the most part, you shouldn't ask her what she added in extra. The ingredients usually sound so gross together, but are delicious.

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #24 on: 15 Mar 2008, 14:05 »

anyone ever have Chocolate with bacon bits in it?

It wasn't gross, it was just you couldn't really taste the bacon.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

öde

« Reply #25 on: 15 Mar 2008, 14:08 »

I can't remember what kind of bread she uses, but it's sweeter than most bread.

Hard bread? Hard bread is hard and sweet (delicious).

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #26 on: 15 Mar 2008, 15:19 »

My brother had tomato ketchup and chocolate spread pancakes once.

And I once dipped a chip into some dandelion and burdock, but it was nasty.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #27 on: 15 Mar 2008, 17:26 »

Quote from: thegreatbuddha
peanut butter and bacon
Quote from: Unosuke
Hamdog ... bacon
Quote from: StaedlerMars
peanut butter with soy sauce is amazing. cook some peppers into that stuff, and then bacon...
Quote from: Switchblade
bacon + waffle = Bacowaffle
Quote from: Unosuke
anyone ever have Chocolate with bacon bits in it?

I was going to mention my bacon-maple chicken recipe again.  Can we all just agree that Bacon + X = DELICIOUS as long as X is an edible food product?

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #28 on: 15 Mar 2008, 18:02 »

Okay I am going to share with you the finest fast food fusion I've found.

KFC popcorn chikkins and smarties avalanche.

£2.98 and it's your lunch for the day. Me and my LAN buddies wentt for dinner at KFC today (maybe like 3 hours ago) as we do many days but instead of me pete and kenny going for food it was me ben and kenny. Now pete and kenny know how I eat popcorn chicken and ice cream but ben didn't so when he saw me do it he was disgusted at first but as I om nom nomed away he grew curious and asked to try one, I let him and he said "Damn..." and fell silent. Now kenny tried one (after me asking him to try one about 3 separate times beforehand but pete just flat out refused every time also).

Short story shorted kenny stood in line again for an ice cream and back at LAN he dipped all his chickens in the ice cream, saying strips were too salty compared to popcorn chikkins but he kept dipping them because it is good :/

Pete was still disgusted.

But yeah, it's awesome because the spices and sweetness go together so damn well. It's hard to describe but they are just so damn good together.

TL;DR Chicken and ice cream.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #29 on: 15 Mar 2008, 19:38 »

Yeah, that's what it is, hard bread. Thanks.

It's not a fusion food, I guess, but my sister puts chili power, seasoned salt, garlic powder, sage, and thyme all together and uses it on chicken and steak and they taste great.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #30 on: 15 Mar 2008, 20:06 »

I once walked into a friend's house after going to the market to see that his housemate was toasting two eggos and unwrapping a processed cheese single. He then put the cheese between the eggos, and microwaved the works. And ate it. Staring at us with eyes like a hurt puppy dog who knows his master thinks he's done something wrong but he doesn't think it's really that bad, honestly.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #31 on: 15 Mar 2008, 20:31 »

Most of my experiences with them have been good, but I don't exactly frequent any such establishment, so I can't say too much about them.

That dish sounds pretty bad regardless.
You're right, PF Chang's is generally pretty good (but in most cases, not good enough to justify the price) it's just this one seasonal item they had.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #32 on: 15 Mar 2008, 21:40 »

I use sweet chilli sauce in a lot of my cooking including the pasta...mornay/bake thing that I make. Basically it is italian pasta sauce, mayonnaise, tuna, cheese and sweet chilli. Wholegrain mustard if you have it as well. Does that count as fusion?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #33 on: 15 Mar 2008, 22:33 »

Opinion: If someone calls something fusion foods, I will laugh at them. If they call it experimental cooking, I will probably want in their pants.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #34 on: 15 Mar 2008, 23:37 »

To be fair, Slick, there is a legitimate difference in meaning between "fusion" and "experimental".  Experimental is a very general term for any time you try a non-traditional combination of ingredients.  If the experiment is a direct combination of two or more specific traditional types of cuisine though, then it is fusion.  Also, it's not necessarily a rectangles/squares situation, because there are some combinations that are definitely fusion, but that are also tried and true, to the degree that it wouldn't really be fair to call them experimental.

tl;dr I'm calling it fusion so you stay out of my pants.

