THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 06:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 934711 times)

scarred

• Older than Moses

yessss
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Zingoleb

Okay, will do.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

t in the park tomorrow woooooo don't think i'll see many bands hopefully i'll be working at a bar where i can see a stage, but yeah rad!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

Seeing/helping out with sound at Admiral Radley (Earlimart plus Jason and Aaron formerly of Grandaddy) this Sunday. Will be off hook.

scarred

• Older than Moses

just bought my ticket for friday of the capitol hill block party! mgmt, yeasayer, and holy fuck, here i come! for about $27 including all service charges, so not a bad price at all!

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

polvo august 13th fuck yeahhhhh!
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

MrDorman

• Emoticontraindication

A local park has free concerts every week during the summer. Last week I saw some reggae band and next up is a celtic rock band.

Also, Primus will be here in Sept.

scarred

• Older than Moses

nnnngggghhhhh Starfucker is touring with the Octopus project, they'll be in seattle in october nnnnnnnghghghthgdkgdfghdh

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

Last Thursday I went to see awesome local band Mikelangelo & the Tin Star play a fairwell (for now) show at the Northcote Social Club (one of the best venues in town). Some of you may know of Mikelangelo from his previous band, Mikelangelo & the Black Sea Gentlemen. Mikelangelo & the Tin Star play surf & western music, some of it instrumental and some of it not, and they're one of the few bands around whose only ambition seems to be to have fun and give everyone a good time. Mikelangelo is a natural frontman, a brilliant extrovert:; he has a hilarious "origin myth" song about how he was born from an egg that fell from a tree beneath which his parents were having passionate sex: according to the song his "parents" put the egg in a barn, whereupon it hatched and Mikelangelo was born, "looks like a bull but sings like a nightingale" (which is a pretty accurate description of the man, though I don't know if nightingales come in baritone). In another song, which is typically the band's set closer, Mikelangelo proclaims "action is my middle name", and sets about running through the audience, leaping off bars and shouting in people's faces. It's hilarious and exhilirating all at once - especially when, as on this occasion, he's wearing nothing but a pair of outrageous striped swimming trunks, complete with belt loops (and belt).

The band's touring Europe in the next couple of months, I think, so I'll try to find out some dates and locations and let you all know because if you go see them you'll definitely have a lot of fun.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor

Guys, are the Flaming Lips worth 40 bucks? I'm thinking yes but I'm also unemployed.

Thinking not. I know, swimming against the stream. I just don't get how they got to be such a deal.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Zingoleb

Apparently they're just going to play their newest album in its entirety, which I haven't heard (except for the one song they did on Colbert), so it's a lot easier to pass up for me.

scarred

• Older than Moses

that's probably an ok decision.

if their UFO show is ever in town, though, GODDAMN.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

just bought my ticket for friday of the capitol hill block party! mgmt, yeasayer, and holy fuck, here i come! for about $27 including all service charges, so not a bad price at all!

Police Teeth, the band that released the Greatest Record of 2009 (Real Size Monster Series) is playing the Friday of the Capitol Hill Block Party. They sound sorta like the Thermals meet Hot Snakes (or Wipers meet Superchunk). I fucking Command You to go see them, they are a motherfucking behemoth live (and are also really awesome, nice dudes).

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

oh so i just realized on august 2nd snowing, my heart to joy, and grown ups are coming through dc.

stooooooooooooooooked
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

sean

• welp

DUUUUUUDE YES! o/

i just say today they have a new full length coming out on square of opposition i think, its the same guys who did the snowing 7".

falandrew

• Not quite a lurker

Guys, Broken Social Scene are really good live.

Like I enjoy the albums but they were so much better live it was kind of crazy.

I also sort of half expected the venue to be full of hipsters, but since I 'm pretty sure Hipsters do not exist in Yorkshire it was mostly just full of people who like music.

Besides I think the British equivalent of hipsters read the NME and like the kaiser chiefs. I would probably swap American hipsters for British hipsters.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

nnnngggghhhhh Starfucker is touring with the Octopus project, they'll be in seattle in october nnnnnnnghghghthgdkgdfghdh

oooh that'd be fun

I've never listened to Starfucker (at least not that I can remember) but The Octopus Project was a huge, dripping gateway into electronic/live hybrid music, the type of which has since been perfected by Fnessnej.

Primus is playing in Seattle soon too. Might be taking some acid and going to that, I dunno yet. I'm broke.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

scarred. I am incredibly jealous. They are not coming to the UK.

more people should come to the UK.

(whatever I saw broken social scene for the second time on Saturday, and Eminem, and Jay-Z, and the Black Eyed Peas).

I also saw Muse, and I still think they are overrated, and pretty danged unimpressive.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

scarred

• Older than Moses

I've never listened to Starfucker

and you won't have, until you see them live

it is seriously a completely different experience than listening to their recordings

i see them every time they're in town because they are always so. goddamn. fun. like a mosh pit, but a really happy, vaguely gay one. and electropop.

also half the time the band dresses in drag.

when they came onstage for their encore at neumos, they had one of the guys from champagne champagne and mad rad do a few songs with them. it was SO TITS

scarred

• Older than Moses

i could go on like this for a while

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

http://www.mander-organs.com/discussion/index.php?showtopic=2863&st=0&#entry53506

This will be awesome - shame I'm nowhere near Ripon, and have a committee meeting tonight.  :-(
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

evilbobthebob

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • They're talking about me of course

:cry: I have no way to get to the train station in time to see Converge et al in Manchester. Unless a friend with a car suddenly decides they really like Converge, Kvelertak, Kylesa or Gaza in the next two days (not likely)
http://www.last.fm/user/evilbobthebob <- Look I have no taste!

