THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 22:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Songs that have made you cry  (Read 54899 times)

n0tj3sus

Re: Songs that have made you cry
« Reply #50 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:47 »

I cannot say that any given song has ever possessed the raw energy to bring me to tears based solely within itself.
however i would be lying if i said there wasn't a period after i lost my fiancee where i found it incredibly difficult to listen or do anything for that matter without breaking down. to this day there are four songs that manage to get me every time for various personal reasons

wish you were here- pink floyd
the sound of silence- simon and garfunkle
the grace- the never ending white lights
to be alone with you - sufjan stevens

to be perfectly honest i have no idea why I'm dumping this on whoever reads it so my apologise.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #51 on: 06 Jan 2009, 09:09 »

Don't apologise. No-one is callous enough to jump on you over that. This is a thread about being emotionally affected and you contributed as such. I'm sorry you lost your fiancee.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #52 on: 06 Jan 2009, 10:15 »

Man.. i lot of the songs mentioned here should get on a mixtape together or something.

A tape to send to someone.... that needs to kill themselves? nah.

But srsly. Great songs in here <3

n0tj3sus

« Reply #53 on: 06 Jan 2009, 10:30 »

Don't apologise. No-one is callous enough to jump on you over that. This is a thread about being emotionally affected and you contributed as such. I'm sorry you lost your fiancee.
thanks mate, but i think its a defense mechanism more than anything to tell you the truth. i was young and still am but its left me jaded or what have you, im really not sure what im trying to get across here but thanks again.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #54 on: 06 Jan 2009, 10:34 »

if i was capable of crying anymore, "Save You" by Pearl Jam would definitely be the song to do it.

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

instrumentals

« Reply #55 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:37 »

Good lord, this year crying was all about Skinny Love by Bon Iver. "I tell my love to wreck it all // cut out all the ropes and let me fall" : oh devastating.

I'm also prone to get a little glassy-eyed during Sigur Ros's Staralfur.

Oh and I totally second whoever wrote A Stone by Okkervil River. Actually most things by Okkervil River could make it onto the list.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 18:39 by instrumentals »

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #56 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:56 »

"The Testimony of Patience Kershaw", as performed by Elle Osborne. The line after "a lady, sir, oh no not me" is just a killer.

http://www.elleo.com/mp3s/The-Testimony-of-Patience-Kershaw.mp3
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 18:59 by Inlander »

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #57 on: 07 Jan 2009, 23:36 »

"Revelation Big Sur" by Red House Painters.  Especially when the first solo kicks in.  That is a damn beautiful melody.

Zingoleb

« Reply #58 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:40 »

Don McLean's Vincent. Damn my fucking dyslexia, that took forever to type out FUCK IT

I am typing much slower than usual now.

The Highwaymen - Live Forever
The Beatles - Because
Enya - Orinoco Flow (Apparently this and the previous one were both played for me while I was in the womb, so maybe it brought back that sense?)

And almost, Iron & Wine's "Naked As We Came." "Each Coming Night," too.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #59 on: 16 Jan 2009, 08:48 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4wm6QQy36U

See also:
"Remember When" - Alan Jackson
"The Background" - Third Eye Blind (not so much cry, but I get chills)
"Neil Gow's Lament For The Death Of His Second Wife" - Neil Gow (Scottish baroque violin player)

The Neil Gow piece is easily the most beautiful piece of music ever written, and I stand firmly by it. If anybody can find a good solo violin version of it, no fucking around, no showoffy bullshit, I would love it if you'd link me the file.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

devomedes

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #60 on: 16 Jan 2009, 11:37 »

One of my closest friends, K, and I used to sit in my basement all of the time, bullshitting about music and smoking hookah. We'd try to one-up each other all of the time, intellectualizing whatever we were listening to, trying to find "the greatest song of all time." I'd play a Decemberists song, he'd play a Radiohead song, we'd have to get up to Mozart or something. But we always agreed on one album, and yeah, on these forums and for our generation, it's about as revolutionary to say this as "I like the White Album," but... we always settled on Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea." When we put that one on, we could just shut the fuck up and listen. The greatness was received, automatic, accepted.

A year ago, one of our mutual friends, A, died of a heroin overdose. It was sent out over campus e-mail, and I realized that I had been sitting with A about three hours before his passing.

