THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Article on "Fat Faye"  (Read 78782 times)

alib

• Not quite a lurker
Article on "Fat Faye"
« on: 24 Jun 2008, 10:44 »

I'm now coming out of the woodwork to share an article I read today on Faye.  It's from one year ago so I hope it hasn't already been posted.  I found it interesting because I can see where the author is coming from but at the same time it's quite ridiculous.  Maybe it's because I have a similar shape to Faye and actually kinda look like one of the Faye transitions.  Same hair, glasses, and double ear piercing, same in-your-face-but-don't-hurt-me attitude...Well, I don't have the claim to bustiness that Faye has.  Anyhoo, just wondering what other people think of the article.  Also, QC is probably my favorite comic. 

http://fatlyyours.blogspot.com/2007/02/fat-female-characters-part-i-faye.html
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2008, 16:07 by alib »

snoppyjanoppy

Re: Article on "Fat Faye"
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2008, 12:42 »

Jacques further ponders: "I often wonder if low self-esteem is a result of outside stimuli or if people find things to feel bad about because they're looking for something to fixate on. Probably both I guess." I suppose it is both. However, I wonder why he felt the need to draw a number of skinny female characters, then draw one woman a bit heavier and give her a negative body image. If Faye were truly sassy, it would be awesome. She would probably feel good about her weight. She would shrug off any comments about it and wouldn't be depressed by her growing pants size. She would realize it's unrealistic to try to be like Dora. I would love to see a character like that.

while i do dig the premise of the analysis, i can't honestly agree with her because she pushes all of these good "sassy" qualities off onto a ficticious character and doesn't relate it back to virtues that real people can use. yea, sometimes faye feels bad about her weight. is she morbidly obese? no.

if Deniselle wants to feel "relaxed in her body" like she states on her blog than why would she get worked up over a comic? getting angry over http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=498 just shows insecurity. how can you seriously get angry over remarks made by turkeys?

FiskFisk33

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2008, 13:14 »

I really think its over the top to write such an article on a comic in the first place...
and the examples in the second last part of the article is a bit off too, because, after those two comes http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=354
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2008, 13:43 by FiskFisk33 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2008, 13:38 »

I see no need to place the interpretation which that article does on the size of Faye in QC.  It's just someone's insecurities showing...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

loam

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2008, 13:47 »

Eating a healthy diet and getting some exercise would be a lot simpler and more direct way for her to feel relaxed in her body than trying to campaign for everyone else in the world to accomidate her insecurities. Plus it would be more fun.. and if she picked up biking to work instead of driving, better for the environment, cheaper, and fight road congestion!

No, I don't think everyone should be rail thin. I'm not rail thin. Sure it's silly to be obsessed with being rail thin. About as silly as it is to get upset about a comic character's physique.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2008, 14:06 »

man, that girl spent waaaaay too much time putting that together.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

alib

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2008, 14:17 »

I see no need to place the interpretation which that article does on the size of Faye in QC.  It's just someone's insecurities showing...

Well, this is that woman's blog and she can interpret anything she wants to.  But I also agree that she is showing off some of her insecurities with the entry.  The jokes are funny and Faye can sure hold her own.  For me it's more of a "why would they think she's fat?" instead of a "Oh my hell, I'm so insulted." 

I guess I posted this link because I found it rather curious that this woman would have this kind of in depth analysis of the comic.  And yeah, she did have way too much time putting that together.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2008, 14:25 »

I'm now reading the rest of this lady's rants.
Right now I'm on one where she talks about how "moderation" is another way of saying "deprivation".

I'm going to feel bad about this later, probably.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

alib

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2008, 14:29 »

I'm now reading the rest of this lady's rants.
Right now I'm on one where she talks about how "moderation" is another way of saying "deprivation".

I'm going to feel bad about this later, probably.

I didn't bother reading her other stuff, maybe I should.  I could use a good giggle every now and then. 

