THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas! Gifts! Parties! Etc!  (Read 25397 times)

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
Christmas! Gifts! Parties! Etc!
« on: 26 Nov 2008, 14:03 »

Even though it's almost Thanksgiving, I thought I'd start this wonderfully awesome thread about Christmas (or Hanukkah or whatever else you celebrate). What do you want for Christmas? Are you having any parties?
Discuss.

Also: How do you people feel about stores not just decorating and selling Christmas things in October but playing carols in early November? It's annoys the crap out of me personally.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
Re: Christmas! Gifts! Parties! Etc!
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2008, 14:18 »

One holiday at a time, kids.

...that being said I just bought gift wrap today.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2008, 15:30 »

LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT CHRISTMAS UNTIL IT'S AT LEAST DECEMBER, SHALL WE?

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2008, 16:07 »

Also: How do you people feel about stores not just decorating and selling Christmas things in October but playing carols in early November? It's annoys the crap out of me personally.

YEAH DON'T YOU JUST HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE START BANGING ON ABOUT CHRISTMAS BEFORE DECEMBER?
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2008, 16:11 »

YEAH DON'T YOU JUST HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE START BANGING ON ABOUT CHRISTMAS BEFORE DECEMBER?
Haha. Oh, the irony.
"but playing carols"
It's just the songs that get old really fast.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2008, 18:43 »

I made some sort of avatar a year or so back that said, "Wait till December fuckers."  Though, I don't like Christmas Carols, except for the one about the hippo

This just in: The Jonas Brothers want to die

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #6 on: 26 Nov 2008, 19:40 »

no december holiday celebrations for this athiest. i just get really drunk on new year's and have sex with people i haven't had sex with before.

MERRY IRRESPONSIBILITY
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

allison

• Bling blang blong blung
  • i really want a mustache
« Reply #7 on: 26 Nov 2008, 19:56 »

Canadian Thanksgiving was in October...and I work in retail so I'm right into the full swing of things, Christmas-wise. I'm already planning my Christmas dinner for my closest friends. We get dressed up, have an amazing dinner, exchange presents, and catch up because we all live worlds away from each other (for school).

Last year's was amazing.

So does anyone have a little-known favourite Christmas book/movie? Mine is the Polar Express. The book, I mean. The movie, though it shares the same name has (in my opinion) absolutely nothing to do with the book.
[00:30] KharBevNor: Crawling undead terrorcocks

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #8 on: 26 Nov 2008, 19:58 »

It's a Wonderful Life is watched every year at my household
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #9 on: 26 Nov 2008, 20:11 »

The Muppets Christmas Carol at our House every year, as well as The Muppets Family Christmas. All of my siblings know the words and we sing along. Nostalgia is a powerful way of getting people to get along for a little while. I wish I was going to Boston in January now, because apparently through Gabbly Jon fully plans on having some Marley and Marley heavy metal renditions with Jimmy. Fucking Jealous as hell.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #10 on: 26 Nov 2008, 20:16 »

I watch The Snowman.  More about snow than Christmas, but Santa Claus makes an appearance. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #11 on: 26 Nov 2008, 21:17 »

no december holiday celebrations for this athiest.
I'm an atheist and I celebrate Christmas. I just do it for the whole 'free stuff' part.

Favorite book and movie...
Book: How The Grinch Stole Christmas
Movie: Elf

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: 26 Nov 2008, 21:43 »

Since it doesn't look like we'll have a Thanksgiving thread, I'll make due with this one:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 27 Nov 2008, 11:25 »

So does anyone have a little-known favourite Christmas book/movie? Mine is the Polar Express. The book, I mean. The movie, though it shares the same name has (in my opinion) absolutely nothing to do with the book.

It is not really unknown but I love the Rudolph movie, hence the fabulous Rudolph gift wrap that I bought.
Liz is touching me.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #14 on: 27 Nov 2008, 16:48 »

I'll be going to my Aunty's place next weekend because while we usually celebrate Christmas on the 24th, like all good Europeans, my folks are going to England for Christmas this year so that my step-mum can see her mother over the holidays as her mum is pretty old and has lupus and shit. So we're moving Christmas forward a bit so we can all see each other. For actual Christmas I guess I'll be going to my mums place? I'm not particularly happy about this as I don't like seeing her but still, I suppose I should go anyway. I'm going to have to work Christmas Day but hopefully I can wrangle a 6am - 11am shift so it won't be too bad.

