THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Space MMORPG  (Read 20866 times)

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
Space MMORPG
« on: 29 Apr 2008, 08:42 »

So i just finished watching all of Firefly and I have this craving to be a space pilot in a dynamic universe. However, I don't have the money to pay a monthly fee to EVE online, so I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out here. I'm looking for something similar to EVE Online, but not quite as steep. I'm willing to pay a one time price, and graphics aren't that important, I just want some space adventure.

I've played EV Nova/Override, and that type of game would do if it had a constantly changing world with other players to interact with.

Any ideas?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

lollipop lasers

Re: Space MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2008, 19:38 »

I'm afraid this won't be very satisfying, but if graphics are really, really unimportant you can play Federation for free.  It's a text-based space trading type of deal.

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2008, 06:03 »

I add nothing to the conversation except to say I wish I knew of something exactly like Eve with better controls... and free.  I would play it night and day.

/Did not like the 2-3 hour tutorial on how to tilt the camera upward.

Fishboy

« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2008, 06:23 »

freelancer is pretty damn good, free too.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2008, 06:47 »

I'll look into Freelancer. So far it looks good (especially that free part).

I played around with Vendetta Online which is pretty much developed by 4 guys somewhere in the midwest (I think). It's not free, but 5 quid a month (10 dollars). But you get the first 8 hours free to see if you like the game. It's not that complicated at all, The universe seems massive, and the scenery is amazing. This might be the first MMORPG that I would pay money for (at least for a months worth of gaming).

Basically the controls are wasd with mouse turning (as long as you're not using physic's mode). And the economy is buy sell, barter with other players, some things are more expensive here than there, etc. Pretty standard.

The only downside is that it doesn't have a very large player base (I think about 1.5 k active accounts in total with about 30 people online at one point). That could be a down or up side.

Graphically it's pretty sweet as well.

website

(plus it runs on mac, linux, and windows)

Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2008, 14:05 »

are they still making a firefly MMO or did that fall apart?

Voxsera

« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2008, 06:42 »

However, I don't have the money to pay a monthly fee to EVE online,
Buying GTCs are win...playing to pay to play.

As for other Space MMORPGs ( Too many damn fantasy ones out there) , haven't come across another that attracted me as much as EVE after E&B fell.

There isn't much news for Star Trek / Stargate - Online too...

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2008, 06:53 »

that's too bad, a firefly game could be pretty fun if done right. In other news, I'm trying to study for an exam in my Civil War history class and get distracted thinking about firefly every time I read the name Jubal Early

Vendetta online looks intriguing, I downloaded it yesterday and might mess around with it a bit over the weekend.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2008, 07:30 »

that's too bad, a firefly game could be pretty fun if done right.

I don't like it when people say things like this because the principal is true for anything. A Magic Schoolbus game could be pretty fun, if done right. Doing things right is the hardest fucking part!

Also, I remember some Korean MMO was put into the free market last year. You'd have to search around for it, I can't remember the name, but everyone was robots.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2008, 10:11 »

A firefly game would be awesome. But it would just be a generic space MMORPG with a firefly setting. They can't really go anywhere with that.

Vendetta online is obviously not very finished though. Apparently they're going to do a massive advertisement campaign over the summer. This is a good thing, because that means that by the time I get back from holidays there might be more players. It's kind of big and empty at the moment.

Buying GTCs are win...playing to pay to play.

I also don't have that amount of dedication or time.

But you're right, there are a bit too many fantasy settings, so many that it's getting kind of boring.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2008, 11:41 »

Maybe it's the two-and-a-bit years of playing that's speaking but EVE's controls are not really that hard. Considering they've recently redone the whole New Player Experience(tm) I don't see why it's so hard a game to get into. Unless you totally hate griefing and people screwing you over for kicks and profit and screwing people over for kicks and profit, then maybe I could see why it'd not be your thing. It's really not that complex if you care to look things up.