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2008, 14:39 »

The thing that gets overlooked literally EVERY TIME some girl gets upset about Faye's body-image issues or the way I portray her is that SHE IS THE BIGGEST LOVE INTEREST IN THE COMIC. Marten spent what, FIVE HUNDRED STRIPS lusting after her? She had absolutely no trouble hooking up with Sven, whom I have clearly written to have unrealistic, ridiculous standards for ladies? Angus is possibly OBSESSED with her? Hell even Dora has made it clear that, were Faye to swing that way, she would happily make out.

Faye may be uncomfortable with her body but the one thing I definitely do not portray her as is unattractive or undesirable.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2008, 14:41 »

In closing, I am a sexist pig and women need to get back in the kitchen where they belong.

Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

alib

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2008, 16:02 »

Jeph, I hope you don't think I'm calling you sexist because in no way was I.  I just put it up as a funny thing for people to read.  I think if you spoke to most girls they would find Faye downright awesome and the heckling she gets is hilarious because she can dish it back out.  I love that you made her character the way she is.  If I were a comic character I think I'd find it pretty awesome to be her because she is quite a woman.   :-)  And don't let this lady get to you.  You've got talent with thousands of readers and it took a whole year for someone to aknowledge her blog.  I really put it up to laugh that there are women out there that rant and rave about things like this.  In no way would a rational person find how you have made Faye sexist.  I'm sorry I put this up since it upset you. 
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2008, 16:04 by alib »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2008, 17:20 »

Oh, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm just greatly amused by the utter fallacy of the argument.

MissAmbiguity

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2008, 17:33 »

Hmm... I don't think taking the time to flesh out characters and speculate on what things could mean is a waste of time, though I am an English major :P

I think mostly, Faye being surrounded by skinny people is a circumstantial thing. My sister's one friend is about average, not even chubby but all her friends are these really skinny asian girls so she's more self-conscious even though she's beautiful and sweet. I'm not even making allowances for her, she gets hit on like crazy at the bars. Jeph does draw other girls with similar figures. There was that one blonde waitress Faye insulted when she was drinking with Sven. Ellen and Amanda don't seem all that skinny either.

If anything, I think Jeph is poking fun at obsessive female insecurities. He got it exactly right with Raven being self-conscious about the stretch marks on her breasts and then later realizing that boys don't care about that when they're getting some.

Who doesn't worry about their weight? I'm 5"3 and I weight about 113lbs and I'm okay with that. I do weights and run but... that doesn't mean I don't feel fat sometimes. If anything, I think it's her neurosis. Hannelore feels pale and sickly. Dora has jealous issues. Raven isn't the brightest crayon in the box. Sven is a man whore and Marten doesn't seem to have a back bone.

Oooh and to go along with the sexist thing... is it just me or does Jeph have a thing for really strong females? Faye and Dora being obvious examples... but Veronica Vance anybody?

« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2008, 16:24 by MissAmbiguity »

mymms

« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2008, 17:53 »

If the blogger really was happy with her size I doubt she'd be making such a huge deal of it...

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2008, 18:43 »

I've skimmed over a couple of that person's articles and they're by no means subjective. Like anyone else who's essentially commenting on how their kind are portrayed, no matter what the trait in question is, they interpret things differently than the creator intended to emphasize their case. She's definitely reading into it more than necessary, ignoring the positive aspects of the character, and biased.

Yes, you may be larger than most people, but it's something you have to live with. You can't take everything complete strangers on the internet create as personal insults.

And that blog's even more analytical of the comic than most WCT threads. (That doesn't happen often.)

kaetaa

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2008, 20:13 »

lol its obvious alib wrote that and just wanted to plug her shit.

its ridiculous.

Oh, and I always knew Jeph was a sexist. I quote from a 2004 Comic thread:

"oh btw, I'm a sexist"

Excelleennnttt.

snoppyjanoppy

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jun 2008, 23:17 »

it's a shame that she has comment moderation on her website.  :-(

she still saw my comment "fat children don't deserve paternal love", probably.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2008, 05:31 »

Bitchs need to stay skinny
Hate, rain on me

alib

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2008, 07:38 »

lol its obvious alib wrote that and just wanted to plug her shit.

its ridiculous.

