THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 04:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Body/Self Image  (Read 51526 times)

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Body/Self Image
« Reply #150 on: 16 May 2008, 12:38 »

I don't mind metric except in reference to length and in cooking. The centimeter is way too fucking small a unit to be measuring people's height in, sorry. And I do not enjoy requiring a scale in my kitchen in order to measure things instead of just leveling it in a damn cup.
Fix those two things, and metric and I would be gravy.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #151 on: 16 May 2008, 12:42 »

Try being a girl. Finding pants that are the right length, size, and fit butt/hips/thighs is not easy. Especially if you're not between 5'5" and 5'8". (I'm 5'10.)

(Ladybug posted before I could.)

Buh, no I'm 5'8 and I still have a hard time. I wear a size 2-4, but I'm taller than your average twiggy 14 year old, however 'long' sizes' are about two inches too long(Because they're meant for girls 5'10ish+)

I think that girls that are about 5'5, 120lbs have the best time. But then again, Jean shopping is stressful for every woman
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #152 on: 16 May 2008, 12:45 »

I don't mind metric except in reference to length and in cooking. The centimeter is way too fucking small a unit to be measuring people's height in, sorry. And I do not enjoy requiring a scale in my kitchen in order to measure things instead of just leveling it in a damn cup.
Fix those two things, and metric and I would be gravy.
But a cup is not very precise! A cup can be many different sizes, and what if you need like..8/10ths of a cup? And as for height, meters work fine as well. 1,61meters instead of 161cm, but both of them are nice, because they're more precise than feet and inches. Plus, people's heights aren't exactly the only thing measured length-wise.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #153 on: 16 May 2008, 12:46 »

Dril, I was all  :-o she must be anorexic until I remembered that in places that aren't the United Kingdom they size in small.

I'm around 5'3 and I'm maybe a bit bustier than most people my height but otherwise fairly average, and I'm a size 10-12.

Aren't cups, in terms of baking anyway, a specific size? And you have to  buy them specially?
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

mooface

« Reply #154 on: 16 May 2008, 13:26 »

You forgot to mention your height. We require this information so that we may judge your physique.

i'm a lot shorter than 5'9".  i make tommy look tall, remember?

manda:  centimeters are a lot easier than inches once you get used to them.  100 centimeters = 1 meter.  easier to calculate than 12 inches = 1 foot.

waterloosunset

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #155 on: 16 May 2008, 13:34 »

im 6'4 and about 13 stone. not as toned as i'd like, and i always find it difficult getting trousers (especially jeans) that fit me well. normally a bit too baggy around the waist in order to accomadate the right length

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #156 on: 16 May 2008, 13:40 »

I guess I just wish there were a commonly used term in the metric system, even if it were decimeters, to refer to something about a foot long. It's probably from growing up thinking in inches/feet, but I think the foot measure is very handy.

About jeans, I am 5'7" and about 135lbs, which leads me on neverending quests for the elusive size five long. If I DO find it, they always fit perfectly, but the chances of a store having any in stock are slim to none.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #157 on: 16 May 2008, 13:43 »

I'm a metric girl but I measure height and weight in feet and stone. Also miles, because that is how it works over here on the Island of the United States of Europe.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #158 on: 16 May 2008, 13:53 »

just wait until the space aliens get here and we have start learning their units of measurment too.

ALIEN: it's easy; there's 5 1/4 glorps to a zzzdok, and 17 zzzdoks makes up a fledspoorg

US: um fuck you.

actually, i wouldn't be surprised if aliens use the metric system too. it makes that much sense.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #159 on: 16 May 2008, 14:00 »

Haven't you read Chocky? Aliens count differently, and don't understand our system at all.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #160 on: 16 May 2008, 14:07 »

i haven't, but it sounds like maybe i should?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #161 on: 16 May 2008, 14:39 »

actually, i wouldn't be surprised if aliens use the metric system too. it makes that much sense.

So, the French are Aliens.

The centimeter is way too fucking small a unit to be measuring people's height in, sorry.

Not only is it small, but it's more accurate :-o

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #162 on: 16 May 2008, 15:10 »

Dril, I was all  :-o she must be anorexic until I remembered that in places that aren't the United Kingdom they size in small.

I'm around 5'3 and I'm maybe a bit bustier than most people my height but otherwise fairly average, and I'm a size 10-12.

Aren't cups, in terms of baking anyway, a specific size? And you have to  buy them specially?