I ran into K in the quad, and we headed to the coffee shop on campus to just be together. Not to intellectualize, not even to grieve, just to sit. Blaring over the soundsystem was "Two-Headed Boy, Pt. 2." I looked at him, bleary-eyed, and said "I couldn't take any other music right now."

So yeah, that song makes me cry.

LukeSimm

« Reply #61 on: 17 Jan 2009, 07:38 »

There are two Tori Amos songs that have made me cry.

Me and a Gun, just because it is the most depressing thing I have ever heard. No instuments, just her singing about a certain experience in her life. Urgh.

And then there's Hey Jupiter. I first listened to it while on a bus ride home, and actualy cried on the bus. Que a random person sitting next to me asking if i'm alright. "Yes, it's just this song is so..."

I don't think I'll ever get a stranger look in my life.

--- Luke

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #62 on: 25 Jan 2009, 17:45 »

"Two-Headed Boy, Pt. 2."
I actually came here to mention that song.  I'm sorry about your friend.
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #63 on: 25 Jan 2009, 18:09 »

Often I cry more singing songs then listening to them.

"Sicut Cervus" by Palestrina hits me like a ton of bricks when the tenor part (my part) reaches the last repetition of 'desiderat' with that swelling, rising progression.  That song, in general, is hard to beat in sheer beauty or in its evocation of love and longing, and it's two and a half minutes long and 450 years old.

The strange appalachian spiritual "This is My Beloved" has made my tear up a couple of the times I've sang it.  It's a very odd, almost ethereally celtic-sounding highland song with an odd harmonic arrangement (highland spirituals being rather different from lowland black spirituals--they sound much less American, much more old world, harmonic rather than melodic, etc). 

"When David Heard" by the not very famous 17th century Anglo/Cornish/Welsh composer Thomas Tomkins made my cry repeatedly while performing it.  It's a very expressive polyphonic setting of David's famous "Would to God I had died for thee" response to the death of his son found in the Bible.

"Erbame Dich" by Bach from the Matthew Passion has gotten me on a regular basis as well when I listen to it.

Huh, really religious list.  I guess secular music can make me get close to weepy, but it rarely pushes me over the edge.  Then again, I tend to listen to religious music while feeling crappy, while I avoid Joy Division except when I'm in an okay mood.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #64 on: 25 Jan 2009, 22:38 »

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" by George Jones. Yahoo recently (like a month ago) listed it as the single saddest song ever recorded in the English language.

No word on "saddest song in an obscure Inuit tongue" but I hear that's coming soon.

billiumbean

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • "Clamsss... Waa!"
« Reply #65 on: 25 Jan 2009, 23:03 »

No word on "saddest song in an obscure Inuit tongue" but I hear that's coming soon.
That day is today.

"It's fuuuucking cold..."
Quote from: Alex C
I do agree that this could potentially have some dire ramifications in regards to purple drank.

Be My Head

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #66 on: 25 Jan 2009, 23:08 »

I'll bite

"Do You Realize??" by The Flaming Lips
"Collapse The Light Into Earth" by Porcupine Tree
"The Grey Havens" by Howard Shore

Those 3 are pretty big ones....

Zingoleb

« Reply #67 on: 26 Jan 2009, 00:17 »

LONG POST IS LONG

Really shitty music makes me depressed and cry. I'm serious. It's like, if people around the world consider THIS shit great music, then what the fuck am I doing even bothering anymore?

But really...not all of the following have made me cry, but they've brought me damn close...

Bob Dylan ~ Lay Lady Lay

It's a warm song. It feels warm and comfortable to me, very inviting...like I want to lay down in this song and just be there. It brings up vague nostalgia like I don't know what.

Coldplay ~ The Scientist

My ex-girlfriend used to be obsessed with this song. Now I connect it with her. Fuck I miss her.

Don McLean ~ Vincent

I remember standing completely still in my kitchen, this song playing in the living room, and just letting tears run down my cheeks, listening to this beautiful, sad song. "And when there was no hope in sight, on that starry, starry night, you took your life as lovers often do...but I could have told you, Vincent, the world was never made for one as beautiful as you."

The Highwaymen ~ Live Forever

This is a striking song about death and immortality through your works...but what strikes me the hardest and actually brought me to tears is that it's being sung by four people - Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Johnny Cash, and Waylon Jennings - the last two of which are already dead.

