THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47   Go Down

Author Topic: A Cooking Thread?  (Read 457669 times)

gospel

• The German Chancellory building
  • the word
A Cooking Thread?
« on: 07 Oct 2008, 13:30 »

At the expense of flames, I have yet to see a cooking thread; so, here one is.

I'll start with something easy. I usually hated baking, but I decided to give it a try.

Alton Brown: Southern Biscuits
(Youtube Good Eats S1EP7)

These actually don't taste too bad. Certainly better than the pre-made stuff from the store. And, if I can figure it out anybody can. It works out fine with just regular all-purpose flour and not "biscuit" flour.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
Re: A Cooking Thread?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Oct 2008, 13:37 »

I think that's because there's one in the arts and crafts section isn't there? Or is that just baking?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 07 Oct 2008, 13:47 »

We had a cooking thread here a while ago, I'm sure the avid chefs will be here soon.

Social Bacon

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 07 Oct 2008, 13:55 »

The thread in Arts and Crafts specifies baking in the name, but people post cooking as well.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 07 Oct 2008, 13:59 »

That thread seems to be predicated on your supplying photos of your cooking, though.  For instance, there would be no point in mentioning that I made a Quiche Lorraine for supper this evening, as I didn't photograph it (I ate  it, naturally).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #5 on: 07 Oct 2008, 15:08 »

Oh yeah, another cooking thread. I'm always down. Be back later, I've got my free day tomorrow so i should have time to cook.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2008, 21:08 »

Right, a double post to reveal my night of cooking! Me and my friend Matt:

decided to have an "easy cooked" meal, wherein we'd provide two dishes a piece. I made Orange BBQ shrimp and orange jell-o shots for dessert. He brought to the table "the easiest pasta dish ever" (pasta, bag of frozen veggies, chicken, microwaved. Actually turned out pretty good) and TGI Fridays fried green bean appetizers. He says its easy, I say its cheating, but they're delicious and so I couldn't complain.

Orange BBQ shrimp:
2 lbs of jumbo size shrimp
like, two cups of your favorite sweet bbq sauce
cup of orange juice, in this case fresh squeezed due to second recipe

put shrimp in zipper bag with orange juice and bbq sauce, slosh em around, let sit for a couple hours. Cook in big pan.

Orange Jell-o shots

as per the easy to follow recipe on Food Network.com I think mine turned out pretty well. We used Clementines rather than a full sized orange for most of them, though we did make one bigger one as a test. Delicious vodka/citrus test it was.

And I also stewed some tomatoes in the leftover sauce from the shrimp and put that on top of that and the pasta.

TGI Fridays cheating:

And the finished meal:

And leftover jell-o that we couldn't waste:

Edit: Occurs to me that I forgot to post the link to the site: http://www.foodtv.ca/recipes/recipedetails.aspx?dishid=6412
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2008, 21:34 by Boro_Bandito »
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2008, 00:16 »

picture of green bean fries
oh man they sell those at the store? i hate t.g.i. fridays but those green bean fries they have there are amazing.

cooking... um.. i have some recipes. i make some pretty decent meatballs. and stuffed shells. and lasagna. if anyone is interested, i guess. jason likes them... i hope he's not just lying to me because he has to like them.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #8 on: 11 Oct 2008, 04:46 »

Tonight, to go with the left-over Russian lamb stew that I cooked last night, I made some mashed potatoes. Opening the fridge door to get some milk (because what's mashed potato without a bit of milk?), I noticed a jar of anchovies that I'd bought some time earlier, and I thought to myself: "Well, why not?"

Oh my god yes.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2008, 05:33 »

Oh shit, that sounds amazing. Oh shit.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2008, 05:45 »

By that stage I had already put the garlic and the butter in the mashed potato.

Truly, tonight I ate the Mash of Kings.
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2008, 05:51 by Inlander »

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2008, 21:46 »

@Inlander:Ilvoeanchovies and mashed potatoes, but I'venever thought to mix them. I will try this soon.

I haven't cooked in a while. I think the last dish I made was chicken provencal with hericot verde almondine and sweet potato fries, about a week ago.  Everything turned out good, but I don't think the provencal and the hericot verde go particularlywell together.

