Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pets.  (Read 30675 times)

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
Pets.
« on: 20 Nov 2008, 22:49 »

So.. I was bored.. (And waiting on the comic) so I clicked on the random button a few times.
It looks like only Dora and Sven have a pet.
They both have a cat.
They're the only people in the comic with a pet, they're related and they both have cats.
One white and one black.
Made me laugh a little.. I don't think I've seen any other pets in the comic.

So I was wondering what sort of pets everyone else has/has in their life.

I've.. had.. a few.

In my short lifetime.. I've (Including the family members that I live with..) had

Dogs: 9
Cats: 10
Gerbils: 2 (Named them after my parents, the twin's cat ate them.)
Hamsters: 4
Birds: 3
Squirrels: 2 (Briefly)
Turtles: 2
Chinchillas: 7
Iguana: 1
Ferrets: 1
Fish: ...way too many to remember. Had three betas. TONS of gold fish... Had a salt water aquarium with a horseshoe crap, urchin, some intruding fire worm thing, and a bunch of pretty fish.

My favorite of the lot?
Tuesday, my ferret. As of now she's my favorite. She's a nice size where she can be really playful but not hurt me while going about it. She sleeps on my stomach when I sleep, or my lap when I'm on the computer. She does her little war dance around my room. She chases the dogs away. She pooped on my boyfriend. She escapes my room by scaling a baby fence-- climbs onto a desk and then jumps at my dad. She's overall just awesome.

Chow, my first chinchilla, would have to be second on the list..
He wasn't really something I could play with.. and if I picked him up and scared him.. he'd release all his fur and wiggle away. He was cool though. My shoulder was his throne. He'd give me kisses and do back flips off of the walls.. but.. yeah.. couldn't really play with him. He was just good for cuddling. Soft as hell.

Pets that I've always wanted but never had? Uhh... I like horses. I don't know if I have what it takes to care for one yet... but maybe in the future. I've always wanted a pet fox though. ..I'm the type of person that wants to bring everything home. I drove my parents nuts.

Sooo. I guess what I'm getting at is-

1. List of pets you have/or had
2. Favorites? Least favorites?
3.Any desire to get a new pet, or just think having one would be cool?

Or anything else pet related would be cool. :P Pictures are nifty as well.

***I hope this is in the right place
Take you to the stabbing cabin.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Pets.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:11 »

Seven chinchillas?

Are you shittin' me?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:23 »

I have two dogs.

They are my least favorite pets.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:26 »

Seriously. That is a lot of chinchillas. Man, what the hell? Looking at that list, over all you have had a lot of pets. How old are you?

Anyway, right now I have a dog, and I am trying to get rid of her. I'd like to get a rat, but hell, considering that I am fed up with my dog, I don't see how getting a rat, which will require a lot more attention, is a good idea right now. Plus, I've got too much shit going on to take care of anyone else. So I'd rather not bring any animal into this situation. Maybe once I have found a place to settle, and things start to calm down, I will get myself a pet rat, but until then I don't need to worry about getting another pet.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:28 »

Yeah, seven. One male, six female. The women were crazy. They were mean. I hated them all.
When I let them out of their cages.. it would be like furry bouncy balls all over the room.
I'm 18.

And I laughed a little while reading that. i'm not sure if i'm just tired and laughing at everything.. but. ha. My dad says dogs are just like having another kid- but they don't grow up. Smaller pets are nice.. they're not so attention needy.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:40 »

I have a bunch of birds. I used to have a dog too. He was a bad-ass dog.

My friend had a couple of hamsters and they bred and then she ended up with seventeen of them; this led to her once prefacing a story with "when I had seventeen hamsters", which is now one of my favorite phrases ever.
it's time to stop posting

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:43 »

With my dog, I fill her food dish up maybe twice a day, same with water(both I usually full, she doesn't starve). I let her out to do what she needs. And she entertains herself. She is pretty self suficiant.

If I had a rat, I'd need to change its water at least once a day(maybe more because I am anal retentive and would worry it wasn't clean enough). I'd have to feed it dry food in one dish, wet food in another, and I'd have to monitor treats. I'd have to clean it's cage, once a week if I am being an ok owner, and cleaning out all the nasty spots as soon as I spot them if I want to be an awesome owner. Plus, rats are very social creatures, and unlike my dog who can roam around my house and play with my siblings, a rat would spend most of its day in a cage. I'd need to take it out every night to play with it, and socialize with it.