Iron & Wine ~ Naked as We Came / Each Coming Night

Two songs that deal with death and love in such tranquility it astounds me. Each Coming Night made me cry, Naked as We Came has threatened me. It suckered punched me in my heart.

J.S. Bach ~ Fugue in G Minor "Little Fugue"

This song makes me feel the same as Lay Lady Lay. This song makes me feel more at home than any house I've lived in. It alternately makes me want to cry and comforts me.

John Prine

Shit, too many to name offhand.

Marilyn Manson ~ Tourniquet

Okay, shut up, I like Manson, even if I'm not "supposed to" for whatever fucking reason. ...Anyways. This song feels immensely powerful to me (Coma White is another one), from the intonation to the way he describes her and the relationship he shares with her.

Melanie ~ Freedom Knows My Name

This is a song that I grew up listening to. When I met Melanie I requested this...it now evokes a lot of emotion thinking back to when I was younger.

Melanie ~ Arrow

Song preceding Freedom Knows My Name. Originally written by Cheryl Wheeler, it's one of those post-love songs that I'm a sucker for. "Maybe these dreams are leading me, maybe love is not as gentle as my memory, maybe time and wishful, half-remembered fantasies, are the greatest part."

Melanie ~ Photograph

Pointing out very simply how you're not the starry-eyed little idealist you were, that you had to grow up at some point and leave your dreams behind.

Too much Melanie. I listen to too much Melanie...ah, "Detroit or Buffalo," "In My Rock and Roll Heart," "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)"

Mogwai ~ We're No Here

This is the only Mogwai I know please don't lynch me. I still have to thank Jeph and these forums, though, for it.

This song really hits me, full force, everytime I listen to it. It's really simple, but something about it just hits a chord in me and blows me away...hits me with such strong emotion, it's crazy.

The Moody Blues ~ Forever Autumn

I am a sucker for post-love songs, have I not stated this? This one has so much dramatic quality to it that it never fails to make me shiver.

Pink Floyd ~ The Great Gig in the Sky

If I had to choose but one song from Pink Floyd, it would be this song. Such unbridled energy made me cry once, and I wish I could forget this song so I can listen to it with a fresh ear and hear its full impact once more.

The Who ~ Behind Blue Eyes

So many times, I think that this song was written for me.

W.A. Mozart ~ Rondo Alla Turca "The Turkish March"

For years I loved this song, but I never knew who it was. Just a few months ago I learned it was Mozart (I thought it was Tchaikovsky), and then a little while later bought a Mozart CD with this song on it. I couldn't stop listening to it, because it's this song that I've been wanting for years upon years, finally summed up in one moment. My father was with me when I listened to it for the first time, but he usually don't give a shit if I'm crying or not...saved on the questioning, at least.

Yeah, I was bored at 2:30 in the morning and wrote this out...

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jan 2009, 01:54 »

"Half The World Away" - Noel Gallagher

Fuck the full-band arrangement with the rest of Oasis. Just Noel and an acoustic and the raw, unbridled sadness of living a kind of life you don't want to live. A good friend showed this to me right after I had moved away from my dad, with whom I've shared a turbulent relationship. The song became instantly relevant not only to that, but to my life soon after, as I realized that from then on, all of my old friends and all of my family would be, quite literally, half the world away.

And now, since I'm coming up on another transcontinental move, the song's relevance to my life is right back as strong as it's ever been, and so every time I've ever sung it at a gig, I've dedicated it to everybody in the expat community here. They're in the same boat as me.

dujek

« Reply #69 on: 26 Jan 2009, 09:13 »

Warren Zevon's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door gets me every time.

pamplemousse

• Not quite a lurker
  • om nom nom
« Reply #70 on: 27 Jan 2009, 18:04 »

"The Only Moment We Were Alone" by Explosions in the Sky makes me replay every "so close, yet so far!" moment in my mind.  I've cried several times while listening to it.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #71 on: 27 Jan 2009, 20:52 »

Angels Son by Sevendust gets me to tear up when I listen to it.

And, while it doesn't any more, Forever by Papa roach. It came on when I was on my way home from work after my ex left and it just summed up everything I felt at that moment. I didn't want to hear anything remotely ballad like that day.

