THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 03:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dr. Horrible  (Read 19884 times)

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
Re: Dr. Horrible
« Reply #50 on: 26 Jul 2008, 14:35 »

I think a pretty strong case could be made for Dr. Horrible being evil, though. I mean, he's actively pursuing evil deeds just to be evil, which seems pretty evil to me. He stole the "Wonderflonium" and he had no problem taking advantage of Penny's death to get into the ELE (though, this is open to quite a bit of interpretation, and I wouldn't be surprised if we find out in a possible sequel that he only took the position to take out Bad Horse and co.) - all of which paint him to be a pretty evil dude. Hesitating to do a bad thing doesn't make you good. It just means you're human. We don't know whether he would have actually killed Captain Hammer or not, unfortunately.

Though, some of his actions are understandable since Captain Hammer was such a douche to him.

MarkTBSc

• Curry sauce
  • The pheasant has no agenda
« Reply #51 on: 26 Jul 2008, 15:48 »

There's a line between evil and bad. The best example I ever heard - which came, oddly enough, from a science fiction dog - was that Evil was hurting someone who hadn't hurt you or when hurting was not required.

Dr. Horrible stole the Wonderflonium which is bad, criminal but not evil (I think we'd all agree that while Mal Reynolds could be bad, he wasn't evil). He attempted to unseat the rightfully elected leader of the people at the Town hall which is bad, but not Evil (What's that saying? When treason prospers then none dare call it treason). The whole 'killing' thing can be argued both ways. He had an opportunity to kill the man he hates most in the world but didn't, and maybe even couldn't, do it. That's not evil. Taking his place in the ELoE after Captain Hammer caused Penny's death could be viewed as both unethical and immoral  but not Evil. He may not even have realised what he was doing at the time if he was too traumatised.

The Doctor's whole game plan was to take over the world and make it a better place. I'd say that's a good goal, even if it involves some sundry naughtiness along the way. To my mind he's more Han Solo or Mal Reynolds than The Emperor or Adelai Niska. In fact, under my initial description, Captain Hammer would fall into the Evil category.

And y'know what? It occurs to me that I'm taking this waaaaay too seriously.

Ummm.... Wibble? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nAuL4gyevQ
Unique Quarks - For when Antimatter just isn't destructive enough.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #52 on: 26 Jul 2008, 21:17 »

So, it's kind of a tricky way to say that the ends justify the means?

katarat

« Reply #53 on: 31 Jul 2008, 10:31 »

Just watched all three acts - they are all still available online at the moment.  Great stuff: funny, dark, smart!  Great interweaving duets showing the different points of view.

I almost hate to analyze Dr. Horrible’s character, because the musical itself presents him in his proper complexity.  Anything we say here is going to be oversimplification.  On the surface, he is a wannabe supervillain, so you might think he’s a bad/evil character.  But he isn’t motivated by the desire to hurt people.  His view is that the world sucks and the solution is for him to take over.  And of course, he wants the girl he is too shy to approach.  But he just can’t win for losing.  Captain Hammer, the self-centered boob, has all the luck and popular opinion on his side.  The tragic ending leaves us with the perfect amount of dissatisfaction and frustration.  I’m hungry for more!

SimpsonsParadox

« Reply #54 on: 02 Aug 2008, 11:44 »

Watching Act III kind of ruined the series for me until the final song started. That song is perhaps the best song out of all three acts (And it only gets better when it shows the Evil League of Evil).

If we're hypothesizing about the characters motivations, though, I believe that Captain Hammer and Doctor Horrible are different sides of the same coin: Captain Hammer is a 'good' guy who really is evil (Or, at the very least, not as good as his position would normally demand) where as Dr. Horrible is an 'evil' character who really does good things (In Act I, you can see him attempting to stop the van even before it puts Penny in mortal danger.)

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #55 on: 02 Aug 2008, 22:28 »

Act III might be a bit Joss Whedon for my tastes.  It was still good.

"The Hammer is my penis" will be a joke between my girlfriend and I for the next month or so at least.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
  • THERE WILL BE NO EGGS OF ANY KIND!!
« Reply #56 on: 03 Aug 2008, 16:03 »

I started playing City of Heroes about a week ago.  I saw a guy yesterday that was Captain Hammer, but they couldn't use that name, so his name was "TheseAren'tTheHammer".

I commended and friended him.  He still has no idea who I am.

