THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: You people go to shows, right? What future shows are you excited about?  (Read 920607 times)

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

Man fuck that shit. It was moved because of the rain, into an inside venue, with a max capacity of 500 people. It didn't rain that day from three o'clock onwards. The line was actually around the block.

I was in this very line, and the show didn't even start until like midnight.  I ended up having to get home way before that but according to some friends it was worth it.

On the plus side Vivian Girls at the Whitney on Friday was kickass.  Met the band and got them to sign my CD! They were all very sweet.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com

i'm currently trying to figure out if i can afford a trip to birmingham for a few days in september which will involve meeting with some mates i haven't seen in a while, a massive CD shopping spree (well, a trip to tempest records and a coupla hours trying to figure out which coupla cds i wanna get with my limited funds...), and most importantly, two awesome gigs - Paint It Black/Ceremony (not heard much by either, but i've been promised it'll be awesome...) and The Wildhearts (fucking BEST BAND FUCKING EVER!!!).

should be cool if i can get the monies together in time...

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down

Yeo and the Fresn Goods
The Kidney Thieves
Nucleus

Basically three bands I could probably never get tired of seeing, all in the same place on Friday night, shit yeah.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

I was in this very line, and the show didn't even start until like midnight.  I ended up having to get home way before that but according to some friends it was worth it.

I heard that they played two shows so that more people could see them? That's pretty good of them I guess. Still bummed out though.

It's making me really skeptical about Girl Talk on the 23rd.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

saw mogwai tonight.

fuckin blew my shit. played ithica and encored with my father my king

thats all i really gotta say.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

allison

• i really want a mustache

Got an email from Ticketmaster! Clutch tickets are on their way  :-D So very excited. The countdown begins!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

Avec

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Pomegranate

Pirouette, The Witches, and Landlord the 11th!!! SO FUCKING STOKED!!!!!!!!!!

johnny5

• FIGHT YOU
  • pug pug pug

pixies - los angeles

well, i'm hoping anyway

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

Yo La Tengo on September 15th!  Wooooooo

The Duke

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Flea was a classy kid.

Aerosmith and ZZ Top was supposed to be tomorrow night, but was postponed because Steven Tyler broke his shoulder in Sturgis!  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
You know, they tell you, "Never hit a man with a closed fist," but it is, on occasion, hilarious.

Professor Snuggles

• Only pretending to work

Avette Brothers, August 22nd.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

So, the mountain goats are playing a show in London. I might make a little trip. Anyone in London willing to let me and some friends crash?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

might be going to see underworld august 11th.
also, clutch september 16th!
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

Kyros

Two more August shows: Thurston Moore on the 16th, and Grizzly Bear on the 30th!

The Hold Steady, Deer Tick, The Felice Brothers and The Rural Alberta Advantage in Ithaca in September! The Mountain Goats a week and a half later also in Ithaca!

Should be good times.

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch

So Japandroids, 3 Inches of Blood, and Dinosaur Jr are coming to my town in the next couple of months, Japandroids and 3 Inches in September and Dinosaur Jr in November.  It's been forever since I've been to a live concert and the only ones I've been too have been pretty huge (White Stripes, Beastie Boys, *cough* Linkin Park *cough*).  Are these guys worth seeing live and what should I know to go to a concert in a small venue.  Or would that be something that deserves it's own thread?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

As far as small venues go, I've always felt that I've gotten far more rewarding experiences with them then some giant musical hall or stadium. I personally think it's a lot easier to connect with the music and the performers and, in many cases, the people around you when everyone's jammed into some little space. That's just me though. Of course, it's hard to give advice since people have different tastes but I recommend getting there a bit early and, when doors open, quickly making your way front and center, right up to the stage (touching it if possible, although it has to be quite a small venue for this to be possible usually), and staking out that spot. That's where I like being the most for shows. The good thing about doing that: if it turns out you'd rather be further back, it's much easier to move back then it is to move forward if you're in the middle of the crowd and realize you'd rather be closer.
As for the specific shows: Japandroids played in a garage at my school. It was a lot of fun. I recommend that show. Never seen the other two so I can't comment although I'm sure people here will tell you to go see Dinosaur Jr.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

allison

• i really want a mustache

I'm going to this too!

o/
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

what do you mean "you people?!" :roll:
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Durb Durb Durb

• Plantmonster

I might go see Gwar this Autumn.

sean

• welp

How'd you like Six Fix?

