THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Jul 2024, 16:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The lost games thread  (Read 11342 times)

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
The lost games thread
« on: 11 Aug 2008, 16:21 »

So way back when I was a wee lad there was this game that my dad or uncle got me. It was a game about the (probably rather fantasized, but I cannot remember it very well) mafia. I think it had a top-down perspective and I remember the tutorial having an explosives expert and all that shit, and the graphics were absolutely horrible. It was a PC game (definitely Windows) and that's basically all I remember.

I know this an absolutely shitty thread, but my OCD will not let this topic rest (I have thought about this game quite literally for at least eight years). I assume that I will probably never find this game, but maybe somebody can recommend games of a little style and genre?
« Last Edit: 11 Aug 2008, 18:15 by Vendetagainst »
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
Re: Can't find this old mob game...
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2008, 16:27 »

Holy fucking shit, yes! Thank you, thank you ever so much.
Or at least maybe, it certainly looks like it.
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2008, 16:53 »

sweet, thanks. I bought an $8 used copy (that's with shipping :lol:) on Amazon.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2008, 17:41 »

Now that this thread has fulfilled its initial purpose, I am jackin' it.

Okay, so a long time ago (mid-90s) I had a demo of a game. It was basically a 3D point-and-click game. Not in the Lucasarts sense, per se, the viewpoint changed, but you clicked on things and the PC would interact with them. I'm pretty sure the characters were 3D models. Anyway, it was set in a sci-fi universe, and there are only a couple of things I remember about it. Your character wore sunglasses (I didn't want to overwhelm you with detail here), and in the demo there were a couple of things you could do. Next to your ship htere were barrels of some sort of black viscous liquid. If you dipped your hand in it once, you were fine. If you did it more than once, it would burn you and you would die. Probably a more interesting and telling thing that happened was you ended up alone in a room with a female character. Her boyfriend / husband / whatever is watching you through cameras. She basically throws herself at you. If you kiss her, the other dude gets pissed and sends enemies after you (the combat was thus: you hid behind something and had to point and shoot at enemies in the background) if you don't kiss her, you can go about your business unmolested by dudes with guns.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I just can't remember for the life of me what it was called, and I really dug that demo. I want to think it had a name like "Deadalus Encounter" (that's not the game I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure) in that it had a greek name + "Encounter" or "Incident" or somesuch.

Halllllp
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2008, 18:03 »

This is now the find that old video game that you loved as a child but can't remember the name of it anymore thread.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
Re: The lost games thread
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2008, 18:15 »

fix'd

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2008, 18:19 »

o/
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2008, 21:34 »

There was this one game I played where you ran through these crazy worlds with blocks and stuff. The clouds had smiley faces I think? You had to jump on most of the bad guys to kill them, but you could also throw fireballs if you got the right thing. You had to eat mushrooms and you got really big? Ugh I can't remember it for the life of me.
Hate, rain on me

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2008, 21:36 »

You ass. :roll:

Fletch

« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2008, 01:58 »

CH ... looking for Sonic? But I don't know anything about mushrooms. :roll:

I'm trying to find a really old 2d flight game, side scrolling, where you had to choose a plane & payload then shoot down other planes and ships & stuff. If you went close enough to the ground, it would zoom in (still 2d side-scrolling) & you could try to destroy things ... I vaguely remember crashing into the ground/trees/other. There was a fuel limit, ammo limit, "life" limit & at the time I thought it was frustratingly hard. No idea why I want to revisit it on a computer that's probably 1000 times too fast ... but maybe someone can help me. :)
Additionally, any scrolling windows shoot-em ups with an inventory, upgrade or shop system.

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2008, 22:49 »

Mario, much?

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2008, 10:24 »

Man, I had Star Trek: Tactical Assault for the DS.  Excellent game.  Even my non Trekkie friends liked it enough to buy it.  As a habit, I leave my DS and games at my parents home during the school semester. My lil brother, who as his own DS, went into my room, located the games, took TA, then lost it, but hold to the claim that he put it back in my room, on my dresser.  Why couldnt he put it back in its case?

This is the second DS game he has lost.  It saddens me greatly.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2008, 11:01 »

Mario, much?