Oh, and I always knew Jeph was a sexist. I quote from a 2004 Comic thread:

"oh btw, I'm a sexist"

Excelleennnttt.

Lol.  Completely obvious I wrote that.  :roll:  Don't you just love my blog picture? 

And Jeph, I'm relieved this didn't bother you.  I was driving home with one of my friends last night and I told him I felt so bad that I may have upset you by posting this thing on the forums.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:37 »

Jeph, I don't think you are a sexist at all. I mean, I'm really into feminism, and I have never thought you were sexist.

But I can see where this girl is coming from. Being fat myself, I always thought it was pretty funny that Faye was considered fat. She looks barely any different than the other girls, yet she is the fat one. I mean, I can see that she is a little chubby, but I would never call her fat.

I never thought it was a problem though. I mean, it's a comic! There are fucking anthropomorphic computers in it!
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:45 »

From the other characters perspective Faye is fat. She isn't like morbidly obese. There is nothing wrong with her being chunky, this article girl is being a stupid fatass. . . I'm fat too, but I'm trying to do something about it, she's just being fat and complaining about how other people view fat people. Faye is a lovely person who has self esteem issues because everyone else around her is skinny. . . its completely logical, no one is saying she's a cow.
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:56 »

You don't say. The alcoholic with abandonment issues resulting from witnessing the suicide of her father has some self esteem issues that come out as poor body image?

And as for other people calling her fat, I don't think the boys ever call her fat. It's the other girls (well, and the turkeys). In my experience, girls call each other (and themselves) fat a lot, no matter the truth.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2008, 11:12 »

I'm fat too, but I'm trying to do something about it, she's just being fat and complaining about how other people view fat people

Where did she say she wasn't doing anything about her weight? It's not a good idea to assume things.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2008, 12:11 »

Everywhere. She starts off one blog post with "I ate five strips of bacon this morning. It was delicious". She talks about how she's anti-dieting and anti-WLS(Weight Loss Surgery). She even describes herself as a FAP(Fat Acceptance Person). Plus, the blog is called Fatly Yours?
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2008, 12:50 »

I'm fat too, but I'm trying to do something about it, she's just being fat and complaining about how other people view fat people

Where did she say she wasn't doing anything about her weight? It's not a good idea to assume things.

I'm not assuming anything. Its exactly what Generic said.

MissAmbiguity

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #26 on: 25 Jun 2008, 16:28 »

Oooh also the nursing her aching muscles with ice cream. "I don't mind having a luscious bottom, it's a lush's bottom I'm trying to avoid."
Edit: Sorry, retract this statement. Faye said it and I misread what you guys were discussing above. La la la~

I was telling my friend about the article today. She said, "If the other characters in the story actually thought Faye was fat, everybody would be too conscious to say something about it."
It's true. The one time Marten called Faye an alcoholic everyone went bat-shit crazy.
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2008, 21:40 by MissAmbiguity »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2008, 18:09 »

I am going to dig myself in a hole here where I am sure comments will probably end up being "STFU fattie!" but....

I don't diet, and think most are stupid, as well. I am also pretty much against WLS, unless the person absolutely needs it.

I think if you want to lose weight you need to work for it. Which is why I'm against WLS. Work it off. Don't just expect your doctors to come save you. If it means that much to you, then actually work for it. Don't be lazy.

Most people don't understand that you have to keep up with a diet for the rest of your life. You can't change the way you eat for a week and expect to drastically change the way you look. You can't go from being a fatty to being skinny with even one month of dieting. And once you do grow(or I guess, shrink) into your ideal body, you can't o back to eating a pound of bacon everyday, and snacking all the time. You have to stick to a diet.

And I like eating bacon! I just because someone enjoys bacon doesn't make them anti-weight loss. I made bacon chocolate chip cookies, for fucks sake!

