THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 13:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigmund hits you. You die... DUNGEON CRAWL STONE SOUP ITT  (Read 111501 times)

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Sigmund hits you. You die... DUNGEON CRAWL STONE SOUP ITT
« Reply #100 on: 06 Feb 2009, 08:17 »

Coulda been poison.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

CardinalFang

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #101 on: 06 Feb 2009, 09:12 »

Pretty sure Sigmund turned invisible and killed me. Something that I couldn't see killed me and it sucked.

Yep, that bastard will do that.
The Orc wizard's do it occasionally as well.
It sucks.
In a recent game I found a ring that would let me see invisible objects. Of course whatever killed me was perfectly visible. I don't remember what is was. I tend to go through characters rather quickly and it's all become a blur of painful deaths.

(From Gabbly) Jodizzle: no sad deaths apart from the eaten kitten

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #102 on: 06 Feb 2009, 13:11 »

My character is level 5 but has 3 Wands of Fireball. I predict that he won't be level 5 for long. Oh, and a cursed ring of slaying; it gives +3 accuracy +5 damage though, so it can be cursed all it wants, because god knows I ain't taking it off any time soon anyway.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2009, 13:37 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

snalin

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • You may Baste me
« Reply #103 on: 07 Feb 2009, 02:41 »

Coulda been poison.

Fuck poison. Fuck you, fucking poison.

FUCK YOU TO FUCKING HELL YOU FUCKING POISONFUCK!

The game, on the other hand, is really frigging awesome.
I am a cowboy / on a steel horse I ride
I am wanted / Dead or alive

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #104 on: 07 Feb 2009, 03:39 »

Well fuck me running.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #105 on: 07 Feb 2009, 06:49 »

i've updated my save file with a couple other handy items, namely a suit of +8 Golden Dragon armor, the best heavy armor in the game (resist cold, fire, poision, trolls and ogres can wear) and 80 each of +Dex and +Int potions and a pretty nice ring and a good amulet.

I haven't found a +str potion but these'll have to do for now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1teetmjomyz
also israel

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #106 on: 07 Feb 2009, 07:20 »

The cap on stat improving potions seems to be +14, after that the potion is wasted.
also, that Golden Armor is hell on your casting abilities

Pants, if you had just gone back up the stairs you would have only had to dealt with a bat.
« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2009, 07:44 by Vendetagainst »
Quote from: Sox
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Quote from: KharBevNor
PEW PEW PEW FUCK OFF SPACE

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #107 on: 07 Feb 2009, 11:40 »

i thought it might cap, i was afraid it would do so after only 3 points.

I included so many because in the lower levels of the dungeon, it's not abnormal to eat 30 points of - stats from rot that you cannot reclaim through Regain Abilities potions, you have to use Increase Abilities potions.
also israel

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #108 on: 07 Feb 2009, 19:54 »

I ended up going back up the stairs, but then went down again for some unexplained reason. I think it is because I am doing this mostly at work and not thinking.
Gandalf has been my longest lived character.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #109 on: 07 Feb 2009, 20:09 »

I was fortunate enough to start out a character in a 2-square room with 1 stair up and 1 trap door down.

it dropped me right into 3 monsters who ate me alive

shortest character yet!
also israel

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #110 on: 07 Feb 2009, 21:55 »

If any of you actually give a shit about this kinda thing, up next is a spoiler.

You know what's fun? Getting hit with confuse and promptly stumbling into the range of a pair of out-of-depth oklob plants because of it. For those of you who don't know, oklob plants spray fucking acid., corroding my armor and effectively crippling my hill orc tank before I could escape. Of course, my inevitable death summary revealed the fact that I had a god damn Amulet of Resist Corrosion sitting unidentified in my inventory the whole god damn time.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #111 on: 08 Feb 2009, 03:07 »

FUCKING INVISIBLE SIGMUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUND

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #112 on: 08 Feb 2009, 12:03 »

I think my most frustrating Sigmund death was when he confused me and I stumbled into a pit of lava.
I think it's because your 'age' is really only determined by how exasperated you seem when you have to stand up.

