THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: movies that make you cry  (Read 55046 times)

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: movies that make you cry
« Reply #50 on: 18 Sep 2008, 10:53 »

Okay, I went through a long list of movies I've seen to remember if I had an emotional reaction to them or not on the sobby wishy washy level. Not much until I remembered the Last Unicorn, which overall is a very cheesy animated film overall, but there's a couple parts of it that make me moist around the eyeballs. Oh, and if we're going by TV shows the episode with Fry's dog. That episode's ending makes me want to kill myself.
Futurama is more emotional than just about any other show/movie I can think of. Jurassic Bark, Luck of the Fryrish, and The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings all had me on tearing up. I was disappointed that the first movie altered the Seymour continuity because it saps all the poignancy from Jurassic Bark.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #51 on: 18 Sep 2008, 11:05 »

Oh, and if we're going by TV shows the episode with Fry's dog. That episode's ending makes me want to kill myself.

I totally know where you're coming from! I think that episode, and then the very last one (which was sooo cute!) totally had me teary. Not CRYING, but kinda edging towards it.

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #52 on: 18 Sep 2008, 19:20 »

Ironically, Boys Don't Cry dissolves me into a shivering lump of salty tears and sadness.

Me to. :(
and
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Farmall

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #53 on: 20 Sep 2008, 23:51 »

Is it sad that i've never cried from a movie?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #54 on: 21 Sep 2008, 00:30 »

In the past week now I've watched Stardust like 10 times and I swear to God, even if I'm not paying close attention I start sobbing mercilessly at the part where Yvayne confesses.

Fuck even thinking about it for long enough makes me tear up.

Maybe I'm just totally gay for Claire Danes and wish she was saying that stuff to me.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #55 on: 21 Sep 2008, 04:34 »

Man, I'm constantly nearly crying at films but rarely actually do. That said, Pan's Labyrinth had me weeping like a child the first time I saw it, and the second time I went with a group of friends and all six of us were tearing up by the end.

Dancer in the Dark fucked me up so hard, though. I just felt dead inside, I couldn't even cry. Man, that film.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #56 on: 21 Sep 2008, 07:14 »

Is it sad that i've never cried from a movie?

Yes.  You're dead inside.  Robot.  Why don't you go polish your hollow tin chest?  :P  I kid.  Or do I?

Anywho, I get kind of teary at the beginning of Peter Pan.  Think about it: the parents rush to the window to see their children being kidnapped.  How awful is that?

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #57 on: 24 Sep 2008, 18:28 »

I think I started crying somewhere in the first 20 minutes of Dancer in the Dark and didn't stop until half an hour after it finished.

dangerdave

« Reply #58 on: 24 Sep 2008, 20:23 »

A.I no one i know , knows of the movie but i was a really young age when i saw it and i started to cry at the part when they leave him, and if you know the movie thats like 20 minutes in or so , and its almost a three hour movie or so i think it seemed like it anyways. Well any i was crying through the rest of the movie, and it was only about 20 minutes to the end where i realized i couldn't take it anymore, and shut it off. My family was worried i was dehydrated, it was so bad. And if anyone has seen the end please tell me does he find his mom with the aliens, does he become real.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #59 on: 24 Sep 2008, 20:28 »

I've seen it all the way through.  I'm a bit hesitant to tell you what happens at the end, because it'd be a disservice to the movie.  There's also just plain old wikipedia, if you're really that curious.

That movie, which I saw a few weeks ago, was probably one of the more emotional movies I've seen.  I still haven't cried over anything since Kazaam.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #60 on: 24 Sep 2008, 20:45 »

Man A.I. is saaaaaad.
Hate, rain on me

geffyb

• Plantmonster
« Reply #61 on: 25 Sep 2008, 07:25 »

Wall-E , That ending, I was crying and wanted to scream at Pixar for almost destroying my heart, but goddamn that scene was powerful.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Butterfly Effect , his last act
Pan's Labyrinth , I cried out of joy and saddness at the end of that film.
Citizen Kane, when his wife leaves

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #62 on: 25 Sep 2008, 07:33 »

Oh oh! Hook, because Dustin Hoffman.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #63 on: 25 Sep 2008, 18:05 »

The Wizard of Oz made me cry today, but I'm not totally sure why. I only got to watch the first 15 minutes or so before I had to go. Also the documentary about The Gits made me cry a couple days ago.