That's all I fucking heard at work. There was a song right before I left that was titled her name (which I don't want to mention) and I had to cover my mouth to muffle my scream.

That day sucked.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

boneykingofnowhere

• Furry furrier
« Reply #72 on: 27 Jan 2009, 21:18 »

Too many to count, this is just off the top of my head.

Radiohead- How to Disappear Completely and Idioteque(Two of the most beautiful songs ever)

The Weakerthans- The Pamphleteer

Devotchka- How it Ends

The Decemberists- Red Right Ankle

Death Cab for Cutie- Tiny Vessels

The entirety of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea

overandover

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #73 on: 28 Jan 2009, 03:01 »

First post!  I joined just to respond to this thread; what an awesome topic to discuss.  I love that someone mentioned Bon Iver.  I'm from Eau Claire, WI (their hometown) so I've grown up with Justin Vernon around, and he's always been such an influence around here.  A friend of mine is in the band as well; I love seeing them mentioned in the places I'd least expect.  Not to mention the always heartbreaking Neutral Milk Hotel.  Good taste around here!

Songs that kill me every time:

> Sia - Breathe Me

Be my friend/
Hold me, wrap me up/
Unfold me/
I am small/
I'm needy/
Warm me up/
And breathe me

(Just, oh my god.  You have to hear it to understand; just the lyrics do nothing.  This song has always tugged at my heartstrings, but to top it all off it's in the season finale of Six Feet Under, which makes me absolutely sob every time I see it.  Highly highly recommend this song, and show!)

> The Books - Motherless Bastard

(The intro is silly and I love it, but the actual song is all instrumental and is so beautiful and, to me, completely devastating.)

> The Magnetic Fields - Grand Canyon

If I was the Grand Canyon/
I'd echo everything you say/
but I'm just me/
I'm only me/
and you used to love me that way

(If you don't know who Stephin Merritt is ((I assume most of you do)), I request that you go watch a few interviews with him on youtube and check out at least his 69 Love Songs album.  He is absolutely brilliant.  He is generally very sarcastic with his lyrics, but this song still gets me.)

There are definitely more, but I'll refrain from writing a novel here.   :-)

Heathers Brother

« Reply #74 on: 29 Jan 2009, 20:39 »

John Prine

Yes. Sam Stone & Angel From Montgomery get me every time.

Also, Origin Of Love by Hedwig & the Angry Inch. I know it's from a musical comedy, but that final verse never fails to bring the sob.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #75 on: 29 Jan 2009, 22:54 »

"Our Love is Here to Stay" by George & Ira Gershwin always brings a bit of a lump to my throat. If you're not familiar with the song, read the lyrics below and then I'll tell you the story behind it:

It's very clear
Our love is here to stay
Not for a year
But ever and a day
The radio and the telephone
And the movies that we know
May just be passing fancies
And in time may go
But oh, my dear
Our love is here to stay
Together we're
Going a long long way
In time the Rockies may tumble
Gibraltar may crumble
They're only made of clay
But our love is here to stay.

Seems like a pretty normal love song, right? Well here's the story: George & Ira Gershwin were one of the great song-writing teams from the Tin Pan Alley era of American songs. George wrote the music, and Ira wrote the lyrics. In 1937 they were flying high, having moved from a successful career on Broadway to write songs for musicals in Hollywood. Then George started getting terrible headaches. Nobody really knew what was going on, and he continued working. On the 11th of July 1937 he collapsed and died: he'd had a brain tumour. He was 38. At the time of his death he'd been working on the music for a new song, and after his death his older brother Ira wrote lyrics to go with the melody left behind by George. The completed song was Our Love is Here to Stay.

Now with all that in mind, go back and read the lyrics again and see how they make you feel.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #76 on: 30 Jan 2009, 01:00 »

"He Walked On Water" - Randy Travis

A song about his great-grandfather. I can't listen to this song anymore ever since my grandpa died. The music isn't particularly beautiful, the words not particularly poetic, but man, the song brings back memories, and I've just looked at the lyrics and man, I'm tearing up something vicious as I write this.

Man I really shouldn't have gone and looked at that, totally fucked with my day.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #77 on: 30 Jan 2009, 13:00 »

"Thin Line"- Jurassic 5 Feat. Nelly Furtado.