Recipes forthose who might like to try:

Provencal topping
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, 1/2ed
- 1 cup nicoise olives,pitted and halved (kalamatas work nicely aswell)
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup capers, drained and sauteed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil

Mix all ingredients together until well-coated. Placeon sheetpan in 400F oven for approx 10 minutes, untilheated through. Serve over baked or grilled chicken breast.

Hericot verde almondine

- 1lb Hericot Verde (Or regulargreen beans in a pinch)
- 1lb Unslated butter, chopped into 1inpieces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- juice from 1lemon
- 8oz Chardonnay
- 1 sachet (2tsp black peppercorns and 1 bay leaf tied up in cheesecloth)
- 1/2 cup crushed almonds, blanched and toasted

Blanch the hericot verde until bright green, approx 45sec to 1 min, and shock in ice bath.

Place chardonnay and sachet in a saucepan, and reduce over medium high heat until almost dry. Turn heat to low, and slowly add raw butter, whisking constantly. Once all butterhas been added, remove from heat, and remove sachet. Add cream and lemon juice, as well as the almonds.  Serve over blanched hericot verde.

Sweet Potato fries.

Slice as many sweet potatoes as needed (1/2 per person roughly) into 1/4inch thick rounds, and blanch in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until mostly soft.  Dry, and place on sheetpan in 350F oven for approx 7-10 minutes, or until cooked through. I like to season mine with Thyme-infused olive oil and sea salt when done.

Cooking is fun!
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

CarrionMan

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • The RP Syndicate
« Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2008, 22:32 »

I was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to make around… 108 breakfast burritos in an hour. They'll contain scrambled eggs, bacon, and potatoes(minus some because of vegans, egg people, etc.), and some herbs and spices. Is there any way to really make this easy?

I need them for the UCLA band day next Saturday.
"I am accusing war. I am accusing man. I am accusing universal stupidity."

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2008, 23:40 »

Well, your ingredients are pretty simple. The best way to do it is to get a couple friends, and assembly line it. find out how many of each you need. I think the most complicated part of your problem is time and the amount.

-Karamazov-

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2008, 03:03 »

I was wondering if anyone knew an easy way to make around… 108 breakfast burritos in an hour. They'll contain scrambled eggs, bacon, and potatoes(minus some because of vegans, egg people, etc.), and some herbs and spices. Is there any way to really make this easy?

I need them for the UCLA band day next Saturday.

scramble a hell of a lot of eggs, cook a lot of bacon and potatoes, Mix them all together, and just keep spooning them onto tortillas and folding till you reach 108.

what would be in a breakfast burrito for a vegan?  Just a tortilla and potatoes?  I say just pick up some oranges or something for them.  If your doing this out of the goodness of your heart, no sense trying to please absolutely everybody.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2008, 15:26 »

I'm seeing a chef.

He wants me to cook for him.

What do I do?
Ho, ho, ho!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2008, 16:45 »

My favorite part of the orange jello shots, is this quote from the recipe page.

REMEMBER, YOU ARE SERVING SOLID BOOZE.

hahahah
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

gospel

• the word
« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2008, 16:50 »

I'm seeing a chef.

He wants me to cook for him.

What do I do?
I don't think he expects you to be as good as he is :P

Depending on your skill level, http://foodnetwork.com has easy to difficult recipes.

Though, I made this baked artichoke w/ lemon and garlicl for dinner tonight. It turned out fantastic, and was really easy. You could also make nice, quarter-cuts of mushrooms too (covered) and steamed. I find steak seasoning goes really well on mushrooms. If you want, you can slice up some onion and green peppers to go with the mushrooms. Just season with salt/pepper/garlic/Italian or Steak seasoning, cover, heat for about 40-45m at 350 (same as the artichoke). 

If he's more into meat, make him steak =P

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."

-Abraham Lincoln

nobo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2008, 19:32 »

I have some chicken stew going in my crockpot right now

ingredients
-6 chicken breasts
-2 cans of cream of chicken soup
-1 onion
-3 potatoes

I stuck all that in the crock pot and poured in enough chicken broth to cover. Put it on low for 5 hours before I added corn and cheese tortellini, and then cooked it on low for another 2 hours.

