THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 920727 times)

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Had a fucking awesome time at a show yesterday.

It was an early show, probably started at 1:45. It was really last minute so it was hardly promoted, so only three people who weren't in bands showed up, me, my friend, and a dude who just moved here from Germany. So we basically just hung hard for like 3 hours and I saw three awesome bands and I now have a bunch of awesome new friends.

Fuck yeah DIY.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Fishboy

• Balloon animal serial killer

I am quite excited about seeing what I think is Augie March's last show. Every single person in my family has seen them but me, it is ludicrous.

Lexington, 125

• Larger than most fish

Man Man tonight! 
If I am good I could add years to my life, I would rather add some life to my years...

sean

• welp

make sure you do a show report i need to know how they are. they're playing here sunday.

wafflecone

• Emoticontraindication

so i just heard sufjan stevens may be playing pop montreal? anyone know if this is true? may die of happiness?

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh

Yes, it has been confirmed by Pitchfork and Pop Montreal.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

wafflecone

• Emoticontraindication

yesssssssss

sean

• welp

oh well fuck i learned today i can't make it anyway.

bhbhbhbhbhbhb

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

show report from this weekend: okkervil river are so good
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Wavves/Woods/Real Estate tonight.  The prospect of Wavves live intrigues me, and Real Estate and Woods are really fucking good, soooo should be an interesting night.

Cadeonehalf

Oh man Mayhem Fest is this weekend! As long as Manson doesn't play much off the last two albums and I don't get mauled when Slayer go on, should be a fun show!
Quote from: the_pied_piper
You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

show report from last night: future of the left were so awesome you guys. (even though i haven't heard much from them before and only went because i love mclusky and the tickets were cheap) 
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!

I'm hopefully seeing them at Siren Fest on Saturday.

Coincidentally- Siren Fest, fuck yeah! Built To Spill, A Place To Bury Strangers, Future of the Left, and a bunch of other bands.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I'm hopefully seeing them at Siren Fest on Saturday.

Coincidentally- Siren Fest, fuck yeah! Built To Spill, A Place To Bury Strangers, Future of the Left, and a bunch of other bands.

This. I am contemplating going to this. Mainly because I don't have any plans that day. I just hope it isn't too warm. Two years ago it was way too warm and too packed to be any good.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work

Hey so guys do I want to see Akron Family or Sonic Youth on the 31st of Denver?

I like sonic youth better but Akron Family is like 30 dollars cheaper.

JayJayD

• Emoticontraindication

tortoise were doooooooooooooooooope
What was the setlist like?  Mostly Beacons of Ancestorship, or did they play older stuff as well?

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy

Sonic Youth, no question. Get there early, get up front and prepare to be fucking amazed.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

2HourHiatus

• Select pistol, and then select your horse.
    • The Two Hour Hiatus

The Decemberists at the Kool Haus in August.

Eep, nothing about a live rendition of a rock opera can be bad!
Lady, step inside my Hyundai...

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.

It's fucking epic. I saw them when they came by on this tour in Raleigh, you won't be disappointed.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

sean

• welp

Probably seeing Coke Bust in august! yaaaay

Oh fuck yeah dude shit is gonna go down! Coke Bust and Sick Fix are fucking crazy. I saw them both at the Coke Bust record release show. Hardest fucking shit I've ever seen, DC goes nuts for them. Go mosh yr heart out sam.

Ballard

• Older than Moses

Guys I haven't seen any of these bands live and I only listen to a few of them, and know a few more by name. How do I want to do this?

Keep in mind, getting from one stage to another at Siren (let alone getting a good spot) takes an act of God.

Shit either way this Saturday will be awesome.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

I was terribly disappointed when I saw A Place To Bury Strangers open for Shellac.  They were pretty boring.  Thankfully, Shellac is in all likelihood the greatest live band I've ever seen.

Quick folks!  Do I go see David Byrne tomorrow?  Does anyone know how he is live these days?

Touch Me Im Sick

• Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm

The Raveonettes and Japandroids at the same show? Jealous.

theoryC

• Furry furrier

Saw The Antlers last night. I was one of about 15 people in attendance. I thought they were a bit more popular than that, but oh well, made it easy for me to meet the band. It was definitely way better than I could have expected given their sound. My only gripe with set is that they didn't play "Sylvia", but the near 30 minute version of "Bear" more than made up for it. Yup, 30 minutes, and not one of those moments was I close to being bored. Pretty stunning performance.

Ballard

• Older than Moses

fuck guys it is tomorrow and no one has suggested which bands I should see

Touch Me Im Sick

• Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm

Well, I'll just go with what I know. Raveonettes, Japandroids, APTBS, and Future of the Left.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

Japandroids, Future of the Left, Monotonix, Built to Spill.

Seriously, APTBS are terrible live.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh

If you can only do one stage, fuck everybody else and see Future of the Left. Maybe make your way over to the other one in the the hour span before Built to Spill.

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

yeah dude, you have to see future of the left for sure.
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

I've heard Frightened Rabbit are incredible live, to be fair, but fuck man Future of the Left.

Kyros

While I am incredibly jealous of people I know going to Siren, I get to see fucking Wilco in basically my backyard tonight, which is crazy considering I live in a random NYS Suburb.  Just what Wilco's doing playing a stadium where my local minor league baseball team plays, I'm not sure.  All I know is I'm going, and it will be awesome.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

Oh fuck yes Om is going to be in Montreal.

