THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Article on "Fat Faye"  (Read 78780 times)

MC

• Furry furrier
Re: Article on "Fat Faye"
« Reply #100 on: 16 Jul 2008, 07:00 »

Sure. You only lost the crappy years at the end anyway.  :-P

naw not really actually. The crappy years get moved up to your 40s and 50s [maybe even 30s if your REALLY obese] and you pretty much lose your youth.

They say most sumo wrestlers don't even live till their 30. As has been said...... is it really worth those extra sandwiches?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #101 on: 16 Jul 2008, 07:11 »

Um, sumo wrestlers are pretty fat, but not ridiculously obese.  Their life expectancy is more like 60-65; they're basically normal fat people.

Antsan

• Not quite a lurker
  • der Skizzenhafte
« Reply #102 on: 16 Jul 2008, 07:29 »

I am from Germany (it was relevant a few posts ago).
Yo can call me a fuckin leftist if you want, but Germany is spending most of its money on the Bundeswehr, too. Much more than on health-care if I can believe the statistics I got, when I asked for them at the Finanzamt. It's been a while, so I can be wrong.

Smokers cost a lot of money. But it remains legal (even though smokers are getting cornered increasingly these days) because they also make a lot of money for poppa federal budget.
See, that's where they pay for their treatment.

I don't smoke and I don't like smoking, but I don't agree with you.

But the things that cause their lower lifespans (diabetes, heart disease, cancer) are damn expensive while they're still alive.
Well, not so long, that they come to the costs of people who are living healthy lifes, appeareantly.

@topic:
I don't see her point. Faye is not fat and most people I know are skinny and not Faye-like. And most of them are complaining about their figure, so this is just something nearly every girl seems to do (and I compliment every girl, who doesn't).
Bad English? Sorry, I'm from Germany...

The serious side of life is just a childish imagination.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #103 on: 18 Jul 2008, 16:43 »

I'd like to chime in as someone who is overweight.  Faye isn't obese.  She's full figured and insecure with her body, but not obese.

I'd also like to point a few things out about myself.  I do watch what I eat.  I've cut down on saturated fat and eat more vegetables than I used to.  I don't eat fast food more than once a month.  I admit that I am lazy and have a sweet tooth.  I've learned that how much you weigh isn't the best indicator of how healthy you are.  An overweight person who exercises regulary can be healthier than a skinny person who doesn't.

I think western culture has been saturated with lazyness.  100 years ago, if you wanted a snack, you had to make one from scratch.  Today you can purchase a candy bar for 75 cents.  Back then, if someone was skinny it was because they couldn't afford to eat more.  Human nature forces us to do two things:  eat and fornicate.  When we invented birth control, technology allowed us to pursue the latter without the responsibilites of raising children.  Unfortunetly, technology has not caught up with the former.  Maybe it will someday and you can take an anti-obesity pill with your chocolate cake.

Silverback

« Reply #104 on: 20 Jul 2008, 03:38 »

And I've heard that penguins are able to fly when noone is watching, but until I can back it up with facts it matters diddly-squat.

Don't look now...
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2008, 03:40 by Silverback »

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #105 on: 20 Jul 2008, 09:21 »

That was actually an April Fools Joke by BBC. You are correct in the fact that no penguins can fly. However many people call what they do under water "Flying".
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
My dangerous activity is better than *your* dangerous activity.
« Reply #106 on: 20 Jul 2008, 11:23 »

One of the reasons why I'm so pissed off about fat people and smokers getting treatment out of the public healthcare is that they are a) aware that they're submitting themselves to health risks and b) that they choose to incur these risks individually but as soon as disaster strikes they want it to be paid by the public.

Hell, I like dangerous and unhealthy stuff, too. But I know that a snowboarding injury will come out of my pocket.

So if you hit a tree while snowboarding, and are left paralyzed from the neck down, requiring thousands of hours of rehabilitation and at least part-time nursing care for the rest of your life, is that going to come out of your pocket too, hero?

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.

So if you hit a tree while snowboarding, and are left paralyzed from the neck down, requiring thousands of hours of rehabilitation and at least part-time nursing care for the rest of your life, is that going to come out of your pocket too, hero?

