THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 05:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: DWARF FORTRESS  (Read 114934 times)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Re: DWARF FORTRESS
« Reply #150 on: 04 Sep 2010, 21:25 »

Same thing happened to me last night, only I "slaughtered" an animal by telling my militia to kill it.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #151 on: 04 Sep 2010, 21:27 »

Ezy az bro, eh

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #152 on: 04 Sep 2010, 23:57 »

I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #153 on: 05 Sep 2010, 00:14 »

someone tell me how to run dwarf therapist on my mac
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #154 on: 05 Sep 2010, 04:18 »

You should probably buy a real computer if you want to play grown up's games.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #155 on: 05 Sep 2010, 10:48 »

I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #156 on: 05 Sep 2010, 10:54 »

i don't have a copy of windows to install nor the space to install it
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #157 on: 05 Sep 2010, 14:31 »

There's apparently a version of dwarf foreman up for mac: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27969.0. it's similar and has pretty much the exact same uses, but it's less polished, and you can't do the really fancy stuff (that you need some basic java knowledge to do anyways, like making your own groupings like "players with above 5 strength"). There's also a linux version out for the therapist, but I guess that's not any big help.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #158 on: 05 Sep 2010, 16:59 »

Or hey you could just LEARN TO PLAY DWARF FORTRESS

:evil:
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #159 on: 05 Sep 2010, 17:07 »

Dwarf Foreman sucks, unfortunately. Once I started using Therapist I can't tell you how more efficient my troops became. Doesn't help you at all JC, in fact I'm kind of rubbing it in your face by mentioning such. My bad.

Also KVP, epic muthafuckin' story. However, I wanna read ours!
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #160 on: 05 Sep 2010, 17:17 »

I know! I know. Life has presented me with Circumstances. However tomorrow is Labor Day, aka No Work Day, aka Sit on Your Ass Day, aka Dwarf Fortress Day.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #161 on: 05 Sep 2010, 23:14 »

I think we should post pictures of our Fortresses. This is is a polite way for me to ask if I can photodump. But I want to see how other people are designing theirs! So go!

May I present to you TowerTours , created by the citizens of the West Manor, dwarf Fellowship of the Arrow of Friends, led by the mighty she-devil Bembul Tattooedtowers. Currently at a population of 64:

The Entrance: where I'm currently busy building the first of my vanity projects, a striped Paved Road. Still need to figure out how to deal with multi-story outside construction, so that I can fortify the entrance better. I also need to fill those pits with spikes, many many spikes. There's also a courtyard here and a separate plateau with outdoor farming.

The Barracks: Not a lot going on here yet, was waiting for the latest shipment of migrants to draft any kind of significant military. Now that I have a bunch of peasants and other useless sods, I'm ready and rarin' to start on it. Their's a lever in here connected to the drawbridge so there is some protection from the outside world, though I have way too few traps.

First Housing Level: What it says, store-room well stocked, Great Dining Room, quarters of Bembul Tatooedtowers at the bottom.

Second Housing Level: Many more rooms, much bigger storage for food, Grand Dining Hall, new expansion along the bottom, though I've run into sand for some of them so there's gonna be some meager quarters for the poor dwarves. My broker and legendary stonecrafter Stukos Tossidor lives and has his new office here.

Catacombs: The entrance to what I'm hoping will be a very large and twisty section of tombs. Small ones for general burial, still getting decorated to hell, and big ol' mausoleums in the back.

Workshops Workshop Level, furthest down, I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it but I'm still learning. Lotta workshops, storage areas, still getting metalworking sorted out. Haven't hit coal of any kind or magma so I'll just have to wait and see, I'm starting to dig deeper and have a huge Dwarven Hall that I eventually want to make an epic vanity throneroom several more levels down.
http://
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #162 on: 06 Sep 2010, 02:03 »

I've found that as a general rule, it's best to put the workshops on the last level of dirt / sand / loam before you hit rock. That way you'll be closest to your two major materials - rock and wood.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #163 on: 06 Sep 2010, 05:01 »

I'm thinking of moving the carpenters and the wood stockpile up to the surface (and a crafters shop if I want to carve some wood), and keep the rest further down. I've been experementing with a waterfall, but the basins I've made for moving the water up is way too big and causes a serious lag whenever it's doing anything, so I might have to redesign the whole thing. The idea was to make a water wheel that pumps the water up to itself, and powers the rest of my fortress. Leading the waterfall through the dining room would be a big bonus.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #164 on: 06 Sep 2010, 09:00 »

The thing is I have so many dwarves now that I can barely keep anyone assigned to task, so it only takes a minute or two to haul any amount of wood/stone anywhere that I want it.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #165 on: 06 Sep 2010, 13:51 »

« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2010, 17:30 by KvP »
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ackblom12

« Reply #166 on: 06 Sep 2010, 17:21 »

The fact that the actual Boatmurdered II fortress was destroyed by Zombie Elephants is perhaps the best thing.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #167 on: 06 Sep 2010, 21:04 »

Okay I'm finally starting to get raids from goblin snatchers. Seems my defenses are holding up however, and right now i've got at least 3 in cages. What do I do with them?

