THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Have we talked about Left 4 Dead yet?  (Read 86640 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Have we talked about Left 4 Dead yet?
« on: 28 Apr 2008, 18:36 »

Interview with Chet from Valve: http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2008/04/28/left4dead-interview-chet-faliszek/1

4-person co-op Zombie Apocalypse FPS from Valve!  Seems like it has potential, even with the bullshit "fast zombies" decision.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Have we talked about Left 4 Dead yet?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2008, 19:03 »

Pretty sure it's been covered somewheres.

And I wouldn't buy an FPS that consisted entirely of regular headcrab zombies. They're manageable enough as it is with one player. Speeding up the zombies is necessary for a more satisfying multiplayer experience.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2008, 19:17 »

I am a ridiculously huge fan of all things zombies, as are many people on this forum.  They just released a slew of screenshots last week, I can't fucking wait.  And don't knock the decision to use fast zombies.  I've seen some footage of this in action, and I'd wager it's scarier and more fun this way.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2008, 19:33 »

I was actually one of the first guys outside of Valve to playtest the game, and it is by far one of the most intense co-op experiences I've ever had. Made of fun and win, friends.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2008, 20:15 »

FUCK YOU FOR HAVING THE JOB I WANT.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2008, 07:17 »

From what I've read, the game is essentially Gears of War with zombies.

That gets no complaints from me.

Also, lest we forget: Examinus will totally rock your face off, too.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Fod

« Reply #6 on: 04 May 2008, 15:00 »

I read an article about it in a magazine somewhere, it was still early days but the game sounds decent enough even if the characters are just copy and pasted from Marvel comics "Most brooding character" wall...

Red Peril

« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2008, 14:39 »

I read an article about it in a magazine somewhere, it was still early days but the game sounds decent enough even if the characters are just copy and pasted from Marvel comics "Most brooding character" wall...

That still makes them deeper than the average computer games character (who often has no body at all, Gordon Freeman is just a head in a floating jar).

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2008, 15:40 »

That still makes them deeper than the average computer games character (who often has no body at all, Gordon Freeman is just a head in a floating jar).

The Free Man Lives!  Heretic!

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2008, 16:03 »

FUCK YOU FOR HAVING THE JOB I WANT.

EA sucks. Only reason I get to playtest is from being in the same anti-team as a VALVe dev.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2008, 16:48 »

Any job that lets me playtest that game is fucking rad.  I'll settle for Civ 5, though.  Hopefully.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2008, 21:02 »

I'm fairly certain L4D will be a massive sleeper hit, like CS was originally. It's unfortunately limited to 4 players (8 if you count master zombies, but those are more like an added bonus than the main role of the game), but I think that will only increase its popularity as client-hosted matches pop up.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 05 May 2008, 22:13 »

It's only four players, but doesn't that mesh much better with the "survivor horror" playstyle?  "Our horde vs. the zombie horde" isn't so much with the horror.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2008, 09:46 »

Come to think of it though, survivor mob vs. zombie horde would be pretty fucking awesome.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2008, 13:49 »

I do agree that the player limit is more fitting with the survival horror theme, but it's still unfortunate that we won't be able to game with all of our buddies at once. GTA IV has spoiled me in that regard.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #15 on: 06 May 2008, 16:31 »

GOD FUCK you just reminded me how much i love that book. i need to re-read that shit pronto.

also, i am ridiculously excited for this game. valve+zombies+online cooperative survivalism= glory. the screens and videos do make it look a little...i dunno..."meh"...but i'm gonna go ahead and give valve the benefit of the doubt and be stoked anyway.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #16 on: 06 May 2008, 17:00 »

Did you see that one from...I can't remember the name of it.  There was a huge convention and there were some crappy camera views of it, but it was still awesome.  It was friggin' sweet.  And the new screenshots showing off the cornfield zombies were also awesome.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #17 on: 14 Sep 2008, 14:34 »

I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #18 on: 15 Sep 2008, 02:15 »

Also, lest we forget: Examinus will totally rock your face off, too.

I wish I had millions of dollars to invest all over this game.
also israel

Nodaisho

« Reply #19 on: 15 Sep 2008, 20:58 »

Oh, how'd I miss this the first time round? I'm looking forward to this game so much, though I wish there were more guns than there will be according to wikipedia.

And yes, survivor horde vs zombie horde would be cool. I don't have that book, though.

edit: And the outlines of allies through walls is a good idea, will reduce friendly fire and help keep people together.
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2008, 21:03 by Nodaisho »
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

justlikeaphoto

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:34 »

Left 4 Dead will be one of the greatest games of this year.  I'll probably end up picking up both the PC and the Xbox 360 version because I want the map editor but I also want in game voice chat.  Using canned responses on PC games has always been something that irritates me, regardless of how easy it is to use or how many different options there are.

November 18th won't come soon enough.