And who doesn't eat ice cream when they aren't feeling well? I am am pretty sure a lot of people do. It's called a comfort food for a reason.

I don't particularly mind my body. I mean, I'm not super hugely over weight, but I'm not anywhere near skinny either. I exercise, and I enjoy it. Everyone loves my butt. I have a huge "ghetto" booty, and have been told so many time. I enjoy it sometimes. Maybe I'm a freak, or maybe it's because I am fat, but I accept most people, regardless, of weight, height, strength, race, sex, whatever. I don't think that those things matter. Being proud of one's "lush bottom" and accepting fat people is not necessarily a bad thing. Until someone has a quote from this girl saying "Skinny people are gross! Gluttony FTW! EAT! EAT! EAT! Never lose weight! I will never exercise ever!" I won't believe that she doesn't care about her weight.

And having a blog called Fatly Yours means nothing.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2008, 20:04 »

Emaline, I am currently searching for some quotes from the lady which will show you that you are right, but we are right too. And then no one will argue.

Quote from: fatly yours lady
Should society cater to my needs if I choose a life of fatness? Yes, I think it should, because it caters to those who choose to diet or live healthy.
So you see, she chooses to maintain her weight and it is society's fault for not accepting that. Therefore, she must not be doing anything about her weight. To further the point, that except is from a blog post called "Why Don't I Just Diet", listing reasons why she does nothing about her weight.

More coming when I'm not busy, but this does show that
she wasn't doing anything about her weight
« Last Edit: 25 Jun 2008, 20:18 by GenericName »

snoppyjanoppy

« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2008, 20:43 »

I am going to dig myself in a hole here where I am sure comments will probably end up being "STFU fattie!" but....

I made bacon chocolate chip cookies, for fucks sake!

I have a huge "ghetto" booty, and have been told so many time. I enjoy it sometimes.

Skinny people are gross! Gluttony FTW! EAT! EAT! EAT!

That's about the extent of what I got out of that wall of text, but honestly you had me at bacon chocolate chip cookies.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #30 on: 26 Jun 2008, 04:00 »

I've always seen the "fat jokes" in the comic as the kind of in-jokes people make when someone is worrying about things un-necessarily.  As Jeph says, Faye is the major romantic interest in the comic.  All the guys think she is attractive.  She knows this, but has confidence and intimacy issues that bring her down.

Fat lady is overly sensitive.  Fat lady is projecting.  Fat lady is fat.

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 26 Jun 2008, 07:13 »

est's post is also funny if you replace lady with cat. Lol

stephanielikes

« Reply #32 on: 27 Jun 2008, 02:31 »

Ugh. I hate the 'moderation is deprivation' line. Think about it, kids; we curb our desires in things we want in plenty of different ways. A lot of us control drinking, or smoking, or the number of sexual partners, so as to do what is emotionally and physically healthier for us. Just because food has become the center of a huge media debate and many people's self-worth, we're suddenly expected to not show restraint, despite the fact that a higher weight can cause health risks? (And don't bother telling me that that's association and not causation, anyone, because I'm smart enough to not fall for it.)
Weight isn't the only issue portrayed in this way; alcohol is a huge issue, with celebrities succumbing to it, and amongst teenagers promiscuity is often depicted as a sign of popularity. Both are open to debate; some would argue that a certain amount of a certain type of alcohol can be beneficial (in fact, a lot of research is beginning to suggest this) and that sex with multiple partners is fine, as long as it is safe sex and we can deal with the emotional aspect. Fine. But everybody knows their limits in this area and knows what becomes damaging.
So why, why, is it to sinful to curb your eating suddenly? Why do I get told I'm dieting when in fact I'm only eating what makes me feel content, and not what my eyes-bigger-than-my-stomach would have me consume?
Faye eats what she likes, and decided to take the route of excercise to try and lose weight. Might Faye encounter health problems because of her weight? At the moment, it doesn't seem likely, but at an older age when estrogen levels fluctuate and weight shifts to the stomach rather than hips, it could be an issue for her. Who knows?

