THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 474745 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1550 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:26 »

Why do you peel butternut squash? I slice mine in half length-wise, scoop out the seeds, put some butter in, and bake them. They make their own bowls!

I have one in the oven like that right now; I added a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg to the butter.  It will be eaten with grilled new season's Welsh lamb chops and tomato, and some green veg.  'Cos that's what was in the cupboard tonight.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #1551 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:50 »

For butternut squash, and many of the other hard-skinned varieties. I'd often recommend that you roast it before cooking with it. However, should you need to peel it, gloves are not necessary. Get a large cook's knife which is as sharp as a kitchen knife should be. Cut the bowl off if the fruit has one, stand on end and slice the peel off in strips downwards. Repeat with the bowl, although you'll be cutting off pieces more akin to scales than strips.

:-\ I did everything you mentioned but used a peeler instead of a knife....and about halfway through, my hands started drying, cracking and tightening up. They eventually started to peel and flake. Now they're fine but it was definitely no fun.+

Kinda looked like this-
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1552 on: 30 Oct 2012, 11:56 »

I had a reaction similar to that when using non-acetone nail polish remover. Dunno what causes it, but definitely use gloves next time.  :-(
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #1553 on: 31 Oct 2012, 02:01 »

Looks like a reaction to an acid in the skin. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #1554 on: 31 Oct 2012, 02:40 »

I've had a similar reaction to something I was peeling and I don't remember what it was... might have been sweet potato, which makes very little sense.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Redball

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • What's disease? Where?
« Reply #1555 on: 31 Oct 2012, 06:15 »

It happened to Clara and me when we crushed 75 lbs of cherries for an heroic amount of wine 30 years ago. Specifically, it happened to the skin under our wedding bands.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1556 on: 31 Oct 2012, 16:52 »

It tends to happen with sugary fruits that are also a bit acidic. I think it happens when you let your hands get sticky to the point of tacky and then it gets ingrained and acts like an acid peel applied with duct tape.

Which reminds me, I have a ripe pineapple to cut up.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1557 on: 04 Nov 2012, 16:40 »

So.....there is a restaurant we frequent that has the most delicious pizza rolls that I've ever had. Simple but absolutely amazing. I searched for a recipe and tried making these pizza "pinwheels" from this website and they turned into giant blobs of cheesy, saucy mush with crust on top.

Have any of you ever tried making these things? How on Earth do you get them to be...right?

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1558 on: 04 Nov 2012, 16:45 »

That really sounds a lot like an oven problem - too hot, crusting the outside before the inside had a chance to bake up.  Do you have difficulty with other baked goods? 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1559 on: 04 Nov 2012, 17:05 »

Perhaps try using a bain-marie the next time you make them. I know it might sound strange to use one for the oven, but it might be worth a shot. Fill a tray with hot water and put another container with your pinwheels into the water (Obviously keeping the two seperate).

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1560 on: 04 Nov 2012, 17:36 »

I don't bake often, but when I do I never have any problems  :-\

I think the biggest issue with these was that they just wouldn't hold together. I think the sauce/cheese mixture seeped out of the bottom while they were baking. I had high hopes for these because I loooove anything that you can make with biscuit/crescent roll dough but I think maybe next time I'll try pizza dough?

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #1561 on: 04 Nov 2012, 23:03 »

Don't cook them as pinwheels, cook them as a Stromboli and then take to it with a very sharp knife. Might withstand a second short bake to crisp them up.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1562 on: 05 Nov 2012, 08:30 »

Makes sense! Will definitely try it that way next time. Thanks!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1563 on: 05 Nov 2012, 08:49 »

Pizza places also cook their pizzas at a much higher temperature than most people do in their ovens. (I am basing this off of working in a pizza joint when I was in high school.) I would actually recommend trying this at a higher temp and making sure to leave a bit of extra dough without sauce or cheese on the outside of the pinwheel and gluing it down with an eggwash and/or pinching it firmly. Pizza dough would probably also work better at a higher temp than crescent rolls because it doesn't rise quite as much. Also maybe try using a muffin tin?

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #1564 on: 06 Nov 2012, 14:44 »

I think this thread works for this question. Does anyone know of any good low-carb foods, particularly as a replacement for bread? I've Googled and got some ideas but would like to hear if anyone has personal experiences.

Papersatan

« Reply #1565 on: 06 Nov 2012, 15:14 »

What are you using it for?

Bib lettuce will work for sandwiches.
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1566 on: 06 Nov 2012, 15:20 »

Yeah, mainly sandwiches but low-carb dinner ideas would be handy too.

