THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 08 May 2024, 12:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs that have made you cry  (Read 55088 times)

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
Re: Songs that have made you cry
« Reply #150 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:36 »

Sisters of Mercy are good goth music and they don't dress like that. You learn something new every day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuezNswtRfo

Really, it's the same with any scene; the longer it's been around, the more self-celebrating it is, the more wanky imitators there are, and the harder it is to root through the dreck to find anything worthwhile. I'm not really into goth music any more so I have no idea who's making anything in that vein worth listening to nowadays.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #151 on: 24 Jun 2009, 10:38 »

...jesus, after this and my comments about gangsta rap, i'm gonna become hated in here aren't i? fuck...

I agree with your stance on gangsta rap.
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #152 on: 24 Jun 2009, 19:48 »

Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #153 on: 24 Jun 2009, 21:07 »

listened to both again, and i STILL think the thrice one is better (although if that's the version you've heard, it's a terrible lo-fi version someone's uploaded.  the version on the CD is a lot better in terms of sound quality).

and i don't dismiss goth music because it's "soooo 5 minutes ago," i dismiss it because the vast majority of what i've heard has been a load of over-dramatic wank that sounds like industrial-lite guitars cackhandedly played over a half-arsed slowed-down rehash of a 90s eurodance song.  also i hate music where the image is taken as being more important the music - yes there's perpetrators of this in every genre - but seriously, tell me just ONE goth band who don't dress like an attention-whorish cross between robert smith and a troll that stole some cheap makeup.

...jesus, after this and my comments about gangsta rap, i'm gonna become hated in here aren't i? fuck...

actually i think your comment is fucking brilliant! but on the topic of what goth music is, most people dont have a clue...  there is a huge differance between music for goth's... and goth music. godhead is both... and as they've progressed and lessened the goth-iocity... they've really put out some junk... so maybe they need all that black lipstick to spark the creative process. maybe they're just showmen.

but as technically skilled as Thrice is. their cover is an uninspired carbon copy of the original, I could give a shit how well its played...
I feel godhead kept the spirit of the song. but did something really unique with it... I especially like that they have a layer of the original vocals on their version also...

and besides... the VAST majority of indie music is over-analyzed shit with no real inspiration or creativity... but DAMN how those white English lit/music theory majors like bragging about how great these bands no one likes are, because they're ever so smart with teh moozics.

so... yeah...

I have shitty bands like DEADSY (you know its good because they capitalize ALL the letters!) and you have..... about 70 percent of the mediafire thread! :-P

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #154 on: 24 Jun 2009, 22:46 »

You make some good points but you attempt to back them with, you know, deadsy.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Radical AC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Could use a wish right now
    • bookface
« Reply #155 on: 25 Jun 2009, 01:13 »

Wow, 8 Full Hours of Sleep by Against Me!  just destroyed me.  They lyrics are so full of longing... bah.

edwinalink

« Reply #156 on: 25 Jun 2009, 08:12 »

You make some good points but you attempt to back them with, you know, deadsy.

:-D LMBFAO!

no! no! its DEADSY! all capitals! thats VERY important! :-P

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
    • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #157 on: 25 Jun 2009, 17:29 »

and besides... the VAST majority of indie music is over-analyzed shit with no real inspiration or creativity... but DAMN how those white English lit/music theory majors like bragging about how great these bands no one likes are, because they're ever so smart with teh moozics.

so... yeah...

I have shitty bands like DEADSY (you know its good because they capitalize ALL the letters!) and you have..... about 70 percent of the mediaf!re thread! :-P

although i've found a few awesome things on the mediaf!re thread, i don't download much from it, partly because there's a lot there that just doesn't interest me, and although i'd like to be able to at least give it a try, i just don't have the time, so i just tend to grab the odd few that peak my interest.

but yeah, i don't get the whole elitism/one-upmanship thing with music.  i should clarify that my last post was partly in jest - i don't like goth in general, but there's a few songs i've heard that i don't mind.  just generally not my thing.  i hate when people start arguing about "true (insert genre) here" and "fakers/poseurs" etc.  fuck it, it's all just different arrangements of notes and beats, and at the end of the day, you either like it or you don't.  for all the (mostly) light hearted piss-taking and namedropping that goes on on this forum, i've found a lot of good shit that i'd otherwise have missed, and hopefully i'll have turned on a few people to something they might similarly have missed.

i realise i've started rambling and kinda forgotten the point i was trying to make (damn lack of sleep...), but you get what i mean right?

edwinalink

« Reply #158 on: 25 Jun 2009, 23:43 »

so... yeah...