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #113 on: 08 Feb 2009, 16:41 »

Sigmund has only killed me once, and I don't think I've ever fought him below floor 5.

And also, mutation potions are so awesome.  I had an orc berserker for a while who could spit acid as a breath weapon.

EDIT:  Fuck the huge groups of orcs and wizards, though.  I'm fine if I can get them in a hallway, but when they catch me in the open (usually after poisoning me) I die fast.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #114 on: 08 Feb 2009, 17:00 »

Yeah, I've only died to Sigmund twice in all the games I've played so far, but that says more about my healthy fear of the guy than anything. My low level characters are more likely to die to something like a hobgoblin or gnoll with an unusually powerful enchanted weapon or wand than Siggy, simply because I know better than to tangle with the latter. Orc wizards are bad, but I think I hate orc bands featuring priests even worse since there doesn't seem to be any real defense against smite. It's not so bad if you're a burly fighter with a bunch of hps, but if you're a caster or stealth based character their unnerring accuracy can be pretty deadly.

P.S.Also, do any of you guys know how weapon procs work? I played around with a Crusader for a while and it seemed like the fire weapon brand damage depended on the weapon I used; you know, like a two hander with a fiery brand dealt more per swing than a dagger would. Or, at least that's the impression I got when I started enchanting up my weapons to deal with some ice beasts. But now my current character has a dagger of electrocution that seems to pretty much just randomly murders things. It seems awfully damn powerful for a dinky li'l dagger. Maybe fiery is based on average damage of the weapon like in WoW while the electrocution is just a fixed amount or something? Bleh. Stupid crawl and its stupid mysteries. I'm really curious because the damn thing has like a 50% chance of bursting into an explosion of sparks that can practically one shot a giant worm. I know that doesn't sound that impressive, but when you add in the weapon spead this li'l dagger is pretty nasty.

P.P. Uh, yeah, see I just murdered an ogre in 5 hits w/ 2 bursts of sparks with my li'l lvl 4 kobold.  And since it's a dagger, those 5 swings only allowed him to get in one attack of his own. This thing is silly for a 0/1 dagger.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2009, 18:40 by Alex C »

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #115 on: 10 Feb 2009, 01:27 »

I got my first good character!

A mountain Dward paladin that got down to level 9 and hit the orc mines? Anyone been down to the orc mines? I went through three levels of it and boosted my gold supply from 2-300 to 2000. There are 3 levels down, and the difficulty doesn't increase that much, so if you constructively jump between level 1, 2 and 3 you gain a pretty much free level up. And beneath the orc mines you hit the elf halls, which is a bit harder. But you can still go down three levels full of semi-strong elves that drop good stash and you kill pretty easy. It was fucking awesome, even though a named ogre came by and threw me into the fucking abyss, which I had never seen before and it freaked me fucking out.

Then comes by a simple deep elf warrior with a haste potion, and a slow staff that chops me to fucking pieces. Worst part is that I forgot that I had a teleport scroll. fucking great.

You should really check out the orc mines if you find them.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #116 on: 10 Feb 2009, 02:45 »

I just can't seem to get down that far.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #117 on: 10 Feb 2009, 02:47 »

Oh please for the love of all that is internet holy don't make me be the one to say it.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #118 on: 10 Feb 2009, 03:40 »

SAY IT  :mrgreen:

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #119 on: 10 Feb 2009, 11:39 »

i think fiery weapons add fire damage to every swing whereas lightning weapons occasionally wtfpwn bitches
also israel

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #120 on: 10 Feb 2009, 11:40 »

Yeah, whether I head into the Lair or the Orc Mines first depends mostly on whether I've found poison resistance gear or not. Ideally I like to hit the Lair first, since the ring really, really nerfs the place whereas a berserk orc warlord with a big halberd is always dangerou.