Bayley

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #64 on: 26 Sep 2008, 02:06 »

i only want to see you underneath the purple rain. [stop]

Purple raiiin purrrple rain. purple rain purple rain.

i only want to see you underneath the purple rain.

octodexy

« Reply #65 on: 26 Sep 2008, 02:22 »

The Last Unicorn makes me cry really badly. I just thought it was a kid thing, and then I watched it with the kids I worked with a year ago, and they had to comfort me. I was all out wailing. I mean, it's not even that sad.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #66 on: 26 Sep 2008, 06:25 »

I've said this at least twice before on this forum: Zhang Yimou's Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles made me weep openly in the cinema.

Also, Ken Loach's Ae Fond Kiss made me cry at the end, but those were happy tears. Which actually came as a complete surprise from a Ken Loach film.

dangerdave

« Reply #67 on: 26 Sep 2008, 14:08 »

I just watched A.I again last night. And o my fucking god did i cry, and i'm a 18 year old guy, who plays football and i was bawling, i was like some form of sweet torture becuz it is such a good movie, yet so sad

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #68 on: 26 Sep 2008, 22:28 »

I just finished watching the first movie to legitamately make me cry, Werckmeister Harmonies.

The whole thing just floored me in a way no other movie has.
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

isabella21

« Reply #69 on: 28 Sep 2008, 06:24 »

In total agreement with Cinema Paradiso, The Shaw Shank Redemption, the part in Mulholland Drive when she has to watch Adam and Camilla in the car and, embarrassingly, The Lion King when Mufasa dies reduces me to a blubbering mess every time without fail. 

gardenhead_

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • we live as we dream; alone
« Reply #70 on: 28 Sep 2008, 07:51 »

The end of Pan's Labyrinth gets me crying, but kind of sad and happy tears. The part just after Ned dies in The Life Aquatic makes me lose my shit too.
Also, I think I have cried to most Hayao Miyazaki films, but probably because I have a habit of watching them when I am very drunk late at night.
Quote from: Midnight Umbreon
You guys are all such douches.

SailorPunk

• http://www.xanga.com/moonrose
« Reply #71 on: 28 Sep 2008, 11:16 »

Life is Beautiful
It's a Wonderful Life

most other movies.....seriously. I think I cry at all movies. BUT those two do it consistently and without fail. In fact, I can barely think about either one without bawling like a little baby.
...really polite and kind of squishy...

ptitqui

« Reply #72 on: 28 Sep 2008, 11:48 »

I'm a really big movie/tv crier.

The season finale of house had my crying for quite a while. Also:
Jakob the liar
Boys don't cry
Rent
Brokeback mountain
and Forrest Gump

The list goes on...

lprkn

« Reply #73 on: 02 Oct 2008, 10:50 »

Mufasa people, if that scene doesn't make you tear up, you are probably a robot.

Also, a lot of episodes of Six Feet Under.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #74 on: 02 Oct 2008, 11:48 »

GreyGabe

• Plantmonster
  • Probably not dead.
« Reply #75 on: 13 Oct 2008, 19:34 »

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
I cried because I realized that that was a half hour of my life I was never getting back. (I couldn't even sit through the whole thing.)

Also, the movie "Neverwas". But that was because it was a wonderful movie.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #76 on: 13 Oct 2008, 19:53 »

I cried most recently during The Fall!
Hate, rain on me

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #77 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:02 »

Yes.

Gingernut

« Reply #78 on: 14 Oct 2008, 10:14 »

I, rather embarrassingly, cried during Armageddon. But then I cry at adverts. British tv shows a lot of adverts for cancer care charities, and one of them is all these people going 'I shouldn't be here' and then, at the end, a pretty blonde girl in her wedding dress sobbing 'my mum should be here.' Bastards.

I have a theory that anyone who didn't cry when Bambi's mother died should be tested for Sociopathic tendencies.