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #33 on: 27 Jun 2008, 19:14 »

Quote from: fat lady
There's only so many fat jokes I can take in one sitting.

Hehe. Fatty make a funny.
No, I do not believe in a stickman world either. But all this time that fat lady spent in (over-)analyzing whether the fat character should be fatter could have well been spent working on the spares which fat lady is carrying around with her.
In her comment on other person's comment, she says she feels that a fat acceptance blog is necessary due to all the diet / anti-fat blogs.
Now that she says it, I have a strong urge to open a blog both defending the social importance and vehemently denying the health hazards of smoking.

Plus, being the "one" plus-sized character / person in a group is only a problem if you make it one. People who are truly comfortable in their bodies won't care at all what others have to say about their figure. I'm not small but neither am I extraordinarily big - and I have been mostly slim / skinny since ten years or so. But even in my chubby phases I feel okay. Which means anyone trying to tease me with my body shape or weight would get no reaction from me in return. Certainly not a 4-page essay about a web comic character who would be getting laid like Wilt Chamberlain if she wanted to.

If (and I'm not saying there is) - but if there is a hidden message about Faye and her body type, it's certainly not about her being less attractive.

Other than that, stephanielikes spoke my soul on the topic.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Junodog

• Not quite a lurker
  • Beregond needs more love.
« Reply #34 on: 27 Jun 2008, 19:31 »

Didn't Jeph mention that Faye gets bigger as he gets better at drawing? If this lady thinks it's unrealistic/Jeph's being a sexist, anti-fatty bastard, then she probably doesn't understand the basic concept of cartoons. Either that or we have a shocking lack of people standing up for the rights of all those big-nosed characters out there. I mean, come on, portraying men with gigantic noses while giving women small noses is like the most sexist thing you could ever do ever!
Quote from: Xipher from elsewhere
I'ma gonna charge my kitty vengance lazer beam. It's the cutest death ray you'll ever see.

Mars

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #35 on: 27 Jun 2008, 23:36 »

Hokay. So, I've expressed my views regarding this elsewhere in the past. My views on this are the sort of thing that can get me into trouble, but I do not compromise on them and the one thing that I pride myself about is that I am a very honest person.

In other words, I'm just gonna say it and damn the consequences.

The problem I have with people like this is that they live an unhealthy lifestyle. Sometimes it's a case of laziness and/or gluttony. Sometimes it's a case of just different priorities. And very rarely it's a case of other medical issues manifesting as weight problems.

And if your priorities are different from mine, that's okay. I mean, frankly, I don't prioritize health over everything either. I exercise a fair bit, but I'm also a smoker. So meh. Take that how you will. Some people prioritize food and pleasure over their health, and if that's your choice, then that's absolutely fine. More power to you, fatty.

The thing is, the flip side of personal liberty is personal responsibility. As a smoker, I have to moderate my addiction. There are some places I can't smoke (indoors in any public building). Sometimes I have to go outside and stand out in the cold or the rain or maybe even in a snowdrift. And sometimes if I'm at work or busy in some way I can't get my fix and I have to just suck it up. I do these things without complaint because these are the consequences of my decision. I'm responsible for the inconveniences caused by the choice I made.

Being fat is a choice. There is a very small number of people in this world whose weight is outside of their control, and everyone else has made a decision. It may not be a conscious decision; the rebuttal I always get is that 'nobody wants to be fat.' But the thing is, even if they don't make a conscious choice to be fat, a person who is overweight has made a decision regardless. By not moderating their diet and exercising regularly they've abdicated control over the issue and have therefore decided that they don't care.

So, fattys choose to be fat. And that's fine. Whatever your weight is, if you're happy and comfortable then there's no problem as long as you're willing to accept the consequences. There are a lot of consequences to maintaining an unhealthy weight, and they run the gamut. On the one side you've got potential health issues, like heart disease and high blood pressure. You have to deal with a bias that exists. If you're massively overweight you may have to deal with the fact that a lot of public facilities aren't designed to accommodate you. And yes, ladies, you have to deal with the fact that a lot of men aren't attracted to overweight women too.

