THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hannelore??  (Read 48728 times)

Sooozie

Hannelore??
« on: 11 Aug 2008, 21:53 »

Is she four or what?!  I really do love this comic but if Jeph doesn't move off of this childish storyline I may have to bail.  I get that she has problems, I get that she had a bad childhood, but a "worry hat?"  Why don't you have one of the characters get knocked up so there's a REAL child to feature?  Sorry Jeph...it's just a little too weird.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
Re: Hannelore??
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2008, 21:54 »

I am striking you from my will.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2008, 22:04 »

Is she four or what?!  I really do love this comic but if Jeph doesn't move off of this childish storyline I may have to bail.  I get that she has problems, I get that she had a bad childhood, but a "worry hat?"  Why don't you have one of the characters get knocked up so there's a REAL child to feature?  Sorry Jeph...it's just a little too weird.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

WriterofAllWrongs

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2008, 22:55 »

yeah jeph, do another comic about penises or we're all going to leave.  we don't come here for substance you know.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2008, 23:12 »

The hat probably worked because Marten was showing concern for her and it made her feel better temporarily, that she wasn't alone with her worries. The hat will serve as a reminder that there are people in her life now that care about her and she isn't just some strange lonely socially-awkward neat-freak girl any more, she is a neat-freak girl with friends that she can turn to when she has problems.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2008, 23:13 »

Also, why the fuck am I answering this thread seriously Jesus what is wrong with me AUGH.

Minineko

• Not quite a lurker
  • is a green cat
« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2008, 23:19 »

I interpreted it as it stopped her from worrying becuase it distracted her.
Meow.

kifsteve

• Plantmonster
« Reply #7 on: 11 Aug 2008, 23:19 »

BAN HAT ENGAGE

himynameisjulien

« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2008, 23:24 »

This is not some shitty soap opera (down here it's "telenovela"), so I don't think having one of the characters get knocked up would solve all problems. I see no problems anyways. Hannelore happens to be my favorite character as well, just because of her un-typical-ness. If you want generic storylines, read a crappy romance novel.*
You say that Hannelore is acting childish and it's "a little too weird". What would any type of entertainment be if it were all stale and "normal" and if all characters were the same? "Hi." "Hi." "What's up?" "Not much. You?" "Not much. I'm going to play Halo. 'Night" "'Night".
*I'm not saying all romance novels are crappy, but that there are some/many.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2008, 00:11 »

This telenovela talk gives me an idea for a one-off strip complete with corny dialouge.

Scene:  Marten & Faye's
Players:  Marten, Dora, Pintsize
Pannel 1
Dora:  Marten, I have dreadful news to tell you.
Marten:  What is it my love?
Pannel 2
Dora:  Marten, I am with child.
Marten:  I'm going to be a father!
Dora:  No Marten, it is not your child.
Pannel 3
Marten:  (enraged) You whore!  Who is this man that will father my ex-girlfrend's child?
Dora:  It was... Pintsize.
Pannel 4
Marten:  Pintsize?  But how...
Pintsize:  (inturrupts) That's right buddy!  I QWERTYd that all night!

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2008, 01:38 »

Oh god, thats so funny mustang. I would like to illustrate it.

Also, more on topic. I don't know what you know about psychology Sooozie, but simple objects like the worry hat can calm people down. Hannelore has a severe case of OCD and probably some other psychological problems. Marten showed he cared that she was worried. Yes it was childish, but just because she is a grown woman does not mean she cannot smile over something so simple.

When I was young my mother used to have "monster spray" that turned "monsters" into pennies. So whenever I'd get scared of "monsters" she'd go in the room, spray it and put several pennies on the ground. It was a neat little trick to calm me down.

Marten's worry hat is quite the same. It wasn't the idea of the worry hat that calmed her down, it was the fact that Marten cared. Also, about her crying over hitting her head on the cabinet. The woman had blood running down her face. I know a few grown men who would cry if they hit their head that hard.

Also, how many people on the forum were like "cool a worry hat!" Things like that can be ok even if you're an adult.