I guess I can relate all of my emotions to J5, Decemberists and Weakerthans songs. In particular, this reminds me of a person that used to be really close to me, but a lot of things happened between us, and now we've kinda come apart... And just 6 minutes ago, I stopped talking to the person because of what they just told me.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Waferman

« Reply #78 on: 30 Jan 2009, 16:12 »

Frog Eye's "Caravan Breakers", for some reason. It doesn't make me cry but I've been overcome with emotion to it.
Also Sunset Rubdown's "Shut Up I am Dreaming of Places Where Lovers ave Wings", although I suspect that's been said already (I am too lazy for "CTR+F).

youthcant

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Bigfoot is a very lonely fellow.
« Reply #79 on: 01 Feb 2009, 16:42 »

when i thought i was a hippy in high school, i saw phish post-hiatus and i cried like a little girl when they played "wading in the velvet sea."

but, manchester orchestra's "sleeper 1972" is pretty sad

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #80 on: 01 Feb 2009, 22:09 »

John Prine

Yes. Sam Stone & Angel From Montgomery get me every time.

Also, Origin Of Love by Hedwig & the Angry Inch. I know it's from a musical comedy, but that final verse never fails to bring the sob.

I haven't seen the movie, but isn't that the number based on Aristophanes' speech in the Symposium?
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

heinonymous

« Reply #81 on: 02 Feb 2009, 17:41 »

well, get a bunch of tissues and watch this:

http://cz.youtube.com/watch?v=cun6DzK7teI

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #82 on: 02 Feb 2009, 19:34 »

Wow, that George Jones song is sad   :cry:

One that gets me every time though is Maggie by Colin Hay. Such a sad story.

Also, The Foggy Dew by The Chieftains with Sinead O'Connor. Great vocals but heart-wrenching.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2009, 20:05 by the_pied_piper »
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Clintaga

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • <("<) (>")> <("<)
« Reply #83 on: 02 Feb 2009, 20:23 »

What Do You Go Home To? By Explosions in the Sky and a Change is Gonna Come by Baby Huey and the Babysitters both had me crying full on Big Girl I-Dropped-My-Ice-Cream-Cone tears when i first listened to them.

The only sing that consistently inspires tears these days in the Kingdom hearts Theme song (Stupid Ex girlfriend, still being associated with that awesome song cause we did it like 8 seconds after I beat Kingdom hearts the first time).

As far as songs that emotionally move me, Seaglopur by Sigur Ross and The Conspiracy of Seeds by 65daysofstatic.

Edit: I just listened to Conspiracy of Seeds and started crying, so take that as you will.
Life goes by pretty quickly, and if you don't stop every once in a while and do whatever you want all of the time, you could miss it.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #84 on: 02 Feb 2009, 21:42 »

Bon Iver:  Wow, I knew they were from Wisconsin, but I did not know they were that close to me.  Cool.
Hedwig:  I wouldn't call it a comedy.  It goes from hilarious to heartbreaking over the course of the story.  I wouldn't judge anyone for tearing up.  Hedwig is pretty fantastic, and I usually despise musicals.

I could go on and on on this, because I have cried to a lot of songs.  I was pretty much a whiny self-pitying sap as a teenager, and I would actually make mix CDs designed for wallowing in misery, even before "emo" was "cool."  I will second Tori Amos as a tearjerker.  I discovered her at the height of my teen angst, and it was a match made in weepy teenage hell. 

The first song that comes to mind is "Tunnels" by Arcade Fire, and it's an example of circumstances colliding with lyrics.  It was winter, and I was in this really terrible, codependent, emotionally charged, self destructing relationship with a guy who was borderline suicidal.  He disappeared one morning, and I went to class trying not to be a wreck.  Over a few days, the snow had piled up several feet deep, so much that that morning, I had to climb drifts just to get to campus.  During studio, we listen to music, and that song came on.  "Tunnels" refers to two lovers who dig tunnels through the snow to be together.  I broke into tears in the middle of class, but most people were drawing intently and didn't notice.  I got myself together and went home "sick."  (The boy is still alive, and from what I hear, seems to be getting over his issues.)

I can only think of two songs that have made me cry on their own.  The first is "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" by the Smiths, the first time I heard it.  It is just so darn poignant.

