THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graphic Novels/Comic Books  (Read 58823 times)

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
Re: Graphic Novels/Comic Books
« Reply #150 on: 18 Jan 2009, 17:08 »

Re: Watchmen, Alan Moore in gerneral.

While I don't particulairly have a problem with Watchmen, I do think the years have been overly kind to it, much in the same way they have been to Dark Knight.  Moore's a smart man, an inventive man.  I do think he crammed a ton of info and inventiveness into the story.  I do think he expanded upon the method of constructing narrative within the form, but do I think the story is any great shakes? Not particularly.  I think he transplanted the tropes, ideas, themes and methodology of one or more forms of litererature and moved them into another.  The fact that he was the first to do so in comics makes him a smart man.  I think Watchmen kind of falls prey to Moore reminding everyone how damned smart that structure and his writing itself is constantly, which is a problem I have with a lot of his work, save for the dreck he wrote for Image in the nineties.

Alan Moore's work for Image is some of my favorite comics writing ever, but I've always kind of generally been a fan of good dreck.

His Spawn/WildCATs crossover was especially delightful!

As a general scattering of other opinions I will say

- Wanted was quite good until I read it a second time and noticed the overt racism, misogyny and general panderingness of it

- Immortal Iron Fist was good if you like self-contained storytelling due to there's no relevant character history that isn't covered (or wholly invented) in the current comic itself and the first two collected books make for a pretty self-contained story.

- What you should really get is the three trade paperbacks of Annihilation which is basically a big-ass bitchin' war of armageddon in space.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2009, 17:18 by fifthfiend »

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #151 on: 18 Jan 2009, 17:20 »

Marvels along with Astro City are my forever top two nominations.

After all Kurt Busiek is basically the Michael Jordan's Chicago Bulls of comic book writing.  With heaps of Eisner's and Harvey's under his belt.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #152 on: 18 Jan 2009, 20:22 »

TRANSSSSMETROOOOPOOLITAAANNN
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ThePrettyMonster

• Emoticontraindication
  • :P
« Reply #153 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:05 »

Comic book club.
See, my school has an anime club, but I hate anime. So a couple of my friends and I have decided that we need to start a comic book/graphic novel club. However, none of us own enough comics to even bring about a weekly discussion.
Anyways, my question is, what would be some good ones to buy to help us start this thing?
Addicted to QC since August 14th 2007. Thank you, Noelle Wells!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #154 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:09 »

I don't want to sound like a jerk my friend, but this thread is 4 pages long.  4 pages chock full of comics that people recommend and discussion about them.

lprkn

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #155 on: 19 Jan 2009, 15:38 »

- Wanted was quite good until I read it a second time and noticed the overt racism, misogyny and general panderingness of it

Um, the second time? (It's ok, I'm not the brightest dude out there)

Although I know Wanted is not everybody's cup of tea, I think the racism and  misogyny bits were consciously put in there for a reason.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #156 on: 19 Jan 2009, 20:36 »

Um, the second time? (It's ok, I'm not the brightest dude out there)

Although I know Wanted is not everybody's cup of tea, I think the racism and  misogyny bits were consciously put in there for a reason.

I quite enjoyed the movie.  I think the comic sounds like utter shit.  Excess for the sake of excess.  The movie wasn't artistic by any means, but at least it threw out all the "be a dick for the sake of being a dick" dickery.

I mean, seriously, the last line of the comic was "This is me fucking you in the ass."... no.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #157 on: 20 Jan 2009, 22:33 »

Man, we should probably start a Watchmen literary analysis thread.  There's a good deal to talk about beyond the role of the hero, such as the underlying issues or power and morality and morality as power).

I need to read From Hell, particularly to see if my instinct that Moore and I have very different interpretations of the Victorian period is correct.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #158 on: 08 Feb 2009, 12:18 »

already recommended quite a few times in this thread but maybe repetition will drive the point home - please, please do read craig thompson's blankets if you haven't already.

it's an absolute masterpiece. i can't count how many times i've read this. beautifully written, beautifully illustrated. every panel is incredible. one of the most sincere, absorbing, heartbreaking, and life changing books i have ever read.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #159 on: 08 Feb 2009, 16:02 »

Blankets was awesome, but Good-Bye, Chunky Rice was really weird.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #160 on: 08 Feb 2009, 22:42 »

i love this avatar! the only reason i didn't change it back sooner was cos i thought i had lost it, and also cos it is old and it reminded me of when i was younger and my posts were dumber but suddenly i found it in my pictures and i decided i loved it enough to overlook the association with younger dumber tania so actually like maybe two or three reasons.

bk i have not read chunky rice but i skimmed through it briefly in a bookstore once and i thought it was pretty weird too.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #161 on: 09 Feb 2009, 13:35 »

Is the avatar Delirium? I read the Sandman books at my local library, they had all of them in and I just sat there for a few days, reading, happiest time of my life.

Well, apart from the bit where the lady sticks pins in her eyes and says "I CAN SEE THE GLORY". That bit, more than anything the corinthian said or did, got to me.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #162 on: 09 Feb 2009, 14:16 »

Tank Girl.

That avatar makes me think Tania is actually Tank Girl. If I ever meet you and you are not driving a tank I will be slightly disappointed.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

arkhym

• Not quite a lurker
    • twitter
« Reply #163 on: 09 Feb 2009, 16:02 »

Nextwave Agents of Hate and when it comes out in trade paperback X-men Magneto Testament
You're going to go with one of my plans? Are you nuts? What happens if we all get killed? I'll never hear the last of it.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #164 on: 09 Feb 2009, 16:33 »

Girl Genius.

I know the Foglios have moved it wholly online, but you can still buy their trade paperbacks.  And their story is all sorts of twisty deep.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

lprkn

« Reply #166 on: 13 Apr 2009, 17:30 »

Has any body read Infinite Horizon? It's a telling of Homer's Odyssey in modern times, as a US Army captain returns home from the war in an apocalyptic world. I think it has a lot of potential.

Apparently the first three issues came out like a year ago, and the fourth just dropped. I ordered the first two issues just to check it out.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #167 on: 14 Apr 2009, 10:55 »

excellent! i'll have to check that out...sometime.

can't do it now because i'm too busy reading the new DAN SIMMONS book and it is really long. then, after that, i have The Walking Dead to start reading.
i am pretty excited about my current and future reading endeavors.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #168 on: 16 Apr 2009, 10:07 »

Have I mentioned Y: The Last Man in here yet? I can't remember. Either way, it's a great series.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #169 on: 16 Apr 2009, 14:28 »

I believe it's been mentioned a few times.

Worth noting to those of you who've yet to read it:

The Walking Dead Compendium

The first forty-eight issues of the series (The sixtieth issue just hit yesterday) for under $40 if you preorder. No sensible fan of the format who has yet to read this incredible series should miss that.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #170 on: 16 Apr 2009, 18:52 »

Or take out a loan if you don't.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #171 on: 25 Apr 2009, 12:10 »

Read David B.'s Epileptic. Don't question me, just do it. To get you turgid here's a scan of some of the ridiculously gorgeous art in the book.

edit: This goes for the rest of you as well.

Finally bought this today. I was gonna start a thread about it but then I decided nah.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

lprkn

« Reply #172 on: 27 Apr 2009, 21:51 »

Just wanted to say I finally read Black Summer, and it was sweeeeeeet...

Although the art wasn't really to my taste, but it worked well enough.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #173 on: 15 May 2009, 13:06 »

So, anyone else pick up the first part of the new League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up