AMAZING BOOOOOOOK
- 12 (10.1%)
Stephenie Meyer is a GENIUS
- 4 (3.4%)
You're all wanks
- 103 (86.6%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Twilight Series  (Read 180928 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Twilight Series
« Reply #600 on: 26 Jan 2009, 15:42 »

The series makes me sad as I'm named Edward. When people (mostly girls younger than me) find this out, they're all like, "OMG U MEEN LIEK EDWARD CULLEN I LUV U" and it gets really old, really fast.

Because "Edward" is such an uncommon name.

I mean, I can't count the number of times people have been "OH LIKE JACKIE CHAN!!!!!!!!" to me.

Literally, because you can't count zero.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #601 on: 26 Jan 2009, 15:46 »

Well, some names do draw more attention than others. For example, I have a friend named Lola and she's been getting shit about it her entire life. It didn't get any better once everyone was old enough to partake in drunken karoake nights either. I'm pretty sure Ray Davies would be in mortal danger were they ever to meet.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Zingoleb

« Reply #602 on: 26 Jan 2009, 16:01 »

That's it, I'm going by my middle name. Ashley...

But I will start cracking skulls once I get Evil Dead references.

And as for Lola...poor girl... :| It's not even a flattering song.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #603 on: 26 Jan 2009, 16:02 »

My cousin nicknamed me Lola because of that song when I was 12 and didn't know any better. It also stuck. Hooray for me.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #604 on: 26 Jan 2009, 16:10 »

And as for Lola...poor girl... :| It's not even a flattering song.

Actually it's a very flattering song (and an awesome one); it's just that it's about a transvestite that would probably put the girl off.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
  • prisencolinensinainciusol
« Reply #605 on: 26 Jan 2009, 21:43 »

"OMG U MEEN LIEK EDWARD CULLEN I LUV U"

Does this actually happen?  You can be honest with us.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #606 on: 27 Jan 2009, 01:17 »

The series makes me sad as I'm named Edward. When people (mostly girls younger than me) find this out, they're all like, "OMG U MEEN LIEK EDWARD CULLEN I LUV U" and it gets really old, really fast.

You'd have to be either fuck-stupid or ridiculously obsessed to actually connect those two sorts of things together =P I'd watch who you hang with Zingo XDDD

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #607 on: 27 Jan 2009, 15:46 »

That's it, I'm going by my middle name. Ashley...

But I will start cracking skulls once I get Evil Dead references.
Sounds groovy to me.

My friend named his cat bella, but he likes the books, so he did it intentionally. He refuses to call the Bella sisters in Resident Evil 4 (the chainsaw ladies) by their name, as well. Of course, I give him no end of shit for it.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #608 on: 27 Jan 2009, 18:19 »

guys this is getting retarded

edward and bella are both extremely common names in various parts of the world

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #609 on: 27 Jan 2009, 18:23 »

Over the past couple of weeks, I got a few Twilight fans into Hellsing via the OVAs. They absolutely love it, awesome.

Of course, they compared Alucard to Edward a lot, at first. Until we hit the third OVA and it became apparent that Alucard is essentially a neutral party that just happens to be under the employ of the good guys.

Haha, Twilight fans!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #610 on: 27 Jan 2009, 18:37 »

i don't know a single person who is a fan of twilight

i never even heard of it until the movie

based on this i am absolutely certain it is stupid

just like i knew napoleon dynamite was stupid even before i watched it

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #611 on: 27 Jan 2009, 18:55 »

I kind of know what you mean.

I have found evidence of a wider movement in support of Twilight, but I personally only know a few fans, restricted to the female population. But perhaps that's just Australia, which tends to get a lighter dose of most cultural obsessions.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #612 on: 27 Jan 2009, 19:22 »

Comparing Edward to Alucard is hilarious. I mean, Hellsing is basically a batshit insane anime modeled after a batshit insane manga which exists largely to combine as much ridiculousness, guns, blades, fancy uniforms and famous locations into each frame. I mean, it's written by a guy who had to bootstrap himself up from the hentai gulags. It's juvenile, sure, but it's juvenile in a pulpy, quintessentially male sort of way that is as far from Twilight as you can imagine.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2009, 19:28 by Alex C »

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #613 on: 27 Jan 2009, 23:42 »

It's juvenile in a way that only grown people can really appreciate. As Khar once said:

Hellsing is about the Knights of the Round Table using Count Dracula to fight Nazis and the Inquisition.

(Although, that said, I don't believe Hellsing is without its own exposition.)

(I think the girls I mentioned really only enjoyed the sex appeal of Twilight, so Hellsing was awesome for them anyway)

(Because it shows that it was written and drawn by a hentai artist)

Zingoleb

« Reply #614 on: 28 Jan 2009, 22:12 »

Whoever said I need to watch my company:

Emo girls love me. They flock to me. I really wish I were kidding. I can't stand them, which I guess fuels more reasons to be emo. They also write me poetry, which I generally burn. The one that sticks out was one along the lines of

Eddy, oh Eddy
My body burns to your touch
Eddy, oh Eddy
My heart is a flame for you
The wax turns to goo
Eddy, oh Eddy

Blah blah blah fucking blah. It was so bad that I laughed out loud reading it. Also, I don't like anyone calling me "Eddy," - if they *must* use that name, at least end it in '-ie' for fuck's sake.