20 jazz funk greats

• The Tickler
  • ~*~*~*~*~
    • tumblrs are cool right

I'm going to this too!

o/

/o

neat. if you know what i look like, and aren't awkward around new people feel free to say hi!
Quote from: KvP
When our powers combine we are awkward internet
Quote from: Jace
All Canadians are two to four Welsh Corgis in a human suit.
http://nowaver.tumblr.com
http://twitter.com/witchykeen

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout

So uh, I went to a show today and saw some bands.  Basically, what I am trying to say is y'all motherfucks should listen to these bands:

Document
In Memory Of Pluto
Maneuvers

Clintaga

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • <("<) (>")> <("<)

I just found out that Brand new is playing Philly November 15th and then the next day, Bassnectar is playing. it's gonna be the best weekend ever.
Life goes by pretty quickly, and if you don't stop every once in a while and do whatever you want all of the time, you could miss it.

Akeboshi

• Plantmonster

Just saw Elbow last night on the last show of their American tour.

Blew. My. Mind.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

encored with my father my king.

ffffffffffffuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Sythe

• ><DICK>

Through the Eyes of the Dead is playing Hartford tomorrow. Opener sucks, but it should be a brutal show.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

penfolder

• Not quite a lurker
  • Crumbs

After a long wait (partly down to band sickness) The Decemberists are coming back to the UK!   :lol:

My ticket's for one of the London shows arrived yesterday and although it's not until November I'm pretty excited about seeing them again.

I'm usually a little dubious about seeing bands play a whole album through but Hazards of Love is one of those records that has to be enjoyed in it's entirity!

If anyone has seen them recently playing the whole album live I'd love to hear how it sounded played through!
Likes the warm feeling but is tired of all the dehydration

Commodore

• Plantmonster

If anyone has seen them recently playing the whole album live I'd love to hear how it sounded played through!

This.  They are coming to Norfolk VA in late September.  My friends and I are thinking of cosplaying the concert as characters in Decemberists songs.

A Shoggoth on the Roof

• Furry furrier

I am going to try really hard to go and see dinosaur jr. at central park this sunday but that all depends on how my ex-wisdom teeth feel and how much vicodin is in me. also it's sort of a long drive.

MagicalTophat

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I'm looking forward to Modest Mouse at the Crystal Ballroom, and HOPEFULLY Arctic Monkeys.  Both fo' free!
I also might see Dethklok and Mastodon, but I dont really want to pay the $35...

----------------
Listening to: Johnny Cash - Hurt
via FoxyTunes

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

Blink 182 tonight *ducks from objects being thrown at me* in Pittsburgh.  Road trip with an old friend to go.  We always wanted to see them in concert back in high school.  Our parents were a bit over protective of letting us go to a concert at all. So now that they are together we can finally say say we did.  Say what you want about blink 182 or my taste in them but they are what got me into playing music.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

scarred

• Older than Moses

Tuesdays are one of my only nights off.

The following bands are playing shows on Tuesday nights in the next month:

...and you will know us by the trail of dead
the pains of being pure at heart
the octopus project
cocorosie

The following bands are playing all-ages shows on Tuesday nights in the next month:

Cocorosie

GOD DAMMIT
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

valley_parade

• coprophage

Blink 182 tonight *ducks from objects being thrown at me* in Pittsburgh.  Road trip with an old friend to go.  We always wanted to see them in concert back in high school.  Our parents were a bit over protective of letting us go to a concert at all. So now that they are together we can finally say say we did.  Say what you want about blink 182 or my taste in them but they are what got me into playing music.

Seeing Blink 182 with Weezer at the end of the month. Pretty excited, though I heard a few of Weezer's new tracks and they SUCK. =(

Other shows I'm going to:
Streetlight Manifesto

A Day To Remember

one of the three: Dinosaur Jr., The Gaslight Anthem, or Teenage Bottlerocket/Cobra Skulls

Possibly Dropkick Murphys up in Vermont (late November)

and my friend/ex said she's dragging me to see All Time Low in Decemeber, because I badmouthed them at Warped Tour.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Koremora

• The German Chancellory building
  • Oh, hey.