The second, which still gets me going every damn time is called The Cat Carol by Meryn Cadell.  It is probably the worst Christmas song ever.

LYRICS.  Just reading these made me sniffly, if you hear the actual song it is far worse.  No songs with Santa Claus in them should be allowed to be this goddamn depressing.

emmalee

« Reply #85 on: 05 Feb 2009, 14:08 »

Songs that kill me every time:

> Sia - Breathe Me

Be my friend/
Hold me, wrap me up/
Unfold me/
I am small/
I'm needy/
Warm me up/
And breathe me

(Just, oh my god.  You have to hear it to understand; just the lyrics do nothing.  This song has always tugged at my heartstrings, but to top it all off it's in the season finale of Six Feet Under, which makes me absolutely sob every time I see it.  Highly highly recommend this song, and show!)

Oh man, me too. I haven't watched the show, but this song is so, so dripping with sadness. I always end up listening to it when I've had a terrible day.. bad idea, that. I was going to say "Breathe Me", too, but I have a few more.

Sigur Ros - "Hoppipolla". It's actually a pretty happy song, but it stirs up layers and layers of nostalgia for me, so I end up weeping over the "good old days" or something.
Buddy - "Blindsides". "You're not your best, so/let's just stay home/Disconnect the phone/we're still on hold" ... I've never cried, but it's damned depressing. Actually, most of the album "Alterations and Repairs" brings me down a bit.
Tegan and Sara - "You Wouldn't Like Me". Only when I'm incredibly lonely, though. That's more circumstantial.
Straylight Run - "Swing Life Away". Yeah yeah yeah shoot me. I don't listen to Straylight Run, but this was our senior song from band camp :[

Hey, I made a mix playlist for wallowing in sorrow too! :D (Even though emo got to the idea before me.) Good catharsis, anyway.

SrMeowMeow

• Plantmonster
« Reply #86 on: 05 Feb 2009, 15:51 »

The only two songs that have ever made me cry are:

Find the River - R.E.M.

I loved it forever, but then our youngest cat ran away when I was away at school, who happened to be named River, and when I heard she'd been found hit by a car I knew this song would never really be the same. The lyrics are basically a complete metaphor for death anyway. I guess in terms of losing a friend or family member it's not on the same plane, but she was always a little screwed up from living in the wild, very hard to touch or even get near physically, and the thought of her running around terrified, and then dying alone on the street, is a really hard thing to think about for long. And this song always brings that back. Which is sort of a shame, because I love this song, but it gives it power.

Leaving on a Jet Plane - John Denver

My mother sang this to me when I was young and it just ruins me. It's so pretty, and it's just so sad. I guess when you're a kid, you're afraid of being left alone, and that's basically what this song is about.

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #87 on: 05 Feb 2009, 16:14 »

Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros - Silver and Gold

Last song on the posthumous last album, all about the things he wants to do before he gets too old to do them. The song I want played at my funeral.

Oh my God, I am so with you on this one. I can't even tell you. That song kills me.

Other ones that make me, if not quite tear up, get me as near as I ever get. Choked up at least.

The Carter Family - Can the Circle be Unbroken (mainly the line, "I told the undertaker, undertaker please drive slow, cause that body you are hauling, lord I hate to see her go." Something about that is so RIGHT and so exactly how I imagine losing someone you love.)

Warren Zevon - Keep Me in Your Heart for a While (basically his goodbye note)

Blanking on the rest right now. A bunch of Old Crow Medicine Show tunes get me right here.

digopheliadug

« Reply #88 on: 05 Feb 2009, 20:51 »

I am stupid and girly and music makes me cry a lot, but here are the big ones:

Wish You Were Here - Rasputina cover
Lucky - Bif Naked
Love Ridden - Fiona Apple (I'm sort of embarassed about that one, but there you are)
Romeo and Juliet - Dire Straits
Snowblind Friend - Steppenwolf

Edit: How did I forget this one?

A Quitter - Rasputina
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2009, 21:31 by digopheliadug »

Yossarian

« Reply #89 on: 19 Feb 2009, 16:14 »

Cases of actual tears in my eyes:

Listening to "Ommadawn - Part one" by Mike Oldfield while driving in my car after not having listened to it for many years. Overcome by memories I had to pull over and exit the highway. Right to this day I get very emotional, when hearing that chorus.