öde

« Reply #35 on: 16 Mar 2008, 04:47 »

I also dislike the term fusion but only because it sounds like a shitty word lots of pricks use like 'infused with a blend of...'. I don't know why but it pisses me off so much.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #36 on: 16 Mar 2008, 08:00 »

I have a strange theory that almost any food that is delicious can go together without the meal being compromised. I mean, one of my favorite cheap lunches is a burrito and a Hostess fruit pie eaten together. It is The Bomb.
Hate, rain on me

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #37 on: 16 Mar 2008, 08:05 »

Ladies, I give you, the Hamdog:

Hotdog, wrap it in a hamburger patty and deep fry that badboy, then serve it on a hogie roll with chili, cheese, onions, bacon, and a fried egg.

Its like a heart attack in every bite~  :lol:

I'll see your Hamdog and raise a Lutherburger
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #38 on: 16 Mar 2008, 17:53 »

I made a chocolate milkshake with hot paprika in it a few weeks ago. It was predictably delicious.

Noff

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #39 on: 16 Mar 2008, 18:41 »

I slice up green peppers and dip them into peanut butter. 

Also, chocolate covered bacon is amazing.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #40 on: 16 Mar 2008, 20:17 »

Oh yeah, I should mention chocolate and garlic.  I tried them after someone (maybe Slick?) suggested it in one of our previous food threads, and it is a GREAT combination.  Chocolate brownies slathered in garlic butter is the absolute win.

Saiokuo

« Reply #41 on: 16 Mar 2008, 21:29 »

I have a friend who always puts mashed potatoes on his pizza at lunch and another who likes nacho chips slightly crunched up in his sandwiches.
I personally like ranch dressing with stirfry.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #42 on: 17 Mar 2008, 11:45 »

The mashed potatoes + pizza thing sounds pretty good.

Chips + sandwich is always good.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #43 on: 17 Mar 2008, 14:33 »

Today I'll be making beef en croute with a brandied-apricot and cirrano pepper glaze. I guess that counts as fusion, althoughI've been told Aussies love fruit with their meat.

Either way, it will be tasty.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #44 on: 17 Mar 2008, 15:29 »

Not a fusion food, but we, of course, are having corned beef and cabbage, as well as Guinness, today.

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #45 on: 17 Mar 2008, 16:18 »

I've been told Aussies love fruit with their meat.

Who told you this??

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #46 on: 17 Mar 2008, 22:29 »

I'm not sure about all this talk about chips crushed up onto sandwiches, but I do know that french fries on burgers are awesome (and something I haven't done since I was 12 for some reason), so maybe the logic is cold sandwiches use chips instead. Speaking of things I did in childhood, I used to put mustard on my pizza at school and I would make a sandwich using a roll, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy and the chicken fried steak. Its a Chicken fried steak with all of the accoutrements piled onto a delicious mini sandwich, two or three of those is an awesome meal. Also a couple mustard packets, I used to be crazy about the extra mustard as a kid.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #47 on: 18 Mar 2008, 04:02 »

Who told you this??

It's in my Principles of International Cuisine textbook I think. Not true I take it?

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #48 on: 18 Mar 2008, 04:12 »

Meat and tomatoes is a fairly common combination in a lot of places! I don't think it's just an Australian thing.

I personally like fruit with meat. I have apricot chicken, and sweet curry which has banana and fruit chutney in it. It adds a nice sweet contrast to it, but that could just be because I have a ridiculous sweet tooth.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #49 on: 18 Mar 2008, 04:12 »

Oh it's true. But it's a secret.

Harry wants to know your source so that he knows who to assassinate.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up