No, that's not it, I played Mario at a friend's house once, I think and I'm pretty sure it was a flying game.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2008, 16:22 »

There was a game on... don't remember, but it was a windows computer, pre-95, I think it came installed, though I could be wrong on that part. It was a shooting game, you had a plane or a spaceship or something like that, and the map was a grid, with blocks around which you navigated, though you couldn't crash into them. The object was to shoot all of the other planes/ships/aliens without getting hit yourself, does anyone know what it was?
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Fletch

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2008, 00:20 »

No, that's not it, I played Mario at a friend's house once, I think and I'm pretty sure it was a flying game.
At least someone "got it".

Leinad

« Reply #15 on: 15 Aug 2008, 14:33 »

*leinad feels very gullible...*

Anyways, there was this game, aways back, can't remember what it was called.. I think I was 4 when I first played it. It was on a floppy that my dad brought home from IBM. It was kinda wierd, with dinosaurs and books and stuff. Anyone know what I am talking about?

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #16 on: 15 Aug 2008, 17:05 »

Wait. Were there talking dinosaurs in it, and the big bad was a T-Rex you had to defeat with musical instruments? And there was a mute jailer in your castle? If so, I remember that one, but for the life of me I cannot remember its name. That's going to annoy me for ages now.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Leinad

« Reply #17 on: 15 Aug 2008, 17:18 »

Dude, yeah! That's the one. I don't know if I ever knew the name of it, I was 4. But I loved it, and I blame it for my computer nerdery.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #18 on: 15 Aug 2008, 17:39 »

Lost Eden.

Man that was hard to find. I still have this game hiding somewhere. I think it was the first CD-ROM game I ever owned.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

Leinad

« Reply #19 on: 15 Aug 2008, 18:12 »

Hmm, upon looking at it, it may not be it, I really do not remember much about it at all, just that I would spend hours on it.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #20 on: 16 Aug 2008, 07:46 »

A game I just thought of, due to this thread.  Maybe late 90s, no later than 2000.  PC game.  Giant (green?) robot, run around a city shooting and blowing stuff up.  I remember the demo had like a highway that you run down, and end up kicking cars around.  Fully 3D.  IIRC, the robot was kind of disproportionate.  (Think the big boxer from old looney tunes, big torso, big arms, little legs)  But I could be way off.

Edit: found it.  Slave Zero was the name, and it doesn't work on XP or Vista.... yay...
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2008, 08:10 by Statik »
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Leinad

« Reply #21 on: 16 Aug 2008, 11:00 »

If anyone has a copy of Kohan: Immortal Soverigns (first or second, I don't care) please tell me! I will totally take that off of your hands.

bbqrocks

« Reply #22 on: 18 Aug 2008, 00:00 »

I was thinking about all the old games I used to play, and I thought of one and thought to myself 'haha, I can remember the name of that' and then I realized I couldn't.

Basically, you are this little green thing and all your friends are stolen by a whale, or something along that line.

It's an old arcade game, I think, but I only ever played a rom of it.

Nodaisho

« Reply #23 on: 18 Aug 2008, 01:35 »

A game I just thought of, due to this thread.  Maybe late 90s, no later than 2000.  PC game.  Giant (green?) robot, run around a city shooting and blowing stuff up.  I remember the demo had like a highway that you run down, and end up kicking cars around.  Fully 3D.  IIRC, the robot was kind of disproportionate.  (Think the big boxer from old looney tunes, big torso, big arms, little legs)  But I could be way off.

Edit: found it.  Slave Zero was the name, and it doesn't work on XP or Vista.... yay...
There is probably a way to get it to work, googling should turn up some way to emulate an earlier version of windows. I could swear I found a way to emulate 98 on accident.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #24 on: 18 Aug 2008, 07:53 »

My father had, way back, a game for the 95/98. You played a wizard that was able to summon different kinds of creatures. The game world was seen from above, kinda diabloish perspective. You, as the wizard, or your creatures, had to find these mana pools, and you regained mana by standing on them. I can't remember that name at all. I do remember that you had to choose some specific items before you started a battle map, to choose what spells to cast. Chain lightning was made out of own. There was a story-driven campaign, but I didn't read English at the time, so that was lost to me. Anyone?
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

ackblom12

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #26 on: 18 Aug 2008, 21:49 »

There is probably a way to get it to work, googling should turn up some way to emulate an earlier version of windows. I could swear I found a way to emulate 98 on accident.