"Requiem - Libera me" by Gabriel Fauré and "Requiem - In Paradisum" by Maurice Duruflé - these two seem to always get me - as well as some parts in Profiev's first three piano concertos and the final scene of "Tosca" by Puccini with Maria Callas singing.

"In the backseat" by Arcade Fire. Wonderful and extremely emotional song.

Lately, "Bluish" by Animal Collective had me in tears - but of joy rather than anything else. It's just beautiful.

Serious cases of lump-in-throat:

"Jesus, etc." by Wilco

"This woman's work" by Kate Bush

"Fruit tree" by Nick Drake

"Ugly love" by Eels - one of the best piano ballads ever.

"Wise up" and "Save me" by Aimee Mann - for ever connected to the movie, and it really hit me at that time

"Blue Spanish Sky" by Chris Isaack - I just can't help it

... and then there is Jacques Brel: "La fanette", "Jef", "Fernand", "Les désesprés" and of course "Ne me quitte pas" really strike a chord in me.

meticulous

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #90 on: 20 Feb 2009, 13:11 »

sleater-kinney - jumpers

the theme is pretty tear jerking but that haunting voice just does it for me..

TLT Thomas

• Plantmonster
« Reply #91 on: 27 Feb 2009, 18:18 »

"Don't Take The Girl" by Tim McGraw. Last verse. Guy's wife is dying in childbirth and he's praying to God to take him instead. Damn if I don't well up almost every time.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #92 on: 27 Feb 2009, 18:49 »

Nothing's got there yet, but Tom Wait's Kentucky Avenue probably gets closest.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Zingoleb

« Reply #93 on: 28 Feb 2009, 01:46 »

Warren Zevon - Keep Me in Your Heart for a While (basically his goodbye note)

God.

I'm listening to that now...

Fuck you for reminding me.

I'm...not crying... *sniff*

Miniluv

• Not quite a lurker
    • My Last.fm
« Reply #94 on: 01 Mar 2009, 00:14 »

Treefingers - Radiohead

I was in downtown Boise after my Grandmother's funeral with this song on repeat. Still gets me.

I feel like I'm going to get blasted for this one, but here it goes.

Does He Love You? - Rilo Kiley

A good female friend of mine got married. About a month later, I had realized that she had married the wrong man. We had a long discussion about the impossibility of our potential love, then I heard this song for the first time. I can't hear it without choking up.

exomni

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #95 on: 04 Apr 2009, 13:04 »

Sufjan Stevens - Casimir Pulaski Day

"When the cardinal hits the window", god, gives me goosebumps every time.

Also Romulus, to a lesser extent.

A couple that haven't been mentioned yet:

He Was a Friend of Mine - Dylan or Willie Nelson either.

And "Hurt", the version by Johnny Cash.

The Joker

• Curry sauce
  • Why so serious?
« Reply #96 on: 07 Apr 2009, 15:11 »

Warren Zevon's version of Knocking on Heaven's Door gets me every time.

Yeah, he was dying of brain or lung cancer when he recorded it and he knew he hadn't much time left.  You can just feel his sadness.

Also: Space Oddity by David Bowie

Patience, November Rain, and Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses because they reminded me of a girl I'll probably never see again.

And "Powderfinger" by Neil Young.
They say the Joker is a wanted man...

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #97 on: 07 Apr 2009, 15:44 »

Thanks to him dying, "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" kindof makes me choke up. I guess he finally needed to go to bed.

thomals

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 07 Apr 2009, 16:02 »

For Today I Am A Boy by Antony & the Johnsons is absolutely beautiful.

And i don't even want to be a woman.

Ceiling Cat

• Emoticontraindication
  • WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW
« Reply #99 on: 08 Apr 2009, 07:17 »

I've never cried at a song, but there some that have moved me considerably and will always have a place in my heart </cheesy>

Dinner at Eight - Rufus Wainwright
Untitled 1, 2, 3 and 4 - Sigur Rós
Time Has Told Me - Nick Drake
Somewhere Over The Rainbow - Judy Garland
How To Disappear Completely, Pyramid Song and Let Down - Radiohead
Looks Just Like The Sun - Broken Social Scene
Bedshaped - Keane (I know, Keane are uncool here, whatever)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up