Men should hypothetically have to deal with this too, but it seems to be less of an issue; women just don't seem to care about their partner's weight as much.

I personally am not attracted to overweight women. I'm not attracted to super skinny women either exactly, but I prefer a healthy girl over anything, whether she's a slender healthy girl or a curvy healthy girl. I think Faye is portrayed as the latter; she's got hips, but she's not overweight. She may not be fit and healthy in the way that Penny is, but it's also true that at least half the guys in QC-land seem to be lusting after her. And let's be honest here; there aren't a whole lot of men in women in the real world who are fit and healthy in the way Penny is anyway. Most folks find a middle ground.

I'm not especially attracted to Faye either, but that has more to do with the fact that she's a collection of coloured pixels on a screen. I'm sure if I were to meet a real girl who matched the girl-representation that is Faye, I'd be at least moderately interested.

The paragraph above represents the last of the on-topic discussion. You've been warned.

My problem with the fatly yours blog is the same as my problem with the whole fat acceptance movement in general. There is no smokers acceptance movement and I certainly wouldn't be a part of it if there was. Smoking is unhealthy, and a lot of people think it's disgusting. I can dig that, and as long as they don't get in my face when I'm not in theirs I reckon they're entitled to their opinion. I understand that smoking is a bad habit. It's not something to be lauded or admired or accepted. My vice is the result of bad decisions that I made as a younger lad, and that I continue with it stems more from my own bit of laziness; it's not currently worth the necessary effort to quit for me.

Yes, it is possible for a guy who walks 5+ miles per day to be lazy. I'm living proof.

So there's the parallel. Being fat is a choice. You can make that choice if you want to. Feel free to be fat, but know that you'll probably die before the skinny smokers like me. And don't try to bend the rest of the world to accommodate your failing. Being overweight has consequences and you either have to suck it up and deal with it, or quit whining and take up jogging. Those are the choices. Making everyone else change because you can't be bothered doesn't fall into either category.

Special note: Emaline, I say more power to you. What I get from your posts is that you're aware of the complications and consequences of being overweight and that you make that decision anyway and are willing to accept the consequences. You prioritize chocolate chip and bacon cookies over being supermodel skinny and that's okay. Just promise me you'll never utter the phrase 'fat is beautiful' and we can be best friends forever.

What I mean to say is that I'm not unaccepting of fat people. I'm not unaccepting of any people; however you choose to live your life is fine by me. What irks me and what this post is all about is the people who try to change everyone else because it's too much work for them to change themselves. A healthy diet and moderate exercise is all it takes to eliminate obesity. We're talking an hour and a half a week and cutting out some of the junk food some of the time. It's not a complicated thing, and if a person can't even be bothered with that and then goes on to tell me that I'm in the wrong for expecting them to deal with the consequences... well, as you can plainly see, it irritates me to no end.

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #36 on: 28 Jun 2008, 03:31 »

Word to your supreme argumentation skills.

I hope that 30 years down the line, she has to fight in court for coverage of obesity-related treatment - and her blog surfaces as court evidence.
Most "fat" people I know have no problem losing weight. My Dad is as tall as me and weighs about 60% more. He used to be a semi-pro soccer player. His weight gain is due to change in lifestyle but NOT out of his control. My sister is a little bit on the chubby side and it's not because she can't lose it - it's because she doesn't control (or want to control, choice-wise) her eating habits and she doesn't work out.

In about 10-15 years, I'll inflate like a balloon if I don't watch what I do - exactly like my Dad. But it is within my means to do something about it.

So fatly up yours.
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Pocchama

« Reply #37 on: 28 Jun 2008, 11:50 »

I'm not sure if people will take offense to this... or if it's been said yet, as I didn't read the entire thread yet... but the thing that bugs me is that she talks about Faye being as slim as the other girls in the beginning of the comic. I don't think that's a valid point, because I'm pretty sure that even Jeph himself has stated that it's because he wasn't... good enough at drawing different figures and stuff. He didn't know how to portray her as larger/curvier properly or whatever. Through the years she's gotten bigger, yes, but she grows along with Jeph's ability.