I am kinda thinking the rat is more needy than the dog.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:52 »

I have two dogs.

Ah, who the fuck am I kidding, I love the stupid little bastards.

Also, this is what you get when you wake up a chihuahua at 2 in the morning just to put a picture of her up in this thread.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:54 »

I wish more people though of pets as "children."

The shelter in my college town basically will not adopt to students, because too many students say, "hey, my lease allows pets, so I can get a pet!" forgetting that most pets live for seven to fourteen years, not for the duration of a lease. 

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:57 »

Pics or it didn't happen.

Last pet pic thread was over a year ago by my count, unless you want massive necromancy http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,17607.0.html
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2008, 23:57 »

I have two dogs.

I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2008, 00:00 »

@ Alex Oh god. I had to put my head on the desk until I could breathe again. She's a cutey. XD My grandma has four chihuahuas. They're spoiled beyond belief. ( I also think they're evil)

@Emaline
I'm sort of jealous.
My current dogs, Dusty and Daisy, are the most clingy things. They're not little dogs either. They're pretty big. They think they are lap dogs though.
Daisy has this high pitched whine she does when she wants attention, or when she's bored.
I wake up to that every morning around five.
Not much fun.
Thankfully.. Tuesday is litter trained. I just have to dump it every week.

@Blue I know. I'm a little.. a.. biased maybe. I like animals, a lot. I'd feel bad for an animal before I'd feel bad for a person. When I see things like someone abandoning their pet, or abusing it, or just neglecting it... I get pissed.
I judge a lot of people by the way they treat an animal.
Weird maybe.
But if someone.. for no reason other then amusement beats an* animal. They're scum.

*Not and

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2008, 00:08 »

My chihuahua isn't evil so much as piggish. Like many dogs, she can get rather greedy at times.

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2008, 00:17 »

I tried to wake her up.
No-go.
There's her slinky ass in all it's glory though.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2008, 00:21 »

Chihuahuas are awful critters.

Meet Socks.

sure he looks alright now...

but he's always up to something. Normally it involves shitting on the carpet because you did something he didn't like.

I also have a big dog, a cat and a rabbit. My Stoner's probably going to die soon, which is a bit sad.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2008, 00:32 »

Man, Australia.

Even your chihuahuas look predatory.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2008, 02:14 »

Hate chihuahuas. Ugh.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2008, 02:42 »

Present dogs - Lucy and Polly:

Polly and Lucy:

Some previous dogs - Gilda and Ziggy:

My daughter and her horse, Ebony:
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2008, 09:08 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

PizzaSHARK

« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2008, 03:55 »

That's quite a few pets.  I've never been a fan of rodents as pets, though... that many glorified squirrels? :P

I've heard mixed things about ferrets... that they can be fun, but can also be quite stinky.  From what I've seen of them, though, their natural inquisitiveness and playfulness probably makes up for the smell, and you could always break out the Febreeze, I guess.

Your dream of owning a fox might be feasible.  Granted, it sounds like they're no more foxes than Siberian Huskies are wolves.

My family's always been big on dogs, and particularly shelties.  They're big enough to be called dogs (unlike the giant yipping rats a lot of people seem to favor :P ), but still small enough to comfortably fit in an apartment or small home.  They're also extremely intelligent - wikipedia mentions they ranked 6th out of 132 breeds tested, and I can certainly back that up with first-hand experience from raising them.  They do tend to be pretty vocal, but because they ARE pretty damn smart, it's not too hard to train them out of that habit.  I'm scouring local animal shelters (no reason to buy from a breeder when you can adopt and save a pooch from the gas) for an adolescent sheltie, but no luck so far.  For those that've never seen a sheltie, the most common coat variation (called sable) makes them look very much like a miniature Collie - wikipedia has a great picture here.  The dog on the lower right is a Welsh Corgi (also a good dog breed.)