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1567 on: 06 Nov 2012, 17:35 »

I'm a big fan of whole grain tortillas- I put any and everything in those. Flat bread is a good one too- I like Wasa. There are a bunch of recipes out there for low carb naan too- never tried the low carb version but I've heard good things.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #1568 on: 07 Nov 2012, 04:21 »

I love naan bread so I'll have a look for a recipe. Bunch of good ideas, cheers!

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #1569 on: 07 Nov 2012, 05:09 »

It might not be a huge change, but if you like rice with dinner, you could replace it with quinoa. It has 10-15% fewer carbs and about twice as much protein as the same amount of brown rice. I made some the other day in my rice cooker, with a bullion cube added to 1 cup dry grain and 2 cups water, and it turned out really good.
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
  • Professional Beep Booper
« Reply #1570 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:09 »

YES for quinoa! XD

It's good for health, excellent array of essential amino acids, more flavorful (my own opinion), and good for gluten-free diets.
Worry Hat, Engage!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #1571 on: 08 Nov 2012, 15:11 »

But when it dries on the pan, it can't be got off without a soak.  (NB: the fact that I know this shows that I do use it.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Papersatan

« Reply #1572 on: 08 Nov 2012, 16:14 »

Quinoa is great, but is is not the magical wonder food that people want it to be. Quinoa's downsides include that is is expensive compared to other grains and it's questionable impact on the regions of South America that grow it.  Some quinoa farmers are getting rich, for sure, but the rapid growth of quinoa as a cash crop has lead to violence and possibly decreased nutrition for locals, as the price jumps too high for those who traditionally ate it to afford. Also it must be shipped to its new consumers in North America and Europe.

I don't want to suggest you shouldn't eat it, I still do occasionally, I bring it up though because I frequently end up in debates about what foods are ethical to eat (I engage vegans on the topic when I am drunk.. :/) And quinoa is one of my go to examples.  It is great for vegans because it helps them meet their nutritional needs.. but is it more ethical than an egg?

Anyways, and grain I think is under used is wheat.  You can buy whole wheat at most natural foods or bulk stores "wheat berries" it will likely be called.  It is cheaper than quiona (a quick look at the bulk section of Wegmans tells me 4.29/lb for quiona and 2.29/lb for wheat), it can be grown closer to where it is eaten, and it has a similar nutrition profile:
1 cup of each cooked:
XQuinoaWheat
Cal222236
Fat4g1g
Carb3951
Fiber5g8g
Protein8g9g
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1573 on: 08 Nov 2012, 16:39 »

Made a fisherman's pie this evening. And I realised I had used the last of the milk to make the mornay sauce. Couldn't leave to get some more to make the mashed potato topping... So I ended up using some of the excess sauce. Worked out quite well so I think I'll be doing that more often.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1574 on: 08 Nov 2012, 19:03 »

But when it dries on the pan, it can't be got off without a soak.  (NB: the fact that I know this shows that I do use it.)
It strains without a strainer though...I like that.

Quinoa is great, but is is not the magical wonder food that people want it to be. Quinoa's downsides include that is is expensive compared to other grains and it's questionable impact on the regions of South America that grow it.  Some quinoa farmers are getting rich, for sure, but the rapid growth of quinoa as a cash crop has lead to violence and possibly decreased nutrition for locals, as the price jumps too high for those who traditionally ate it to afford. Also it must be shipped to its new consumers in North America and Europe.
I don't mind the price, but...if it's like South America's version of a "Blood Diamond", I'm not sure I want to eat it anymore...could it be potentially planted in North America, or is the climate not suitable? I don't mind having my own crop...

Made a fisherman's pie this evening. And I realised I had used the last of the milk to make the mornay sauce. Couldn't leave to get some more to make the mashed potato topping... So I ended up using some of the excess sauce. Worked out quite well so I think I'll be doing that more often.
Is that like Shepherd's pie, but with fish instead of land-based meat?
Worry Hat, Engage!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1575 on: 08 Nov 2012, 19:37 »

Is that like Shepherd's pie, but with fish instead of land-based meat?

Yeah, pretty much. I normally use salmon and hake, mix the fish with a mornay sauce and top with a thin layer of mashed potato before putting it in the oven for 15 minutes.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1576 on: 08 Nov 2012, 23:35 »

My daughter made parmesian crusted chicken breasts tonight (her treat).  She got the recipe off a Helman's mayonnaise jar...

It's really good. 

