THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Christmas! Gifts! Parties! Etc!  (Read 25268 times)

ruyi

• Beyoncé
Re: Christmas! Gifts! Parties! Etc!
« Reply #50 on: 03 Dec 2008, 01:43 »

Man, I gotta do my Christmas shopping the same time I have to work on all my finals  :-( I have no friends so shopping is that much easier, but all the Chinese family is coming over to my ma's this year.

I figure since it's December we can use this thread to post gift ideas / help requests.

My current ideas:
earring display racks/frames (etsy)
wine jellies (napa valley, dragonfly)
miracle berry tablets (thinkgeek, miraclefruitplus)
wwf animal adoptions

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #51 on: 03 Dec 2008, 05:12 »

Phil is right to be depressed about missing the Boston meetup, because there will be epic Muppet Christmas Carol karaoke. I am talking full blown death metal Marley and Marley (It can be done. Shane and I got drunk and did it two Aprils ago) and an attempt at a thrash worthy rendition of Scrooge.

Buddy-ro, that was last August. We went to a Sox game two Aprils ago.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #52 on: 03 Dec 2008, 06:16 »

I keep on reading the title of this thread as "Christmas! Gifts! Panties!"

That would be an interesting Christmas party.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #53 on: 03 Dec 2008, 07:08 »

Cathy where the hell have you been
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #54 on: 03 Dec 2008, 07:20 »

Buddy-ro, that was last August. We went to a Sox game two Aprils ago.

Man, do you have a fucking date book at home labeled "Important Jon Milestones of the QC-Forum Variety?"

I am convinced you probably know better than I do what I wasted my 1,000th post on.

Also, it's been like a decade, but I still can't get used to the WWF being the World Wildlife Fund. That made Ruyi's last gift idea make about five times less sense to me.

P.S. Fuck you, pagebreak, now no one will ever see my long-ass "Christmas Rocks and You Can All Go Fuck Yourselves" rant.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #55 on: 03 Dec 2008, 07:26 »

My boyfriend's family put up our Christmas tree on the first. I'm kind of upset because we didn't get to decorate it together. My boyfriend's sister did it all before anyone was up yesterday.  :-(  It looks very pretty, though. We got an artificial tree this year because  our dogs like to mark it and Colorado's so dry that it loses most of its needles by around Christmas, no matter how late we get it.

Tomorrow night, as long as it doesn't snow too much, we'll be going to see the Christmas lights at the Botanical Gardens.

Usually we all get up early in the morning to open presents, then their dad goes back to bed (He has a really weird schedule and usually doesn't get up until 12). I don't know if that'll be how it goes this year because I might have to work.  During the day, we play board games/video games and then at night we watch A Christmas Story. There are also usually many phone calls during the day by various family members. It's just so much more low key than any major holiday my family celebrates.

I'm going to Barnes and Noble Friday while my boyfriend does volunteer work there and buying gifts for my boyfriend's mom and sister, and perhaps his dad. That leaves my boyfriend whom I'm struggling with in terms of gift ideas. I thought about getting him Spore, but it's on his Amazon wishlist, so I thought someone else might get it for him. I've also thought of a new comforter for his bed since the one he has now is really old and kind of falling apart. Wii Music or band shirts are my last options.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #56 on: 03 Dec 2008, 07:48 »

I'd like to add:

Despite my overwhelming love of Christmas, I hate hate hate hate HATE A Christmas Story. I have hated it since I was a kid and it's grown into an absolute loathing over the years. Seriously, fuck that overrated movie.
JON MADE ME GAY

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #57 on: 03 Dec 2008, 08:07 »

I am convinced you probably know better than I do what I wasted my 1,000th post on.

*shrug*
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #58 on: 03 Dec 2008, 08:54 »

Last year I got a card saying some african dude got a bike for christmas.

I wanted a bike (Or xbawx or ps3) but he got one instead.

Ironic thing is my mum threw out my bike earlier that year after throwing me out.