We've had a few cats over the years, but I've never much liked em, save one that we called Joecat.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2008, 04:30 »

Dylan, the newest addition to the Zoo.
Actually it's not that much of a Zoo any more, my hamster died this summer and my sister's hamster died just after Christmas, so it's just us and the three cats.
Dyl is a beast actually, solid muscle, and he's such a sweetheart. So much nicer than the girls.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Metope

« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2008, 05:52 »

He may look like a lion, but he thinks he's a leopard.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:07 »

Oh my god Kris that is the cutest cat. I want him.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Metope

« Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:31 »

Oh Liz, don't even go there! He's mine!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2008, 06:45 »

This is my sweet sweet dog with the worst name! We adopted her from the shelter and they'd named her Princess there >.<
I would love to have her at my apartment, because she is very bonded to me and my parents don't have much time to play with/walk her, but there is a 20lb limit for pets in the building. She weighs about 75, so no-go :(
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #24 on: 21 Nov 2008, 07:42 »

God, I hate ferrets. I had one for a while, but they're just terrible. They smell like ass and they get into everything. My old roommate had ferrets that wandered the house. I once caught one of them trying to chew on shit in my amp. Fucking little terrors.

In my life, I have lived with (In chronological order):

A chocolate lab named Mandy, died by the time I was like three or four.
A cat named figarro. Ran away around the same time Mandy kicked off.
A golden lab named Brandon. Had him from the age of about four to seventeen. I adored him.
A husky named Sheila. While not as awesome as Brandon, she was gorgeous and a sweeheart. We got her when I was like seven and she died when I was about fifteen or sixteen.
A cat named Harry, who belonged to my sister, we got when I was like eight or nine. He died sometime in my late teens.
A cat named Baghera. She was my cat and I loved her muchly. We got her when I was maybe eleven and she died in the summer of 2006, right after I moved back to my hometown. She stayed with my mom when I moved out and she basically hid in the basement waiting to die and only really moved when I came down.
A cat named Pooh-kei. My brother's cat. We got her like two years after Baghera. She's still doing quite well, though she's practically blind. Despite being blind and declawed, she still catches mice like mad.
A ferret named Leia. She didn't last long, she developed a tumor after like two years.
A cat named Frederick. My mom got him shortly before I moved out back in like 2004, I think. He died just about a year ago, had a blood clot. My mom's still not quite over it.
A pair of ferrets my roommate had.
A pair of cats with FIV or whatever it's called. They had AIDs, one had downs syndrome and used to drool on the couch a lot.
A kitten named Parrot my other roommate got when the first one moved out. He was a brat.
A pitbull/rotty named Butters. My ex and I adopted her together in 2005 when we decided to move in together. We agreed early on that should we break up, she'd keep her, but it hurt like hell. I loved that dog to death.
An italian greyhound named Scooby. My last roommate before moving to Boston had him and I fucking hated it. The dog was a little shit and I cannot fucking stand him.

Unfortunately, pets aren't allowed in my building, so it ends there.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #25 on: 21 Nov 2008, 07:43 »

I have had:

Countless fish
Three rabbits
Three dogs
One horse that I actually owned
Four horses I trained/showed that other people owned

One of my rabbits was bottle-fed (I will try to find pictures of him) and he ended up being one of the best pets ever. He slept on my bed, cuddled, was litterbox-trained, knew different tricks, and had the most adorable face. He was a black and white miniature lop-eared, named Wicket (because he was a fuzzy little trouble-maker!).

My first horse, Shannon (registered name "Siridian Star of Shannon"), was a registered Morgan Horse and my favorite pet, ever. I have been riding horses for more than thirteen years, since I was seven, and I finally bought a horse in high school. Her owners sold her to me at a really discounted price because one, they were moving, and two, she was "dangerous." By this, they mean that they never rode her, and even my trainer had trouble with her. But we connected and during one of the last years I owned her we went to a multiple-day show and took home a TON of ribbons, including second place in a championship class. At the moment, she is retired, and she is fat and happy living on a beautiful farm in Virginia.

This is us after our championship class.

My current dog, Bailey, is a ten-year-old Golden Retriever who I love more than most people I know.

She drinks the dregs of my tea when I am done with it in the morning.