Also even though I am an atheist I still celebrate Christmas, but really only because my family do. Even so there is very little overt religious imagery in my family's celebrations, we get together and eat lots of food and give each other presents? The ornaments are all reindeers and Santa Claus, we sing two Christmas Carols, both in Hungarian and I don't understand the words (though one of them has "Bethlehem" in it so I assume that is religious). Anyway my point is that Christmas is completely separated from religion in my mind to the point where I always get confused by all the religious stuff on tv (cartoons of the birth of Jesus etc...) on Christmas before I remember.
I assume that if I ever stop seeing my family on Christmas (probably after my grandma dies) I will probably stop really celebrating Christmas.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #15 on: 27 Nov 2008, 17:29 »

My family is almost entirely atheist (I say almost because I think my grandfather may have some vague belief in a god but I don't know), and Christmas is huge for us. We have foods that we only make at christmas, and its pretty much the only time of year we all get to see each other. Its just a way for us to express love for family and friends. Christmas trees and blown glass ornaments are fun. There doesn't need to be a religious element at all. And lets be serious here, Christmas is a pagan holiday Christianity hijacked. Christmas trees are pretty obviously a form of nature worship. It just makes people feel good to see green, a sign of life, in the middle of winter (for those of us who live where there is snow and ice and all that), and to be near the people they love. As Christianity spread and various pagan religions faded the winter soltice celebration got a new face painted on it.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 27 Nov 2008, 18:02 »

My immediate family is entirely non-religious, but we've always celebrated Christmas. I see it as a cultural celebration: regardless of whether or not I believe in god, I come from a Christian culture. I enjoy listening to Bach's B-minor Mass; I take pleasure from reading Gerard Manley-Hopkins' poetry; I celebrate Christmas.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2008, 07:45 »

I think of it more as a consumer holiday, now.

Also it reminds me that my dad moved out right after christmas, pretty much therefore DESTROYING THE WHOLE CHRISTMAS-NEW YEAR'S THING FOR ME. *sigh*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 28 Nov 2008, 07:59 »

I usually have problems around Christmas time. I haven't enjoyed it when my mom and I visit other family members for Christmas since I was a kid for various reasons. (I think if I had a larger immediate family I wouldn't feel this way, but that's just houw it is.) I don't even really care about getting gifts anymore, because no one seems to get me things I like unless I give them specifics, which is no fun. The only parts I like about Christmas are making decorations and shopping for other people. I enjoy going around hunting for things people would like, but I don't really think I'll be doing that this year, which is kind of sad.

Also, I hate seeing anything Christmas related until December and I don't like hearing carols every freaking day until Christmas either. I hate it when people decorate for Christmas before Halloween even happens (there are people down the street that do this).

Well, to make this post less depressing, I will be going to a Christmas party with friends. Hooray for white elephant gifts! Last year I got a pink lawn flamingo that had no post.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2008, 08:02 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:03 »

Unfortunately it's almost December now, which means I'll have to start thinking about presents. You know how dads are always the hardest people to buy presents for? Well, my dad's birthday is on Christmas Eve. So every year, I (and everyone else in my family) have to think up two dad presents at the same time.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:08 »

Last year I got a pink lawn flamingo that had no post.

If it floats, you should keep it in the bathtub when not in use.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:12 »

My mom threw it away! She thought it was funny and then tossed it. I don't even remember its name. (The girl who gave it to me put a name tag on it.)

Unfortunately it's almost December now, which means I'll have to start thinking about presents. You know how dads are always the hardest people to buy presents for? Well, my dad's birthday is on Christmas Eve. So every year, I (and everyone else in my family) have to think up two dad presents at the same time.

I don't have the dad problem, but my mom's birthday is Jan 9th. Thinking up two gifts is pretty difficult.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

SonofZ3

« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:15 »

My father's birthday is on the 22nd of December, and my mothers is on the 1st of January (new year's baby). Its a bit trying on my bank account buying them both birthday and Christmas gifts at the same time, but my parents live a spartan existence, so it makes me happy to get things for them I know they'll really like.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:22 »

Dads are easy to get stuff for! My dad (whose birthday is on Januar 2nd, so two gifts for him as well) gets really happy if we get some black t-shirts, black sweaters, socks, gloves, practicaly outdoor clothing etc, and if there's anything specific he wants (like a book or CD or something), he'll actually come out and say exactly what it is. Moms are worse, though. My mom will be totally vague about what she wants, and has fucking weird taste, so it's impossible to get her something that we think she will actually like, and also something that is sort of practical, because she's always complaining about too much stuff. Gah, I dread going Christmas shopping with my brothers.

But it's almost December, and while December pre-20th is all kinds of hell because of school, I can't wait. I broke my no clementines before December-rule, but tomorrow (since the 30th is a Sunday), I'm totally going to go buy Christmas soda, gingerbread and some kind of Christmas candy, and then I'll finally listen to my Christmas music playlist.