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

Guys, is Ariel Pink good live? My friend really wants me to go see Haunted Graffiti with him, but I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I really like them enough to pay for a live show.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Gorillaz in a week at the Byblos Festival in Lebanon (if I can find someone to go with me)
Picastro in Toronto on August 13th (if I can book my tickets there in time)
Deerhoof + Danielson on October 1st
Casiotone for the Painfully Alone on October 10th. (This one is for sure. It's his final tour, and I already missed him 3 times. So, fuck everything else, I will go to that goddamn show)

Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Dopamines August 12th
Wilco August 13th
Jeff Tweedy solo August 14th.

What a weekend.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

DarkAvenger

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Ted Leo & the Pharmacists, September 6th. Fuck yes.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Seeing/helping out with sound at Admiral Radley (Earlimart plus Jason and Aaron formerly of Grandaddy) this Sunday. Will be off hook.

Having just snagged an Admiral Radley album from the You Know What thread, I concur and submit my jealousy.

I still need to pay your ass back for Sloan and the related charges involved with that show, that evening was fuckin' legit and I most certainly haven't forgotten.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

scarred

• Older than Moses

the faded paper figures show at the nectar is 21+ :( :( :(

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg

August is my month to be in heaven!
Starting it off with Lollapalooza to see Arcade Fire, The Dodos, Mumford and Sons, Spoon, Grizzly Bear, Phoenix, Etc. for the first time.
Then after a week to clean my pallet, there is Big Time Out featuring Broken Social Scene.
Finally, the local festival (Rifflandia) for Mt.Kimbie and Chad Vangaalen. (More to come too they say) Needless to say, I'm excited.
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Guys! LCD Soundsystem has confirmed extra tour dates in the UK with Hot Chip but I can't find anywhere to buy tickets what do I do!?

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

So yeah, I decided against Ariel Pink today, but tomorrow I'm seeing Nero, Zombie Death Squad and 12th Planet play a free show together. I hope my friends and I get in with enough time for a good spot, but god I don't want to wait like 3 hours before the show starts.  I guess it is free, but dang man. I'm not reading anything long enough to keep me occupied that that whole time.

sean

• welp

hey, guys, so uh,

i'm seeing cap'n jazz on friday.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Modest Mouse, tomorrow night.  Thoroughly excited, since the venue they're playing is great and the last time I saw them I had to leave early because I was getting my wisdom teeth taken out early the next morning.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto

Liars tonight. Hope they're good.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

This show was incredibly sick.  I danced more or less continuously between arriving and leaving.  The DJs threw up a good mix of house, electro, dubstep, disco-y tunes, and grime shit.  I was kind of surprised Nero didn't play more of his biggest tracks, like "Innocence," or his remixes of "Act Like You Know" or "I'm Not Your Toy." I still had a crazy amount of fun, though.

scarred

• Older than Moses

yeasayer, holy fuck, and mgmt tomorrow night, one after the other. so goddamn stoked.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

holy fuck is a pretty good live act but mgmt fuckin' blow
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page

Modest Mouse, tomorrow night.  Thoroughly excited, since the venue they're playing is great and the last time I saw them I had to leave early because I was getting my wisdom teeth taken out early the next morning.

Psh, they were just gonna knock you out for the operation, it's not like you were gonna miss sleep.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor

I saw Converge last night.

HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT!

sean

• welp

i would be jealous about that but its okay cause today is capn jazz day.

i am going to scream like a little girl when they start playing and i am completely okay with this.

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy

Finally going to Tortoise, since I missed them last time they came. Seein' Pavement, LCD Soundsystem and Yeasayer at the Virgin Mobiloe Music Freefest in Maryland (hooray free shows!) Then Swans in early October, fuck yea.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

SWOON! at My Gravitas

• om nom nom nom

Christ, you people go to so many awesome shows this is like the thread I read when I want to feel bad about myself

It has become my new Photo Thread

scarred

• Older than Moses

holy fuck is a pretty good live act but mgmt fuckin' blow

s'ok tickets were $20 :D

sean

• welp

guys capn jazz was the most intense fucking show i have ever been to. like, 5 seconds after they started playing the black cat just went fucking apeshit. like, 6 or 7 songs in they played little leauge and i unfortunately had to pull myself out at that point because i was about to pass out from physical exaustion. they played take on me for their second to last song though and i went back in and shouted into the mic and it was so awesome and basically other than the fact that i was drenched in sweat and felt like i was about to die capn jazz was the best fucking show i have ever been to.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

ahhhh omg that's so cool

i really want to see cap'n jazz dang i should make that shit happen

scarred

• Older than Moses

holy fuck was insane oh my god

and yeah mgmt sucked balls i left halfway through, but holy fuck, holy fuck

Catacombs

Modest Mouse were pretty good, except the sound system kind of blew.  I also don't think the theater could handle that many mic's, it seemed to take them a while to take stage, a little longer between songs, and there was like 15 minutes between the set and encore.  I was a little disapointed they didn't play more off of We Were Dead... though.  They did justice to some of their newer stuff.

Psh, they were just gonna knock you out for the operation, it's not like you were gonna miss sleep.

Exactly what I was thinking!
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties

Wolf Parade tomorrow. I'm a little excited, but I'm also going to bring a book as a fallback strategy if things start to get boring.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

They won't. Wolf Parade put on an awfully fun show.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 58   Go Up