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #168 on: 06 Sep 2010, 21:29 »

Thunderdome!
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

ackblom12

« Reply #169 on: 06 Sep 2010, 21:31 »

Not sure if this will e appreciated by anyone else, but goddamn did this save me some time. Found the Lazy Newb Pack that includes DF v0.31.12 as well as Dwarf Therapist, updated to work with 31.12 of course, and a few other tools to make your life easier as well as 3 different tile sets. Mayday is included and I'm trying out the other 2. I like them quite a bit, namely Ironhand, due to the extra detail they have. The only problem is they are a bit darker which is fine for the most part, but the text is painful to read for me for some reason. Also the walls with ore look so much cleaner and don't make me think it looks hideous.

A few other things it includes for anyone who cares are a couple of hacking tools. I'm keeping it completely vanilla, but it's there if you're interested.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #170 on: 06 Sep 2010, 22:18 »

Okay I'm having trouble taming war animals. I've got a kennel, I've got a recent immigrant with mucho skills in all the animal training/care/hunting/ etc. areas. But when I go to the kennel and place the train war dog command (which from what I can understand is the command for all animals) it tells me that there are no available animals. The thing is is that I have stray dogs out the wahzoo, and I just traded for a couple of bears and some other animals from the elves. Now those cages are just chillin on the trading platform (along with the bins full of goods that I ended up not trading) and I don't seem to have access to any of them. Shiggity schwat do I do? (for the record I've also tried the other options, and every one of them says that there are no available animals)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #171 on: 07 Sep 2010, 05:44 »

Man, Stonesense is so great.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #172 on: 07 Sep 2010, 06:02 »

Also, I find both the tilesets that are not Mayday better in some ways but crappy in other ways.  Phoebus looks ok but the text looks awful to me.  Ironhand looks pretty polished, but again I am not sure about the text, and I don't like some of the artistic decisions made, such as the look of constructed walls and the silkiness(?) of liquids.   If not for a few minor-seeming things like that I'd prob want to use it a lot more than I do now.  As it stands I am not sure which I prefer!

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #173 on: 07 Sep 2010, 06:15 »

I've only tried Mayday and Phoebus, and while Mayday has better models, the fact that Phoebus shows water as numbers representing how deep the water is pretty damn practical. Of course, mayday shows you which way the water is moving, which you don't need that often, but it's needed when you want to do things like walling off a river or something like that.

Have you tried the wiki, boro? From what I can see, you'll have to uncage the animals before you can train them. That means unassigning the animals from the cages. If that doesn't help, I'm blank.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #174 on: 07 Sep 2010, 06:38 »

Yeah but I don't seem to have access to the cages, which are left on the trading post. Its not actually showing them at all, same goes for the bins of finely made rock crafts that I ended up not needing for trade.

And then there's the dogs, which are just running around everywhere uncaged. I know I've got at least 5 adult strays that are untrained, none of them are available apparently. I've read the wiki article and a step-by-step guide for how to do it, apparently the rules for doing things have changed or something.

ackblom12

« Reply #175 on: 07 Sep 2010, 06:45 »

Yeah Ben, the text is the only thing keeping me from using one of those tilesets. I don't know why but it's total murder on my eyes. Any ideas on if there is any way for me to simply go in and change the font used for the menus and descriptions?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #176 on: 07 Sep 2010, 08:22 »

You may have to move the stuff in from the depot to a stockpile to be able to use it. Do you have an animal stockpile set up?

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #177 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:05 »

I would have figured that all of the trade goods would have been automatically moved, but they haven't. Good point in the animal stockpile though, I'll set one up. Really need to get my military up and running, the chances of a lot of fun happening with this place are increasing by the moment. thank god I didn't piss the elves off again at least. First time I did that nearly had the fortress die of hunger.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #178 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:32 »

Okay finally found out how to do it in the 40d stuff on the wiki, you actually have to build the cage on a spot, if you've gotten it from traders or trapped something in it, and to select specific cages you have to use x to expand to a list of specific cages (rather than the general list which goes by what they're made of). Cool, even if I can't have dogs I will have grizzlies and a freakin jaguar.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #179 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:34 »

Also looking at this list I realize now that I don't in fact have any stray dogs, they all got adopted. But, I have like 30 puppies that I can't wait for them to grow up. Mass army of war dogs, a few might go down but dammit they swarm.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #180 on: 07 Sep 2010, 11:47 »

You should slaughter a bunch of those puppies before all hell breaks loose (I'm guessing that this works with dogs just as well as cats).