Idk, I know a lot of larger people, guys and girls, who make fun of me for being 'Twiggy', so making fun of skinny people may be a cliché but it's true.

That's my two cents.

Thlayli

« Reply #38 on: 30 Jun 2008, 14:25 »

Mmmm, yeah. In the first strips, Faye's head was the size of the rest of her body, but you don't see hydrocephalic people blogging about it. I always thought a real-life analog to her would be built like a pin-up; big hips, big rack, but not pudgy.

smellslikemagic

« Reply #39 on: 03 Jul 2008, 07:52 »

Being fat is a choice. There is a very small number of people in this world whose weight is outside of their control, and everyone else has made a decision. It may not be a conscious decision; the rebuttal I always get is that 'nobody wants to be fat.' But the thing is, even if they don't make a conscious choice to be fat, a person who is overweight has made a decision regardless. By not moderating their diet and exercising regularly they've abdicated control over the issue and have therefore decided that they don't care.

Your comment has a great deal of truth in it, but it is actually harder to choose not to be fat over choosing not to smoke.  For most people, the choice to smoke is not available to them until they are in their teens.  But many obese people are that way because of the type of diet they have had since before they were TWO.  I'm sorry, but a toddler doesn't choose to start drinking soda; that is the parent killing their own child.  So people who have been fat for most of their lives will have an uphill battle losing that weight and changing their eating habits, unless they have a lot of support from other people.  This is why obesity is classified as an epidemic and smoking isn't; obesity is a product of culture and family circumstances, even more so than smoking is.  What I'm saying is, fat children often didn't make that choice themselves, and if someone doesn't intervene early, they have increasingly diminishing chances of learning how to lose weight.

fancydancepants

« Reply #40 on: 03 Jul 2008, 10:50 »

I think it's a webcomic and like any other kind of media, it's about what people want to see.  And they want to see some starved looking hipsters demmit.

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #41 on: 03 Jul 2008, 13:00 »

to OP:

I didn't think the article had any truth in it at all and I thought it was 100% ridiculous. It honestly sounded like this fat lady projecting her own emotional issues into the comic frame. and from her profile pic I gathered right that she was over-weight. Honestly if someone is over-weight than don't complain if someone critisizes you. Commenting on obesity is NOT racist or anything stupid like that. if someone is over weight than perhaps they should take steps to correct that instead of complaining to the entire world while filling their face with icecream all the time.

disclaimer: No offense to the over-weight people who might read this. I spent alot of my young years as an over-weight kid and I lost all of the weight overtime by changing a few tiny lifestyle habits. So please don't get mad at me. Take what I say with a grain of salt. it CAN be helped.

himynameisjulien

« Reply #42 on: 03 Jul 2008, 19:48 »

I really think its over the top to write such an article on a comic in the first place...
and the examples in the second last part of the article is a bit off too, because, after those two comes http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=354
It's almost like selective memory combined with a certain bias. The author of the blog seems to obscure the facts. It reminds me of the U.S. government. Also, FiskFisk33, I want to let you know that I like your quote.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #43 on: 03 Jul 2008, 23:56 »

"Honestly if someone is over-weight than don't complain if someone critisizes you."

What I guess you meant is "Honestly if someone is overweight then they shouldn't complain if someone criticizes them."

So someone who is overweight shouldn't be offended if someone calls them fat? Even though that is extremely rude and hurtful? What if somebody called you a pimply-faced loser or pointed out that your beard was stupid or your haircut or clothing choice sucked?
All of those are, to an extent, choices you make about the way you look (acne CAN be caused by bad hygeine.)

This isn't me insulting you, because I don't know what you look like, but nobody has the right to degrade anyone's appearance in front of them. It isn't "advice" it is "being a fuckface". It is only advice if they honestly ask you for it.
Hate, rain on me

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #44 on: 04 Jul 2008, 07:00 »

I see where that article is coming from, because the writer is probably tired of her weight being considered an issue.