MissZahrah

« Reply #57 on: 04 Aug 2008, 20:36 »

The first song got thoroughly stuck in my head.  But I'm sorry... I'm just too much of an idealist.. I hated the ending.  Damn you Joss!  I like HAPPY endings.  TOO MUCH REALITY goin' on in my fantasy!

On a lighter note... Can't get enough of that wacky, singing mad-scientist bent on world domination??? Then check out Doctor Steel! More Toys, Robots, Fun, Happiness, and Mind Control Cookies than you can shake a freeze-ray at!

:laugh: :angel:

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #58 on: 04 Aug 2008, 21:21 »

I think that Whedon should have gone the uninteresting conventional route and furthermore
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #59 on: 04 Aug 2008, 21:39 »

The only happy ending I know of Whedon using was the end of Serenity, and that only counts if you consider it a happy ending when one of the best characters dies. I don't think I would even consider it happy if it weren't for mal's speech at the end.

I would hate to play poker against Nathan Fillion, he could bluff having a hand better than a royal flush without his expression cracking.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #60 on: 05 Aug 2008, 16:59 »

I think that Whedon should have gone the uninteresting conventional route and furthermore

I heard that in his next project he has a Protagonist who gets the Girl in the end but not before undergoing both Trials and Tribulations including the death of his elderly and wise Grandfather.

No it is not a Snow Crash adaptation but wouldn't that be rad?

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
« Reply #61 on: 05 Aug 2008, 21:31 »

Guys, didn't they announce a sequel at ComicCon? Isn't that what I heard?

Which means things may not be as they seeeeeeeeeeem.

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #62 on: 03 Sep 2008, 18:13 »

So, they released the soundtrack on Itunes.  Anybody pick it up?  I know I did.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 03 Sep 2008, 19:57 »

The show is still free on hulu.  I'm working on memorizing it.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #64 on: 04 Sep 2008, 08:04 »

I'm sooo close to buying the soundtrack off of iTunes, but I want the actual physical CD, and I can't afford to buy both, so I'm trying to wait. I'll be rewatching it tonight instead.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 04 Sep 2008, 17:28 »

I will buy this on DVD.

3Z3VH

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #66 on: 08 Sep 2008, 12:47 »

Or, you can buy it now on iTunes ;)
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #67 on: 08 Sep 2008, 17:07 »

DVD!   It must have its precious!

Betagold

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #68 on: 10 Sep 2008, 17:54 »

With COMMENTARY! as a DVD extra, I don't want anything but the DVD.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #69 on: 10 Sep 2008, 19:34 »

Yeah, that and the fact that anything stored on a hard drive is necessarily impermanent by definition.  I like the extras, but having an actual disc in hand is comforting.

But I really, really want the extras.

Anastrianna

« Reply #70 on: 27 Sep 2008, 09:24 »

So, the first time I watched it, I was feeling sick and walked in when my roommate was half way through it. I thought it was dumb as hell. Then she forced me to watch it from the beginning and I fell in love. I should have known that, coming from Joss, it would have been amazing.

I came across this short comic about Captain Hammer:

http://myspace.com/darkhorsepresents?issuenum=12&storynum=2

fozmo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #71 on: 27 Sep 2008, 20:23 »

Attention, all who aspire to join the ranks of the Evil League of Evil, and such big names in villany as Fake Thomas Jefferson, Dead Bowie, and the infamous Bad Horse, the ELoE is now accepting applicants. Are YOU evil enough?

http://www.evilleagueofevil.com/

Edit: Because I can't get my comic companies and equestrian baddies straight
« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 21:17 by fozmo »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 27 Sep 2008, 20:27 »

... Dark Horse?  Are you sure you don't mean Bad Horse?

I mean, I wouldn't mind joining the likes of Archaia Press and Abstract Studio, but I don't think that's where you were going with that.

fozmo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 27 Sep 2008, 21:16 »

...Oops, got mixed up with Anastrianna's Dark Horse Comics link. Either way, a challenge to join formidable ranks.

Anastrianna

« Reply #74 on: 28 Sep 2008, 12:14 »

I caused confusion! woot.

lol.

sorry.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #75 on: 28 Nov 2008, 20:01 »

The DVD is available for pre-order now!

I can barely wait to get it, it is pretty much bound to be awesome.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 29 Nov 2008, 06:08 »

A gasp of awe and glee!  Necromancy be damned; this is worth the bump!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up