Oh, and  Snalin, be really, REALLY, careful about how far you go down in the elf halls. Like you said, the first few layers are fine, but after a while you start running into rather nasty invisible casters, so I wouldn't go down too far without being able to invisibility. Also, I managed to stumble my way into Elf Hall 7 once. I wouldn't recommend it since there's deep elves everywhere and one summoned demons while the other hit me with nasty, nasty spells. My obit was something fun like "Killed from afar (43 damage) with a crystal spear."
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2009, 11:43 by Alex C »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #121 on: 10 Feb 2009, 12:06 »

i think my new favorite class is Death Knight, decent spells for ranged attacks and fairly compitent with weapons as well.

i've been using a Demigod DK quite a bit, but what are some other races that are well-suited to DKs?
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #122 on: 11 Feb 2009, 02:45 »

I found the Demigod to be the best for DK.

And amulet of the gourmet. HOLY FUCK! Gourmet items must be the most useful in the entire fucking game.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #123 on: 11 Feb 2009, 03:05 »

Gourmet items must be the most useful in the entire fucking game.

om nom nom?

I got into the Orc Mines for the first time the other day. Kinda got mobbed three levels down though. Dang. My troll monk was trucking along quite finely before that.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #124 on: 11 Feb 2009, 10:56 »

I'm pretty down on demigods, in all honesty. The attribute boosts are nice, but their aptitudes are pretty bad, they level slowly and they can't worship gods. I'd rather go with a Sludge Elf, Kenku, Ogre-Mage or Demonspawn or Hill Orc. Ogre Mages in particular are pretty decent at it; a high strength score, Necromancy skill and a Staff of Death or Staff of Pain is pretty nasty, plus they get more hps than demigods and they still get free spellbooks through worship. Being restricted to robes and skins isn't so bad a penalty if you're using spellcasting as opposed to Invoking either, although admittedly fast metabolism is pretty shit.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #125 on: 11 Feb 2009, 11:54 »

it's amulet of the gourmand and it's an ability that is unique to the amulet and mutations.

fast metabolism doesn't become an issue until really far down into the dungeon, where you fight entire levels of shit that does not drop a corpse. all of hell as well as the realm of zot.

even in the lower levels of the dungeon 20-25 you can find things to nom.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2009, 11:56 by Trollstormur »
also israel

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #126 on: 11 Feb 2009, 12:58 »

True enough, but that far into the game is exactly when I start to actually be a pinch irritated if I die, so I rather prefer my inconveniences to be present in the early game rather than the mid-to-late game. Honestly, it's not a very big problem, but with ogre mages it is a pinch annoying because unlike standard ogres and trolls they cannot just stuff their faces at will without owning an Amulet of the Gourmand first.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2009, 12:59 by Alex C »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #127 on: 11 Feb 2009, 13:21 »

how many levels are there, exactly?

i'm always proud of myself if i make it to, like, level 7...but...20-25? fuck that shit must be insane.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #128 on: 11 Feb 2009, 13:35 »

Well, honestly, I'd say it's the first 7 levels or so of the dungeon are actually the most dangerous, simply because your character hasn't had a chance to really develop a truly consistent offense yet, much less diversify. By the time your character hits level 15 or so he should really be pretty decent at whatever his shtick is as well as have a good bag of tricks to work with (be they spells or wands) in case of emergencies. There's still things you have to worry about, but when you die it's a lot more likely to be because you made a genuinely poor decision rather than had a run of bad luck vs. a gnoll with glowing mace. In short, the first part of the game is hardest because your dude is incompetent, whereas the mid-to-late game is tricky mostly because you need to tread water and hold your own while seeking the tools you need to handle unique situations, like grabbing a ring of poison protection before wandering into the Snake Pits. (P.S. FUCK GREY SNAKES)
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2009, 13:43 by Alex C »

BlahBlah

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #129 on: 11 Feb 2009, 13:54 »

Has anyone tried this over SSH yet? It looks like it could be good fun.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #130 on: 11 Feb 2009, 14:34 »

You know what's sweet? Running into Sigmund on level 2, except this time you zap him with a Wand of Polymorph Other, turning him into a sheep. My ogre ate well.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #131 on: 11 Feb 2009, 15:09 »

Man, when I yelled about Sigmund earlier it was mostly because I had cleared a fucking level, then tried a scroll or a potion or something and it told me I felt unstable and it teleported me to a lower fucking level, which I didn't know was possible.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #132 on: 11 Feb 2009, 15:11 »

huh i didn't know that was possible either.

good to know.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #133 on: 11 Feb 2009, 15:26 »

Dude's a bully, pure and simple. I just like killing him.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #134 on: 12 Feb 2009, 01:32 »

You know what's sweet? Running into Sigmund on level 2, except this time you zap him with a Wand of Polymorph Other, turning him into a sheep. My ogre ate well.