I also train horses at my college -- my current "project" is a three-year-old Morgan Horse named UC Celebration ("Ellie" for short), and she is perfect in every single way. Went to our first show this semester and placed first in a class of five (she was the youngest horse by more than two years).

@twistedremedy: horses are a LOT of work, and they cost a LOT of money. I have spent almost every spare hour since the start of high school at my barn, and I have to work my ass off to pay for it all (because I am not one of those lucky kids with rich parents). However, training horses is one of the most rewarding things ever, and I would not trade that for anything. :wink:
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #26 on: 21 Nov 2008, 07:55 »

In my life I have had three dogs.

Freddie the first. I am not entirely sure of his breed, as he was a mutt, but he was little and had black curly hair. I don't actually remember him, as he died when I was two, but he was a good dog.

Then we got Max when he was a few months old. Max was a yellow lab/golden retriever mix. He was the sweetest, most wonderful dog you could ever want. We got him when I was two and he was with us until I turned fourteen, but he had arthritis so bad that he could barely walk so we had to have him put down.

And our current dog is Jinx. She is the most ridiculous dog ever. She's part black lab and part border collie, so she's adorable but quite high strung. We got her a few months after Max was gone, so I guess she has been around for quite a while now.

I have also had more cats than some people had people in their graduating class. I grew up on a dairy farm, so cats just sort of naturally flock to the place. We fed them milk and my dad would always give them old minnows and the bits of fish he caught that we were not going to eat, so they just kinda stuck around. At any given time I would say there were 20-30 roaming the farm, and they would all come to the barn in the morning and at night when we milked the cows. I consider them pets because they all had names and they would cuddle with you and all that jazz. Unfortunately when we sold the cows they all just sort of dispersed. There is one that still hangs around the farm and comes to see us on occasion, but he is getting old for a nearly wild cat and will probably kick the bucket soon.

Currently I have no pets in my apartment, but I do have a plant that I named Augustus. That is good enough for me.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2008, 08:04 »

I have not had many pets, but here they are:

A rather large goldfish who lived longer than I expected it would, as I won it at a carnival.
Several other replacement goldfish who all got flushed within the first few days, because they just did not like life.
Waffles, the large yellow tabby I got in 4th grade. He's still alive and fatter than ever, but he is an excellent space heater.
Parker, a stray white and yellow tabby who was abandoned on our street. He has the longest legs I've ever seen and is a goofball.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:08 »

My friend had a couple of hamsters and they bred and then she ended up with seventeen of them; this led to her once prefacing a story with "when I had seventeen hamsters", which is now one of my favorite phrases ever.

Can you ask your friend if I can call my collection of short stories "When I had seventeen hamsters" if I ever become a published writer?

I also have a big dog

Can we see more pictures of this guy? He looks like he might be fat, and fat dogs are the best dogs.

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #29 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:18 »

In my life, I have lived with (In chronological order):

A chocolate lab named Mandy, died by the time I was like three or four.
A cat named figarro. Ran away around the same time Mandy kicked off.

Doesn't this strike you as suspicious?  I bet Figarro offed Mandy.
Call in the murder police!
(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #30 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:20 »

Eric, you have thrown my whole life into question.
JON MADE ME GAY

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #31 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:24 »

Simba and Truck,

My kittens are not lolcats.

I also have a dag and a fat old cat but that is enough pictures.

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #32 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:27 »

It would probably be easier for me to just have an awesome neighbor with horses.. that didn't mind me playing with their muzzles and ears..
 Everyone has such awesome dogs. I'm afraid to put pictures of mine up. They are the wimps of all that is wimpy. MY cats are pretty cool though. i'll put a picture of one up, they're basically identical. *I like cats a lot. Sometimes more then dogs.

I forgot to say the pet I didn't like...
The iguana.
It was the scariest damn thing.
It would give you a "I will skin you alive while you're asleep" look.
And it would lash its tail at you all the time.

time to go hunt down the animals.
And my camera.

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #33 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:31 »

Eric, you have thrown my whole life into question.

A more disturbing possibility is that Figarro was the only witness to who really killed Mandy so Figarro had to "run away".

One would think that it is time for me to stop watching crime dramas. The sad thing is that I don't watch any of them.