UK size it's about 4-6, but that's generally because like stated, I have a hard time finding clothes that fit, sometimes I need the size below whatever UK size 4 is(evidently the chart I'm looking at doesn't have it, it's 0 here) and other times I would need a UK size 8(which is 6 here)

Fashion/shoes/everyone should seriously put in some regulations on what sizes are what. There's no standard really.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #163 on: 16 May 2008, 15:17 »

I am confused by all sizes and generally just buy the smallest one. Most of the time it works.

Anyway Manda! I was going to dispute your reasons for hating metric. We have: Tuh duh! The Metric Cup! It's not very different at all. I have been cooking for about ten years and only just bought my first set of kitchen scales. What is frustrating is getting recipes from the Internet and realising too late that it was an American recipe and all your carefully measured cups and tablespoons were slightly out. Bah.

Also I am 169cm and buggered if I remember what that is in feet.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #164 on: 16 May 2008, 15:37 »

I'm 178cm, I'd be taller like my dad but my Mum is really really short. Also, my 13 year old brother, odds are the younger two as well are going to end up being taller than me. I actually was smarter than them at those ages, still am according to 2 different heads of department at my school.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #165 on: 16 May 2008, 15:44 »

For all you American types:

169 cm is 66 inches
178 cm is 70 inches

13 stone is 182 lbs

Any others I missed?
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #166 on: 16 May 2008, 17:05 »

Guys, why isn't this thread talking about me at all as a paragon of basically being the perfect male?

Someone feed my ego. Feeeeeed.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #167 on: 16 May 2008, 17:11 »

I guess I just wish there were a commonly used term in the metric system, even if it were decimeters, to refer to something about a foot long. It's probably from growing up thinking in inches/feet, but I think the foot measure is very handy.

Builders sometimes seem to work in units of 300mm (30cm) which they call a "metric foot".  It's like in France and Germany, when buying food they may refer to 500g (1/2 kg) as a "pound" (well, as they're foreign, "pfund" etc).

Not only is it small, but it's more accurate

<pedant>It's not more accurate - it's more precise</pedant>

Paul
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #168 on: 16 May 2008, 17:14 »

Guys, why isn't this thread talking about me at all as a paragon of basically being the perfect male?

Someone feed my ego. Feeeeeed.

Sorry Ozy, you're not.... but this man is!

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #169 on: 16 May 2008, 17:19 »

It all boils down to metres, you see? It makes sense! And the system is not based on the arm length of greasy-slicked-back-haired businessmen trying to lure off an extra foot of rope with long arms, like yours is. One metre is, according to science (we should all believe in science),  1⁄299,792,458 of a light-second. So if you really want to fuck with people, start giving up your height in light-seconds.

Oh sure it's based on the speed of light now.
Before that it was the krypton-86 atom
and before that it was a bar of platinum-iridium
and before that it was just a regular old platinum bar
and before that it was equal to one ten-millionth of the length of the Earth's meridian along a quadrant through Paris, that is the distance from the equator to the north pole
and before THAT it was equal to the length of a pendulum with a half-period of one second

I'll wait until they make up their minds.
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #170 on: 16 May 2008, 19:46 »

On the topic of body image, I think I've always been pretty realistic about how I see myself.
I think most of us care a lot about how other people see us. However, I don't think changing this is the solution to better self image. If people esteem you but you don't, you'll never be satisfied.

I like this thread, but most people who are insecure about their body image have the opportunity to find out that lots of others are in similiar situations and have different approaches to deal with it. That's why I want to contribute to a thread like this!

To be honest, when most people say "self image" they're more preoccupied by how they are perceived by other people. If other people like them/find them attractive, this leads to them believing this. But then the moment you lose that attention, you're prone to feeling shit about yourself.
In my opinion, the only way to really have a realistic {if not fantastic} self image is to know what you look like and care about it for your own sake. To actually care about how you look when you go out. This is pretty damn hard.

I am pretty pre-occupied sometimes about how people perceive me as a person. Not just my body, but my personality/character etc. I think the way I dress is important to be give the right impressions of me and also to draw attention to the right things. I'm pretty calculated in the way I dress/act in some respects. I know I look good in certain colours and clothing types, and I stick to them. I don't dress in certain ways because I know it gives an impression I don't want.

I'm pretty okay with my body mostly because I realised that it's the only one I got. Sometimes the rest of me gets me down, but I try not to indulge in self-pity because I could never be anyone else besides me even if I tried. Don't fuss over what you can't change.