(Yes, I love Christmas.)

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:39 »

Next wednesday my flatmates and I are doing a Christmas meal for 8 people (including ourselves). It also happens to be the day that a good friend of mine graduates and is one of the last stops on her honeymoon. Oh my!

We're having fresh prawn cocktails as something to nom before the meal, leek and potato soup for the starter, a festive beef wellington with roast potatoes, honeyed parsnips, roast veg (including carrots, turnips and sweet potatoes), Yorkshire puddings and gravy for the main followed by sugar free trifle for the dessert (one of the guests is diabetic).

NOM NOM NOM! I will maybe post pictures and recipes in the cooking thread one day.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2008, 08:56 »

The only bit of christmas that I am ok with starting before December is gift-buying. I have a pretty large immediate family and a growing ring of various in-laws and people on my lists, so I get started shopping in early November just to give myself a chance to think of something really good for each person. Half-assed gifts are not worth purchasing.

That said, anyone have a working copy of mario kart for nintendo 64 they want to sell me? Nowhere around here has it and ebay can kiss my ass.
(I want to put it in an Xmas stocking for Chris)
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2008, 09:12 »

Manda, I'll have to look when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I do.

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé
« Reply #27 on: 28 Nov 2008, 11:43 »

Dads are easy to get stuff for!

That's funny... I have the exact opposite problem.  My mom would be happy with a bottle of lotion and a new pair of slippers, year after year.  My dad has really eclectic, specific tastes and is a terrible liar when he's disappointed (on the upside, though, when you hit it just right, it's really gratifying).

I'm at my parents' house for Thanksgiving, and we're not going to be here for Christmas.  My parents have a baby grand and an upright piano, which I really miss when I'm away (having taken ten years of piano lessons).  So last night, we broke out the Christmas carol book, and my dad, boyfriend, and I jammed for two hours variously on piano, piano, electric guitar, violin, drum, and harmonica.  Family and music are my favorite parts of Christmas.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #28 on: 28 Nov 2008, 15:08 »

Improvised whiteboard advent calendar! Decorated with random postcard from Italy, a marker and my kickass art skillz. This and a tiny figurine, as well as an advent candelabra or whatever the hell it is called will be the only signs of Christmas in my dorm room :/

(May be improved if I can be bothered to go downtown some time and find some proper Christmas decorations, but probably not.)
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2008, 15:10 by Ladybug »

evernew

• Curry sauce
  • Put a bangin' DONK on it!
« Reply #29 on: 28 Nov 2008, 15:20 »

I'll be far far away from home for the first time for christmas.
Also, there will not be any snow and when I go pee-pee, the toilet flushes the other way.

I will feel so very lost.

And all I want for Christmas is you.  :mrgreen:
The Donk of Canterbury wishes everybody good tidings.

Jessidee

« Reply #30 on: 28 Nov 2008, 15:41 »

this christmas will be my first spent in my own house (yay) so i think all the family is coming to mine, if not i will be sharing it with my best friend and her boyfriend (his family have never celebrated christmas  :-o)

I have finished all my christmas shopping (i actually finished at the start of november, because i had the money to)

Christmas for my family is always hectic, my sisters fiance's birthday is dec 25, then her birthday is dec 27, so its full of stuff....

:laugh:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #31 on: 28 Nov 2008, 16:32 »

So how's about that Wal-Mart employee who got stomped to death by Black Friday shoppers today? The worst part was that people just kept streaming in while the emergency response crew was working on him. Nobody gave two shits that the man had been killed by their own feet, they just wanted to save a few fucking dollars. Absolutely obscene.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #32 on: 28 Nov 2008, 17:17 »

Link to the terrifying news story Patrick referred to.

Seriously.  Read that and try not to think about hordes of zombies.  People are fuckin' nuts.

tuna ketchup x

« Reply #33 on: 28 Nov 2008, 17:43 »

So how's about that Wal-Mart employee who got stomped to death by Black Friday shoppers today? The worst part was that people just kept streaming in while the emergency response crew was working on him. Nobody gave two shits that the man had been killed by their own feet, they just wanted to save a few fucking dollars. Absolutely obscene.

And they're not going to prosecute anyone because of the nature of the crime. Sick. I hope the tramplers suffer from horrible PTSD flashbacks the rest of their lives.

We did do a little bit of shopping today on the way back from my parents' house, but all for us because we are selfish. They had a $1 per trade paperback sale at this out of the way comic book store, so, we bought 40. Haha. Mostly indie comics too, rock.

