THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 17:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457811 times)

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #2100 on: 10 Oct 2014, 18:48 »

http://anightowlblog.com/2014/09/caramel-apple-sangria.html/

Oh shit!

GM gonna get y'all sauced up in it.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #2101 on: 14 Oct 2014, 12:12 »

Deep Fried Booze:
Step 1: Make or buy angel food cake
Step 2: Soak in booze. Especially tequila!
Step 3: Deep fry in oil
Step 4: Serve with powdered sugar, a light runny frosting, ice cream, whatever.
Step 5: Get drunk on desert
Step 6: ????
Step 7: Profit

Not sure about the tequila part, but the rest of it sounds good. Personally, I've always been more partial to rum balls.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #2102 on: 21 Oct 2014, 13:15 »

Forbidden rice, taboo meat
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Aimless

« Reply #2103 on: 21 Oct 2014, 15:37 »

I have to admit, kangaroo meat is probably one of the most gamey and odd and oddly unsettling red meats I've ever tried. The gameyness ended up being okay, but something still felt odd. I dunno if it's because of memories of Skippy or if it was because the thawed-out meat had a very unfamiliar smell, but I still feel like, "Hmmmm, something just wasn't right about that meal."

Anyway the rest of the meat has been turned into a Roo Bourguignon that I hopefully haven't burned

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2104 on: 21 Oct 2014, 18:28 »

I like Roo meat.
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2105 on: 27 Oct 2014, 17:38 »

Pan seared steak, baked tater and a new green beans method I just came up with, stir fry oil and "traditional" stir fry sauce with some garlic, olive oil, hot sauce (Sriracha) and a couple shots of soy sauce

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #2106 on: 07 Nov 2014, 11:56 »

Fuck yeah.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2107 on: 07 Nov 2014, 13:49 »

That looks like a container of pain there. Delicious, yummy pain.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2108 on: 07 Nov 2014, 13:58 »

It all went into my fairly epic chili that I just ate.

So delish.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2109 on: 07 Nov 2014, 17:15 »

I wish I could still do that. Stupid dumb body. Stupid damaged throat lining.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2110 on: 07 Nov 2014, 17:49 »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2111 on: 07 Nov 2014, 18:19 »

I had a cow-orker who once was cooking with his former wife, and they put their hands on peppers that make habeñeros look like something you'd feed to a baby, and then decided to get intimate.  The disturbing thing is that even after the burning started, they went with it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2112 on: 07 Nov 2014, 18:25 »

I'd say something here, but I've already made a comment about it in the past in the TMI thread.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2113 on: 08 Nov 2014, 04:58 »

I did a stupid and smelled under the sheets earlier. Really regretting the chili now.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2114 on: 08 Nov 2014, 05:50 »

I had a cow-orker who once was cooking with his former wife, and they put their hands on peppers that make habeñeros look like something you'd feed to a baby, and then decided to get intimate.  The disturbing thing is that even after the burning started, they went with it.

I take it the bolded part was a Freudian Slip?

And ghost chili + sex do NOT mix.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2115 on: 08 Nov 2014, 06:12 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2116 on: 08 Nov 2014, 13:18 »

You are, indeed, correct.  It was totally intentional.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2117 on: 09 Nov 2014, 13:11 »

Yesterday I made a spicy thing as well, which might not be the stuff of hellfire but it still made me pull out every neutraliser I had. I found a recipe for curry with potatoes, onion, spinach and mango chutney. Only the jar of mango chutney that I bought was the Indian kind, and was already fiercely spiced up, while I was expecting a sort of sweet jam. It didn't taste like mango at all really.

The recipe said to take a chopped onion, half a kilo of potatoes, skinned and cut into chunks, 250 grams of spinach, three teaspoons of mango chutney and two tablespoons of mild curry paste. Lightly fry the onion in the oil, then add the chutney and curry mixed with 150 ml of water and boil the potatoes in it for 20 minutes. Most of the water's going to evaporate in that time so the fire shouldn't be too high. Then boil the spinach for two minutes and it's done. Only in my case the whole thing almost boiled dry so I just added some more oil and stir-fried the spinach instead.

It did taste very good with some sour cream to take the edge off, so I might make it again without quite as much burn in it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
« Reply #2118 on: 05 Jan 2015, 02:19 »

Dare to build a better burger my friends.