This christmas must be better.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #59 on: 03 Dec 2008, 10:31 »

To be fair, he probably needed it way more than you
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #60 on: 03 Dec 2008, 11:50 »

That's an interesting idea though. Take pictures of you giving other people things that they want, and then give them the pictures. If people still talk to you afterward, you win Christmas!

clockworkjames

« Reply #61 on: 03 Dec 2008, 15:53 »

He needed it to deliver medicine or some shit, I need it to get to the train station and do jumps off walls and stuff... It could have gone either way.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #62 on: 03 Dec 2008, 16:11 »

The housemates and I are getting a tree, and having a party on Christmas with a keg and some bin juice, as well as getting each other presents but we have decided we each have to get each other ten presents but we cannot spend more than 20 dollars on each person.

The game is on.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #63 on: 03 Dec 2008, 16:18 »

I am having a bbq and booze day with the brother and our crew I think!  It's going to be super! 4 days off! YES!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #64 on: 03 Dec 2008, 17:21 »

Christmas dinner went well! Some pictures to follow.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #65 on: 03 Dec 2008, 17:43 »

Went? As in past tense? *looks at calendar*

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #66 on: 03 Dec 2008, 17:49 »

Yeah we already did a family Christmas lunch

Some people are busy, Joe Hocking. I for one have a hectic amount of drinking to do on Christmas day that quite simply cannot be slotted alongside a family lunch no matter how hard I try or how drunk a family I come from.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #67 on: 03 Dec 2008, 20:50 »

yeah but its like only the 3rd, Christmas ain't a comin' for another 21 days... I'd hope you've got enough time between now and then to have a dinner...

As it stands, my family is gonna be spending Christmas in Tejas, pendejo. We're drivin' down after classes get out for me and my brothers, and we're going to be spending Christmas with our cousins, and then one of them is gettin' married on the 26th. They are accepting gifts at their registry at Target or donations to like Christian Children's Fund or something like that. Man, holidays. I'm already remembering why I hate going to visit extended family during the holidays in the Bible Belt.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #69 on: 04 Dec 2008, 05:07 »

I know that I complain about christmas a lot and having to go see my mum and whatnot but every so often something happens that reminds me how nice Christmas is. I hopped on bus at about 11pm earlier tonight as I was coming home from visiting my brother. The bus looked like this:

I wish I'd gotten a picture of the bus driver. He was wearing a fake white beard and a santa hat.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #70 on: 04 Dec 2008, 06:57 »

Aw man. Why not my bus?
JON MADE ME GAY

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #71 on: 04 Dec 2008, 07:01 »

I got my Christmas overtime hours back last week and I've only got 11 extra hours rather than the 22 I was wanting (:-() but nevertheless that is extra moneys and somewhere to be that is not my house.

The problem with Christmas is that if anyone comes to visit, the whole house has to be cleaned from top to bottom for them. And obviously visitors come more often at Christmas than at other times of the year. So there is a lot of cleaning, and a lot of stressing. Also I have to spend Christmas Day with my mum's partner's family, who I have only met once last Christmas and who intimidate me a bit. I'm not very good with people I don't know and I really want to spend Christmas Day watching the astonishingly good television programming and relaxing. It's been a busy term and I don't really want to spend my one totally free day trying to be polite to a bunch of relative strangers who are all much older than me and from a completely different background. Is this unreasonable? I'm not going to kick up a fuss because it's Christmas and all, but I just want to know if I'm really being selfish here.

On the plus side, tomorrow is the street party late night shopping Christmas extravaganza, where the entirety of the town turns into a fairground and all the shops stay open until 10pm. I get paid tomorrow morning so I'll be able to buy all my presents and look at the lights and listen to the bands and have an awesome time and then there are fireworks and it is the best event in the whole of the year and I'm excited about it!
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #72 on: 04 Dec 2008, 07:31 »

Last year I got a card saying some african dude got a bike for christmas.

Thankyou for figuring out what the hell I'm going to get my older sister. There's a world vision store in the city that sells all sorts of fair trade stuff and it does the cards like that. The best thing about these gifts is that you can just recycle the card when the card recycling thing happens (they're all made from recycled paper) and it's like you never got a present in the first place. The gifter fulfills the requirements of the gifting season, the giftee doesn't end up with clutter and someone who probably doesn't already have too much crap ends up with something useful. Everyone wins.