On said note, both WWZ and TZSG are amazing books.  +10 for anyone who reads them.
March from a burning ship to a rained out parade!

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #21 on: 17 Sep 2008, 07:55 »

Keep in mind that most PC users have microphones these days, and that L4D on the PC will fully support in-game voice communication. Considering that this is a game that focuses heavily on cooperation, I'd imagine it'll be an odd sight to see anyone without a mic.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #22 on: 17 Sep 2008, 08:20 »

*raises hand*

I still don't have a mic for my PC.  I keep seeing reasons I need to get one, but I'm fucking broke.

justlikeaphoto

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #23 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:14 »

Of course most PC owners have mics, and obviously the game is built around the idea of copperation, however when I was reading up on the PC version (which has been nearly constant since I first heard of the game well over a year ago) the canned response tidbit was a piece I kept comming across.

My guess is it'll be similar to what they did for say Unreal Tournament 3 on the PC, have VOIP in the game, push to talk (which I also hate) and also have the canned responses.  Granted most seriously gamers that play with a regular group of people us Vent or X-Fire at the very least but I'll put money down that the number of people using microphones on L4D will be far less then the number that aren't.

Edit: On a side note, in my first post it was supposed to read "+ 10 to anyone who has read it" but oddly enough it seems to have changed into something totally different.  Hm.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2008, 11:16 by justlikeaphoto »
March from a burning ship to a rained out parade!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #24 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:46 »

that would be the word filter. not sure why it filters out "plus one" though.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #25 on: 17 Sep 2008, 11:53 »

On more stupider boards people will just post
Quote from: forum yokel
+1
to indicate to others that they have added to their postcount. It's one of those things idiots do, like "first" posts. Haven't seen it around here, though. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum sections.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2008, 11:55 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Nodaisho

« Reply #26 on: 17 Sep 2008, 21:04 »

I had a mic, and used it for a while. Then the headset died, and I got a new computer, and could never figure out how to set up my new one, and never really got around to trying to find out how, and now the headset that I had been using for almost a year (I think) died, and I am using headphones from my .mp3 player until I can afford a new headset. This game in particular, though, seems to need a mic, since you don't want to stop even for a few seconds, even on Planetside I had time to type something quick.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #27 on: 17 Sep 2008, 21:14 »

Of course most PC owners have mics, and obviously the game is built around the idea of copperation, however when I was reading up on the PC version (which has been nearly constant since I first heard of the game well over a year ago) the canned response tidbit was a piece I kept comming across.

My guess is it'll be similar to what they did for say Unreal Tournament 3 on the PC, have VOIP in the game, push to talk (which I also hate) and also have the canned responses.  Granted most seriously gamers that play with a regular group of people us Vent or X-Fire at the very least but I'll put money down that the number of people using microphones on L4D will be far less then the number that aren't.

Edit: On a side note, in my first post it was supposed to read "+ 10 to anyone who has read it" but oddly enough it seems to have changed into something totally different.  Hm.

The system they're talking about for "canned responses" is extremely similar to the one they introduced in Team Fortress 2, which uses game-side stimuli to trigger responses like "Reloading!" or "Medic!!". The same thing is being implemented in L4D, and functions on a much higher level than in TF2. These are not simply "canned responses", and if you ever say as much to a Mr. Eric Smith he'll smite you over the head and start reading C# headers to you at a loud volume.

While I understand that push-to-talk might be irritating, what's worse is some idiot with his microphone on talking to his mother (Xbox), his boyfriend (PS3, sick burn!), or his computer (PC).

In any case, although there might be a lower percentage of people on the PC using microphones, I can almost guarantee that there are more mature, teamwork-oriented people in that percentile than over Xbox Live.

This isn't, of course, trying to instigate a flamewar, because I love my 360 to death. But while we're at it, we may as well have a meaningful conversation about communication over platforms, and in doing so might get you to horde the PC version and come play with us when it ships.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #28 on: 17 Sep 2008, 21:56 »

I think the communication largely depends on who you play with.  If you're playing with someone who's in a clan, they're much more likely to not be a dick.  Or someone who's just older.  Which is generally who I play with, anyway.  I haven't really come across any idiots on Xbox Live since I got my 360.  Except in Halo 3, but typically only if I'm playing with a friend.  I'm wondering if that 'gamer zone' thing actually exerts an influence over who I get matched up with?  Perhaps my friend's is set to Underground/Pro and takes precedence over mine (Recreation)?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #29 on: 18 Sep 2008, 01:13 »

pro tip - when using a PC mic, use the mouse wheel button as the toggle!

And if you don't know, now you know.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #30 on: 18 Sep 2008, 04:17 »

On more stupider boards people will just post
Quote from: forum yokel
+1
to indicate to others that they have added to their postcount. It's one of those things idiots do, like "first" posts. Haven't seen it around here, though. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum sections.

I thought + 1 meant "I agree with this".