What you end up with is a really hearty creamy chicken soup. Its great warm dinner for a colder day.
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2008, 20:11 »

Carrots would be a good addition to that, as would some simple dumplings, flour, water salt and pepper, made to a thick doughy consistency and bam, chicken and dumpling stew.

octodexy

« Reply #20 on: 13 Oct 2008, 00:04 »

I am required to make six loaves of soda bread. I don't even know where I can purchase buttermilk at. I called the grocery store, and they didn't know what buttermilk was. I'm also struggling to find a soda bread recipe from a source other than my gramma that doesn't sound like it will be heavy like a stone. Goodness.

I'm sure none of you make soda bread often, if ever, but I'm wondering if I can substitute a cup of whole wheat flour with a cup of cornmeal.

I've heard of substituting buttermilk with plain yogurt, but that just seems bizarre to me.

Also, a good way to cook scrambled eggs in a short period of time is to put them into a ziplock bag around squish them up, and boil them in a pot. Then when they're done cooking, let the water cool, and they'll stay warm in the bags in the water. You grab a bag and put as many eggs as you need on there. I'm sure you can put like a dozen or more eggs in gallon ziplock bags, easily, with no problems. I've only ever done it with two eggs, though. That only takes like a few minutes.

nobo

« Reply #21 on: 13 Oct 2008, 04:39 »

Boro,

how thick exactly? should it be liquidy but hard to mix? or more solid, kind of like pizza dough before you make it?
Well yes but (sorry andy) she doesn't look half as fucking bad ass as this motherfucker in Poland.

Dude is hardcore.

Patatat

« Reply #22 on: 13 Oct 2008, 07:14 »

I just kind of usually throw a bunch of stuff together and hope that it turns out good. Most of the time it does and if it doesn't I can usually fix it. Everytime I try to stick to ingredients it never works out. I always get distracted and I am a complete spice nut. I have to spice and sauce the shit out of everything.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #23 on: 13 Oct 2008, 08:06 »

You can make a buttermilk substitute with milk and I think lemon juice. Or was it vinegar? I will look it up after I get out of bed. Also, where ARE you that the grocer doesn't know what buttermilk is? Not the South, clearly.

Edit: Okay, I'm up. According to the More with Less cookbook, you can make buttermilk from dry milk powder, but on looking up the recipe it is really telling you how to stretch commercial buttermilk. A better bet is this, from the back cover:

To substitute for 1 c. sour milk, use 1 c. buttermilk OR 1 c. yogurt OR 1 and 1/3 T. vinegar or lemon juice plus milk to make 1 c.

I think that last option is the one my grandmother used to do when she ran out of buttermilk for baking.

« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2008, 08:22 by Edith »
Ho, ho, ho!

-Karamazov-

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #24 on: 13 Oct 2008, 08:28 »

I think its an emulsion of cream, milk, and an acid (probably lemon juice).  This will make a buttermilk flavored substitute, but it probably will not have any of the cooking properties of real buttermilk.  Most likely it will have a different reaction to baking soda and powder.

I think you can actually make a better buttermilk substitute with sour cream and milk/ half and half.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #25 on: 13 Oct 2008, 11:13 »

Boro,

how thick exactly? should it be liquidy but hard to mix? or more solid, kind of like pizza dough before you make it?

More like pizza dough, once you've gotten it to that either tear, cut up or roll the dough into balls (I sorta make lumpy noodlelike stuff outta mine) and drop it in the soup to cook, which it will. Though if you're worried you can boil them in water first.

Also I lied, you also need a couple teaspoons baking powder, and you can use butter and milk instead of water if you want, though my grandmother and Mom's opinions differ on which is better. I've actually found a copy of the recipe, so I can actually give you some measurements, still really easy though!

2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons butter
3/4 cup milk, or 3/4 water, or 1/2 of either depending on if you want them a bit more doughy
Pepper and other flavorings to taste if you want to get fancy, though they'll really get flavored by the chicken stew just fine. Combine all the ingredients and mix until the above consistency.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2008, 11:17 by Boro_Bandito »

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #26 on: 13 Oct 2008, 12:56 »

I have settled on a salad. Main course and dessert to be announced later.

