THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 12:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who Here Does/Has Done Anything Involving Radio?  (Read 5831 times)

PassiveTheory

Just curious.

Currently I DJ at KZSC, UC Santa Cruz's college radio station, and my show is from 8:30 to 10:30pm on Friday nights. It streams online at kzsc.org. And last summer I worked with KBZT San Diego (FM 94/9)'s promotional department, and that was kinda fun.

But yeah, who here does or has done anything involving either commercial or non-commercial radio? Got any good stories to tell?

My old boss at KBZT pretty much told me that he fucking hates Death Cab for Cutie because, of the three times their management organized something involving the band and the radio station, they acted like total dicks every time, ranging from asking why there's not a private elevator for the band to putting on an intimate acoustic in-studio performance but having the gall to avoid talking to any of the people that won tickets to the event, much less acknowledging their presence. Weird.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Who Here Does/Has Done Anything Involving Radio?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2008, 12:12 »

I used to DJ a total of 4 hours a week at a pirate radio station for a couple years.  It was fun, because I just played whatever I wanted to.

Unfortunately, I can't use that experience to get a "real" radio job because admitting you have ever participated in a pirate station automatically excludes you from any FCC-approved job.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2008, 12:31 »

I've done a bit of sketch comedy on the campus radio station here, KAOS.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2008, 12:39 »

Ephemere had (has?) a radio show up in ol' Canada. Tommydski co-hosted a few of them. I'd dig up the thread were I not a lazy yank.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2008, 13:00 »

I worked in BBC Radio as a Studio Manager for a while around 1970; but I guess the stories I have to tell wouldn't be of much interest here.  Like what it feels like to sit at a desk, and switch on the microphone between programs to say "This is the BBC European Service; the program that follows will be in Polish"; or what you do if a cleaner walks into the studio showing a red "on-air" light with a vacuum cleaner; or when the microphone fader knob comes off in your hand when the man in the studio expects it to be faded down so that he can hear the insert tape; or multi-tracking pop groups by repeatedly over-recording on mono 1/4" tape at 15ips; or wearing a dinner jacket to go on stage during a concert at the Albert Hall to move a microphone between items; or playing 17" diameter disks of Arabic music in the middle of the night; or the game presenters would play of giving a false end to a sentence and then adding just a couple of words as you released the disk you were cueing in...
« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2008, 14:17 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Christophe

• Duck attack survivor
  • FUCK IT, WE'LL DO IT LIVE
    • last.fm!
« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2008, 14:04 »

I used to be part of the radio club at UC Merced, but they're still waiting on the FCC license and fun stuff like that.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #6 on: 11 Oct 2008, 16:00 »

I have a radio show at my school, Bard College, in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY. My show is called "Lost and Safe" and I play mostly "post-rock", noise, drone, ambient ect. Sometimes I throw some other stuff in for good measure. The show is on Sunday from 4pm-6pm and can be listened to online at wxbc.bard.edu along with a whole host of pretty excellent other shows. I'm also on the staff of the station and have worked in publicity and booking in the past. It's rather fun and has its benefits (I get to go to CMJ in NY for free this year for example).
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #7 on: 11 Oct 2008, 16:06 »

Man, you have just done everything pwhodges
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

heartwork

« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2008, 07:01 »

I ran a community based net radio station for about a year just after I started college.  It was pretty good fun, until we decided to look into making it into a proper (ie legal) net radio station, and discovered the fees for royalties etc were absolutely ridiculous.  It eventually fizzled out sadly, we had DJs who were just random communtiy members on it and after a while they'd start not turning up or whatever.  Shame really, it was a lot of fun while it lasted.  I'd love to get into it again at some point.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2008, 07:36 »

october1983 played one of my tracks on his radio show once.

webcest: coming soon to your radio.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Hljómalind

« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2008, 08:33 »

I did a jazz show at midnight on my student radio station for a year, with a listenership that varied between 1 and 3 (to be fair, the station average wasn't much higher).

Kyros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2008, 08:46 »

I've DJ'ed at my campus Radio Station in Oneonta, NY going on 2 years now.  It's a lot of fun and it went from something I just like to do for fun to something I'd love to do for a living post-graduation in a couple years.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2008, 17:53 »

I've DJ'ed at my campus Radio Station in Oneonta, NY going on 2 years now.  It's a lot of fun and it went from something I just like to do for fun to something I'd love to do for a living post-graduation in a couple years.

A friend of mine goes there!

Sorry for the pointless post  :laugh:
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

Albatron

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2008, 07:14 »

i used to do a college radio show, mostly metal, but the station is run by students who only care about their grade, not about music, so it started to suck.

I also worked at a real local radio station, but I didn't make out of training before they did the whole, not gonna put you on the schedule ever again to passively fire you thing. They had no labels on their old ass boards and expected me to remember everything the first or second time through. plus they were bible thumpers, bleh.

Puki

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #14 on: 26 Nov 2008, 03:49 »

I do a radio show two times a month about conspiracy theories, aliens, misteries and so on. It's fun. And they sometimes let me do playlists.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #15 on: 29 Nov 2008, 00:56 »

I've done various shows over the last couple of years on WVKC, the student station at my school. Sometimes it's me sitting in the studio playing post-rock and doing homework, and sometimes it's a bit more interesting. One time I had a power metal show. We did a live radio drama that involved an in-studio interview with a dragon.  It culminated with him eating most of the studio audience before being placated by Rhapsody's "Power of the Dragonflame". I was really weird as a freshman, I think.