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1577 on: 09 Nov 2012, 06:09 »

Carl, I have totally eaten that before. And you're right- it is pretty good. :-)

While poking around for tasty but mushy food, I came across crab congee. Has anyone ever made this before? I'd like to try it but it looks difficult and I don't want to end up in over my head.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1578 on: 09 Nov 2012, 10:16 »

When in any crab dish over your head, the answer is always to eat your way out! 

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1579 on: 10 Nov 2012, 10:42 »

t-zero:

t plus one hour:

Cooking is easy with a blender!

(Yes, my blender does turn one giant carrot into carrot salad with corn, peanuts, chives, and lemon-mustard dressing. It's just that awesome.)
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

StevenC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #1580 on: 11 Nov 2012, 13:18 »

That's the biggest carrot I've ever seen in my life.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1581 on: 11 Nov 2012, 13:24 »

That's what she said.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #1582 on: 11 Nov 2012, 13:25 »

It's not the size that matters. It's how well it blends.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1583 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:20 »

[rimshot.mp3]

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1584 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:29 »

I think you might mean

http://instantrimshot.com/

EDIT: Thinking about it, an mp3 probably wouldn't be that good for sound effects like that - I'm pretty sure that mp3 files have short periods of silence at the start and end that make timing them awkward.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1585 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:35 »

Actually, I was referencing the last panel of this

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #1586 on: 11 Nov 2012, 14:42 »

So you were.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1587 on: 22 Nov 2012, 10:47 »

Happy Native American holocaust day.
My side dish. Red Chard with Chinese sausages and a reduction of scrumpy cider and shallots.
illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #1588 on: 24 Nov 2012, 10:12 »

I made what google translate tells me is a hotch pot, or a mash. Traditionally, these are made with potatoes, carrots and onions, cooked and all mashed together. Good with gravy. I made one by cooking potatoes, broccoli, mashing these, and adding sundried tomatoes, ham cubes and spring onion. The recipe also said to add some oil from the tomatoes and to garnish with feta or cream cheese. Was good!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1589 on: 25 Nov 2012, 17:52 »

TurnipsturnipsturnipsturnipsturnipspotatopotatopotatopotatopotatoyamyamyamyamyamyamyamyamyamcarrotcarrotcarrotcarrotcarrotcarrotBREAD.
Worry Hat, Engage!

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1590 on: 26 Nov 2012, 09:44 »

MMMMMMM...turnips are the BEST.

I had quite a large helping with Thanksgiving dinner this year- my mom makes them in a delicious cream sauce and they were melt-in-your-mouth tender. Which is great, considering that whole soft food diet thing. Woo.

Of course, it still took me 15-20 minutes longer to finish eating dinner. Even my 92 year old grandmother was done eating before me!

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #1591 on: 26 Nov 2012, 13:29 »

I'm not sure if this is cooking so much as mixing but the other day we smooshed together the perfect quantities of jello, cool whip, and strawberries for supreme deliciousness. 
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1592 on: 26 Nov 2012, 14:29 »

Mixing is cooking. 

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #1593 on: 26 Nov 2012, 14:49 »

yay  :lol: my post wasn't completely out of place
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Bluesummers

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1594 on: 26 Nov 2012, 18:58 »

Even my 92 year old grandmother was done eating before me!

Don't feel bad...she's got decades more of experience eating than you do.
Worry Hat, Engage!

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1595 on: 27 Nov 2012, 02:33 »

So... this is not exactly cooking related but... I've got this really weird phobia about talking about food. As soon as someone start describing something they ate and what it tasted like I have to either cut them off immediately or hope that the subject will drop. I can barely read some cooking books and mostly only read the parts which show how much of each ingredient you should use. What happens is not really a phobia-reaction since it's not really that uncomfortable, but I get super tense and my stomach clenches up.. and I start making weird faces without really knowing why. It's a lot more weird than it sounds. I get a physical reaction pretty much right away when someone start talking about stuff like "melting in your mouth" and "fresh salad" and and and and waaaaaaaghghhhghghghghhhghghghhghg

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #1596 on: 27 Nov 2012, 06:31 »

Yeah, that's weird, alright.   :-D

No cooking channel for you! 

lepetitfromage

« Reply #1597 on: 27 Nov 2012, 09:50 »

Even my 92 year old grandmother was done eating before me!

Don't feel bad...she's got decades more of experience eating than you do.

Hahahahaha I think you win for Best Possible Reply.  :-D

idontunderstand

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1598 on: 27 Nov 2012, 10:45 »

god dang it, now my grandiose confession ended up on the wrong page! dang you, lepetitfromage! dang you to heck!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1599 on: 27 Nov 2012, 11:10 »

Just made a chicken, leek and potato pie, and it was delicious.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47   Go Up