THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Eleventh Doctor  (Read 91103 times)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: The Eleventh Doctor
« Reply #150 on: 10 May 2011, 13:42 »

I would imagine it was quite a fun episode to make.

Pirates, for frig's sake!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #151 on: 10 May 2011, 20:51 »

And Captain Jack?

:D   ;)
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SirDudley

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #152 on: 11 May 2011, 10:47 »

And Captain Jack?

:D   ;)
But he's not a pirate! He's an omnisexual time-traveling con man!
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #153 on: 11 May 2011, 11:35 »

I suppose some would call that a "space pirate", but I say "wrong sucka, there are actual pirates piloting that hospital ship now. They're space pirates".
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

SirDudley

« Reply #154 on: 12 May 2011, 10:41 »

I suppose some would call that a "space pirate", but I say "wrong sucka, there are actual pirates piloting that hospital ship now. They're space pirates".
The one question "Curse of the Black Spot" left in my mind was: What's going to happen to their original wooden ship now? We never did get to see that.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #155 on: 12 May 2011, 12:58 »

Here's my theory: the baby is Rory's (because frankly if they cuckould poor Rory there will be outrage, not least from the readers of the Radio Times), but because it was conceived in the TARDIS, presumably, it can't get a lock on its reality and time line, so it is there and not there and maybe is the child who we see regenerating, and also the girl in the space suit, and possibly also some else too who we haven't met yet.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #156 on: 12 May 2011, 13:22 »

Word on the street is it's someone we have met. I'm not sure how much stock I put into the theory though.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #157 on: 12 May 2011, 13:59 »

Barmy, I think the time lords of the main timeline in new Who are descended from humans. When they were removed from history it was from the history of that timeline and the Doctor is now so far removed from his own so the writers can still bring back Time Lords in future serials (Take that, RTD!) without it being to great of a stretch (cause let's face it, most things in this series have been a stretch). I expect that we will visit a "Gallifrey" at some point that has been settled by the Scottish/English/French refugee ships and that there will be Ponds.  

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #158 on: 13 May 2011, 00:30 »

D:

Still not liking this series as much as the last, but who am I to complain? It is my favourite thing ever.
TOMORROW: NEIL GAIMAN OMG OMG OMG

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #159 on: 13 May 2011, 01:22 »

i love that

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #160 on: 13 May 2011, 06:27 »

I'll admit that I let out a groan of "STOP. KILLING. RORY" during the last episode.

I then realized the fact that Moffat is just screwing with is. Rory is more immortal than the Doctor.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #161 on: 14 May 2011, 15:14 »

Next week we get a the first of a biopunk 2 parter, so excited.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #162 on: 14 May 2011, 22:18 »

The Weeping Angels are still more scary then the Silent

SirDudley

« Reply #163 on: 15 May 2011, 20:09 »

So, "The Doctor's Wife" was a nice episode. Part of me expected it to be a two-parter, but for what we got, it was good.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #164 on: 15 May 2011, 20:31 »

It was very touching! Very much along the lines of Vincent And The Doctor, at least emotionally - I'll admit I got a bit choked up at both. Gaiman definitely did the series justice.

Also, as freaky as the Rory thing was, I busted up laughing when
(click to show/hide)

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #165 on: 16 May 2011, 00:57 »

I have been shipping the Doctor/TARDIS for... okay, not very long, like two weeks lol but I thought it was such a great and nifty idea and NOW IT IS CANON AND I AM HAPPY
it's time to stop posting

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #166 on: 16 May 2011, 09:19 »

There was a decent enough Torchwood episode called "They Keep Killing Suzie". There definitely needs to be a "They Keep Killing Rory" episode.

Anyway, yeah, completely great.

The Doctor:
She's a woman. And she's the TARDIS.
Amy: Did you wish really hard?
The Doctor: Shut up! It's not like that.
The TARDIS: Hello! I'm Sexy!
The Doctor: ...still shut up!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #167 on: 16 May 2011, 12:38 »

I find Doctor Who pretty funny, but "Did you wish really hard?" was the first time I had to pause the TV while laughing.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #168 on: 16 May 2011, 12:54 »

I'm running a week or so behind, thanks to OnDemand I can actually watch them. I thought the Black Spot was just ok. But really Moffat, trying to kill of Rory again?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #169 on: 16 May 2011, 16:23 »

The Doctor's Wife was brilliant brilliant excellent but I did not expect any less from Mr Gaiman, did anyone else tear up when they saw the old console? No? Just me then.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #170 on: 16 May 2011, 16:52 »

I'm in the Smith > Tennant grouping, so..it was pretty cool.

I do like the coral/whatever it is that was in Tennant's control room more than Smith's, though. It's prettier. And he always threw his jacket on it.