All in all, I have gathered that appearing confident, well-dressed, self-assured, or polite all help in creating a really good impression. These things really help if you know that you don't have a smoking looks.

[hurrr serious post]
[edit: this is the only forum I'd feel comfortable posting seriously because I love you people]
« Last Edit: 16 May 2008, 19:53 by fatty »
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

waterloosunset

« Reply #171 on: 17 May 2008, 06:14 »

bless the uk and the mixing of systems. i think in cm i am about 190ish

1 inch= 2.5cm
1 foot= 30cm
1 yard= 90cm

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #172 on: 17 May 2008, 06:19 »

fatty is right, you have to care more about whether you're happy with yourself than whether other people like you.

I wear weird clothes, I know that, most of them were my mother's or are far too small because I've had them for years. But I know that it's because most of the money that would go on buying me new clothes goes to paying my brother's school fees and letting me go to Germany, so I'm not bothered. Also, I'd rather get an A in my exams than look pretty. There's this girl I know, she's very pretty and spends a lot of time thinking about clothes, but she's dropped out of school and is working in a plastic factory (this was a surprise, we all thought, seriously, that she would end up working on the streets). I'd rather be me than her.

Good clothes and good hairstyles can do wonders. At my college there is a hair and beauty salon, and every single girl (they're all girls) who works/studies there always looks very well groomed. But not one of them is actually naturally beautiful, they just trick you by being smart and stylish.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #173 on: 17 May 2008, 06:53 »

I never understood why people thought you had to choose between looking good and intelligence.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #174 on: 17 May 2008, 07:04 »

I just have to say that fatty´s post is one of the best and most motivational posts I´ve seen in a long time. Your own opinion on the way you look is indeed more important than that of the others. I myself have noticed this from time to time, for instance, when wearing my black jeans and/or sunglasses. I do not know what other people might think about them, but I do know that I think I look fantastic in them, and that really puts me in a good mood.

Of course, there are cases when the opinions of the others might actually exceed that of your own. For instance, I really liked wearing this stetson I had, since it made me look good. However, those around me (not my friends, of course) seemed to think it was ridiculous, so I ceased wearing it. It´s kinda sad, really, and I wish that one day I had good enough a self image to wear it again...

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #175 on: 17 May 2008, 07:10 »

Cool Cory says..

-I like 'em dressed like slutz!
Hate, rain on me

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #176 on: 17 May 2008, 07:14 »

That hat is ridiculous. I think it's cute.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #177 on: 17 May 2008, 08:13 »

You don't have to choose, but it makes more sense to base your self of worth on what you do and what you're capable of doing than what you look like. Also, when I'm a wonderfully successful lawyer I can get someone to tailor my clothes and then they will fit  8-)

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
  • Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
« Reply #178 on: 18 May 2008, 19:36 »

I'm okay with my body. My main problem lies with my weight. My friends assure me I'm thin, and I am in a healthy weight range for my height, but I've always felt fat. The only time I've felt like I was at a normal weight is when I was verging on being too thin for my frame. I struggle with learning to accept my body, and it is getting better but I've still go a ways to go I tend to like my facial features most of all. I'm starting to look like my mother for the first time in my life. We both have incredibly pointy chins.
I have to say, though, that I put more stock into my brain than my body. I don't wear makeup because I can't be bothered to spend the time on it, and I because I tell myself I don't need to be pretty because I'm smart. I know that I could be both, but it's probably just a fear that if I put effort into trying to be pretty and still turn out not that attractive, I've failed. If I don't try, then I'm safe with the uncertainty.
Life is not a constant thing,
It's only made of short stories.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #179 on: 18 May 2008, 20:31 »

being insecure about weight is one of those things that has always interested me because i constantly fluctuate between 140-150lb and i am about 5'1. the bmi index constantly tells me i'm morbidly obese (hurr) yet almost everything i own is a small or extra small and almost everyone who's met me can vouch that i'm a pretty tiny lady. i am just made of muscle or something. i don't really think i could lose weight because even with exercise when i get thinner i also get heavier. i figure as long as i look good naked, whatever.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #180 on: 18 May 2008, 20:32 »

wow, you're dense! :-D

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #181 on: 18 May 2008, 20:44 »

I don't like my weight, but I do like the fact that my doctor told me if I'd had a smaller bone structure, I WOULD look my weight. And, besides, when I wear clothes in the right cut or style, I can make myself look quite nice. I've learned to accept that I'll always be a thicker, curvy lady, but I am trying to bring my weight down a little just so I can stay healthy. Meaning, I'm trying to stop being lazy and exercising. Yay swimming! Still can't breathe underwater more than half a pool length (stupid lungs), but I am getting faster and I can swim an hour without being tired afterwards.