Also, I have no pets so I have no pictures to share.
Past pets were:
Some small yappy dog called Mitzi when I was a wee child.
A Dachshund imaginatively named Heidi whilst I was in elementary school.
A gerbil whose name escapes me.
A parakeet whose name also escapes me. (Suspected in the death of my brother's parakeet)
And a half-lab half-pointer wholly insane dog named Skipper.
There were also some fish at some point but I've no idea the type or number.

(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:43 »

DAMN.  You remind me of this girl I know, who also has tons of pets.  I still don't know which ones she has, but she offloaded a rather loud parrot on my friend's mother (offloaded isn't the right word, the woman was ecstatic about it, but she doesn't play with it enough).  I think she has had several cats and an iguana.  Not sure, though.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2008, 09:50 »

Daisy. Dusty.

The  cats are being elusive.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:06 »

Dogs on bed

I would like it noted that this sort of thing should be avoided. I'm not trying to piss off any animal rights types, but letting your dog sleep in your bed makes them feel a measure of dominance in a pet-provider relationship and can result in obedience problems later on.

Also, they will totally piss on your bed if they start to think they're in charge. Cleaning dog piss off a mattress is a less than ideal way to spend one's weekend.

I think what I'm trying to say is that coming home drunk on a Friday night to find your pitbull has peed in your bed is a terrible experience. I would not recommend it.
JON MADE ME GAY

DougGlendower

« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:15 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly19OfmDuWM

Chasity, interfering with the photoshoot for Red Array. :)

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:32 »

My cat is a goddamn genius.  He is the only pet I live with in my apartment, but I have lived with many creatures, because my family keeps adopting anything that needs a home. 

Right now we have:
Six cats
Three dogs plus a fourth that we are fostering.
Two rabbits
A turtle
A hedgehog
Two doves
Two goats
Two chickens

In the past we have had Mallard ducks, frogs, and a few fish.  We also took care of an albino hedgehog for a while.  That thing was freaky. 

Basically if someone has an animal that they can't keep, they ask my family.  This is the reason I grew up in a petting zoo.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2008, 10:43 »

I would like it noted that this sort of thing should be avoided. I'm not trying to piss off any animal rights types, but letting your dog sleep in your bed makes them feel a measure of dominance in a pet-provider relationship and can result in obedience problems later on.

Also, they will totally piss on your bed if they start to think they're in charge. Cleaning dog piss off a mattress is a less than ideal way to spend one's weekend.

I think what I'm trying to say is that coming home drunk on a Friday night to find your pitbull has peed in your bed is a terrible experience. I would not recommend it.

Agreed, although, I must admit I'm pretty lax on this with my own dogs now that they're older. I mean, yeah, sure, I can more or less get away with it (admittedly, my dogs are not the most disciplined; they listen to commands but sometimes push things a bit) because they're pretty submissive now, but it's a really bad precedent to set particularly when they're young, especially with a tough strong breed like pitbulls. This isn't to say I'm one of those people think all pits are agressive killing machines or anything, I just mean that they're not very easily dissuaded. I house sat for my uncle who owns a very gentle and loveable pit mix, but frankly, that dog will walk all over you if you make any concessions and is perfectly comfortable damn near yanking your arm out of its socket on a walk if it doesn't respect you. I can't imagine that dog going so far as to snap at me, but until I put my foot down and was really consistent with it that dog was like "Oh, you silly bastard, it's cute that you think you're in charge. We're going this way now."
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2008, 11:16 by Alex C »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #40 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:08 »

I have a cat, she has Asberger's.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #41 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:37 »

I had a mutt named Teddy when I was younger, but she left us for a little old lady up the street. I don't think I'd want to go back to us either if I was her, the lady's husband had passed away, so she'd still make the normal amount of food for two people and give the other portion to the dog. It turned into a very fat dog.