(My younger sister is getting wine glasses because she said she needed some)
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #73 on: 04 Dec 2008, 11:37 »

i just realized that i get two motherfucking weeks off work for Christmas! holy shit i am not going to anything!!!!

it's going to be awesome.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #74 on: 04 Dec 2008, 12:15 »

Went? As in past tense? *looks at calendar*

Uni timetables and people not being in the country for very long means our Christmas dinner had to be early. I'll have a second Christmas dinner with my family on the 25th, probably.

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #75 on: 06 Dec 2008, 16:53 »

Our christmas dinner is awesome. It consists of:
Country ham, eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, baked grapefruit with brown sugar on top, orange juice and milk.
Coffee before and after.
It's wonderful. It's like the best meal of the year.

Buddy-ro
Haha, that's a Southern thing as far as I know. My dad calls me that sometimes. I thought he was the only one. Well. You know what I mean.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #76 on: 06 Dec 2008, 18:04 »

My mum told me today that I could just get her gift vouchers for Christmas/birthday.
YES.
I will probably get her a little silly thing to go with them, as is my custom.  But that simplifies things up so much!
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #77 on: 07 Dec 2008, 05:23 »

I'm flying to California on Friday. I'm sortof half-excited. On one hand, I get to see good friends and the few cool people on my dad's side of the family. On the other hand, my normally kindof boring dad gets even MORE boring around Christmas time, because the weather is constantly changing and it fucks with any of his projects that are related to woodworking. So there'll be pretty much nothing to do when I'm there except talk about things we'd rather be doing.

And that house is fucking freezing (since nobody ever puts any fucking wood in the fireplace) so I probably shouldn't bring my Jaguar with me since nitrocellulose finishes have a nasty tendency to shrink and, consequently, crack and start wearing off. I like finish wear, I just don't want to accelerate it. God damn it.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 07 Dec 2008, 07:24 »

Oh god let it get fucked, man. You know how nice it's going to look when the finish starts looking all beat up?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #79 on: 07 Dec 2008, 07:32 »

Man, let's talk when you pay a grand and a third for a guitar. I want at least 5 years out of it before I'll intentionally not care if the finish starts checking.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 07 Dec 2008, 07:35 »

See, I would not pay this much for a guitar. We had this conversation a few days ago.

usmcnavgeek

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Digital, baby.
    • Overdesigned
« Reply #81 on: 07 Dec 2008, 20:29 »

You need two things for a Christmas party: 

1. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi
2. Eggnog

Bonus: Peppermint Schnapps (Mix with 1 and 2 for best effect)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #82 on: 07 Dec 2008, 21:15 »

Ok, guys quick! I need Christmas shopping help.

Who is better?

Dr Who or Ira Glass?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #83 on: 07 Dec 2008, 22:09 »

Always the Doctor.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #84 on: 07 Dec 2008, 22:37 »

I am so looking forward to this new laptop bag; my sister asked me if I really wanted it in this color, so I know she is getting it:
http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-metrolite_ii_burnt_orange.html

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #85 on: 07 Dec 2008, 22:40 »

Thats what everyone, but the giftee said. He said he'd prefer Ira Glass. I spent $75 on him at the TAL store, and I am not even done shopping for him. That isn't too much to spend on a friend, right? I know people spending less on their boyfriends.

Also, why the fuck does it matter? Jesus, why do people have to be so difficult? If I want to spend $100 on someone, then no one should read into it. It means nothing other than "The gift I wanted to get you cost $100"

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #86 on: 08 Dec 2008, 01:29 »

God I hate being damn near broke. I would order that awesome coffee mug for Tara except I don't think I have enough money right yet. I still have my final paycheck from work this year, but I can't get to any of that until I can deposit it when I get to California on Friday.

FUCKKKKKKK JHGIOEMRFOISHUTNGIME

J-cob9000

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • i forgot why i made that picture
« Reply #87 on: 08 Dec 2008, 03:58 »

So I went shopping a while back and forgot that I had put these two books on my wish list. I bought them. V For Vendetta and The Killing Joke. I come home and mom is like, "But I've already bought that for you. And your aunt bought you the other one."
Now I have to return them.
Ugh.