The other day I was testing wands out on random stuff (like, somewhere around D:4 or 5). Polyd a gnoll into a human (oops), killed it (was hard). Gained 2 or 3 levels. Also I ate him.  :-D

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #135 on: 12 Feb 2009, 13:13 »

Man, I love summoners. Why the hell should I have to do any dirty work? I shouldn't. Exactly.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

snalin

• You may Baste me
« Reply #136 on: 12 Feb 2009, 14:10 »

I hate summoners. Because they send demons against my level 10 character. Big ass fucking demons. That eat my ass.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #137 on: 12 Feb 2009, 14:18 »

kinky.

jokes aside: what do you guys think about warpers. i played one last night for the first time, not expecting much, but ended up being pleasantly surprised once i had learned a couple more spells.
at one point, i ended up one-shot killing every single thing on an entire level ( level 4 or 5, i think), only being hit myself two or three times, and even then only by lucky darts thrown by kobolds during the same instant in which i killed them.

it was very satisfying.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #138 on: 12 Feb 2009, 16:20 »

I love casters, but I'm not a big fan of Warpers due to the spells they start with; they're less versatile than wizards and aren't as destructive as Conjurers/Elementalists. Portal Projection is pretty OK, but I've never really had any need for apportation, which pretty much leaves Blink (which Wizards also have) and Controlled Teleport, a powerful spell but also one I avoid using whenever possible due to contamination.  Recall in particular hits me as a goofy inclusion considering that warpers start with no summoning abilities whatsoever. It's not a huge deal since you'll find new spells to play with one way or the other, but it's enough to put me off from the class.

If you really want a brutally effective character that can clear the first few bits of the dungeon easily, try a Spriggan Venom Mage. Great stealth, high speed, Sting and Mephitic Cloud means you can poison and then play keep away against just about anything. That said, Spriggans kinda suck at conjurations and poisons are unreliable vs. undead and such, so I'd suggest turning off Conjuration and Poison progression in favor of leveling up Spellcasting until you get a new book, and then start building up a new repertoire for later in the game at that point. Besides, Spellcasting reduces spell hunger and spriggans have a tricky time with food management at times. Think of it less as a "venom mage" and more as an all-around caster who just happens to start with a few nasty, nasty tricks up their sleeve.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2009, 16:32 by Alex C »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #139 on: 12 Feb 2009, 16:29 »

yeah, they start out really lame but after i learned Portal Projection it got waaay better.

personally, i love Blink because it gives me a better chance at escaping something that i know i can't handle, which is good because i am pretty shitty at this game.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #140 on: 12 Feb 2009, 16:34 »

I hate leaving home without blink, but it's one of those things where I can usually manage to get it one way or the other, so it's not really a deciding factor in my spell book selection. Particularly since you can often use summoned critters or enchantments (confusion/mephitic cloud ftw) as a way to create distance as well. Believe it or not, I actually think that a well played Wizard with the Minor Magic (Summonings) book is actually the better escape artist; they get an AoE Confusion (Mephitic Cloud), cannon fodder (Summon Small Mammals, Summon Canine), Slow and Blink. They literally start with 7 fairly useful spells and none of 'em are higher than caster level 3. Really, the only thing they're missing is the Controlled Teleport (which yeah, admittedly, is a pretty awesome spell). Then again, having Magic Dart as your ownly reall offense does kind of suck.

I'm still not sure if a Wizard is really better than a decent conjurer/elemantalist though. Frankly, I've gone through entire levels where I just blew things to kingdom come as a Deep Elf Conjurer of Vehumet. Running away wasn't a thought that came up often.

Dammit. Now I rolled a Deep Elf Wizard again. Bleh.