Then there was my wonderful awesome Suzie dog. She was an English Springer Spaniel and ridiculously active. She still wanted to get her run on after we walked her so eventually we just gave up and would drive out to a gravel road and let her out. She'd run on the road and we'd follow behind her. For miles and miles and miles. She loved hunting, so much so that my dad's friends would ask to "borrow" her when they'd go out hunting for birds. She was happy to do that, and they were happy too cuz she had a really soft mouth. And smart too! I taught her to roll over in less than an hour. Eventually she started to lose her hearing and sight, but she loved hunting a little too much? Dad went out with her one night and she jumped out the window to go chase something. She couldn't find her way back to the pickup and went missing for about a week. Mom and my aunt would go out where she jumped out and drive around yelling for her in the afternoon, and dad went in the evening. Turns out she couldn't find us, but did find another hunter from a different town out with his dogs. He picked her up eventually we found each other and got her back. She lived for about a year after that when her arthritis and bowels and vision and hearing got bad enough that we were kind of forced to put her down. She'd run into things all the time and couldn't even lie down by herself.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #42 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:43 »

Several other replacement goldfish who all got flushed within the first few days, because they just did not like life.

They were probably just bloated from overfeeding.

ifoundmystar

• Not quite a lurker
  • Oh, I was surprised to see you there!
    • Girl, whats yo MySpace?
« Reply #43 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:46 »

I've had a few pets. Mostly dogs. I have had 2 pugs, a cocker spaniel, and a german shepherd. Now I have a rottweiler mix and he's my favorite thing in the world.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #44 on: 21 Nov 2008, 11:52 »

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #45 on: 21 Nov 2008, 12:13 »

My boyfriend's family (who I consider my family, too) have 8 dogs (4 Australian Shepards, a terrier mix, and 3 Great Pyrenees), two cats, and many, many goats.

Here is one of our Pyrs, Sarah.  The other two are Elsie and Mama. They're all as tall or taller than me. We didn't name any of them; they're rescue dogs and guard the goats.

Our Aussies are Cipher, Cassandra, Mariposa, and Tenley. For some reason there aren't pictures of Mari, Tenley, or Princess the terrier and there are so many of Cipher and Cassie.

Our two cats are Lullaby and Dubya. I wish I could find pictures of them because they are really funny cats.

All our goats kind of look alike. We probably have between 30-40 of them. We also had a horse, but we recently sold him because he was getting lonely without any other horses.

sandysmilinstrange

• Curry sauce
« Reply #46 on: 21 Nov 2008, 13:07 »

Oh, man. I could talk about my pets way more than anybody want to hear about them.

Here's a video of Hubert (the cockatiel) whistling with me. You'll probably be able to tell which one is which.

He'd only been hearing that song for a coupla weeks at the time that video was made. He's already much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irFfJdLZAZc

Here is Charlie (my parakeet), thinking he is an aquatic bird. Also, my mother talking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BitR1Zw9A8
"It's funny how you think I'm an asshole because I've got HIGH self esteem"

dozyrozy

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #47 on: 21 Nov 2008, 13:11 »

I used to have a gold fish called George. He died after a couple of weeks which was quite depressing, since he was the only pet I'd ever had (and the fish he was sharing with lived for at least two years after that!)

I really want a cat, they're so beautiful. I can't get one right now though because I'm at uni, and my mum won't have one at home because she hates the way you can feel all of their bones. But hopefully in a year I will have my own place and after I've figured out how to take care of myself I might get one!

But I do usually go with my friend when she takes her dog for a walk though and he's beautiful. He's called Tipper and he's half boarder collie and half springer spaniel. Madness.
I think I'll take a nap now...

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #48 on: 21 Nov 2008, 15:05 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irFfJdLZAZc
I wish my dog could do that. That would be so awesome. Teach him to 'play' the guitar. xD

Anyway, pets. Our family has a dog, Zara, who is a Belgian Sheperd that was the first drug dog in our county. She's old and lazy. We got her for free from a patient of my mom's who thought she had flea bites all over her from the dog. Zara is the best.
We have a cat, Sparkle, who is absolutely batshit crazy. She sleeps most of the day but every now and then she'll just be walking along and start tearing through the house. Because we have fake hardwood floors, her feet skid and she can't get a grip. It's funny.
We have pigs. About 25 of them. One whoreboar named Jim who is the breeder.
We also have about 200 chickens. They aren't all locked up in a building and they can go wherever.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #49 on: 21 Nov 2008, 15:39 »

This is my de-facto pet (she belongs to my housemate), Pancake.

She's pretty punk rock.

Also, she kind've looks like Falcor from the Neverending story when she doesn't have a mohawk.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up