I have shitty bands like DEADSY (you know its good because they capitalize ALL the letters!) and you have..... about 70 percent of the mediaf!re thread! :-P

although i've found a few awesome things on the mediaf!re thread, i don't download much from it, partly because there's a lot there that just doesn't interest me, and although i'd like to be able to at least give it a try, i just don't have the time, so i just tend to grab the odd few that peak my interest.

but yeah, i don't get the whole elitism/one-upmanship thing with music.  i should clarify that my last post was partly in jest - i don't like goth in general, but there's a few songs i've heard that i don't mind.  just generally not my thing.  i hate when people start arguing about "true (insert genre) here" and "fakers/poseurs" etc.  fuck it, it's all just different arrangements of notes and beats, and at the end of the day, you either like it or you don't.  for all the (mostly) light hearted piss-taking and namedropping that goes on on this forum, i've found a lot of good shit that i'd otherwise have missed, and hopefully i'll have turned on a few people to something they might similarly have missed.

i realise i've started rambling and kinda forgotten the point i was trying to make (damn lack of sleep...), but you get what i mean right?

i find about one in ten that I take from that thread is awesome.... elsiane,bitcrush and eluveite being the three i listen to most currently...

I agree almost entirely with your second paragraph, and I'm not actually a goth, so i found all you've said about them pretty hilarious! and i am so thankful for this forum! mainly because my other music forum only seems to care about music for angry bisexual goth vegans who've definitely snogged billy corgan... and may have indeed snogged brendon smalls...

so they can be a tad limited... :-D

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #159 on: 26 Jun 2009, 01:29 »

angry bisexual goth vegans who've definitely snogged billy corgan

This is definitely the most harrowing sentence I have ever read.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #160 on: 26 Jun 2009, 09:41 »

Hiroshima-Nagasaki Requiem and China Gets The Bomb. Composed by William Stromberg and played by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra.

They are just so overwhelming. You can hear them in the movie Trinity and beyond: The atomic bomb movie.
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

edwinalink

« Reply #161 on: 27 Jun 2009, 02:37 »

angry bisexual goth vegans who've definitely snogged billy corgan

This is definitely the most harrowing sentence I have ever read.

indeed,
It's also more or less accurate.
accept she uses terms like "pansexual" and "asexual"... both of which dont really seem to apply to her... actually I'm pretty sure the first one doesn't even qualify as a word... 

who am i talking about? the lady in my avatar... she's still pretty awesome.

I havent just derailed this thread... I think must have hucked it in to space or something....

so..

Cure My tragedy-COLD... (I dont have to capitalize that one... but it is often on albums)

its about his sister, dying of cancer... say what you want about the bands skill levels... but scooter knows how to make everyone as sad as he is!

Cire27

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • Kill You With Folk
    • last.fm
« Reply #162 on: 27 Jun 2009, 03:40 »

So I was watching The Gaslight Anthem on YouTube and decided I wanted to hear them play Angry Johnny And The Radio.  Normally this song wouldn't get me very emotional, but, during the quiet part (bridge?) of the song, Brian starts singing What Becomes of the Brokenhearted.

Gets me every time.
You don't wanna get mixed up with a guy like me. I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #163 on: 29 Jun 2009, 11:27 »

So, a friend of mine gave me one of those jump drive blitzkriegs of music, and amongst the high-brow indie rock bands (like there is such a thing) was the Manchester Orchestra album "I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child".  It's one of very few albums that can seem more alive to me than life sometimes.

The final song, "Colly Strings" is the best one on the album, and the way I've interpreted it, it's about the singer's self admission to being gay.  He's known it for a while and had already accepted it, though he's a bit world-weary after converting from Christianity and dealing with his dad's death.  And the song itself is this really passionately stated love song addressed to a guy he's loved for a while, and the singer's admitting both that he's gay and in love with him.  The guy he's singing to, though, is closeted, but to the singer, he's worth flushing his own church-boy image down the toilet.

That song opened up this elaborate image in my mind, and every time I listen to it, I feel his emotions, step by step.  It's the first time in my life that I have not only felt gay, but felt like I was in love with this other man's soul.  Thus the tears.

"My curly hair and a voting booth,
Confessingly, this is the first time I've loved you,
And God I mean, God I mean it, I hope that I mean it
'Cause like dying young, idols got the best of me,
Well don't stop calling, you're the reason I love losing sleep,"

It might be one of the best songs I've ever listened to.
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2009, 11:45 by billiumbean »
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

bahhhhh

• Plantmonster
« Reply #164 on: 29 Jun 2009, 14:16 »

It never made me cry but it was the closest one to. Wet Sand by Red Hot Chili Peppers. For some reason, the way it builds up and then the solo kicks in... ah I don't know. Gives me the goosebumps.

Zingoleb

« Reply #165 on: 30 Jun 2009, 14:03 »

Stick Stickly made me laugh until I cried, does that count?

Be My Head

« Reply #166 on: 30 Jun 2009, 19:35 »

^^^

Yes, also...