Besides, I like my ass. I don't mind keeping it around for a while.  :wink:
« Last Edit: 18 May 2008, 20:46 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #182 on: 19 May 2008, 00:04 »

BMI scale is pretty much completely worthless. I think what all the health-junkies base on whether or not a person is healthy is by their fat percentage for how much they weigh. Of course, the first way I'm also listed under morbidly obese and the second way I'm probably not much better off.

And anyway, I'm trying to find ways to just give myself a more positive self-image. I tried the "You look good" in the mirror thing, and it sorta kinda worked. Also, comparison. There is always someone worse. I am not fat,

This guy is.

:mrgreen:

This guy is Phat.

I'm sorry about mucking up this page with those sorts of images. And now that I think about it, poor guy, you can't help but wonder what kind of self-image he has. Of course, from the picture it seems like he's tryin' to go in the right direction. Man I'm in a good mood today/night/morning.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #183 on: 20 May 2008, 02:12 »

I have been feeling totally good about myself the last few days guys!  Since I saw the totally hot guy at the Ross Noble show checking me out, I have been feeling pretty awesome!

He was totally hot.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

waterloosunset

« Reply #184 on: 20 May 2008, 02:58 »

as boro_bandito showed, if ever your'e feeling bad about yourself, just remember, there's always someone worse off

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #185 on: 20 May 2008, 07:56 »

I give you the same advice I once gave Darryl: Life is worth living!
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #186 on: 20 May 2008, 14:34 »

Man, if I saw you with those albums, I'd hit on you.
And then steal them while you were all flustered and distracted.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #187 on: 20 May 2008, 17:37 »

I would like to see this situation play out.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #188 on: 20 May 2008, 17:41 »

It just keeps getting better and better.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #189 on: 20 May 2008, 18:51 »

Apologies for interrupting the proposed Fugazi-inspired make out fest, but I wanted to firstly say that Fatty pretty much has it nailed.

It took me an adolescence-worth of parentally-enforced neuroses, a late blooming eating disorder and many flattering photographs later to finally come to terms with the fact that I like who I am right now. Between last year and this year I dropped from UK size 22 to a 14 (I'm 5'11, sorry, no metric...), and the majority of people who saw the transition assumed that I only gained confidence after losing the weight. I had to gently break it to them that actually, whether I was struggling to find clothes to fit or starving myself to distraction, I still felt fucking gorgeous. The main difference was other people's responses, which, as a creature of vanity, I suck up to.

There will always be things which I dislike about myself, but having spent so long cultivating my insecurities and mocking myself for them, I can't care about them enough to get upset - it's like Fatty said - this is how you are, so love it, and I'm now thoroughly versed in good self-presentation and narcissism.

And like Linds, I'm not planning on shifting my ass. I love that thing.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #190 on: 20 May 2008, 19:41 »

Slick, you would probably have to bed me.

Throw in an The Thermals' Fuckin A as well and you've got a deal.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #191 on: 20 May 2008, 22:12 »

My self body image is basically the same as Patrick's posts a few pages back.  I'm really skinny at 142.5 at 5"9, and it doesn't really help that I eat sparsely, walk an average of 4 or 5 miles a day, and have had a speedy gonzalez metabolism since younger years.  I think I could stand to be heavier or at least more visibly muscular.  I do a lot of exercising and try to do 10 - 20 pull-ups/push-ups whenever I can, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.  You can see my ribs, and I got insanely veiny extremeties (LOL DONGS).  I tend to think about my butt too, which is a bit foppish.  Overall I'm pretty okay with my body.  It's not too skinny, it's not too heavy.  I'm supposedly cuddlesome despite bones that jut out from my body, so it's all good.

Now my face, don't even get me STAAHDED.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #192 on: 20 May 2008, 23:50 »

I eat sparsely.
I think I could stand to be heavier or at least more visibly muscular. 
I do a lot of exercising and try to do 10 - 20 pull-ups/push-ups whenever I can, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.

You can do all the weight training you want, but you won't build muscle if your body doesn't get enough nourishment.  Adding some calories to your daily diet will help a lot, especially if you get them from good lean protein sources. 