And frankly, if you're going to stop reading the comic because you think a few strips are stupid. . . then ok, bye. . . no one is going to try and stop you.
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2008, 01:46 by britMonster »
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2008, 04:32 »

Many grown people rely on simple objects as talismans for psychological protection.  Who among us has not had a "lucky" object at one point or another?  I myself have a number of rituals and objects that I always carry out or have with me when I go out into the fields to carry out some "long distance landscaping". 

The presence of such objects/rituals is indicative of "magical" thinking, but at our hearts humans are still the primitive creatures, jumping at what might be the sounds of the wolf in the dark and clutching at that special rock or branch tht will keep us safe.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

ifoundmystar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Oh, I was surprised to see you there!
    • Girl, whats yo MySpace?
« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2008, 06:02 »

Maybe you should shut it. And if you don't like where the comic is going, stop reading it. I mean, like, now-ish. Maybe you should just get knocked up to fill up your free time, no?

(not to be mean, but seriously. stop bitching)

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2008, 18:20 »

Maybe if you read the original post properly instead of lashing out in a huff you'd realise that the poster said he loves the comic, but dislikes the current arc.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2008, 20:03 »

The thing I have never understood is "If you don't like it, stop reading it."

How would you know if you liked it if you stopped reading it I mean come on.
Hate, rain on me

beforeverlost

« Reply #15 on: 12 Aug 2008, 22:15 »

Personally. I'm a big fan of Hanners.
She is basically the female version of one of my best friends.

All that's missing is a comic with Hannelore sleeping in a bath tub with some stuffed animals..  :lol:

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #16 on: 13 Aug 2008, 10:47 »

Oh god Roxie, I love your avatar. =)
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505

HellStorm

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #17 on: 13 Aug 2008, 12:08 »

Yeah, Jeph makes an alternate comic that cuts out all the childish stuff.
Hit Alt+F4 and it takes you directly to it
I highly recommend it  :wink:
« Last Edit: 13 Aug 2008, 18:15 by HellStorm »

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #18 on: 13 Aug 2008, 12:16 »

All that's missing is a comic with Hannelore sleeping in a bath tub with some stuffed animals.

Oh man, that would be awesome.

As for the purpose of this thread: ...I agree with everyone else for the most part.

HellStorm

« Reply #19 on: 13 Aug 2008, 18:56 »

This telenovela talk gives me an idea for a one-off strip complete with corny dialouge.

Scene:  Marten & Faye's
Players:  Marten, Dora, Pintsize
Pannel 1
Dora:  Marten, I have dreadful news to tell you.
Marten:  What is it my love?
Pannel 2
Dora:  Marten, I am with child.
Marten:  I'm going to be a father!
Dora:  No Marten, it is not your child.
Pannel 3
Marten:  (enraged) You whore!  Who is this man that will father my ex-girlfrend's child?
Dora:  It was... Pintsize.
Pannel 4
Marten:  Pintsize?  But how...
Pintsize:  (inturrupts) That's right buddy!  I QWERTYd that all night!
[img width= height=]http://i519.photobucket.com/albums/u359/Braydra/Untitled.jpg[/img]

I apologise for my poor attempt. =/

TheSilentWolf

« Reply #20 on: 13 Aug 2008, 19:32 »

HellStorm gets I have nothing of value to add. cookies.

EDIT: The FUCK? I was trying to give the dude a coockie, you douche.
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2008, 12:48 by TheSilentWolf »

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #21 on: 13 Aug 2008, 20:06 »

I think it adds something that it's a pre-60 Pintsize.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #22 on: 13 Aug 2008, 20:19 »

I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

HellStorm

« Reply #23 on: 14 Aug 2008, 05:46 »

Yeah I kinda just clicked random until I came up with an image of Pintsize  :-P

You Are Brahman!

• Plantmonster
    • Rumbelow
« Reply #24 on: 14 Aug 2008, 09:26 »

...but a "worry hat?"...it's just a little too weird.

The fact that she didn't grow up on the planet earth or that her father would mail her a robotic boyfriend is okay with you, but a relatively common style of coping method is "too weird?"

It seems you are the minority in your opinion here.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #25 on: 14 Aug 2008, 17:13 »

I think that it's been covered pretty comprehensively at this point.