But I disagree.  Nobody's ever made fun of Faye for not being skinny, and when her weight is brought up in the comic it's usually Faye bringing it up.  You can't deal with the unrealistic, unfair expectations for waifishness society places on women without talking about it.  It's just a current fact of our culture.  Women of normal weight are made to feel that they're overweight, which leads people to accusing them of being undisciplined eaters or somehow gross.  It's better to address the issues of our culture than pretend they don't exist.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #45 on: 04 Jul 2008, 19:24 »

??
People have made fun of Faye for not being skinny. Pen-elope in 754, even if she was just following up on something Faye said. Dora in 170 (and Amanda's remark in the same strip). According to Dora in 751, Raven made a few remarks. Dora called her "squishy-ass" in 118. Eva in 795. I'm not counting 740, because they were roleplaying. 998 might be considered honest feedback, since Faye brought up the subject of bottom-bouncing. The teasing got utterly vicious in 936 where the robots are manipulating her dream.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2008, 19:37 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

chASS

« Reply #46 on: 04 Jul 2008, 20:52 »

Jeph, you sexist pig!

just kidding, i'm going back to the kitchen. would you like your sandwich on wheat?  :-D

stephanielikes

« Reply #47 on: 05 Jul 2008, 06:12 »

Faye also comments on Dora's weight. She comments on her breasts.
There are jokes about hair, about clothing...
it's almost like jokes are made throughout the comment about controllable physical appearance in all directions and people zone in on those made toward's Faye because of society's attitude to weight.
Weird, huh?

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #48 on: 05 Jul 2008, 09:56 »

"Honestly if someone is over-weight than don't complain if someone critisizes you."

What I guess you meant is "Honestly if someone is overweight then they shouldn't complain if someone criticizes them."

So someone who is overweight shouldn't be offended if someone calls them fat? Even though that is extremely rude and hurtful? What if somebody called you a pimply-faced loser or pointed out that your beard was stupid or your haircut or clothing choice sucked?
All of those are, to an extent, choices you make about the way you look (acne CAN be caused by bad hygeine.)

This isn't me insulting you, because I don't know what you look like, but nobody has the right to degrade anyone's appearance in front of them. It isn't "advice" it is "being a fuckface". It is only advice if they honestly ask you for it.

well I agree with this but this isn't really what I was getting at.

What I'm talking about is the person who has 6 suppers a day and weighs 400 pounds and sits in front of the TV and tries to protest to the entire world how everyone should be ok with it. It's more spoiled attitudes I'm getting at and this could go for anyone who has an issue in their life. There's being a fuck face and then there IS honest criticism. Those who get enraged at the honest criticism need to really grow-up a bit.

My point in short, this woman said that Jeph said Faye was fat [which he never really did anyways] and this woman flies off the handle about it! It's that kind of attitude that strikes a cord with me.

And judging by her other blog entries and her blog title it honestly seems her ENTIRE BLOG is devoted to bashing people who are "prejuduce against fats". I'm sorry but I don't have anything positive to say to people who won't take steps to correct their own faults and place blame on other people to cover their own tracks.

Honestly? She's fat.... it's true.... if she doesn't wanna hear that from people than she should do something about her weight problems.
« Last Edit: 05 Jul 2008, 10:32 by MC »

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #49 on: 05 Jul 2008, 11:47 »

??
People have made fun of Faye for not being skinny. Pen-elope in 754, even if she was just following up on something Faye said. Dora in 170 (and Amanda's remark in the same strip). According to Dora in 751, Raven made a few remarks. Dora called her "squishy-ass" in 118. Eva in 795. I'm not counting 740, because they were roleplaying. 998 might be considered honest feedback, since Faye brought up the subject of bottom-bouncing. The teasing got utterly vicious in 936 where the robots are manipulating her dream.

936 was a guest strip.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up