My general view is, once nothing works below the neck, it's time to ask a trusted friend to get the .45.

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #108 on: 20 Jul 2008, 18:42 »

There was a good movie released last year called (in English) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401383/

It was based on a book of the same name, which was the non-fiction memoir of a completely paralyzed person. From Wikipedia:

...Bauby suffered a stroke and lapsed into a coma. He awoke 20 days later, mentally aware of his surroundings but physically paralyzed with the exception of some movement in his head and left eye. The entire book was written by Bauby blinking his left eyelid, in July and August of 1996. A transcriber repeatedly recited a French language frequency-ordered alphabet (E S A R I N T U L etc.), until Bauby blinked to choose the next letter. The book took about 200,000 blinks to write and each word took approximately two minutes.... [The book] received excellent reviews and sold 150,000 copies in the first week and went on to become a number one bestseller across Europe.

Make sure that your friend with the .45 gets your consent before he pulls the trigger! You might want to write your memoir first.
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

Thlayli

« Reply #109 on: 22 Jul 2008, 17:13 »

Not only would I say it to your face, assuming you're as dangerously overweight as you seem to be claiming, I've said it to other people before too. They understood and agreed, because they were fairly smart.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
« Reply #110 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:03 »

Not only would I say it to your face, assuming you're as dangerously overweight as you seem to be claiming, I've said it to other people before too. They understood and agreed, because they were fairly smart.

Um, whom the fuck are you talking to?  :?

The quote button, it is your little friend.  :police:

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #111 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:39 »

nono you see Bunny, the person he was talking to deleted all her posts, so now he just seems crazy.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
« Reply #112 on: 28 Jul 2008, 09:49 »

nono you see Bunny, the person he was talking to deleted all her posts, so now he just seems crazy.

This is why I use the quote button at all times. I know that people here get all up in arms when you use it while immediately following-up, but seriously, when the traffic is high here, "immediately" doesn't mean much. And when the traffic is low here, who cares? Are the couple hundred pixels I waste a precious resource? Is the extra eighth of an inch of quoted text I include an impassible barrier that the eye cannot supercede? I don't think so.  :roll:

Quoting aids clarity. Clarity aids understanding. Understanding aids discussion. Discussion is why we are here.
Q. E. D.

Rocketman

• A little bitter.
« Reply #113 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:40 »

Q. E. D.

Quoting Enables Discussion?

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #114 on: 28 Jul 2008, 13:13 »

Q. E. D.

Oh, Quite Easily Done!
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #115 on: 28 Jul 2008, 13:32 »

Are the couple hundred pixels I waste a precious resource?

They can be.

Q. E. D.

Oh yeah?  Prove it!

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #116 on: 29 Jul 2008, 10:34 »

Man I remember doing a report on online advertising and The Million Dollar Homepage in middle school. Is it really that old?
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

jackmulligan

« Reply #117 on: 29 Jul 2008, 17:21 »

I think that in a sense, the whole discussion boils down to the issue of personal responsibility, and the implications of shifting the consequences and responsibilities regarding our own actions to somebody else (i.e, McDonald's, tobacco companies, healthcare system), or even worse, not recognizing any responsibility at all.

I tried to sum it up here:

http://jackmulligan.blogspot.com/2008/07/teh-issues-with-ourselves.html

it's in spanish though, so be warned

lauren!

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #118 on: 30 Jul 2008, 21:24 »

Faye has said herself that she knows she's not obese, she's just comparatively bigger than the other girls.  I don't get why this woman is so adamant about getting her point across that Jeph is sexist and sizeist, when really, it's just a character he's created, and that's who she is.  And for the most part, nobody has a problem with Faye's weight problem, they just bring it up every once in awhile, and she serves it right back to them.

Dude, it's a fucking comic strip.  Go whine how everybody on the Simpsons is a fatty, and grow another chin. 
What's this about nudity?

jackmulligan

« Reply #119 on: 31 Jul 2008, 20:16 »

Matt Groening is a sizeist!!!

He portrays Bart (who has a large tummy, funny no one has noticed that after all these years) as a mischievous kid, ergo Matt Groening thinks all fat kids are trouble kids

That's the kinda logic that girl uses
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up