I cry at Edward Scissorhands, every time.

rebka29

« Reply #79 on: 14 Oct 2008, 12:13 »

I cried most recently during The Fall!
Me too! It was so sad! I cried a bunch the first time I saw it, but I've watched it three times since, and there really isn't much time to cry. Tarsem wont give it to you.

Also recently I cried durring 'Au Revoir, Les Enfants.'

'Beckett' kept me crying for a good 45 minutes. Talk about catharsis!

-Karamazov-

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #80 on: 14 Oct 2008, 20:01 »

I cried so much when I first saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.  It was like watching a best friend being beaten and violated in front of me, and I could do nothing but watch terror and cry.

Truthfully, I get sort of choked up at the end of To Kill A Mockingbird.  Particularly the scenes in which Scout identifies Boo Radley, walks him home, and stands alone on the porch.  The aren't particularly sad scenes, but the ending has always affected me in someway.  Reading that part in the book was even harder then watching it.

Here is a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2SzVrdiZ8s&feature=related

« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2008, 20:12 by -Karamazov- »

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #81 on: 14 Oct 2008, 22:16 »

Movies don't usually make me cry at all, and if they do, it's just a slight watering of the eyeballs. However, "Into the Wild" and "Awakenings" made me cry a LOT.

Even though it's lame and a science moron like me knows it's bullshit, "Deep Impact" made me tear up for a second. Because the idea of having to wait for a deadly comet is SEVERELY disturbing, and that's why the movie is effective, even in its bad science cheese. It's about the horrible wait, not the actual event.

Anyway, Elijah Wood and Leelee whatsherface are about to flee the comet just in time, and Leelee's parents had her their baby and put her on the motorcycle and the acting is actually good enough, and dammit it's actually sad. I feel so full of shame, but it's the truth.

Abyssion27

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #82 on: 15 Oct 2008, 06:26 »

the ending of Gladiator made me cry a little, as did The Orphanage. It was such a bittersweet ending, and the acting was phenomenal.
"If you enthusiastically light yourself on fire, people will come for miles to watch you burn." Anonymous

tiffchil

« Reply #83 on: 15 Oct 2008, 12:58 »

I tear up easily, but only a few movies have actually made me cry. The Green Mile the first time I saw it. Lion King made me cry every time when I was a kid. Schindler's List gets me almost every time. So does Forest Gump. The movies that truly made me bluber though was Stop-Loss. For reasons that are ovbious (to me) I bawled like a newborn and will never watch it again.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #84 on: 15 Oct 2008, 14:01 »

Forgive me, but I cried to the Final Fantasy movie when I was little.

When I look back on it I wonder what I was thinking. Maybe it was the end song. The end song was good.

I totally agree with Cast Away when the dude loses Wilson. MAN THAT WAS OMG CRY.

Wall-E was more of a feelgood cry ending, but I didn't cry to that. Others definitely did though.

Dr.Rabbit

« Reply #85 on: 17 Oct 2008, 07:50 »

Menace II Society
American History X
Boys Don't Cry
North Country
Requiem For A Dream

oh and one episode of Without A Trace called Wannabe was really sad.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2008, 07:52 by Dr.Rabbit »

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #86 on: 17 Oct 2008, 22:14 »

Browsing this thread, several movie names were mentioned, that I've either A) heard were indeed tearjerkers, according to various friends of mine, or B) seen a bit of.

- American History X
- Grave of the Fireflies
- Bridge to Terabithia
- The Notebook

I watched most of AH X with my cousin, I saw a little bit of the Notebook (more specifically the last 30 minutes). I didn't cry but I was like "aww, goddam..."

In my pre-teen years, movies that just did it for me were Indian/Bollywood films. Then I got older and didn't really break down at any more emotional films.

The episode where Frieza kills Krillin
Control, and Yi-

I know that's an outdated post, but I LOL'ED.

Dr.Rabbit

« Reply #87 on: 17 Oct 2008, 22:25 »

Dr. Rabbit, your avatar is the best.
haha yeah i love that movie

Hljómalind

« Reply #88 on: 17 Oct 2008, 22:44 »

Just as a general comment...dudes, spoilers!