Next term I'm doing a show where a friend and I pick a genre or mood, and she makes up a story while I improvise music. The first week's theme will be hard-boiled cop noir, and we'll figure it out from there.

Also, some friends of mine have a show where they get really high in the studio and play experimental tracks. Sometimes if the mood strikes they do a stream-of-consciousness narrative over the top of the record and inevitably break some FCC rules.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #16 on: 29 Nov 2008, 18:12 »

I want a Pirate Radio station. In fact, I'm already looking into Buying the parts to build a transmitter (cheaper to build than to buy).
I doubt that any of the real radio stations down here actually pay Royalty fees, so I won't have too much trouble. Anyone went to Culinary school (specifically Culinary Institute of America) and know if they did radio?
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2008, 06:37 »

I do a weekly show on freshair.org.uk

Play whatever I want to in general. Sometimes I do a theme.

However, cause of pretty expensive licencing and such in the UK, and since it's a student radio station, we don't broadcast FM, just streaming.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Lolocaust

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2008, 16:49 »

My old boss at KBZT pretty much told me that he fucking hates Death Cab for Cutie because, of the three times their management organized something involving the band and the radio station, they acted like total dicks every time, ranging from asking why there's not a private elevator for the band to putting on an intimate acoustic in-studio performance but having the gall to avoid talking to any of the people that won tickets to the event, much less acknowledging their presence. Weird.

thats sad to hear.

glyphic

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #19 on: 02 Dec 2008, 14:35 »

I just got a job as a sports producer at WJBM in Jerseyville, Il. I get to announce a list of sponsors and cue up commercials that air between quarters of high school basketball games.

It's everything I imagined it could be!

In all fairness, I'm actually excited to do the job. I'm also excited by the prospect of using it to get a better job in a bigger station some day. Gotta get into the music industry somehow, you know?

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #20 on: 07 Dec 2008, 17:09 »

me and a friend did three two-hour punk/rock/metal shows on a local student-run radio station in boston, UK.  the station itself did really well considering it only broadcast for 20miles, and apparently we actually got quite a lot of listeners for our show, despite it being from 10 til midnite.  they did stream it online too.  might be doing a few shows again this xmas, i'll post the new website when they finish it!

i tell thee what though, it's a pain in the arse having to carefully re-listen to every playlist i put together to check for swearing (community license forbids profanity, and i found internet-lyrics to not always be too reliable...).

DanteShepherd

« Reply #21 on: 07 Dec 2008, 17:55 »

We used to be part of a college radio show on WJRH called Bulgarian Hoo-hah, where there were two very different perspectives - one, a guy from Bulgaria who liked to play nothing but techno, and me, a guy from the U.S. who liked to play nothing but alternative rock.  Needless to say, we ended up yelling at each other more during the breaks about how awful we thought each other's music was, but people did enjoy listening to us if they could pick us up - considering the broadcasting power amounted to a local listener radius of about a can of soup, there really wasn't a lot we could do.

The best part of the show were the PSAs.  Now, we were required to play two full minutes of PSAs per hour.  We never did.  At most, playing two minutes per hour, usually half that.  But we never chose PSAs that were all that useful.  Instead, we found a reggae version of a song about making lemonade out of lemons that life might hand to you, and an announcement about housing discrimination against Chinese immigrants that was completely dubbed in Chinese.  These were provided in the PSA stack the station gave to us, so we were completely fulfilling our committment by playing them.  Still though . . . hilarious.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 07 Dec 2008, 17:58 »

I had a show for like three years on KNDS, which is both a community and college radio station. We split it.

So first I had the Doug and Brittany Show then Doug studied in Africa so it was the Brittany (Not Doug) Show, then it was All Roads Lead to Awesome. Though from the playlist it was really more "all roads lead to twee pop and folk". I'm still pretty proud of that Halloween show though... all those covers are really good.

I got into a bunch of shows for free and interviewed a couple, though I totally and completely fucked up Akron/Family. It wasn't my fault really, the phone to on air was working fine but he couldn't hear us on our side. I just didn't know how to fix it.

I would HATE a job in radio though. While I loved doing my own show-- it was like creating a weekly mixtape that I shared with a couple hundred people-- in basically any job you'd get as a radio personality or dj or programmer, you wouldn't have any control over any of the music or even most of the content of what you even say. I wouldn't have been able to get away with half the shit I said on my show on a regular station even though I didn't swear.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

sherrou

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2008, 13:31 »

i had a radio show from september of second year til october of third year when i was in college in the west of ireland, it was good craic - i liked it muchly!

my show was all about new irish music, 'next big thing' etc. found out today that the lead singer of a band that i had to interview stole somethign like €14,000 from her day job. i don't feel the least bit sorry for her, she was so awful any time i ever dealt with that band. She didn't bother doing the interview, seemed to think she was above interviews for college radio stations. pfft.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2008, 14:10 »

Ephemere had (has?) a radio show up in ol' Canada.

still do! it is from 6-8pm on sunday nights at my university's community radio station. tommy only links it when he cohosts it but i have been doing it every week for almost 2 years now.
it is a lousy time slot and all i really do is play punk and talk about it. a couple of days ago though, someone emailed me saying they loved my show and it was their favourite one at the station so it's good to know someone's still listening.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.
Pages: [1]   Go Up