[EDIT] Holy crap. This Elf Wizard was meant to be. Altar of Sif Muna on dungeon level 2.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2009, 16:54 by Alex C »

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #141 on: 12 Feb 2009, 17:40 »

Sif Muna was a disappointment for me; I didn't know what I could sacrifice for it and advancing takes a long time. Vehumet, however, likes it when you kill things, so levelling up is not hard. Right now I hold the title of Luminary of Lethal Lore and my granted powers are:
You can gain magical power from killing. (small mp restore)
Vehumet is aiding your destructive magic.
Vehumet is shielding you from summoned creatures.

Vehumet is a good god. That being said though, is there anything you can sacrifice to gods like Sif Muna and Vehumet?

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #142 on: 12 Feb 2009, 18:14 »

I haven't found anything ever that I could sacrifice to him, and I've tried stuff worth 10,000g
also israel

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #143 on: 12 Feb 2009, 19:24 »

Man, I have never gotten past a single digit level in this game.  Stupid shit always happens to me.  For example, last game I played a Minotaur Berserker.  Got to level 7.  At one point I killed a giant iguana, an ogre and a rat all at once, then later I regen'd my way through a particularly nasty bout of poison.  Then out of the blue a giant iguana kills me in two hits.  What the fucking shit?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #144 on: 12 Feb 2009, 21:09 »

I just had my best character: a bitchin' Kenku Healer. Got to level 7 or so, was tearing through centaurs and orcs, then an iguana ate me. Pissed me off.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #145 on: 12 Feb 2009, 21:12 »

Thing is, Sif seems to give lots of semi-random books while Vehumet gives you only a couple of books that are hyper specialized in nuking shit and then after that pretty much leaves you on your own. I love Vehumet, he's my boy. But he's the God of Destructive Magic, and that's pretty much all that he does. He's really, really good at it and I'd never regret taking him as a conjurer for even a second. Sif Muna, however, gave me an absolutely stupid number of books for my generalist Wizard (Level 19+ Spellcasting can let you dabble in most low level spells pretty nicely) to play with, AND the ability to forget spells at will.  Being able to memorize and forget a wide breadth of situational spells willy-nilly was pretty nice, particularly since it gave me the chance to try out just a ridiculous number of spells for the first time. I learned more about how various spells work from that single Deep Elf Wizard than I have with all my other casters combined. Plus, eventually Sif gave me some book that let me cast Alter Self, which I used to repeatedly mutate myself until I gained natural Teleport Control and some kind of natural  Repulsion Field(!). Granted, I also ended up with a mildly deformed body (couldn't wear heavy armor) and mild reduced strength, but considering that I was a freaking Wizard, it didn't bother me much. It took a while, largely because I miscast it a lot at first, but it wasn't exactly hard to do either, particularly since Sif protects you from the negative effects of miscasting. Miscasting, btw, is bad, because it can eventually cause you to mutate, except when you do, it's almost always something bad; a fact I learned the hardway with a Vehumite Conjurer who really should have just stuck to throwing fireballs rather than toying with out-of-his-league Divinations.

Basically, what I'm saying here is, both gods are awesome. Vehumet melts faces, while Sif lets you melt your own face and then mold it like putty until you can spit venom and teleport at will.

Also, I pretty much exclusively play casters now since I suck something terrible with melees.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2009, 21:25 by Alex C »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #146 on: 13 Feb 2009, 10:25 »

i still haven't figured out the whole god system.

i mean, i know how to pray and sacrifice kills and shit if i start out with a god, but i don't know how to choose a good for myself. i found a level that was full of statues of gods once too and i tried so many different buttons and shit but it wouldn't let me worship one.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #147 on: 13 Feb 2009, 11:21 »

walk up to it and hit lowercase p for pray. it'll tell you a little about the god and then asks you if you want to join it. hit Y.
also israel

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #148 on: 13 Feb 2009, 11:35 »

huh i could've swore i tried that.

then again, i'm usually playing on a busted-ass keyboard so maybe i didn't hit it hard enough.

Vendetagainst

• Scrabble hacker
  • Too orangey for crows
« Reply #149 on: 13 Feb 2009, 14:56 »

I've accidentally hit the prompt to enter wizard mode a few times, and I finally decided to try it on purpose. It is really, really awesome, even if your game isn't scored afterwards. You can't even die without your permission.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up