Holy shit The Books were fucking stupendous. One of the greatest concerts I have ever been to. It was beautiful, moving, smartly funny, sad, and uplifting all at the same time. FUCK. They just jumped SO high on my list of artists to love. I really liked them before this, but now I am just in awe. The live experience just brings out so much meaning and emotion in the songs. Got to meet them after the show and have them sign my poster as well, both are very nice guys. They actually seemed embarrassed at how much the crowd was cheering in-between songs.

Also, to whoever was asking how they pull it off live, Nick Zammuto plays guitar and bass alternatively, and Paul de Jong plays electric cello. They have a sampler that constructs the framework for them to play around, and a large projector screen above them to play awesome/funny/sad/strange movies that are synced up to the songs. It was absolutely incredible and I HIGHLY recommend that you go see them if you get the chance, even if you just like their music a little.
Third time's the charm, like a dog it's breathing.

DarkAvenger

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Going to see The Gaslight Anthem with Frank Turner and two bands I don't listen to (Murder by Death and The Loved Ones) next month, and possibly Dinosaur Jr. in November

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Blink 182 tonight *ducks from objects being thrown at me* in Pittsburgh.  Road trip with an old friend to go.  We always wanted to see them in concert back in high school.

This seems to be everyones excuse for going to see them.  It's valid though, if I was going to be home when they're playing near me and had more money to blow I probably would  go see them too.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite

Saw Dino Jr. + Walkmen last night.

It was fucking rad.

It was also really fucking warm.

Next Sunday: Girl Talk

MrDorman

• Emoticontraindication

Just purchased a ticket to see Portugal. the Man on 9/18. $10 is the cheapest I've ever seen a ticket go for o_O

scarred

• Older than Moses

...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead is playing at Neumo's next month. Future of the Left is opening.

AND IT'S 21+

AAAARRRRRRRRGGHHHH

Bastardous Bassist

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • brinkman propane smoker

Tower of Power used to play a lot around where I grew up, but it was always 21+, so I finally got to see them first time this year (24 now).
Who?  Me?  Couldn't be.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

Soon I will be seeing:

The Weakerthans
Do Make Say Think
Tim Hecker w/ Grouper

yay!
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

sean

• welp

oh tits i just checked the DMST tour dates and they're in DC on the first. thats kind of close to exams though so i dont know if ill make that shit bhhhhhhhhhhh

also i might see we were skeletons again along with мища (mischa burton) along with some other bands sunday. dunno if pats gonna fee like driving though.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2009, 19:24 by Objects inside Clouds »

scarred

• Older than Moses

Got my ticket for Saturday of Bumbershoot.

Acts I'm actually want to see:
Natalie Portman's Shaved Head, Matt & Kim, and Old 97's.

Acts I might check out:
The Not Its!, Hotels, The Long Winters

Nodaisho

I'm seeing Down, Melvins, Weedeater, and Danava tomorrow in Denver. It will be awesome, and I need to find some earplugs so I don't give myself tinnitus getting too close to the speakers.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Commodore

• Plantmonster

Stardeath and the White Dwarves.

Explosions in the Sky.

The Flaming Lips.

Me.

What do these things have in common?  We will all be at the Merriweather Post Pavilion come Friday.

I AM STOKED BEYOND REASON

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome

Trash Talk tomorrow. Yes.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Touch Me Im Sick

• Street walkin' cheetah with a heart full of napalm

Daniel Johnston, September 8th.  :-o better be all ages.

sean

• welp

oh yeah i did wind up seeing we were skeletons this past sunday. they were thrashy and loud and without a pa, just like the last time i saw them. however there were more people which i think made it a better set for some reason. more energy in the room? however it was such a tiny space that there was nomoshin:c

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome

I have just had a listen to them, they are dead good. If they ever come to the UK I would let them stay at mine & make them breakfast. That's how much I like it.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Ananas comosus

• Not quite a lurker

http://www.roadburn.com/

Tom Warrior is the curator and candlemass will play Epicus doomicus metalicus completely, with Johan Längquist singing. holy shit, I just might go this year.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 58   Go Up