EDIT: One of my dwarf children just made an artifact wooden earring celebrating a meal my butcher made. It's covered with iron spikes. Like a dog's bracelet. The meal was probably dog meat biscuits. I guess the kid is a hipster artist who wants to point out in an ironic way that it's evil to slaughter animals just for food.
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2010, 13:46 by snalin »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #181 on: 08 Sep 2010, 22:14 »

Fell to a goblin ambush, was too late in setting up my military and I couldn't figure out how to make an attack order, even if they would have been ripped to shreds for being under-trained.

Edit: What the hell, I'm starting a new fortress and it has items with pokemon names. Also all of my like saved preferences for my party were erased, what the hell?
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2010, 22:34 by Boro_Bandito »

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #182 on: 09 Sep 2010, 00:56 »

A new Fortress? You're just gonna let the goblins win? Reclaim your Fortress... RECLAIM YOUR HONOR!

(plus it's just awesome knowing that every one of your dwarves are decked out in steel weapons and armor.)

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #183 on: 09 Sep 2010, 20:36 »

My new fortress (which has been built right next to a fuckin' VOLCANO) just suffered its first big event--a massive fucking group of goblin snatchers managed to whisk away a dwarven child from us. A wrestler died in the attack. Welp time to step up defenses.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #184 on: 09 Sep 2010, 23:18 »

I'm absolutely amazed at how effective cage traps are.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #185 on: 10 Sep 2010, 00:17 »

Yeah, but you gotta keep a lot of empty cages stocked up in case all yours get sprung. You also need to place them in a spot that the game recognizes as "outside your fortress", or else whenever a trap is triggered idle dwarves will move to remove the full cage and replace it with an empty one. If the invading force outnumbered your traps, it's a great way to get your fortress slaughtered quickly.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #186 on: 10 Sep 2010, 00:22 »

I'm not sure about megabeasts and other such things, but I think you can capture stuff like dragons in cages. Having a tame dragon chained up in front of your fortress would just be pure awesome.

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #187 on: 10 Sep 2010, 01:39 »

Yeah, thing is my dumb ass put off putting any defenses up until it bit us in the ass (excepting putting a barracks next to the entrance, and I still haven't gotten around to really learning how to make a good army). The main hallway leading to the staircase after the trade depot is only 1 space wide so that will hopefully thin out any snatchers who try to sneak into my fort once it's lined with Stone-Fall traps.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #188 on: 10 Sep 2010, 02:45 »

2 dogs chained in a 3 square hallway will always stop any sneaking bastards, 1 will do most of the time, but isn't 100% safe, as the dog won't bump into snatchers moving along the wall if he hangs out along the other wall. I prefer that to tight hallways since wide hallways has room for more traps.

I know stone-fall traps are cheap and efficient, but does anyone know how they compare to weapon traps? I went for cage traps to begin with in my current fortress, and when I'm finished equipping my recruits with full steel equipment, I'm planning to follow up with large, serrated steel disks in weapon traps behind those cages. I'm not sure if there's any point in getting stone fall traps, as those weapon traps are just around the corner (less than 1 month). On the other hand, the colony has been up for 1,5 years, and I haven't seen a single goblin yet, so perhaps it's about time?

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #189 on: 10 Sep 2010, 03:01 »

A good weapon trap is far superior to a stonefall trap. Stonefalls work once then you have to build the whole trap again. Weapon traps don't require any such nonsense.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #190 on: 14 Sep 2010, 00:18 »

Trials and tribulations of Earthrasp, a giant brown fortress that utilizes the river that its original gorge entrance was carved from. Right now I've got 40 dwarves, one injured in attack and probably as good as dead, currently trying to figure out how to power my pump stack so I can finally set in motion my waterfall in Dwarf Fortress. Goblins attacked, defenses held out, caught 4, killed 2, injured one, other than the one valuable mechanic I lost just a couple valiant but stupid pups, not too shabby for a surprise ambush .

The one goblin that survived ran away bruised and defeated, but so far all I have are automated defenses, need militia and soon. Established huge indoor farming operation, making the fortress completely self sufficiant, except for wood, though it does have a lot of outdoor space. Thinking about installing Arena when my waterfall's finally functional, I want to make it run by Waterwheel power but I don't understand how the waterwheel works at all.

Just gonna show the nifty parts, so not too many photos:

This is the upper level of the outside of the fortress, trading post, kennel, watchtower are all here. My first farm was up here too, didn't do squat.