I am asking for Guitar Hero III for Xmas along with an extra guitar for my boy and that's it. I'm getting my sister Wii games, but I don't know about my parents. I thought about getting my mom some old TV show on DVD but I don't think she watches DVDs, just cable. And my dad is even worse, all he does is watch Golf TV. I got some really cool stuff for the boy though.

This is the first year I won't have a tree, because our newest cat is climb-happy. I may make one out of cardboard.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #34 on: 28 Nov 2008, 17:55 »

I just love it when people get into the holiday spirit :)

Dark humor aside, I am totally thinking of getting my lady a piece by an Albanian artist who lives in a small town just north of here called Krujė. My girl is an artist, which is the 'thoughtful' part. He paints scenes from the town as well as from other places in Albania, which is the 'unique' part. I'm pretty much set with her.

As for my stepbrothers, I'm probably going to get them some of the felted wool hats that they make in the same town. I'll probably get them the Fushė-Krujė style ones (sortof like a white, woolen fez without the tassel). My dad will probably get one of those ash trays shaped like the multitudes of bunkers they have here. As for my stepmom, she'll probably get some shopkas, which are felted wool indoor slippers. Here in Albania, the price of wool is absurdly cheap by American and European standards, and that's even when they're charging me 10 times what they would charge an Albanian.

As for my mom, she loves to cook, and she can't get good Indian food supplies here in Albania, so I am thinking of getting her some of those for Christmas.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #35 on: 28 Nov 2008, 18:03 »

I barely left my house today. I just cooked breakfast food and watched firefly dvds all day.

Anyway, I'll be heading down to my grandparents' place in D.C. on (I think) the 21st, as I do most years. They have a big party at their house on Christmas Eve, and then we have a big family dinner/birthday party for my dad on Christmas (he has the misfortune of being an xmas baby.)
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #36 on: 28 Nov 2008, 18:06 »

A Christmas Story. That is all.

(oh, and Tania, what're you up to on 31 Dec this year?)
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #37 on: 28 Nov 2008, 18:26 »

I bought my brother a copy of the GOTY edition of Morrowind because he loves that game to untol levels. We're getting our dad a new golf glove and maybe a new set of golf balls because he likes that sort of thing. We'll probably also kick in for a bracelet for our step-mum but I have no idea what I'm getting for my mother. I'll probably get her a card, write an insincere note in it or something. Or maybe a dvd of some trashy romantic comedy. She loves that shit.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #38 on: 28 Nov 2008, 20:22 »

December is always a busy present month for our family because my brother's birthday is on the 16th, mine is on the 17th and my mother's is on the 31st, plus Christmas.  Also one of my housemate's birthdays is on the 11th and the other one's birthday is on the 28th...it is going to be a month of a million parties.  In fact, I get 2 birthday parties this year!

So far I have ordered my brother's birthday gift, worked out his Christmas gift and bought myself a million presents.  I also have the housemates birthday and Christmas presents wrapped up and in the lounge to torture them with. hee.

I only have 5 Christmas presents left to buy though I think, plus a few silly ones for my friends I am having Christmas with.

And tonight is our work Christmas party! wooooo!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #39 on: 28 Nov 2008, 20:22 »

Oh, and The Ref is by far the best christmas movie ever  :-D :-D
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #40 on: 28 Nov 2008, 20:27 »

Christmas always sucks for me, I can never buy anyone gifts because I have barely enough money to scrape by. But I won't get into that.
I'll probably spend Christmas one day with my Mom, and one day with my Dad. There'll be arguments, and I might end up not going to either my Mom's or my Dad's. I might just stay home. Its something I've never really done before.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Jessidee

« Reply #41 on: 28 Nov 2008, 21:06 »

this year, i spent quite a lot of money on presents, now im regretting it, as i am totally broke, even though i work full time *sigh*

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #42 on: 29 Nov 2008, 14:59 »

So...
I was thinking that I would make a Christmas mix CD. It would be mostly modern-ish songs. Give me suggestions. Yahoo Answers has lots of these questions but all they reccomend is stupid Fallout Boy and Kelly Clarkson and crap.

sean

• welp
« Reply #43 on: 29 Nov 2008, 17:24 »

Screw making a Christmas mix, just spin this.

- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #44 on: 29 Nov 2008, 17:33 »

Sean is a man that knows what is up. That is one of my favorite Christmas CDs ever.
Liz is touching me.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #45 on: 29 Nov 2008, 19:57 »

Butbutbut. What about Christmas At The Zoo and the Raconteurs' Christmas Song?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #46 on: 29 Nov 2008, 21:21 »

The only Christmas albums worth listening to are Alabama Christmas and The Chieftains Bells of Dublin.

