THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 21:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why don't people like The Warlocks  (Read 2761 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
why don't people like The Warlocks
« on: 24 Aug 2008, 02:23 »

I had heard one Warlocks song on last.fm and loved it, and noticed they were opening for Black Angels on a recent tour, and since Black Angels fucking slay, thought I'd pick up their third(?) album, Surgery, since I saw it used for $6 today.

I listened to it all night, and was really impressed by the beautiful new-gaze arrangements.  Half the album reminds me of that blissful feeling you get from songs like "Crimson and Clover" or, to be more current, anything by Slowdive.

So I was wondering, why haven't I heard anyone on here, or anywhere else, talk about them?

A casual glance at record review sites indicates that people think they are horrible!  Pitchfork, whose opinion I don't trust but which usually gives a score which is no more than a couple points off, gave Surgery a 1.7.  A 1.7!  And an incredibly scathing review!  Usually they save that for bands like Jet and Louis XIV, who deserve it, but this band?  These guys and girl are really pleasant and I don't really get why nobody seems to like them.   :?

I'm going to put the album in question in the mediafire thread so we can get to the bottom of this.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: why don't people like The Warlocks
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2008, 03:39 »

It's Pitchfork, best ignore the reviews and move on to the "news", features and p4k.tv. Although, I must admit, I agree with the review of Snowman's latest album. I implore veryone to check these guys out, they are a brilliant Australian band.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2008, 04:10 »

Abum is up.

Seriousl guys check it out.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Aug 2008, 08:04 »

I think maybe the vocals don't quite fit right or the lyrics are just there, but not really necessary? It's a bit of an effort to listen to, which in itself isn't a bad thing. I think it works better as background music, where it works really well. There are a couple of really great sounding tracks in there though, Thursday's Radiation and Above Earth.

B, would listen to again.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #4 on: 24 Aug 2008, 12:02 »

I am really in love with "Angels In Heaven, Angels In Hell" and "Evil Eyes Again".

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Aug 2008, 14:16 »

You probably know how difficult a time I have shutting the fuck up about The Brian Jonestown Massacre, and when I found out that these guys are sort of their cousins I was excited to listen.

Unfortunately, the first record I picked up by them was Heavy Deavy Skull Lover, which is even more work to listen to. It's by far the weakest record of theirs I've heard, and put me off them for a while.

I grabbed your link from the Mediafire thread and this album is actually pretty fantastic so far. Thanks!
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Beast

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #6 on: 25 Aug 2008, 14:27 »

Good album, thanks for the link. Pitchfork can eat a dick.
I had two cars but I wrecked em.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #7 on: 25 Aug 2008, 14:57 »

For real, that was one of the worst-written reviews I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I'm contemplating sending the author an email which goes something like..

"You imbecilic, dick-brained fuckstain- just because you can string together cheap, obvious jabs at Guitar Center patrons with poorly researched cultural references and pepper your writing with terms like "assclown" to make yourself look clever does not mean you are a music critic. Your review reads like a fucking Ashton Kutcher movie. It also epitomizes entirely missing the point. Your insufferable, pretentious writing works against you in guaranteeing that no sane reader will ever take your bullshit seriously. Go listen to Vampire Weekend and fuck yourself with a rake."

.. but he'd probably just copy and paste it into his next review.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2008, 15:06 »

All sorts of people like The Warlocks. Me, for example. One other person I know, for a second example.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Beast

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #9 on: 25 Aug 2008, 21:53 »

For real, that was one of the worst-written reviews I've ever had the displeasure of reading. I'm contemplating sending the author an email which goes something like..

"You imbecilic, dick-brained fuckstain- just because you can string together cheap, obvious jabs at Guitar Center patrons with poorly researched cultural references and pepper your writing with terms like "assclown" to make yourself look clever does not mean you are a music critic. Your review reads like a fucking Ashton Kutcher movie. It also epitomizes entirely missing the point. Your insufferable, pretentious writing works against you in guaranteeing that no sane reader will ever take your bullshit seriously. Go listen to Vampire Weekend and fuck yourself with a rake."

.. but he'd probably just copy and paste it into his next review.

SEND THAT EMAIL
I had two cars but I wrecked em.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #10 on: 25 Aug 2008, 22:10 »

Man, the more I listen to this album the more I love it.  I listened to it all night at work today.  It just keeps getting better - at this point I think it's honestly one of the best things I've picked up in the past year.

The last four+ minutes, the "hidden track" at the end of "Suicide Note", are fucking insane.  Turn that shit way up and it's like, WHOAH, DUUUUUUDE.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 28 Aug 2008, 02:58 »

Oh hey. These guys are touring Australia in October. Maybe I will see them.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up