And then the lower part. I used a natural sort of bowl that had formed by the river and basically just hollowed it out, adding the drawbridge and wall, the big ol' statue garden is where the original little hole in the wall was, though its pretty unrecognizable now. Carved a moat, moat worked really well, better than I was expecting.

This is my farm, which has a section of the moat dug deeper than the rest so that I could irrigate it. Wasn't sure if I would need to again over time so I built the floodgate thingy, which I suppose as a last ditch act could be opened and flood the whole fortress, along with the pump stack I'm making if it ever seems like all hope is lost.

And last my royal dining hall, with the waterfall ready to go, just needing power. Or so I hope, if not then I'll have a very impressive death trap.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #191 on: 14 Sep 2010, 16:20 »

You know how the emissary from the Mountainhomes always butters you up by saying your efforts are legendary back there? I think it's probably true for my current fortress. I imagine dwarfs probably talk sometimes about the legendary wealth of Waywardcrypts, where the screw pumps and weapon traps are made from silver because it's cheaper and more plentiful than bronze or iron. Where the dwarves dine every night on Elephant biscuits in the Hall of the Hammer, and sing songs of the Cleaning Lenses, the mighty militia of Waywardcrypts, and especially their ferocious leader Urith Tongueponds, who once slew a Tigerman single-handed armed only with her own son.

It's ludicrous how this one is working out. Scouring multiple z-levels I've found like one small vein of tetrahedrite and a couple of bismuthinite inclusions. I have also found, and I'm not shitting hear, pretty much three whole z-levels made of native gold. There was platinum and diamonds literally just sticking out the fucking ground in front of me when I embarked.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #192 on: 14 Sep 2010, 18:07 »

Damn, I haven't so much as found silver this time around, just fucktons of chert sometimes laced with either kaolinite or limonite. Little bit of bituminous coal, but yeah my fortress is mostly known for the roughly 100k I can put towards the bargaining table in chert stone crafts whenever a caravan rolls through and the somewhat interesting architecture, also given that I like to have a large crew of stone detailers (I think I'm up to 7) just going around and smoothing out and engraving every square inch of the place.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #193 on: 15 Sep 2010, 00:02 »

Yeah. The other main resource I have is looads of gems. I've got one dwarf permanently on cutting them, one on encrusting things with them. Unfortunately their dwarvish proclivities mean I have little control over what they actually encrust, which is why I now have a mahogany training sword worth 1960*, studded with gold, bands of silver, bands of electrum, images in tanzanite and diamond.

Late last night I found me a magma pipe. I'm going to have to put some thinking in to whether I want to set up a glass industry, churn out green glass pumps and bring it up, or just whack in the smelters and kilns down there, and build a second 'deep' section of Waywardcrypts. The other possibility is a Magma Piston. I have already built a similiar mechanism designed to destroy the stairwell into the depths in case a Forgotten Beast manages to penetrated the UnderFortress. 

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #194 on: 15 Sep 2010, 22:43 »

I've discovered in-game quote tunnels guys.

"Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of Cerol Merchantconfine the dwarf by Cerol Asmelkacoth. Cerol Merchantconfine is engraving. The artwork refers to the masterful engraving 'The Murky Fortunes' created by the dwarf Cerol Merchantconfine for The Long Knife at Earthrasp in the late winter of 617."

Looked up the other drawing, its about another engraving he did. What a self-important little prick.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #195 on: 16 Sep 2010, 02:40 »

I've got a butcher/cook that's churning out masterpiece meals all the time. Half the engravings in my fortress is about food.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #196 on: 16 Sep 2010, 21:29 »

I read somewhere that gold and silver make some of the most effective blunt weapons vs. fleshy things (humans/goblins/kobolds.) 

I managed to flood my last two fortress because I wasn't paying attention to my miner when he was digging some stairwells.  With my current fortress I managed to bore straight into a cavern within the first season, and I lost my primary miner to a blind ogre.  I killed the damn ogre and walled off a section of the cavern so now I have plenty of farmland and I have fungiwood and Tower caps popping up here and there.  I would like to see about finding a way to set up some kind of farm for cave spiders, but I'm not sure about how to do it.  I should get around to my military and setting up traps.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #197 on: 17 Sep 2010, 05:08 »

Silver is by far the best blunt weapon material.  Gold is better used else where.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #198 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:13 »

You can't even make gold into weapons iirc.

ackblom12

« Reply #199 on: 17 Sep 2010, 06:46 »

A dwarf in a strange mood can make gold or Platinum into a weapon, but I'm not sure how ridiculously low the chances of him picking gold and weaponsmithing would be.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up