A bed of young arugula (called "rocket" in Oz and possibly Britain), topped with grilled baby zucchini, halved cherry tomatoes, goat cheese, pine nuts, and served with some kind of mild vinaigrette. Maybe baby cucumbers, too, if they have them at the store.
Ho, ho, ho!

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #27 on: 13 Oct 2008, 14:55 »

Yep, it's called rocket here.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #28 on: 13 Oct 2008, 16:46 »

-The Breakfast Wad-

STEP 1: fry one flour/corn tortilla (personal preference) in a pan with butter (not oil!), periodically coating the top with honey, suger, and cinnamon then flipping it over. rinse, repeat until both sides have a nice, sugery coating.

STEP B (to be done simultaneously with step 1 for most delicious results): fry or poach an egg

STEP 2: wrap tortilla around egg so that it resembles a 'wad'

STEP 3: consume.

i'm pretty sure i've posted this before in past cooking threads but it's the only thing i know how to make, and it's tastey.

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #29 on: 13 Oct 2008, 17:10 »

Damn, that sounds good. You can post that as often as you want. I might just re-post it right now, just for kicks. Hell yeah.

-The Breakfast Wad-

STEP 1: fry one flour/corn tortilla (personal preference) in a pan with butter (not oil!), periodically coating the top with honey, suger, and cinnamon then flipping it over. rinse, repeat until both sides have a nice, sugery coating.

STEP B (to be done simultaneously with step 1 for most delicious results): fry or poach an egg

STEP 2: wrap tortilla around egg so that it resembles a 'wad'

STEP 3: consume.
Ho, ho, ho!

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #30 on: 13 Oct 2008, 18:22 »

Man, stuffing chicken breast is a pain. You can't stuff it before it cooks or the things being stuffed get over done, but it doesn't want to move correctly after being cooked. I think I'll just continue with the cutting a slot into the chicken.

But seriously, Pesto and Feta stuffed chicken sounds really great to me. I will make it happen.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #31 on: 13 Oct 2008, 19:23 »

Maybe stuff a half-cooked chicken? I don't know, I've never tried it. And yeah, you've totally posted that before, and I still haven't tried it. Mainly because eggs and cinnamon don't sound like all that great an idea to me.

nobo

« Reply #32 on: 13 Oct 2008, 19:50 »

how bout cutting the slot in the chicken before you fry/cook/bake it. once its done, put the stuffing the in the slot and then broil for about 5-10 minutes to finish it off.

Dude is hardcore.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #33 on: 13 Oct 2008, 19:52 »

Or how about freezing the stuffing things first so they take longer to cook?
Ho, ho, ho!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #34 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:14 »

That would add a lot of extra water that may or may not help.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #35 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:27 »

I cut it before hand and the cut sort of seals, hm..  more experimentation is needed.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #36 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:29 »

Delicious experimentation!

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #37 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:30 »

Hm. I wouldn't think it would add water. Unless you mix the ingredients with water before you freeze them, I don't see why it would add any more water than using them unfrozen.

Also, I just modified the "egg wad" recipe. I used pasta instead of a tortilla. Cooked the pasta, moved it to a plate, put an egg in the hot water, put butter, sugar and cinnamon on the pasta, let the butter melt, then added the poached egg on top. It was pretty yummy.

I need to get my quart of honey; I keep forgetting to pick it up when I see my friend Mike. He accidentally ended up with six.

Edit OH! What if you cut the chicken beforehand and HELD IT OPEN somehow? Like with a piece of cedar plank, like you use for grilling? Or stick a whole egg in there; you can make egg salad later.
Ho, ho, ho!

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #38 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:33 »

Edit OH! What if you cut the chicken beforehand and HELD IT OPEN somehow? Like with a piece of cedar plank, like you use for grilling?

THIS is golden.
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2008, 20:42 by Beren »

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #39 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:36 »

Well, what it would do is suck some of the moisture out of the filling itself and leave it on the outside, potentially actually drying the filler and making the chicken itself watery. Though if it's only been frozen for a short time this wouldn't be too bad. I wish I knew what Alton Brown would say.

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #40 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:36 »

He would say what any scientist would say:

EXPERIMENT!
Ho, ho, ho!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #41 on: 13 Oct 2008, 20:44 »

Actually found a recipe of his for stuffed pork chops.