Even setting it to compatibility mode in Vista doesnt work (unlike in XP, compatibility mode works more than never).  Seriously any more effort than that is more of a pain in the ass then how good the game is to begin with.  I mean the throwing cars at stuff part is fun, but its a relatively simple game, it gets boring.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Sylens21

« Reply #27 on: 18 Aug 2008, 22:16 »

I had this game once for the NES where you were a little elf-wizard thing, and you had to make your way through these dungeons that were basically tall blocks in each room, and you had to grab the key in each room, get out, fight some monsters, etc.  Obviously I can't remember the name, but I've been wanting to play that game again for such a long time.  It was way rad.

Edit: I found it.  It was called Solstice.  I need a good emulator and a ROM of that.  That game was awesome.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2008, 23:03 by Sylens21 »

Leinad

« Reply #28 on: 18 Aug 2008, 22:35 »

My father had, way back, a game for the 95/98. You played a wizard that was able to summon different kinds of creatures. The game world was seen from above, kinda diabloish perspective. You, as the wizard, or your creatures, had to find these mana pools, and you regained mana by standing on them. I can't remember that name at all. I do remember that you had to choose some specific items before you started a battle map, to choose what spells to cast. Chain lightning was made out of own. There was a story-driven campaign, but I didn't read English at the time, so that was lost to me. Anyone?

That is one of the Might and Magic games, it kicked ass. Cannot remember which one.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #29 on: 19 Aug 2008, 09:37 »

Sacrifice?

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/sacrifice/review.html

and
That is one of the Might and Magic games, it kicked ass. Cannot remember which one.

Both wrong. Wasn't Sacrifice, and I would have remembered it if it was M&M, since those I played kicked ass. Seriously, number 6-8 was all brilliant.

Sacrifice sounded really similar, if more complicated. But you just had to kill the enemy wizard, and you won. And I cannot remember building any structures at all, you only had units and mana pools placed around the map. Mabye some items and stuff, in chests? The map was quite lush, lots'a buildings and trees and stuff everywhere. Google dosen't help me.

Leinad

« Reply #30 on: 19 Aug 2008, 12:22 »

God, I know the game you are talking about, I played it for awhile, it was amazing. But if it is not one of the really early Might and Magic ones I don't know.

Nodaisho

« Reply #31 on: 19 Aug 2008, 21:57 »

I think I might have heard of that game, but I can't remember it either. Now it is going to bug me, and I know it isn't a simple title that will just come to me.

Fletch

« Reply #32 on: 20 Aug 2008, 01:54 »

Was it Age of Wonder?

Dal

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #33 on: 22 Aug 2008, 19:41 »

There was one game, ages ago... You were a black orb which had to get to the end of a relatively small and square area after completing a number of puzzling tasks. I remember the background being most a photo-extracted brick texture most of the time, and the game used a password system for different levels. I offer love to anyone who can direct me to it.
"Did you just grab my ass? No? Why not?"

Sylens21

« Reply #34 on: 23 Aug 2008, 05:01 »

There was one game, ages ago... You were a black orb which had to get to the end of a relatively small and square area after completing a number of puzzling tasks. I remember the background being most a photo-extracted brick texture most of the time, and the game used a password system for different levels. I offer love to anyone who can direct me to it.

You remember what system it was for?

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #35 on: 23 Aug 2008, 06:40 »

Was it Age of Wonder?

Nope.

On the good side, some of the games presented matching the description of the game looks quite interesting. I might check em out.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #36 on: 23 Aug 2008, 11:22 »

Marble Madness

Edit: No wait, that's not what you're describing, but its still an awesome game.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2008, 11:28 by Boro_Bandito »

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #37 on: 23 Aug 2008, 13:46 »

Oxyd. Hells of badass game.
Pages: [1]   Go Up