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #31 on: 18 Sep 2008, 07:39 »

Actually, no it isn't wrong. Both definitions are correct and commonly used:

A jargon term, used to agree with the parent post and show support. The use stems from moderation tactics of some forums in which points are awarded to posts as a way of rating them. Also used to denote a message board post made for no other reason than to raise the user's post count.

While I don't tend to like citing Wikipedia, I'm pretty sure it's as valid a source as any when it comes to internet terminology.

It all depends on the forums you go to, really.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #32 on: 18 Sep 2008, 10:34 »

Okay, so I am very excited about this game, it seems like its gonna be a great jump out of the dark frenetic gameplay that's actually going to stay scary. But does anyone know how many people its going to support on the same console? I mean, it would absolutely amazing if it supported four people like it should, and its graphics aren't really up to par with a game like Gears of War where they capped it at two people per console just so you could get the detail. I have a 42" plasma and three friends who love co-op and so I four-screen split is a bit of a plus for me here.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #33 on: 18 Sep 2008, 15:50 »

4 is definitely out. 2 is a big maybe.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #34 on: 18 Sep 2008, 19:34 »

I don't think I've heard Valve say a word about split-screen play, but I'd say it's unlikely. Remember that Valve is a PC developer first, and split-screen is a complete non-issue for the PC game. If they added in features to the console versions that aren't in the PC version, it'd be a major departure, since it's taken them this long to just get to the point where the console versions are even in the same league as the PC product.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #35 on: 18 Sep 2008, 20:39 »

I hadn't heard directly from Valve, but I've read that the console versions will have split-screen play.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Harun

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #36 on: 01 Nov 2008, 13:18 »

bump for this

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #37 on: 01 Nov 2008, 18:54 »

Oh. My. Fucking. God.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #38 on: 01 Nov 2008, 19:34 »

Looks fucking awesome.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #39 on: 01 Nov 2008, 19:53 »

Fuck, fucking fuck fucker fucked.*

*  Translation: "Yeah, it does look awesome."  Only with swearing, because "fuck" is apparently necessary.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #40 on: 01 Nov 2008, 19:59 »

Believe it or not, that's how the game actually plays.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #41 on: 01 Nov 2008, 20:15 »

If that's anywhere close to how the game plays I have a feeling I'm going to be failing some classes this year guys.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #42 on: 01 Nov 2008, 20:29 »

Oh jeezus.

CarrionMan

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • The RP Syndicate
« Reply #43 on: 01 Nov 2008, 22:02 »

I think out of all the zombies, the most disturbing is the Witch zombie. I mean, you go, trying to help people, you find this person crying, you go to help them, they tear your head off. Scary.
"I am accusing war. I am accusing man. I am accusing universal stupidity."

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #44 on: 01 Nov 2008, 23:56 »

The object of the game(if you are a survivor) is to run away.I don't think it would make much sense otherwise.

Mein Tumblr

Nodaisho

« Reply #45 on: 02 Nov 2008, 19:31 »

That has one of my new favorite quotes. The shoot or run bit.

Well, not necessarily away. Run to a point where you can get away, yes, but there is going to be a lot of zombies between you and that point, and if you run away from all of those, you will never get there (though I would love to see a pacifist run through scenarios once this is out for a while, I don't think that will happen too soon). What really struck me watching various gameplay videos is how despite having 480 rounds to spare in their uzis, they tended to run really low by the time they got to another safe point. I guess that is what happens when nobody you fight carries ammo. At first I thought that ammo conservation wouldn't be a problem at all, when I saw the scenario start, but I was disabused of that notion. I don't think they are going to make you be extremely careful about ammo, but you won't want to be wasting it (and definitely not shooting at shadows, since they hear the gunshots).

I'm downloading the demo when it comes out, anyone else getting this for PC?

edit: Oh right, forgot the pistols have unlimited ammo. Guess they don't want players helpless. Good idea.
« Last Edit: 02 Nov 2008, 19:38 by Nodaisho »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #46 on: 02 Nov 2008, 19:35 »

I think the game somehow tallies how much ammo you have.  Basically, if you have a lot of ammo, the game hasn't been hard enough and the game throws more mobs at you.  If you don't have much ammo, the game's been too hard and it doesn't hit you with much.  In short, the game dynamically reconfigures the difficulty level based on your performance and maintains a level of difficulty appropriate to the group.

At least, that's the theory.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #47 on: 02 Nov 2008, 20:00 »

I'm sure there will be a "use as little ammo as possible" achievement.

Mein Tumblr

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #48 on: 02 Nov 2008, 22:27 »

Just as much as I hope there will be a "use as much ammo as possible" achievement.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #49 on: 02 Nov 2008, 23:03 »

The achievements for L4D are, to the best of my knowledge, even more insane than those for TF2. Like surviving an entire level without taking damage, ever.

Also, the Director definitely takes into account ammo totals when it's deciding what to throw at you, along with a handful of other variables.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up