Aimless

« Reply #2119 on: 25 Jan 2015, 09:56 »

How to cure a post-call hangover:

Black bean burger (rinse tinned black beans, dehydrate them on sheet-lined baking-tray in the oven, grind up with an egg, some dashi, soy, cumin, other spices, cheese of your choice, sautee some julienned leeks and celery with garlic and shelled seeds or nuts eg pumpkin, cashew, mix into the bean mush, form into firm patties and fry in olive oil on medium heat. Add some thinly chopped feta cheese and some mung bean sprouts for even more textural variation) and 75-degree egg with carelessly presented sous vide carrots and the best avocado ever.

Eeeggcellent...

Sponge cake with one layer of bananas caramelized in butter and sugar, one layer of homemade lemon curd, one layer of dulce de leche and just a bit of whipped cream.

Caramelized bananas have changed my life this week :o

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2120 on: 15 Mar 2015, 10:48 »

I tried to make bolo de rolo (a Brazilian style of roll cake with guava filling) this morning, and it did not go well:

I'm not entirely certain what went wrong (my best guess is that I didn't take into account that the humidity is very low and added too much flour), but the cakes came out way too thick, so I couldn't roll them. They tasted good, though, so I cut my losses and made a guava layer cake instead.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2121 on: 23 Apr 2015, 12:34 »

I made a bunch of quesadillas this week (recipe) and they've quickly become my favourite thing to make with tortillas. You can eat them with your hands, but they don't make a mess! There's enough cheese that the ingredients stick together and baking the whole thing makes the tortilla nice and crisp which keeps it in shape and not falling apart, and there's so much dry surface area that you won't get your hands dirty and beyond a single mixing bowl, your plate and cookware won't either. I made a big bowl of filling by mixing all the ingredients and keeping it in the fridge, using it for one quesadilla at a time. The author of the recipe recommends freezing them but refrigerating the filling itself is totally fine, the first one was just as tasty as the last.

I think I might add bell peppers to the mix next time, or some other vegetable to make it less fastfoodish. Though it's still fast to make, it's literally five minutes of baking once you have the mix done. I recommend you give it a shot.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2122 on: 30 Apr 2015, 20:49 »

Various stuff I have made:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #2123 on: 30 Apr 2015, 22:44 »

Is that falafel in the first shot, Hedgie? And what's in the soup in that third shot? I could use a new soup recipe...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2124 on: 30 Apr 2015, 22:56 »

Aye, that is falafel.  And as far as the soup goes, I'll have to dig up the recipe.  It's Thai style, in coconut milk.

Edit:  I'll have to look online, since it isn't where I keep such things.  My haphazard approach to cooking means that I didn't bother writing down what I *actually* did (I tend to improvise).  But Thai spices and chillis, obviously, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, lemongrass, basil, not much else.  I think there was chicken or vegetable stock in there as well.  Low heat, obviously, and throw the softer ingredients in towards the end.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2015, 00:13 by hedgie »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #2125 on: 01 May 2015, 07:55 »

I want all that, it looks so good.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #2126 on: 01 May 2015, 12:26 »

Aye, that is falafel.  And as far as the soup goes, I'll have to dig up the recipe.  It's Thai style, in coconut milk.

Edit:  I'll have to look online, since it isn't where I keep such things.  My haphazard approach to cooking means that I didn't bother writing down what I *actually* did (I tend to improvise).  But Thai spices and chillis, obviously, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, lemongrass, basil, not much else.  I think there was chicken or vegetable stock in there as well.  Low heat, obviously, and throw the softer ingredients in towards the end.

Thanks for looking, at any rate. I improvise quite a bit too. Between that and my inexact measurements (I do lots of dashes, pinches and handfuls unless I'm baking), nothing's the same twice.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2127 on: 01 May 2015, 20:53 »

I want all that, it looks so good.

It was, each time.  I tend to spend a lot of time, sometimes starting the night before for *some* of the prep work (for the cold items) beforehand.  There are a lot of things I hate about being single, but one of the worst for me is that I rarely find the impulse to cook.  As far as my own food goes, I'm content enough to just throw a sandwich or salad together or maybe make soup out of a can.  I much prefer to cook for others, and since I don't entertain much, I usually don't do stuff like that.  IT SUCKS BOLLOCKS.  I know that I could never take the stress of working in a commercial kitchen, I'd just rather do it for others.  Hell, the last time I spent 6 hours in a kitchen preparing a 5-course meal, and even a separate one for their dog, I couldn't even take time to enjoy the food since I was still making sure that the next course would be ready at the proper time. 

Thanks for looking, at any rate. I improvise quite a bit too. Between that and my inexact measurements (I do lots of dashes, pinches and handfuls unless I'm baking), nothing's the same twice.

Yeah, I tend to find stuff online that I want to cook, and then just modify the recipe to taste.  Much of the time it's mostly "what would be good now?"  But searching for Thai soups and using your imagination after finding something works pretty well. 

