THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston Meetup - January 16-19, 2009  (Read 37134 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Boston Meetup - January 16-19, 2009
« on: 23 Sep 2008, 06:47 »

Okay, Clobs just brought it up in the Blog thread and I figure it's about time to start solidifying some of this stuff.

For those unfamiliar with the idea, here's a brief refresher:

Since Chicago is still close to a year away and not everyone will make it, we made the plan to split it off into three seperate meets. Chicago's still happening, but we were planning two concurrent January meetups in Boston and California. I'm not sure how the west coast plan is going, as I'm not really involved, but the Boston plan has been pretty well solidified:

-The plan is definitively locked as starting Friday, January 16 of 2009. Early attendees are welcome to hang, but the bulk of any plans we set up will be for the weekend of January 16 through 18. The date is non-negotiable at this point, as it is serving two-fold as falling in the middle of most college breaks and also being when we have an international visiting and a forumite who is busy the weekend before and after. Anyone who wants to spend extra time is more than welcome to do so, but that's the major timeframe.

-Current confirmed and locked in attendees are: Myself, Rachel, Shane (Obviously, since we all live around here) and Jimmy the Squid (Who has already procured airfare for the trip).

-There is also a decent list of likelies and rumored individuals. Edith is a high probability and I've heard interest expressed by Linds, Cerny Jon, Phil, Clobs and Gemm (Though Shane is telling me Gemm's not going anymore, any word on this?).

-I will be allowing people to crash at my apartment (Which is in Cambridge, about a mile and a half outside of downtown Boston) and will be guaranteeing that now that I have been able to get the opportunity to re-up my lease. My place is small, but I'll be able to fit a few people if anyone's willing to enjoy the fun of a sleeping bag. A rock, paper, scissor tournament will be held to decide who gets couches and who gets floor, though priority will be given to anyone willing to share as I have two futons.

-Anyone who does not want to risk sleeping on the floor or can afford to stay elsewhere, there are many hotels around the city and they will be at lower than usual rates, since January is considered the off-season for Boston. There is a bed and breakfast literally across the street from my place. There are not a lot of hostels in the area, but there's at least a couple on mass transit.

-Weatherwise, this will be the dead of winter up here. I shit you not, I have encountered a few people on the forum who were unaware that Boston gets winter. January is probably the second coldest month of the year here (It'll range from 0-20 degrees F). Be aware of this if you're interested in attending.

-Current tentative plans include the following:

*Sledding (Weather permitting, though this will involve some driving, probably)
*Cereal Party (Whereby, Eed and Gemm were planning to buy as many boxes of cereal as they can afford and mix it all together to see how it goes)
*Chicken party (Anyone who knows me knows my obsession with Chick-Fil-A. Any orders of $100 or more can be delivered and I am totally doing this)
*Hot cocoa and movies at my apartment (With my projector and surround sound, this should be fun)
*Video games and crap (For those inclined, I have an Xbox 360 and a Wii hooked to said projector)
*Ice skating (There's a few great ponds in the various parks around)
*Shopping (There's some excellent shopping in the area)

This is now less than four months away, so I want to get a headcount so we can all start figuring out transportation and sleeping arrangements. I'm only going to be able to fit so many people in my apartment.

Who's interested?
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
Re: Boston Meetup - January 16-19, 2009
« Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2008, 07:28 »

I forgot about the cereal party! Now I have to go.

Basically it's on and off for me, depending on whether I can get a cheap last minute flight, and earn enough money at my new job for said cheap last minute flight. I'll try my hardest but there's no promises.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2008, 07:37 »

I know I have said this before and flaked but this is a possibility for me. I will be figuring things out to see if it can happen.
Hate, rain on me

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2008, 08:54 »

I don't really have a choice, do I? Hell of being there.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2008, 11:57 »

I am pretty sure I will be there. Especially so if I get hired at the place I interviewed at today. And from talking a little bit to Edith, she'd be driving me, Cerny Jon, and Adam. I dunno about lodging yet, because I may have a friend co-oping out there and I might be able to stay with her. (I don't know yet and don't want to ask until I know what's going on with her.)

I hope it snows a lot, because I have to go sledding. Because I am 22 and have never been sledding because I am super weird.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:14 »

I'm a maybe right now, as I won't know what my financial situation will be like until November, but you all will be the first to know.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2008, 12:18 »

i assumed a california meetup was not happening because i figured there aren't enough people that are interested enough. PM me if i'm wrong... but i doubt i am.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2008, 13:47 »

Well um yknow

maybe

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2008, 18:50 »

I really want to go, but I just don't know if its going to happen.

I will try though!
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2008, 19:02 »

I'm a definite yes, weather permitting. I will be driving. I drive a small car - we could fit 5 people but they'd have to pack light - backpacks not suitcases. If other people are riding with me (Cerny Jon, Linds and Adam have first dibs because we've talked about it before) I'd want them to kick in for gas money and if anyone else can drive manual shift, that'd be good, so that's a good reason to twist Adam's arm for that. Also, I know Cerny Jon doesn't want to miss much (or any?) class so we'd basically be driving there, hanging out with no sleep, then driving back.