SonofZ3

« Reply #47 on: 29 Nov 2008, 21:22 »

The only Christmas albums worth listening to are Alabama Christmas and The Chieftains Bells of Dublin.

Bells of Dublin was one of my favorite albums as a little kid.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #48 on: 29 Nov 2008, 21:39 »

The only Christmas album worth listening to is Twisted Sister Christmas.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #49 on: 01 Dec 2008, 08:05 »

Phil is right to be depressed about missing the Boston meetup, because there will be epic Muppet Christmas Carol karaoke. I am talking full blown death metal Marley and Marley (It can be done. Shane and I got drunk and did it two Aprils ago) and an attempt at a thrash worthy rendition of Scrooge.

Christmas...oh fucking Christmas...The trend of Christmas antipathy really grates me sometimes. Yeah, sure, if you wanna go hide in a corner because you hate fun and puppies and candy canes and everything that is pleasant in life, go ahead, but all these far whatever the fuck anti-Christian goons who hate it for some misguided notion of religion are beyond me. Christmas stopped being about religion well before most of our lifetimes (And really, in most of its history, it was never much about religion, mostly just the eighteen and nineteen hundreds and even that is spotty). Christmas, at this point in history, is merely an excuse to make merry oneself and enjoy the comfort and company of friend, family and happy acquaintance.

I've never been a religious man, but I've always loved Christmas. Even after a series of time where I had something like three absolutely terrible Christmases in a row, I simply cannot break the habit of overall being in a better mood in the season. I actively tried to be bitter for the sake of it back in 2006, but that crashed and burned after the first Christmas Tree I saw for the year.

I love just about every facet of the season. Even in a rather isolationist area like Boston where people keep to themselves, everyone is just that much friendlier this time of year. I even like the outrageously busy shopping season. It would probably be so much easier (And cheaper) to just order everything online, but I just can't break the ever enjoyable habit of going to the mall with a cup of disgusting, yet so much fun to drink, Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate and taking in the season while doing some Christmas shopping.

I love Halloween and Thanksgiving as much as the next person, but I really don't generally mind the head start to Christmas, especially in times like these where some stores really need the extra cash flow to survive. I do find situations like the aforementioned Wal-Mart incident repugnant, but those people miss the whole point of the season. It's not about getting the coolest gift for the best price, it's about taking it easy and admiring everything good about life and doing one's best to spread it. I've never done my shopping before Thanksgiving, but I've also never lacked for a proper gift for anyone I cared about, even waiting and doing my shopping at my own pace.

Probably the best Christmas of my life was my Senior year of High School. My friend's parents had just gotten laid off at the same time. Shit was rough for them, yet they still chose to try and celebrate Christmas. They couldn't afford gifts (They weren't well off to begin with), but they at least had a little Charlie Brown type Christmas Tree going on. A few of us decided the best course of action was for a bunch of us to forgo getting each other anything and just get gifts for them. It was a great feeling, and his mom was very touched (Which was great, as we all loved her to death). Pretty much everyone worth a damn in our circle of friends got involved (Especially touching considering I was one of the few that actually had a job or any form of disposable income). Ask Rachel anytime, I am not a typically generous person, but Christmas always loosens my wallet.

I don't have any specific Christmas traditions, but I have many conventions I like to repeat. Far and away, I cannot get through the season without watching 'Muppet Christmas Carol,' to the point it's on my iPod (And yes, I am watching it right now at work). One year in High School, we were putting on a production of Christmas Carol and about six of us involved were lobbying hard to include Marley and Marley (Sadly, to no avail) I'm also quite partial to 'Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown,' 'Rudolph,' 'Doug's Christmas' (Not that Disney garbage, I'm talking the classic where Porkchop gets put in the pound), 'Nightmare Before Christmas' (A Hot Topic cliche, but fuck it, it's a fun Christmas movie) and bunches of others.

Christmas has always been big in my family, though many things have fallen to the wayside lately. My brother, gramma and I probably are the biggest fans (Chad and I got it from our gramma), but it's pretty big throughout. We used to make multiple stops on Christmas Eve, but now it's pretty much just Christmas morning with my immediates and our gramma (My mom's side stopped doing a party when everyone started having their own children too young for late parties and we had a falling out with my dad's side a few years back). My brother, mother and I used to go out annually to check out the Christmas lights when Chad and I were young, though that started to fall away once our hometown started getting less and less Merry. I keep that on my own by wandering the city to see the lights at the commons and downtown.

Suffice to say: I loves me some Christmas.

Also, for Christmas music, I am quite partial to Trans-Siberian Orchestra and, obviously, the Muppet Christmas Carol soundtrack.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up