They also come to me when they're threatening to kill themselves, and I help them a few times, but generally tell them to kill themselves if their life sucks so bad. It's a pretty safe thing to say - they realize that if they're dead, they can't bitch.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #615 on: 28 Jan 2009, 22:20 »

Great job being so cool under threat of emotionally weak teenage girls, man.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #616 on: 29 Jan 2009, 03:19 »

My favourite line was "The wax turns to goo".

I laughed loudest at that line. A poor excuse for rhyming.

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #617 on: 29 Jan 2009, 05:49 »

Your posts get less and less plausible.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #618 on: 29 Jan 2009, 09:01 »

herp derp
also israel

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #619 on: 29 Jan 2009, 10:51 »

I must say, my first thought on that is "Wow, that's a pretty good job on the font and the texture...."
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Nodaisho

« Reply #620 on: 29 Jan 2009, 17:46 »

Yeah, that is very well-done.

SayWhat

« Reply #621 on: 29 Jan 2009, 18:59 »

...Would it make me a bad person to print that out and affix it to the girls bathroom stalls?

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #622 on: 29 Jan 2009, 20:09 »

No, It would not.
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #623 on: 29 Jan 2009, 20:58 »

I started reading it a couple of days ago on a dare (I was somewhat curious anyway, to be honest). I only read it at school and it's a good time-waster. I have mixed feelings on it. On one hand, it's not that poorly written and I enjoyed Cullen's family story (probably the only part of the book I can say I actually liked, but I'm not finished reading it yet), but on the other I find Meyer's obsession with physical beauty and the relationships between Bella & Ed/ Bella & Charlie/ Bella & her mother all to be pretty bad. In Edward's case because it is really hard not to interpret it as abusive, in Charlie's case because of the way she takes care of him like a goddamn wife--I actually found the relationship a bit creepy at times, but mostly I felt bad that she sort of treated him like shit even with all the things she did for him, and in the case of her mother... there's nothing there. I mean she describes her as her best friend but makes no effort to communicate with her on any but the barest level.

The sparkly thing was stupid, as was the whole Edward-with-his-shirt-unbuttoned scene. But I guess this book is a romance novel, so I guess I should expect it.
The very brief mentions of religion generally bother me because I can't read them without thinking that Meyer is promoting her religion. Carlisle seeems like a genuinely interesting character, however. (He was a priest before becoming a vampire, for those who aren't going to read it/ haven't yet)
On that note, most of her characters are boring and two-dimensional. Edward might be able to read minds, but who couldn't in a world like that?
Bella's mention of an "estrogen rush" during her girl's night out made me cringe with You Fail At Biology Forever (I actually joined tvtropes just to add that bit)
I honestly just can't stand Bella in general.
Meyer is pretty heavy with a thesaurus, but it's only gotten on my nerves a couple of times.

It is not, however, as bad as I thought it would be. I can read it and actually get somewhat into it... but I just can't immerse myself completely, it just has too many flaws. I don't think I could read it without a conscious effort, honestly.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

gnarlyducks

« Reply #624 on: 30 Jan 2009, 00:34 »

Twilight is the literary equivalent of being penetrated anally by a retractable baton.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #625 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:39 »

Thanks for playing!

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #626 on: 30 Jan 2009, 04:25 »

I WISH TO PRINT A HIGH DEFINITION A3 VERSION OF THAT POSTER PICTURE BECAUSE THAT IS AWESOME

And yeah, the best part was the font.

There will be a point where society in a hundred years forgets why people called the 21st century shit-literature, shit-literature, and Twilight will be at the forefront of the studies of the 22nd century's schoolchildren over the issue of "high literature".

The world will probably end shortly afterwards.

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
« Reply #627 on: 30 Jan 2009, 11:44 »

...Would it make me a bad person to print that out and affix it to the girls bathroom stalls?

Quite the contrary, you would become as a hero to me.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #628 on: 01 Feb 2009, 09:22 »

. I don't think I could read it without a conscious effort, honestly.

That's weird, 'cause for me, the only appealing thing about the books is that they're absolutely effortless to read. Seriously. It takes more energy to watch TV than to read Twilight.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #629 on: 01 Feb 2009, 11:16 »

No you don't understand, it didn't captivate him and he had to force himself to read it. Personally, I found the same thing when I read it.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #630 on: 01 Feb 2009, 17:02 »

So I finished it today (I lost it on the bus and only just replaced it) and I'll admit that the ending was at least somewhat suspensful. The vampires-love-baseball thing was hard to take seriously and the entire ballet-room scene was predictable, but at least there actually was some modicum of action and danger rather then the tired excuse for it that Edward's bloodlust presented throughout the rest of the book.
Alice's back-story could have been very interesting if it was given more than just a passing thought, but as it seems to play no role in her character beyond her vampire power it left me more frustrated at Meyer's mediocre character development than anything. I mean, even after Alice finds out about her human life she is absolutely unaffected by it--no introspection, no curiosity, no sadness...