Also, the cereal party is NOT mixing the cereal together. It is tasting bunches of kinds to see what tastes best and basically making ourselves sick on sugary grains with marshmallows and junk in them.

Also, I believe I was promised mittens. Can anyone confirm?
Ho, ho, ho!

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2008, 19:14 »

i would just like to remind everyone that the boston meetup is not the main meetup for next year. the main meetup will be held in august in chicago. the boston meetup was intended to be a regional meet, (hopefully) meaning low cost for people attending.

if your funds will allow you only one or the other, please choose the main meet in chicago.
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #11 on: 23 Sep 2008, 20:08 »

I, having paid for my tickets last week, am most definitely coming. I get there at about 11pm on January 15 and as I understand it I am crashing at Jon's for the whole time. I will wrestle anyone and everyone for somewhere soft and warm to sleep and also to kill time, whichever comes up first.

Also it is not funds that prevent me from going to Chicago, it is my uni timetable.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

öde

« Reply #12 on: 23 Sep 2008, 20:08 »

Also, everyone that goes to Boston will be cursed!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2008, 20:45 »

Also, there's a 75% chance of getting syphilis from Jon's apartment.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2008, 20:50 »

And only a 12.7% chance of catching it from Ozy in Chicago.

Your odds are better next summer!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2008, 21:06 »

I'd want them to kick in for gas money and if anyone else can drive manual shift, that'd be good, so that's a good reason to twist Adam's arm for that.

Basically, it depends on how I do at this audition.

Bostoncon, you are my silver metal!
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ackblom12

« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2008, 21:58 »

Unfortunately, me and Kat will not be making it to Boston. This sucks a lot, but at least we will not be getting gonasyphilAIDS from Jon's apartment.

I can almost guarantee making it to Chicago though, especially after the ridiculously successful Toronto. I am NOT missing out on that unless terrible terrible things occur.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2008, 23:03 »

Jameroozi, If you do not make it back for the Sydney meetup I will  KICK YOUR ASS.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2008, 23:07 »

I'm back in sydney on the 29th I think.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2008, 03:11 »

Chicago's definitely a no for me, because if I'm going anywhere next summer, it's San Francisco pride, my friends made me promise them. Also in January I'd be doing a few days in NYC too, to go see my friend Marcus so it's the perfect meet for me to go to, if I can afford it.

I'm crossing my fingers.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 24 Sep 2008, 03:52 »

RE: Jon's apartment and Mass Transit

Although Cambridge is a little bit outside of the city, it's very well served by public transport. Jon's apartment is on a street intersecting Massachusetts Avenue, and the Central Square T station (Red Line) is maybe a five minute walk from his front door. Harvard Square is about a 20 minute walk..ish (the one time I walked there I stopped at a few shops), and there are busses running along Mass. Ave as well.

Basically, he's in a pretty good spot if you want to get around the city. The Red Line connects to every other T line aside from blue (Green at Park Street, Orange at Downtown Crossing, Silver at South Station), though why you'd want to be on the Blue Line is beside me (unless you're going to the aquarium).
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2008, 11:45 by valley_parade »
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #21 on: 24 Sep 2008, 09:14 »

Are you sure you pissed on every last inch of their bonfire there, Yelley?  :wink:

i'm not trying to ruin everyone's fun! i'm just hoping that people don't forget about the main meetup and that we can get an even larger turnout this year. HEY GUYS, YOU SHOULD ALL GO TO BOSTON. but only if you can also afford chicago or you definitely can't make chicago at all

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 24 Sep 2008, 17:51 »

Probably won't go to Boston, seeing as how Google Maps says it is an 11 hour drive, but I might be going to Chicago.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #23 on: 25 Sep 2008, 13:46 »

I can afford to go to both, as long as the weather isn't so totally crappy that a weekend road trip to Boston becomes ridiculous.

I will absolutely for sure be in Chicago. No question.

No one has answered me about the mittens. There better be mittens. In Boston. Which this thread is about.
Ho, ho, ho!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #24 on: 25 Sep 2008, 13:52 »

Mittens will be provided.

I also came up with a new activity that would be pretty effectively awesome, but I forgot what it was.
JON MADE ME GAY

orangepeas

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #25 on: 26 Sep 2008, 02:43 »

I'm thinking I might go. Boston is about 9 hours from here. I need to transfer in New York City. I might come to the Chicago meet up just because I've never been to Chicago. The cold weather shouldn't bother me, because I'm Canadian.

The whole thing is defiantly something to think about.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2008, 03:54 »

Mittens will be provided.

I also came up with a new activity that would be pretty effectively awesome, but I forgot what it was.

Shower Racing World Cup.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2008, 03:55 »

:O

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2008, 07:01 »

Shower Racing World Cup.