As for me, my parents forbade me from watching ET for several years on account of my initial reaction. More recently, it's possible a single, manly tear may have passed my cheek near the end of Gladiator.

BiCoastal Kid

« Reply #89 on: 18 Oct 2008, 07:22 »

Oh man I forgot Nuovo Cinema Paradiso. Bloody hell, what a movie.

YEAH HI. Cinema Paradiso is the only movie which has made me tear up basically every time I've seen it. The ending sequence with all of the love scenes gets me every time.

Nevermind

« Reply #90 on: 19 Oct 2008, 14:17 »

I'm a happy cryer, sad movies never really get to me. I always cry at the end of The Wedding Singer and Pretty in Pink.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #91 on: 19 Oct 2008, 14:25 »

Hey, just a heads up: non-standard text colors are annoying.  It's okay if you're using them for emphasis, but it's grating on the eyes if you use it all the time.

Nevermind

« Reply #92 on: 19 Oct 2008, 15:49 »

Dimmukane: Thanks for telling me! I'll stop.

Jeans: Adam Sandler doesn't usually make me cry...

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #93 on: 20 Oct 2008, 00:59 »

Oh my God, "Grave of the Fireflies" is soul destroyingly sad. Naturally I watched it when I was like 12, and haven't seen it in ages. I bet it would make me cry now.

There should be another topic for straight up depressing movies, or once that made you feel ill.

Covetous

• Larger than most fish
  • Swedish Turnip
« Reply #94 on: 20 Oct 2008, 03:06 »

Taegukgi hwinalrimyeo, or as I know it Brothers of War made me cry for quite some time and I still feel said every time I think about it.
Creationists make it sound as though a "theory" is something you dreamt up after being drunk all night.
-Isaac Asimov

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #95 on: 21 Oct 2008, 16:57 »

Man, the first time I watched The Notebook, I couldn't understand why everyone loved it, but I rewatched it tonight after, oddly enough, having read a lot about it in various places the last week or so, and God, I'm a wreck. There have most definitely been other, sadder movies that haven't made me cry, but for some reason, I was bawling by the last part of it.. It also made me think about how I've actually (if I'm lucky, that is) lived about a quarter of my life, although I'm not quite sure why, and most of it has been extraordinarily boring.

After giving it some thought, I think I tend to cry during very, well, a lot movies. It's sort of weird that I'm such a big movie/TV crier, because apparently, I don't show a lot of emotion otherwise, which again makes it more embarrassing when I actually start crying over nothing in movies/on TV, but sometimes it's just impossible not to.

Siibillam-Law

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Ha Ha Fucking Ha
    • Siibillam's Storywrite
« Reply #96 on: 22 Oct 2008, 07:43 »

Can't remember what films I've cried on. I remember when I was little I thought the Fox and the Hound was worth crying after
I remember gettign all teary during the Seymour episode of Futurama and that other episode where he thinks his brother stole his identity. The Scrubs where Cox screws up and someone dies was sad too.
Filmwise though, I can't really think of anything
There is no sin except stupidity

sashasayssashay

« Reply #97 on: 31 Oct 2008, 01:44 »

I Am Sam - I can't specify a scene because I pretty much cry through the entire movie.

The Notebook - same thing. Every time Noah's in pain, I'm in pain. Hahaha

Atonement - ouch. Such a sad movie.

Arkvoodle

• Not quite a lurker
  • Hail the Lord of the Sacred Crotch!
« Reply #98 on: 02 Nov 2008, 06:21 »

I feel kinda odd for mentioning this one, but... Bambi. Three guesses what part.

and The Iron Giant- "You are what you choose to be..." "SUPERMAN!"

"It has been written in the book of Divine Fabrications that, the Great God of the Sacred Crotch Arkvoodle cannot be made or unmade. Arkvoodle is, will, and forever shall be! And for once they got it right."

plumbob78

• ˇViva la revolución!
« Reply #99 on: 03 Nov 2008, 14:32 »

Only "movie" I cry at every time is a British TV mystery  The Remorseful Day, from he Inspector Morse series. I cry every time I read the novel, too. But's that's probably not because the book or the novel are terribly sad, but because of the attachment I have to one of the characters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up