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #2128 on: 03 Jun 2015, 02:09 »

I have a bit of a glut of rhubarb out of the garden at the moment. Crumble is an obvious one and we've done a bunch of that. I've done a couple of rounds of muffins and they've gone down well. I still got a lot in the fridge and short of making jam, which my partner doesn't really like, I'm pondering some other things, preferably not loaded with vast amounts of sugar or fat. Turns out one of my favourite vegetables isn't conducive to healthy eating and I'm finding it hard to keep justifying it's use in unhealthy recipes.

Aimless

« Reply #2129 on: 07 Aug 2015, 12:38 »

So lunch was great although my photographic documentation needs improvement :o one of each item was borked so I got those but forgot to take photos of the nicer ones.

Kalix löjrom on butter-fried sourdough bread. The white stuff is a kind of sourcream with chopped shallots and fish-roe and the bread was rubbed with some raw garlic after being fried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalix_L%C3%B6jrom

Sous-vide chicken-breast with a ton of chimichurri + thin puff-pastry cup filled with fried wild mushrooms, shallots, parsley, a little cream, Västerbotten cheese, all topped with a sous-vide egg cooked at 75 C for about 13 mins. The chicken-breasts were brined overnight together with some spices. The puff-pastry turned out not to be a disaster :o the eggs got a little too cold and this one broke a little because I was slow and clumsy.

For dessert we made fro-yo. Drain vanilla yogurt overnight, mix with lemon-zest, cream and cornstarch, churn, freeze, serve with fruit and a little honey. Next time I'll probably mix in some Turkish yogurt too because this was a little too sweet but it tasted great and the texture was fantastic!!

Best of all... we could prep most things beforehand and putting it all together was relatively easy and painless which meant we could both enjoy hanging out with my in-laws.
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2017, 09:30 by Aimless »

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2130 on: 07 Aug 2015, 12:47 »

Those look yummy, especially the bread looks lovely. Want.

Aimless

« Reply #2131 on: 07 Aug 2015, 13:50 »

Make! The bread is super-easy and super-yummy :)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2132 on: 17 Aug 2015, 14:47 »

I've been preparing vanilla sugar to make marshmallows and now I smell of vanilla. Like, really strongly.

Also, I didn't know that citric acid (for sherbet) was irritating to find because of its being used for heroin stuff.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2133 on: 30 Aug 2015, 12:06 »

So the marshmallows went down really well (I don't have photos, they were eaten too quick), though I did discover that the mint I have in the garden doesn't make good sherbet.

Now I just need an excuse to do these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejT21ie-4OQ

Aimless

« Reply #2134 on: 19 Sep 2015, 06:49 »

So the ginger went elk-hunting again this year and, though the rest of the party didn't do as well as they did last year, she nabbed a nice one and came home with a ton of goodness in the form of mincemeat, tenderloins, steaks, liver and this month's number one hit: elk tongue. We brined it for about 5 days and then poached it in a delicious spicy broth for a few hours. Tongue is frustratingly difficult to find in Swedish grocery-stores (and on Swedish menus) but it's one of my favourite bits so dinner last night was really a treat :o whether hot or cold, as-is or fried or stewed or pickled or whatever, it's rich in flavour and has an incredible texture and consistency unlike regular ol' meat. The broth was transformed into a very nice soup today :) I need to figure out where I can get tongue for cheap in this godforsaken town.

I put one of the black cardamoms we stole from my mum's pantry into the broth and it was really nice, def. try it out if you get the chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_cardamom

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2135 on: 29 Jan 2016, 17:36 »

I decided that this forum needed more food. I like food. Maybe you do too.

So, to kick things off, I'll preface this by saying that various forms of kimchi omelette and pancake are one of my favourite standby meals when I am too lazy to think about what to cook.

Here is just one example. There are many out there.

http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kimchijeon
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2136 on: 30 Jan 2016, 01:03 »

I just finished off a great meatloaf I made a few days ago and had been cutting slices off of for sandwiches and dinners.  Only thing that would've made it perfect would have been if I had some bacon to have layered over it while in the oven to infuse it with bacon grease goodness.

I have a few pounds of venison thawing in the fridge now, going to make venison chili either tomorrow or Sunday.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #2137 on: 30 Jan 2016, 01:31 »

Should this thread be merged with the pre-existing cookery thread?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2138 on: 30 Jan 2016, 02:10 »

Gah. You know what they say about men's inability to find things in front of their noses. I'm true to stereotype, unfortunately.