Jim789

« Reply #26 on: 14 Aug 2008, 21:22 »

Hrmm i've advoided using this forum for years, i've been reading the comic for a long time.

But something Hanners said in the last comic was very wrong.

Blood does not carry pathogens, it is sterile. Very clean (usually) when it is carrying pathogens that person is septic and in trouble!

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #27 on: 14 Aug 2008, 21:24 »

well no, blood still contains pathogens, otherwise it would not need leukocytes.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #28 on: 14 Aug 2008, 22:45 »

This is important and will be covered in any first aid class. There are some all-too-common bloodborne pathogens like hepatitis, and some really scary ones like HIV. See http://www.pp.okstate.edu/ehs/modules/bbp/index.htm or other resources. Blood banks need to be really careful not to let anything infectious into their inventory: that's why they ask if you've had a cold or flu recently.

Now, avoiding your own blood is a little over the top... But blood is anything but sterile.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Jim789

« Reply #29 on: 14 Aug 2008, 23:46 »

Blood is a sterile site, as is most of your inards. Your gastinotenstinal tract is not, you have normal flora, also your skin has normal flora.

White blood cells are in your blood at all times, and are transfered around the body to sites that need them... like a wound or infection, or a virus etc.
Blood pathogens such as hepatitis i didnt think about, so vriuses could be there... but when would hanners have gotten something like hepatatis or HIV?

Any bacteria or fungus in blood will and always will be bad.

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #30 on: 15 Aug 2008, 05:19 »

You can get Hepatitis-A from eating poorly-prepared food. Assuming that Hanners doesn't prepare all of the food she eats (ie: she occasionally goes to a restaurant, especially when her mother is visiting), she could conceivably have Hep-A.

File this one under 'theoretically possible, but really, wtf?'
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2008, 05:28 »

You're all making this way too complicated. Hanners has OCD, which means that she has fears of things that may not actually exist in reality, like germs (pathogens) in her blood. OCD is not a rational thing. You'll notice that none of the other characters seemed concerned when she said her blood had pathogens in it.

I'm sort of wondering where the cop storyline was going to go. I guess Dora scared him away?

MissZahrah

« Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2008, 09:49 »

Horray for hydrogen peroxide!  :lol:

rrirwin

« Reply #33 on: 16 Aug 2008, 06:08 »

If you go back and reread what she said, it says, "Not blood. It's scary and it carries pathogens." She wasn't talking about her own blood specifically. It's just that she worries about blood in general. which is due to her OCD.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #34 on: 16 Aug 2008, 10:58 »

or it could just be that she doesn't like blood and that her OCD is only a secondary factor in it.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #35 on: 16 Aug 2008, 12:48 »

Worst person I ever knew around blood was a medic that used to be in my unit. 

She used to throw up when she saw people bleeding badly.  Made looking after the troops somewhat difficult when they got injured.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

XFDDave

« Reply #36 on: 17 Aug 2008, 02:44 »

Oh man, talk about taking on the wrong job.

Man-Eating Eggplant

« Reply #37 on: 17 Aug 2008, 06:17 »

That's not too bad. What if there was a guy that took a job getting stung by bees and he's allergic to bees?

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #38 on: 17 Aug 2008, 08:16 »

Oh man, talk about taking on the wrong job.

Being given the wrong job, more like.  In the military, it's less "What job would you like?" and more "Here's a job.  Like it."  Although they do try to make sure the job is suited to your aptitudes and tastes.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #39 on: 17 Aug 2008, 10:01 »

Actually there is an aptitude test before you enroll - to help decide if you have the smarts/common sense to do the job you've signed up for.  In the Cdn military, you choose three "trades" you're interested in (ranked from most desired to least) and if you fit the aptitude for them, then they will try to accomodate you by putting you where you want to go.  Being a volunteer military means we would rather have people doing jobs they want to do, increases performance.

Back on topic Hanners isn't having an unusual reaction to blood or injury, even for someone without OCD.  I'm still not sure why people where thinking that her reaction was over the top.

ifoundmystar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Oh, I was surprised to see you there!
    • Girl, whats yo MySpace?
« Reply #40 on: 17 Aug 2008, 15:37 »

That's not too bad. What if there was a guy that took a job getting stung by bees and he's allergic to bees?