And Mono and Faust will play PopMontreal.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

While I am incredibly jealous of people I know going to Siren, I get to see fucking Wilco in basically my backyard tonight, which is crazy considering I live in a random NYS Suburb.  Just what Wilco's doing playing a stadium where my local minor league baseball team plays, I'm not sure.  All I know is I'm going, and it will be awesome.

Gah how was this?!  I really wanted to go, since its not that far of a drive for me (at all) but then I saw the $45 ticket price.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Kyros

Oh man, it was freaking amazing.  Weather was beautiful and the setlist was amazing.  My friend's girlfriend actually snagged one of them after the show.  I ended up paying 25$ for a show poster because I crack up every time I look at it "WILCO: Live at Dutchess Stadium" hahah

Cadeonehalf

Festival Report:
Mayhem Fest was pretty fucking amazing, but I would've had Cannibal Corpse headline over Bullet for my Valentine, and Slayer probably should've followed Manson since half the audience left after their set and Manson basically played to an empty ampitheatre.
Still, I was happy he played some of his old stuff and not just the new crap.

ALSO: Killswitch Engage is pretty hilarious live. Like really. I think their guitarist had aviator goggles, a cape and cut off skinny jeans. YEAH.
Quote from: the_pied_piper
You are a hippie white guy with a huge afro. You have musical taste when it suits you but generally decide to ignore it and end up listening to mostly jarring noise.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker

FRED WESLEY IS PLAYING IN SYDNEY.

(Fred Wesley was the band leader for the JBs and also played with Bootsy and George Clinton and oh man funk)
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2009, 21:03 by ViolentDove »
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute

If by "excited about" you mean "expecting it to be an awesome show but I really wish it wasn't happening", then I guess Martin Martini & the Bonepalace Orchestra's Funeral Show at the Corner here in Melbourne on the 14th of August fits the bill. One of my favourite local bands, they always put on an awesome show and they're breaking up! Boo!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Ted Leo tomorrow! Woohoo!
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor

Yo La Tengo is playing Pop Montreal!

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate

Last minute thing, but I went to a Briggs concert and it ripped my face off. It wasn't that crowded and the people that were there were fun as hell.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

If by "excited about" you mean "expecting it to be an awesome show but I really wish it wasn't happening"

that's not what we mean at all. Jeez Harry why you gotta ruin everything huh.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

sean

• welp

show thread been a while.

first im pretty psyched for August 3rd. Mogwai is coming to DC! I've never seen them and it's been a while since i've seen a post rock band so I'm pretty stoaked! Then august 7th I get to see Age Sixteen again! I'm really fucking excited for that, they put on an absurd show. A band called Hightide Hotel is playing too and they sound kinda like American Football so that should be a good set too! Then what I'm really really really excited for is August 29th or something because I'm going to see Pianos Become the Teeth, Wren Lloyd, Age Sixteen, Sawhorse, and mnwa (but its spelled in russian and pronounced mischa burton or something.) That is quite possibly the most stacked lineup I've ever seen for a DIY house show and it's going to be absolutely incredible.

August is looking pretty fucking good for shows!

valley_parade

• coprophage

Last minute thing, but I went to a Briggs concert and it ripped my face off. It wasn't that crowded and the people that were there were fun as hell.

The Briggs are fucking sick!

Oh yeah, so uh, Warped Tour. Here's my report, in brief:

Shad - AWESOME. Holy shit.
Bad Religion - getting very old, as is the crowd
Nofx - Drunk and amazing
Big D & The Kids Table - better than the last time I saw them. Much better.
Anti-Flag - the worst live show I've ever experienced, and I accidentally caught the tail end of 3Oh!3's set.
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2009, 08:20 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Saw the Hold Steady last night at the Starland Ballroom in Jersey.  They were pretty good, played a lot of stuff of Separation Sunday, including "Don't Let Me Explode", which I would not have guessed them playing and it was great.  I thought the PA system was a little weak though.  Their shows in NYC last month I think were a little better, since the Bowery Ballroom has a better PA and is smaller.  Still a great show though. A band called Titus Andronicus opened up, who are from a town pretty close to mine.  They were cool, though I felt all their songs were a little too long for their own good.  Also, at one point the singer started rambling about two local radio stations, and never really got to a point.  He probably should have just shut up.  I bought their CD, though I haven't given it a rightful listen yet.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Teenage Bottlerocket and the Cobra Skulls in October? Maybe. If I have money left from Dinosaur Jr.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!

Hey Pinback fans: Are Three Mile Pilot and Optiganally Yours any good? They're playing my town tonight but I'm low on dough and don't want to pay ten buxx, plus there's a much cheaper house show tonight as well.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Go! Three Mile Pilot are brilliant and this tour is their first in ages and ages. Take advantage of the opportunity!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface

Doug Martsch and Frank Black are playing a show at my favorite bar tomorrow night.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

dan deacon is playing a round robin show with deerhunter and no age tomorrow.

excitement.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Man fuck that shit. It was moved because of the rain, into an inside venue, with a max capacity of 500 people. It didn't rain that day from three o'clock onwards. The line was actually around the block.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 58   Go Up