SirDudley

« Reply #171 on: 16 May 2011, 23:04 »

The Doctor's Wife was brilliant brilliant excellent but I did not expect any less from Mr Gaiman, did anyone else tear up when they saw the old console? No? Just me then.
I kinda wished they went with an older control room (like from the classic series) as opposed to the RTD era of Doctor Who, which was still somewhat fresh in people's minds. But, yes, Neil Gaiman did a good job.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #172 on: 17 May 2011, 06:30 »

I can still hear Amy saying "did you wish really hard?" when I think about it, that was such a brilliant line. I did tear up a little when he had to say goodbye, although not as much as when he said goodbye to Rose - I was actually sobbing then. It was a great episode, but it didn't have a whole lot of plot in it. Or at least, it didn't advance the story arc very much.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Muppet King

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #173 on: 17 May 2011, 14:33 »

I kinda wished they went with an older control room (like from the classic series) as opposed to the RTD era of Doctor Who, which was still somewhat fresh in people's minds. But, yes, Neil Gaiman did a good job.

That was my first thought, but then I realized they'd probably have to rebuild the old control rooms or do a terrible green screen in order to pull it off.
Yes, as a matter of fact, we'll probably use algebra like mad today!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #174 on: 17 May 2011, 21:15 »

So what is up with the new intro with Amy Pond explaining everything? I was hoping it was a one time thing but I guess not.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #175 on: 18 May 2011, 00:10 »

It's just for you guys.

SirDudley

« Reply #176 on: 18 May 2011, 13:16 »

So what is up with the new intro with Amy Pond explaining everything? I was hoping it was a one time thing but I guess not.
My guess...is that the BBC realized how much more U.S. viewers Doctor Who has garnered over the past few years, and decided to put a summary for new viewers to bring them up to speed.

As an American, I do find it a little insulting, considering that from Tom's post, it's an U.S. exclusive. Yes, Doctor Who has made a success in the United States, but that does not mean we haven't caught up on the mythos and history of the series.

Then again, this is the same company that only realized NOW that simulcasting in the UK and the US is good for business.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #177 on: 18 May 2011, 13:34 »

Whereas Australia gets it a fortnight later.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #178 on: 18 May 2011, 15:48 »

No, they're down to a week later now. Progress!

As for the recap bit, just think of it as an excuse to hear more of a woman talking in a Scottish accent. What's to complain about?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #179 on: 19 May 2011, 11:49 »

Actually, it is.  The licence fee and the grant for overseas services do not cover everything.  Even when I worked there (around 1970) there was a division called BBC Enterprises that specifically made programs (or separate recordings of domestic programs, like the Proms) for sale abroad.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SirDudley

« Reply #180 on: 19 May 2011, 13:23 »

The BBC ain't a company in the business of making money. :P
*looks at how most of William Hartnell's episodes and nearly all of Patrick Troughton's episodes are completely lost forever*
<_<

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #181 on: 19 May 2011, 14:41 »

Happened about 30-40 years ago.

In one of the greatest acts of Institutional Vandalism, the BBC destroyed hundreds, if not thousands of Video Tapes and Films in it's archive simply to save on space and money.  As far as I'm concerned, those responsible should have been arrested and sent to a prison in Antarctica.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SirDudley

« Reply #182 on: 19 May 2011, 14:43 »

I had no idea about that. Suppose I don't know everything.
The fact of the matter is the BBC is at fault for that. Back in the day, the BBC would recycle tapes for their content as a cost-cutting measure (IIRC). Most of the adventures from the first 3 Doctors are literally compiled from undestroyed tapes and fan recordings of the adventures in varying amounts.

Edit: Ninja'd.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #183 on: 19 May 2011, 14:58 »

Same goes for the first Quatermass series - only fragments remain.

I worked at the BBC at a time that recordings were still wiped and the tape reused (I had to specify when drawing tape from stores for a recording whether it should be new or "serviced").  And tape is not easy or cheap to store, and at the time at issue it was expensive as well.  Film was not much better.

The plain fact is that then, as now, huge  amounts of material were being created, and there was no clear sense that everything equally deserved to be preserved for a grateful future - why would the future not prefer its own, better, stuff?  We don't know that what we are doing is truly historical until long after the event. 

Example 1:  In 1970, the BBC broadcast a piece by Stockhausen, which was a directed improvisation by a full orchestra; it was only moderately successful, but I know  that the final rehearsal for it was far better, stunning even, because I recorded it - but the tape is gone, as it was only recorded as an emergency backup in case something went wrong on the night of the live broadcast. 

Example 2:  I have just been asked permission, literally a few minutes ago, for the British Library to archive (as part of a website archive) two photos I took when fooling around as a student!  How easy it would have been for me to lose them or throw them away at any time in the last forty years.