But I did get some jeans and a checkered belt but this isn't the fashion thread.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #88 on: 08 Dec 2008, 04:55 »

JHGIOEMRFOISHUTNGIME

my new gabbly username!

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #89 on: 09 Dec 2008, 00:57 »

1. "A Charlie Brown Christmas" by Vince Guaraldi
2. Eggnog

Bonus: Peppermint Schnapps (Mix with 1 and 2 for best effect)

lamest christmas party ever.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

clockworkjames

« Reply #90 on: 09 Dec 2008, 01:45 »

1. "A White Christmas" by your dealer
2. Casablanca (and anything else with Mr. Bogart in it)

Bonus: NOFX/SocialD/BadReligion
Fix'd

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #91 on: 09 Dec 2008, 03:04 »

I went shopping for christmas presents this evening, and all I ended up with is a new book and a pair of pants for myself. While I'm rather enjoying lying here in my new pants and reading my new book and drinking my housemate's rum, I can't help but feel that I'm doing it wrong.

Also fuck I have to buy a secret santa thingy for one of the guys at work. All I know is that he's a middle-aged microbiologist who likes bird watching and making inappropriate comments. If there was some book in existence of terrible dirty bird puns like "Look At That Pair Of Spotted Boobies" it would probably be the ideal gift, but I don't think this will be easy to find. 
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #92 on: 09 Dec 2008, 03:31 »

Buy him binoculars Nick.  They LOVE that shit.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #93 on: 09 Dec 2008, 03:42 »

The problem with that would be that if he's a bird watcher, he probably already has binoculars that are way better and more expensive than what would be common to give as secret santa-gifts.

I have that issue with Christmas present for a couple of friends of mine. There's one girl who loves art and anime and cute things, but I don't know what to get her, because in the anime and cute things department I'm kinda lost, and in the art-department things I could get her she already has more expensive and better versions of.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2008, 03:49 by Ladybug »

Dollface

• And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #94 on: 09 Dec 2008, 03:50 »

Get some cute dinner set.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #95 on: 09 Dec 2008, 05:06 »

Because Fuck Xmas.

Right in the shitter.

I think we vaguely covered it on the first page. If I see one more goddamned "OHMIGOD HE WENT TO JARED" commercial I'm going to fucking slit my throat.

AanAllein

• Furry furrier
« Reply #96 on: 09 Dec 2008, 05:46 »

I will be spending my second Christmas ever away from the parents - last one was because they were in Europe, and this one is because I'm hanging out with the "in-laws" instead. I will be getting cheap presents for people because I need to save for my month of no work in January!

Also working at a supermarket guarantees that you quickly grow to despise all forms of Christmas carols, especially those performed by pop stars.

Reed

« Reply #97 on: 09 Dec 2008, 06:36 »

I went shopping for christmas presents this evening, and all I ended up with is a new book and a pair of pants for myself. While I'm rather enjoying lying here in my new pants and reading my new book and drinking my housemate's rum, I can't help but feel that I'm doing it wrong.

Also fuck I have to buy a secret santa thingy for one of the guys at work. All I know is that he's a middle-aged microbiologist who likes bird watching and making inappropriate comments. If there was some book in existence of terrible dirty bird puns like "Look At That Pair Of Spotted Boobies" it would probably be the ideal gift, but I don't think this will be easy to find. 

Need a gift for a microbiologist? POW! It doesn't matter if they're middle-aged, all microbiologists love these things!
Quote from: meebo
[22:49] Quietus: I'm personally imagining a white supremacist locked in his basement, furtively listening to Parliament on headphones
[22:49] Quietus: "Oh, lawd, why must them coons rock me so"

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #98 on: 09 Dec 2008, 07:01 »

Because Fuck Xmas.

Right in the shitter.

I think we vaguely covered it on the first page. If I see one more goddamned "OHMIGOD HE WENT TO JARED" commercial I'm going to fucking slit my throat.

Oh cool, at least I don't feel alone anymore. I thought Jared was local to Maryland.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Dollface

• And i thought there would be breasts.
« Reply #99 on: 09 Dec 2008, 07:09 »

My friend and i have xmas tradition, when its christmas eve we go to bar and drink.
Barfy: he needs to get on the sucking of some dick
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up