I think the trick is high heat. yeah, normally that has the potential of leaving the middle uncooked or undercooked but in this case the center will cook faster anyway so you want the outside to have a race with the inside. At least, that's what I think his reasoning is for grilling on high, since pork chops and chicken both are usually supposed to be cooked well done (though the chances for salmonella and other disease is pretty remote and I don't always cook up till charred by any stretch of the imagination). Also, to prevent the inside from falling out and to seal against that heat getting in too early I know some people will use soaked toothpicks, shish kebab sticks or dowel rods to hold the sides together. But like I said I have little to no experience on this matter so it's all conjecture.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #42 on: 13 Oct 2008, 21:51 »

I've found the best way to stuff chicken breast is to use a narrow blade to slice into the rounded end of the breast at it's thickest point. Work it inside a bit to make a pocket,but be careful to not cut all theway through the breast.  Then, place your filling in a pastry bag with a tip and pipe it in. If it still has problems, you could try sewing the pocket closed or skewering it shut with a toothpick.

If the pocket is properly sealed, you shouldn't have any problems with the filling cooking faster than the chicken.

Also, I'd just like to point out that it is safe to eat pork at medium temperatures (140+).  Since pigs aren'tslopped anymore, there's no real danger of trichinosis.  Commercially-raised chickens, however, basically all have salmonella.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #43 on: 14 Oct 2008, 02:21 »

Then, place your filling in a pastry bag with a tip and pipe it in.

Oh, I like that. Feta might be a bit chunky though, but that will certainly help.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #44 on: 14 Oct 2008, 12:59 »

You can always grate it or throw it in a robot coupe for a minute. It'll lose some of it's texture, but it becomes much easier to pipe.

allison

• i really want a mustache
« Reply #45 on: 14 Oct 2008, 14:17 »

So this past weekend was Canadian Thanksgiving and I thought I'd share my absolute favourite family recipe. It's really not difficult and it's freaking delicious. We call it smash. I don't know, it's been a staple at Thanksgiving and Christmas since...always.

1 medium turnip
5-7 large carrots
4 tbsp butter
Salt/Pepper to taste

Just cube the vegetables and boil. When they're cooked, mash them together with the butter, salt and pepper. It's a really tasty, brightly coloured dish that looks great and goes perfectly with turkey and potatoes!
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #46 on: 14 Oct 2008, 15:04 »

You can add swede as well.  It is particularly good when eaten in a friend's Scottish castle alongside haggis, with a good whisky on the side.
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2008, 15:37 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #47 on: 14 Oct 2008, 15:06 »

Mmm, the time honored tradition of mashing roots into a delicious substance that is granpa's dentures friendly. I've recently found a love for sweet potatoes myself,  and they're really easy to mash, you don't even have to boil them, just pan-fry/steam em for long enough until they're soft, with the salt/pepper/butter thingy, and they are good to go.

gospel

• the word
« Reply #48 on: 14 Oct 2008, 16:52 »

I'm sort of surprised any grocery wouldn't know what buttermilk is. And, yes, you can simply put lemon juice or vinegar in 2% milk and let it fester for 15m.

I am also jealous of your slow cooker ;/.

I had to figure something to do with the giant ass turkey I got (buying in bulk more these days). So, after spending the pain-in-ass time to carve the meat from it, I decided to play with panko crumbs which I had never done before. I have to say I think I enjoy panko crumbs for turkey or even chicken better than Italian mixes. It's nice and light and goes well with some Parmesan cheese/olive oil/fresh parsley. Arugula was a simple olive oil/lemon juice/pepper mix.

Also, Korean dumplings, mandu, from the other night. Video Recipe by Maangchi. Korean food hits the comfort spot, but god it's a pain in the ass to make. Heh, and yeah, my mom talks exactly like she does in that video.

Downloaded seasons 1-11 of Good Eats. Alton is making me really wish I had a bigger kitchen and whatever "smoked" cumin is.

-Abraham Lincoln

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #49 on: 14 Oct 2008, 17:50 »

Downloaded seasons 1-11 of Good Eats. Alton is making me really wish I had a bigger kitchen and whatever "smoked" cumin is.

Whoo, me too. And not to mention Grains of Paradise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47   Go Up