After the book ended there was a preview of New Moon. I found myself sympathetic towards Bella's fear of growing old while Edward stayed young, but that sympathy fell apart when she turned it into an excuse to be helplessly angsty about the affection her friends and family showed her on her birthday. She finallly cheers up and starts accepting gifts, and in the process gets into some pretty deep shit. While I'd like to think that means that she might actually have to fend for herself at some point in the series, I am more inclined to expect further dependence and helplessness.

But then at the back of the book were "Twilight Discussion Questions". I mean... huh? At first I thought it was a writer's Q&A, but it was honestly-to-God just a bunch of literary-examination questions. Questions like "Bella faints at the smell of blood. If she were to become a vampire, how might this serve as a hindrance? How might it be an asset?" Putting aside that she faints all of once in the entire book (despite multiple appearances of blood), I couldn't help but wonder who decided that the readers were so stupid and thoughtless that they were incapable of asking their own questions about the book.
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Reed

« Reply #631 on: 01 Feb 2009, 18:09 »

I actually read all four because my ex is a fan of the series (not crazy, but enough to be worrisome). If you want to know what the next book is like, take the portions where she's mopy and stupid, stretch across hundreds of pages, throw in imaginary voices that are really poorly explained, and there you go. I'm honestly surprised she doesn't wind up cutting in the next book.
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Nodaisho

« Reply #632 on: 01 Feb 2009, 18:22 »

Yeah, she skips that and goes straight to attempting suicide. Great example for the children, Mrs. Meyers.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #633 on: 02 Feb 2009, 22:51 »

But he's so dreamy
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #634 on: 03 Feb 2009, 01:39 »

Had the stomach to properly read some of it again.

I will do this every time I lose focus and believe that Twilight might not have been a bad series, just misunderstood.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #635 on: 03 Feb 2009, 17:03 »

Do you also eat things out of the garbage just in case it was something else that gave you food poisoning?

Nodaisho

« Reply #636 on: 03 Feb 2009, 17:39 »

Yeah, just read one of the chapter-by-chapter satires.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #637 on: 03 Feb 2009, 23:25 »

I AM NOT SURE WHY LADIES WANT TO SLEEP WITH HIM.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #638 on: 04 Feb 2009, 13:27 »

Great pagebreak.

Mein Tumblr

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #639 on: 04 Feb 2009, 14:11 »

Apparently Stephen King is now also on record as saying Meyer isn't very good; I cannot be sure if considering the source would make that sting more or less, really.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2009, 20:25 by Alex C »

SayWhat

« Reply #640 on: 06 Feb 2009, 16:16 »

I just had to deal with a group of my friends trying to drag me to see the movie again. Then they got offended when I explained that the main reason I went the first time was because Cam Gigandet appears wearing nothing but some sexy, dirty jeans and his delicious bare chest.

*drools*

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #641 on: 06 Feb 2009, 20:24 »

Alice's back-story could have been very interesting if it was given more than just a passing thought, but as it seems to play no role in her character beyond her vampire power it left me more frustrated at Meyer's mediocre character development than anything. I mean, even after Alice finds out about her human life she is absolutely unaffected by it--no introspection, no curiosity, no sadness...

THIS. DEAR GOD THIS.

I said this to my Twilight obsessed friend and she said something like "oh well they develop Alice's story further in the other books", but I do not believe her, and I do not have enough energy to sit through another 3 novels of this drivel. To be quite fair, if the whole series had been about Alice it could have been pretty good.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #642 on: 06 Feb 2009, 21:00 »

If the whole series was about Alice and had been written by a more experienced SM or other writer it would have been a whole lot more interesting.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #643 on: 06 Feb 2009, 22:12 »

So... the books had been written by someone else about someone else they might not have sucked?

RINGING endorsement.

SayWhat

« Reply #644 on: 07 Feb 2009, 21:35 »

So... the books had been written by someone else about someone else they might not have sucked?

RINGING endorsement.

It's the best that series will get.
At least from anyone with half a brain.

SavannahGirl

« Reply #645 on: 09 Feb 2009, 14:06 »

the first one was pretty good but the rest are total crap the keep getting worse as you read. each one sucking more than the last one.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #646 on: 11 Feb 2009, 06:51 »

The movie is now on pre-sale. I have to convince people to buy this piece of crap because it comes with special commentary and a collectible film cell.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #647 on: 11 Feb 2009, 19:29 »

Bwhaha

Mein Tumblr

phooey

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #648 on: 11 Feb 2009, 20:38 »

Sure seems like a Strong Female Character to me.

NeverQuiteGoth

• Curry sauce
    • The Raiden Saga
« Reply #649 on: 12 Feb 2009, 10:49 »

Bwhaha

I'm not sure exactly why, but that is the funniest shit I've ever read.
Yes, thank goodness we live in an enlightened society where we're horribly sexist to both men and woman in equal measure. >.<
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up