That would be a horrible idea. Whether he knew he was allergic or not. I mean, ouch. For real.

bbqrocks

« Reply #41 on: 17 Aug 2008, 16:47 »

Ya, that's not really a job is it. Unless your some kinda wierd (and I mean really wierd) fetish prostitute.

kamusik

« Reply #42 on: 17 Aug 2008, 21:18 »

come on, hanners is awesome! if jeph dropped her ocd storyline from the comic i would be disappointed

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #43 on: 17 Aug 2008, 21:20 »

Yay, I finally have the oppurtunity to mention this!

Man-Eating Eggplant

« Reply #44 on: 17 Aug 2008, 21:34 »

Ya, that's not really a job is it. Unless your some kinda wierd (and I mean really wierd) fetish prostitute.

You never know. You could get hired by a beekeeper who wants his bees to get some excercise.

Flex the stinger, kind of thing.

Ipskaya

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #45 on: 18 Aug 2008, 10:29 »

I don't think Hannelore's reaction was unusual or over-the-top, though I do find it kind of odd for her character that she never learned how to clean blood, especially since she can clean vomit. I don't know much about OCD, but I'd think it would make her want to learn how to clean EVERYTHING. Did she just throw away any panties that got a blood stain on them from a period? I'd think she'd learn how to deal with blood somewhat given that she's a female. (I know that she's on birth control, but as far as I know, there aren't any birth control pills that stop a period entirely.) Besides, she's dealt with blood before without having a major freak-out. (I know that a freak-out is justified in the latest case because there was a lot more blood and the injury was more severe, but she seemed freaked out at just the fact that there was blood also.)

Today's strip is kind of over-the-top, though. I think Jeph is taking the Hanners-acts-like-freaked-out-child thing a little too far. She just had a major freak-out; let's move on.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2008, 11:29 by Ipskaya »

celloface

« Reply #46 on: 18 Aug 2008, 11:36 »

I have to agree with the original post's basic point:

When did Hannelore become so gullible?

Ever since her pregnancy "scare" I've been wondering where and when she lost her common sense. Possibly the most interesting character has become nothing more than panic-induced comic relief.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #47 on: 18 Aug 2008, 13:15 »

There was definitely a character personality shift in our Hanners. When she was introduced in strip 515, she was a self-confident, young woman who had no problem with confronting a drunk guy in the women's room pissing in the sink in which her OCD was dictating that she wash her hands. The OCD kept getting supplemented with other behaviours. The making of the voodoo doll for Marten at 546 showed a less confident Hannelore. The bunnysuited cleaning at 556 showed a more profound OCD. And it just keeps snowballing. She's quit smoking, but she still has the multiple ear piercings, but since 1175, her hair's just obscured her ears.

I think the visit from her mother may have accelerated her self-infantilism. While I do think the current Hannelore who can't cope with a minor scalp laceration and who goes catatonic when informed of the reason she shouldn't play drums in a mid-thigh skirt is hyper cute, on the verge of being kawai, I'd like to see her make some breakthroughs in coping with her OCD with her therapist, like Faye is.

This is completely the pot calling the kettle soot-stained, being 35 going on 16 myself, but I just think that more mature young women who are capable of voluntarily acting responsibly immature are sexier than truly immature young women.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Tropylium

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #48 on: 18 Aug 2008, 13:27 »

Without going into her general portrayal as of late: dust mites, book lice and book scorpions exist, why couldn't book spiders? The answer is because paper dust can't uphold THAT much of an ecosystem, but hey, someone afraid of all sorts of dirty things — like anything out in the public — could pretty plausibly buy the idea of book spiders, especially from a library authority. Bibliodons sound a bit too silly, I admit.  :-P

We would also have to assume she's never been to a (major, public) library before, more than cursorily at least… just HOW sheltered is she?

Frank Castle

« Reply #49 on: 18 Aug 2008, 13:35 »

ANGRY READER IS ANGRY.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up