Simple Twist of Fate - Bob Dylan

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #167 on: 02 Jul 2009, 03:06 »

What really lets me burst into tears is when a child choir sings Schuberts Music composition of Walter Scott's "The Lady of the Lake" Poem.

When the part "Ellens Gesang III - Ave Maria! Oh maiden mild!" comes.

Some of you may know it from the Hitman Soundtrack.
9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

HeyItsMatt

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #168 on: 08 Jul 2009, 23:06 »

I'm not sure if any of these songs have actually made me cry, but I think these songs tend to make me feel sadder (but in a good way?) than anything else I have heard recently.

TV on the Radio - Modern Romance (cover of a Yeah Yeah Yeah's song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pSqxMW5mtA

Yo La Tengo - Tom Courtenay (acoustic version)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_ugG11hr3Y

Heavens to Betsy - Complicated
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci37Uh-W5dY

schmod

« Reply #169 on: 13 Jul 2009, 01:09 »

'Us Ones in Between' by The Sunset Rubdown can be soul-crushing, (particularly with this video as a backdrop)

Bright Eyes and Elliott Smith are also both good for getting all weepy.  Any track from their entire discography should suffice (except for 'Bowl of Oranges,' which has the ironic distinction of being one of the most uplifting songs I know of)

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #170 on: 13 Jul 2009, 04:05 »

Acid Bath - Bones Of Baby Dolls

I love the atmosphere during this song... I remember when I was in town while listening to this song and I saw an old poor man begging for money. I really felt like shit at that time and that image got stuck in my head. Everytime I hear this song it gets very dense. And the guitars are just brilliant along with the melancholic voice.

"Work for pay and pay for freedom
Fuck 'em all,.... we don't need 'em"

« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2009, 04:09 by Mr. Doctor »

edwinalink

« Reply #171 on: 13 Jul 2009, 19:26 »

Acid Bath - Bones Of Baby Dolls

I love the atmosphere during this song... I remember when I was in town while listening to this song and I saw an old poor man begging for money. I really felt like shit at that time and that image got stuck in my head. Everytime I hear this song it gets very dense. And the guitars are just brilliant along with the melancholic voice.

"Work for pay and pay for freedom

I Tried to play this song as part of an art project (playing as part of the display) in high school, the teacher thought it was brilliant... but once the principal actually listened to it... I got kicked out of the show....

so..., well...

though... the fact that my artwork was basically naked women and dessicated corpses...(strictly PG-13, I can assure you. :-P) probably didn't help either...

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #172 on: 14 Jul 2009, 04:23 »

O man.. That's rough. I don't talk to people who don't appreciate some good naked woman and corpses. Meh.
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 15:50 by Mr. Doctor »

edwinalink

« Reply #173 on: 14 Jul 2009, 15:07 »

I KNOW RIGHT!

any sane person can appreciate a little side boob and butt crack.... juxtaposed with rotting faces and skin torn like rice paper!

do you have any idea how long its been since I used "Juxtaposed" in a sentence? GOD that felt good!

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
« Reply #174 on: 15 Jul 2009, 10:36 »

I think perhaps this thread is lacking the devastating live rendition of "Ghost In This House" as performed by Alison Krauss and Union Station.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWRGZaHb8xE

Oh, look - there it is!
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #175 on: 15 Jul 2009, 13:32 »

"Heroin" and "The Needle & the Damage Done" always bring me to tears ever since a good friend of mine died of a heroin overdose a few years ago.  They're just so bone-chilling, and they bring the memories back every time.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

TheSwitch

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • HEY.
« Reply #176 on: 19 Jul 2009, 19:09 »

"Epilogue" by the Antlers always gets me.
"Death to Los Campesinos!" makes me cry smiley faces and bleed puppies.
Yes, I am a lurker.

Arkangel

« Reply #177 on: 23 Jul 2009, 20:09 »

Since I Been Lovin You by Led Zeppelin. Something about the whole song just makes me tear up.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #178 on: 23 Jul 2009, 21:38 »

"1234" by the Plain White T's.

Shut up.  No I am not ashamed.

Also: "Something" by The Beatles.  My heart breaks in two whenever I hear it.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2009, 21:42 by imapiratearg »

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #179 on: 24 Jul 2009, 10:41 »

Black Moth Super Rainbow - Colorful Nickels

This was the song that came on when I was driving away from my best friend's house for the last time before he left for Arizona.  If any instrumental electronica song can evoke the emotion of leaving something you value dearly behind, it's this one.

Eluvium - Prelude for Time Feelers 1

This song doesn't have any particular memory attached to it, but for whatever reason the melody makes me think about all the good times I've had and how they're over now and of all the things I used to love and time destroys everything.

Neither of these has actually made me cry, but I've definitely felt like it on more than one occasion while listening to these.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up