I mean, as you can see.

Yeah, it should be merged.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2139 on: 02 Feb 2016, 05:06 »

(merged)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2140 on: 08 Feb 2016, 09:48 »

I have shoved a bunch of lemons, garlic and herbs together and the house smells fantastic. God knows how the food will actually turn out though.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2141 on: 11 Feb 2016, 16:00 »

My partner made this dish this week.

http://thewoksoflife.com/2014/11/dan-dan-noodles/

It's a bit on the oily side, but soo good.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2142 on: 22 Feb 2016, 11:15 »

Made some ridiculously cheesy mac and cheese based on this. Added chicken, bacon and cauliflower.

So unhealthy but yummy.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2143 on: 22 Feb 2016, 12:10 »

I don't have any food pr0n for this one, since I didn't think about it, but here's (vaguely) how I made a pretty nice soup that I have been eating for the past three days:

Broth: Fill pot with 3/4 chicken stock, 1/4 beef stock.  Add 4 crushed Thai chillis.  Grate about 2"/5cm fresh ginger.  Heat to a good simmer.

Chicken: All I had on hand was a large skinless chicken breast.  I'd have rather used something with skin to add some actual fat for more nutritional completeness.  Put in oven-safe dish, preheat oven to 350°F or 177°C.  Pour lime juice (1/3) and rice wine vinegar (2/3) until chicken is about 1/2 covered.  grate 2-4 (depending on size) cloves of garlic on top.  Add a liberal coating of curry spice mix[1], cover, and bake for 1/2 hour.

Veggies: 1 red bell pepper, spring onions (lots), bean sprouts (lots), sliced white mushrooms (or whatever you have on hand), Bok Choy/cabbage, broccoli.  Cut into bite-size pieces. 
Carbs: Soba noodles.  Cook, rinse, drain, set aside.

Once chicken is done, remove from oven, cut up chicken, poor all juices into broth.

Dump everything except for Bok Choy/Cabbage and soba noodles into broth

Simmer for about 1/2 hour.  5 min before serving, dump in bok choi/cabbage.

Place desired portion of soba noodles in bowl, put soup on top.  Garnish with fresh corriander/cilantro.

Enjoy.

Veggie alternatives:  Use vegetable stock instead.  I haven't tried it with miso, but I'm not sure how well the flavour would work.  Will investigate.  Instead of chicken, bake bean curd with spice mix.  Put the vinegar and lime juice into broth instead of baking thing.  Do not add bean curd until the same time bok choy/cabbage are added.

[1] I'll edit to provide the blend later.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2144 on: 10 Mar 2016, 17:38 »

Okay, the spice blend is coriander seeds, cumin, yellow mustard, fennel, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika and cayenne.  Made it again today with a miso broth.  VERY good.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2145 on: 12 Mar 2016, 18:28 »

http://brooklynfarmgirl.com/2013/07/10/homemade-peanut-butter-cups/

They are identical in flavour to Reese's, and I made them today. Turned out better than my M&M's, at least.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #2146 on: 18 May 2016, 18:20 »

It was while sitting down to a dinner of chicken pot pie, I realized I forgot to add the chicken.

I've forgotten ingredients before, but never title ingredients.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2147 on: 10 Aug 2016, 11:45 »

Everyone makes chili once in a while, right? Well, have you tried adding a stick of cinnamon to the pot while it's cooking? It's delicious! A teaspoon of ground cinnamon works just as well.

I've been making recipes from this food blog to my great satisfaction, but what I don't understand is why, in recipes with spinach, she usually uses frozen spinach. I don't know if the frozen spinach she gets is different from mine, but here the spinach is chopped finely and frozen in densely packed chunks, packaged in a cardboard box, and is almost entirely devoid of the taste of actual spinach. I've never made something with frozen spinach that tasted better because of it. Unless it's significantly worse than other frozen spinach I can't imagine why anyone would use it. Is it?

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #2148 on: 12 Aug 2016, 13:59 »

I've taken to making pasta bakes all the time. They are easy and by loading up the pasta, it stretches for three meals. Starting to get a little bored.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #2149 on: 12 Aug 2016, 15:22 »

LTK, I will use frozen spinach for saag paneer only because you are supposed to squeeze as much liquid out of the spinach as possible and it's a whole hell of a lot easier to do with frozen than fresh. But I honestly hate the taste of spinach, so both kinds taste equally bad to me. My husband (who is the one that devours saag paneer) doesn't really care either way in regards to fresh or frozen, he just really likes spinach. So neither of us really seem to notice much of a difference, even though we have very different tastes.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 47   Go Up