The most important question is: why do you eat sparsely, and what do you usually eat? 

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #193 on: 21 May 2008, 00:38 »

I eat sparsely because I am poor and picky at once, and I mostly eat grains and meats.  I try to eat the occasional salad for my vitamins and such.  My mother works at a Thai restaurant and gets many meals half-off, which means a lot of spicy beef salads and sushi, so I've got a large source of protein and carbohydrates.  I've also never had the largest of appetites, so it all kind of works against me.  I eat small amounts of food, get full, my metabolism works it off while I walk and before I get home to do push-ups and pull-ups and the like.

Like I said, though, I'm okay with my body, I'm just like many other people.  I've got stuff I'd change, and a lot people think otherwise but I'm all like "NO ARMS MUST BE HUGE"  It's just a thing I do, and if this thread serves as an example, a thing a large majority of  people do as well. 
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2008, 07:19 by WriterofAllWrongs »

Spluff

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • it is time to party
« Reply #194 on: 21 May 2008, 00:58 »

Meat is pretty much the best thing you can get for muscle gain. As an ex skinny guy, I recommend investing in either a gym membership or just a simple set of free weights. There's only so much you can do with body weight, and most of it isn't really the type of thing that will bulk you up.

Compound lifts, such as deadlifts, squats, military press, and bench press are the quickest path to muscle gain - also remember to change around your routine every three weeks or so or your body will get used to whats going on and not make any progress.
[16:27] Ozy:  has joined the room
[16:27] Quietus: porn necklace!
[16:27] Quietus: Shove it up yer vag!
[16:27] Ozy: has left the room

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #195 on: 21 May 2008, 01:20 »

I eat small amounts of food, get full, my metabolism works it off while I walk and before I get home to do push-ups and pull-ups and the like.

If you don't eat enough before and after training, your body gets the energy it needs by breaking down your muscles to energy. Push ups on an empty stomach gives you less muscles.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

mooface

« Reply #196 on: 21 May 2008, 06:36 »

Meat is pretty much the best thing you can get for muscle gain.

oh man! could this be why i literally have no muscles?

so, um, self image.  i am kind of weird because i am pretty vain - i mean, i think i am pretty aware of my flaws.  i know that i am out of shape and i have a big nose and i tend to ramble a lot and i'm pretty awkward and i am really lazy and i gossip too much and... so on.  but i've just accepted and gotten over the things i can't help (big nose) and try and change the things i can help (gossip) - although usually without much success. overall, though, i am pretty happy with myself, and i also tend to think i'm better than most people.  i can't really tell if i think this because people really are as shitty as i think they are, or because i'm simply delusional.

when it comes to how others think of me, though, i have a deep-rooted paranoia that everybody hates me. i have two weapons to combat against this:  1) i'm aware of my paranoia, which helps me believe that it's all in my head and 2) since i think most people are shit anyways, even if they think i'm an asshole it doesn't really affect me because their opinion doesn't really matter much to me anyways (unfortunately, i think the reason i think everyone hates me is probably because, since i dislike so many people, it stands to reason that maybe all those people don't like me either). sometimes it can be a problem though - like when i get convinced that my best friend can't stand me and is just pretending to like me.

so basically:  i really like myself.  but everyone else doesn't like me.  but that's okay because i love myself enough to cover for most of the world.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #197 on: 21 May 2008, 07:38 »

I hate you maiAda!

No wait, I mean I like you!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #198 on: 21 May 2008, 08:48 »

I always feel like I have a lot to say in these threads but never really know where to begin. Plus, I always feel like I will come across as a vain cock because even when I was an underweight, dorky ballet-dancing, marching band nerdy, shortest-in-the-class pre-teen I never had any self-image issues. I mean, I think there are always aspects of yourself you will feel could use improvement; for example, right now I know I have lost a lot of upper body strength over the past year or so and I would like to get it back. But even if I never do, I would not have a problem with it and would be perfectly comfortable with myself. I realise now (for the most part) that it's futile, but I used to wish that people could just drop their insecurities and convince themselves, even for a day, that they were great and absolutely worth everything. I actually don't like to think about this bit much anymore, because it makes me sad.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #199 on: 21 May 2008, 10:42 »

It is sad that having a healthy self esteem makes you feel like you come across as a vain cock.  I think that says a lot for how many people have self esteem issues compared to those who don't.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up