The odds of that actually happening, considering the strain that would probably put on my plumbing, are between slim and nil.
JON MADE ME GAY

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #29 on: 27 Sep 2008, 13:26 »

Apparently I can make the whole round trip on the Greyhound for little more than a hundred dollars.  This is severely tempting...

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #30 on: 27 Sep 2008, 19:15 »

IF THE TRIP IS 17 HOURS OVERNIGHT YOU'LL REGRET IT TO YOUR DYING DAY.

I'm going, provided I can convince my parent's to let me drive my pontiac to Boston, find free parking and camp out at Jon's. I've just quit my paying job to work at an unpaid internship and won't be making any kind of money until Winter break towards the end of December, but hopefully somehow I can scrounge up the money?
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #31 on: 28 Sep 2008, 09:34 »

I really want to go to this, I can also try and provide hotel rooms for this too. I've never been to Boston, I hear it's nice there. They have this mythical stuff called snow?

I also want to meet more of you people.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #32 on: 04 Oct 2008, 18:33 »

So, what is the current situation with places to stay during this?  Still space in people's appartments?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #33 on: 05 Oct 2008, 08:35 »

That's someting that needs figuring out. No way I'll be able to accommodate everyone going,so something will need to be done aout a hostel or hotel.
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #34 on: 05 Oct 2008, 12:08 »

If we can find a place like the Toronto hostel or somewhere near the quality, I'm down with a hostel. The last one left a good impression.

I need to knit myself a hat that actually matches my coat. I can make hats for people who want them, for a price. Price equals the purchaser's soul. This is non-negotiable. Side effects may include loss of emotion, the ability to give a damn, and general poor behavior. Please consult your physician before selling your soul.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 06 Oct 2008, 03:54 »

I already have most of those side-effects. One hat, please!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #36 on: 08 Oct 2008, 10:25 »

Heh heh heh.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 15 Oct 2008, 00:05 »

As far as lodging goes, ignoring hostels for the moment, how many people can be taked in with people already living in the area?  And how many people are planning on coming in from far away?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #38 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:37 »

As far as I know, I am the only QCer living in metro Boston and I'm all but certain I'm the only forum regular who lives here and knows anyone well enough to bring in guests for the weekend.

Only three people attending won't be making a bit of a journey: Shane, Rachel and myself. Shane lives in Western MA and Rachel lives in Southern MA and is here routinely anyway. I think the next closest probable from there is Phil down in Maryland (Tyler's in Connecticut, but he apparently doesn't tend to commit until last minute on these things). The furthest person coming is Jimmy from Australia.

Definitively, the list of people confirmed for crashing at my apartment is as follows:

Rachel, for obvious reasons.
Shane, because I know him personally and have him over routinely.
Jimmy, because he planned his vacation around crashing here and he's spending the most money to get up here.
Eed, because both Rachel and I talk to her regularly.
Gemm, if she attends, because she's traveling a fair distance too.

I'll probably be squeezing Phil, Jon and Linds in too because I offered them a spot months ago. I'm not sure I'll be able to fit much of anyone else in there, my apartment's rather small.
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 15 Oct 2008, 10:42 »

You're missing your chance, Jon! Kick Paul out, put some people in his room, and after Bostoncon, you can put the grill in there and open up a restaurant.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #40 on: 15 Oct 2008, 21:49 »

I retract my statement about the car, a bus trip to Connecticut wouldn't be half as bad as the trip was to Tronno, and it would probably be cheaper than taking a car. Not to mention I'd go by daylight hours this time so at least it would have an interesting view. Its amazing how ghostly small-towns in Up-state New York look at 3 am. When the bus stop also happens to be the local Burger King.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

sean

• welp
« Reply #41 on: 16 Oct 2008, 15:37 »

Jon I have no idea if I am attending (hopefully confirming this soon) but if I do could you perhaps squeeze in one more person? (unless anyone else is coming and getting a hotel room.)
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #42 on: 16 Oct 2008, 15:45 »

I should be going, and I guess if I can't fit in with Jon, I'll be getting a hotel room.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #43 on: 17 Oct 2008, 12:55 »

You're missing your chance, Jon! Kick Paul out, put some people in his room, and after Bostoncon, you can put the grill in there and open up a restaurant.

Ha!

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #44 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:38 »

I definitely can't come now because my bosses are wankers and have allocated me holiday that I don't even want in December for some fucked up reason. So yeah, I've been screwed out of this. Bummer.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #45 on: 23 Oct 2008, 03:55 »

Booo. We'll miss you.
Ho, ho, ho!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2008, 04:52 »

You better use this time to go see Buzzcocks, Gemm. *shakes fist*

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #47 on: 23 Oct 2008, 05:13 »

I can't, dude, how many times?!

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #48 on: 23 Oct 2008, 05:21 »

Did you happen to ask/tell your employer that you've bought tickets to America for January (whether or not that is actually the case)?
Ho, ho, ho!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 23 Oct 2008, 05:22 »

Someone on this goddamned forum better. =(
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up