Oh and Voxsera: buying gtcs is not really an option right off the bat. Especially without prior knowledge of mechanics and plenty of trained alts.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2008, 12:11 by McTaggart »
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Voxsera

« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2008, 21:04 »

Yea , that's true , you need a bit of time everyday to earn some isk to pay for GTCs - i'm in a Asian TZ - i just log on after dt and do 1-2 of the high sec plexes.Gives me enough isk to fund GTCs.From his post i thought he'll be in game and already making isk.

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2008, 02:56 »

Are the worthwhile static plexes still around? I was under the impression that they were swapped for all that tiresome exploration stuff. Or are they just not on sisi?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Voxsera

« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2008, 11:14 »

They are the low level ones - those old static (esp the serp 3/10s ) are all gone.You've gotta explore.The 1/10 and 2/10 don't give much , but doing 1-2 of those plexes a day - then selling the items , gives me enough isk to fund GTCs.There's a place that still spawns the old static hacking plexes in high sec (through exploration) , i've gotten 6 installation guides from a caldari plex, and 3 stolen formulas from a gallente plex.Just one run - took a while to find , and i can't be assed to do it again.Still living off the isk from those items  :laugh:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #14 on: 03 May 2008, 11:44 »

Man, guys, I've been reading your posts.

what the hell is going on there?

Siert

« Reply #15 on: 03 May 2008, 17:26 »

Alright translated, In EVE you can use ingame currency to buy Gametime. (Something like 180,000,000 ISK for 30 days Game time.)

Freelancer, well back when I used to play it was a one off game, come with a nice singleplayer game and multiplayer options, the multiplayer was basically you could roam the universe with friends on a "Server" which someone had to host for as long as you were playing. The singleplayer is quite bland (Except the massive fleet battles you are involved in) , and the multiplayer does bore you after the first several hours, not ver yrivetting stuff if you want more bang for your buck.

I would probably push you into maybe looking for browser games, they are free and don't take much time to organise, although if you do want something like EVE online, there was one game and if you give me a moment I'll find it for you.

Edit: Here it is, it has politics, ships, planets.. kinda a wide variety, hopefully it can fit some of your needs. http://www.stars-empire.com/
« Last Edit: 03 May 2008, 17:28 by Siert »
For every comic you read, A kitten giggles!

Solo-project ; http://www.myspace.com/Truesolitation (Taking commisions, think about it your own personal song!)

Help me create a city! : http://hamildonia.myminicity.com/

Ozdevil

« Reply #16 on: 01 Jan 2009, 06:32 »

use star sonata. It has a massive range of ships and weapons and is free till lv 20 but you can keep playing and earning money even when you reach the lv block.
www.starsonata.com
seriously this is one of the best free mmorpg space games you could want. all info is on site

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #17 on: 01 Jan 2009, 08:21 »

I'm too hungover to make you feel bad about what you just did, but in the future, if the thread is more than a month or two old please don't bring it back.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jan 2009, 14:11 »

I'm not hungover at all!

FUCKING OLD.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #19 on: 19 Jan 2009, 22:16 »

Hm, Try Ace Online, or if you're on that other side of the planet with the fish and the chips and the tea and the crumpets, Air Rivals.

It's kinda fun, if you're into space dogfighting. And the controls are nice and clean enough to play with a Gamecube controller, per se' (I like the Gamecube controller).
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #20 on: 20 Jan 2009, 12:02 »

that's too bad, a firefly game could be pretty fun if done right.

I don't like it when people say things like this because the principal is true for anything. A Magic Schoolbus game could be pretty fun, if done right. Doing things right is the hardest fucking part!

Also, I remember some Korean MMO was put into the free market last year. You'd have to search around for it, I can't remember the name, but everyone was robots.

Just for my two cents I think a Magic Schoolbus game/possibly mmo is an excellent idea.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.
Pages: [1]   Go Up