A last thought:  Remember that until the late 1950s and into the 1960s, most programs were broadcast live, even multi-scene TV drama like Quatermass.  The use of recording was not started to preserve programs, but as a means of time-slipping, on the one hand to enable programs to be edited and built up from separate scenes, and on the other to allow a repeat broadcast for convenience.  Archival  preservation was simply not part of the consideration, and this attitude only changed by degrees.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2011, 15:08 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #184 on: 23 May 2011, 18:08 »

On The Rebel Flesh (mild spoilers may ensue)

I'm thinking this might be the Auton origin story, which would be very cool. I was hoping Waters of Mars might be the origin story of the Ice Warriors from classic who but they let that opportunity go by.

as for The Almost people the only thing I really hope it does is gives Rory an explosion because after all he knows exactly what it is like to be in a body which doesn't really own the memories it possess.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #185 on: 23 May 2011, 18:23 »

Autons are plastic, the flesh isn't.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #186 on: 23 May 2011, 20:29 »

I was ready to hate The Rebel Flesh because the promo shots looked so Waters of Mars, but I had a feeling of horrible dread in my heart and stomach the whole time and it was excellent excellent excellent, what a cliffhanger!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #187 on: 23 May 2011, 21:06 »

The entire time I was just thinking that I remember an episode of Voyager like this (S5E18, Course: Oblivion). Granted, however, it's one of the best episodes of Voyager.

I didn't think it was fantastic, but it was pretty enjoyable. This season began with such a good ongoing plot that, honestly, unless the episodes that have nothing to do with it are absolutely tremendous(like The Doctor's Wife), I'm just disappointed. Especially with the terrible, heavy-handed ways they shove "HEY REMEMBER WE HAVE MYSTERIES THIS SEASON" into every episode.

I mean, honestly, the writing staff could probably stand to watch some American TV from after 1990 to figure out how to do this stuff better. Or, even, RTD's run. I hate to criticize Moffat by pointing out RTD's successes, but he was way more successful with this sort of thing.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2011, 21:11 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #188 on: 28 May 2011, 15:13 »

(click to show/hide)

The cheeky git.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2011, 15:24 by Tom »

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #189 on: 29 May 2011, 08:31 »

I was SO excited as we'd been speculating on something along those lines and were wondering when they'd start actually doing something with that arc. I actually yelled, "Now we're getting somewhere!"

Theriandros

« Reply #190 on: 01 Jun 2011, 15:16 »

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Night will fall and drown the sun when a good man goes to war.
Friendship dies and true love lies,
Night will fall and the dark will rise
When a good man goes to war.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #191 on: 02 Jun 2011, 08:30 »

My stepdad posited that maybe Amy's baby will somehow turn out to be the Doctor's granddaughter, who disappeared into the realms of time in one of the old series, but I think that the new version of DW has decided to conveniently forget about her, and also that it would just be one level of complexity too far. Then again, the Doctor's daughter is around somewhere still.

Yayniall

• Bling blang blong blung
  • ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #192 on: 02 Jun 2011, 14:00 »

My theory can be summed up in one word: Dadvros
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2011, 14:10 by Yayniall »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #193 on: 02 Jun 2011, 14:05 »

Eh, my theory has always been that Timelords were just mutant humans.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #194 on: 02 Jun 2011, 18:47 »

My stepdad posited that maybe Amy's baby will somehow turn out to be the Doctor's granddaughter, who disappeared into the realms of time in one of the old series, but I think that the new version of DW has decided to conveniently forget about her, and also that it would just be one level of complexity too far. Then again, the Doctor's daughter is around somewhere still.

he's made references to being a father a few times in the new series, and that his family is all dead.

personally though, i hope that they do bring susan back eventually, and jenny too

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #195 on: 02 Jun 2011, 19:21 »

Jenny will almost definitely return, I think, in some form. Her survival of the episode was specifically requested by Moffat.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
« Reply #196 on: 03 Jun 2011, 01:04 »

i wonder if they'll explain why she didn't change when she came back to life like the doctor does.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #197 on: 03 Jun 2011, 04:27 »

Wait, who was that little girl we saw regenerating in an alleyway? Are we saying that she's Jenny, or Amy's baby, or some other mysterious person?

SirDudley

« Reply #198 on: 03 Jun 2011, 11:41 »

Wait, who was that little girl we saw regenerating in an alleyway? Are we saying that she's Jenny, or Amy's baby, or some other mysterious person?
At this point, I am not sure. If I recall some of the Confidentials from the earlier episodes (the ones for Astronaut and Moon), we will see her new form in a later episode(s). Just know when we see a teaser for a hotel hallway episode, that's when we'll probably find out who this girl is.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #199 on: 03 Jun 2011, 12:57 »

i wonder if they'll explain why she didn't change when she came back to life like the doctor does.

She didn't regenerate, she was just healed by the terraforming energy.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up