THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Eleventh Doctor  (Read 91117 times)

Faker

• Furry furrier
The Eleventh Doctor
« on: 03 Jan 2009, 10:03 »

So tonight the BBC announced the 11th Doctor... It's Matt Smith

Picture here.

Interview there.
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2009, 10:54 by Faker »
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Josefbugman

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Are you Sure thats wise sir?
Re: The Eleventh Doctor
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2009, 10:09 »

Ahhh, the chin of command, some of the best actors of my old school had that chin :-). I am sure he will do fine.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #2 on: 03 Jan 2009, 12:07 »

A BLOO BLA BLOO BLOOO TENNANT BLOO

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?
« Reply #3 on: 03 Jan 2009, 12:11 »

*pat pat* there there, I am sure he will be a good actor, just not as "squee" worthy.
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #4 on: 04 Jan 2009, 23:02 »

I think he looks brilliant. This is the Doctor Who Confidential where he was unveiled if anyone wants a look.

http://au.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F416BAAEF81C272A

The way he wiggles his hands around when he's lost for words during the interview is what nailed it for me.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #5 on: 04 Jan 2009, 23:21 »

Cue the weird fantasy science explained with wiggly hand motions.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2009, 05:40 »

When I first saw this I was kinda stunned, he was well off what I was pictureing for the next doctor. And then something else struck me, he really does remind me more of the old companions than he does of the old doctors, partially because of his age, but also because he's got that sort of scrawny nerdy look to him that they used to favour so as to give the young Who fans somone to relate to.

I've watched as much of Party Animals as has aired in Australia and his character which could have been taken off the page and turned into a very boring 2D character had it been done by a less talented actor has instead been turned into someone I give a shit about, and probably half the reason I watch the show.

I'm now very curious about how they will cast the companion(s) because up until now, there's always been the age gap between the doctor and companion (rose was supposed to only be about 19) and how they will play it if they do bring back River Song, who's actor would be considerably older than Smith.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jan 2009, 13:10 »

I always thought that the whole "you're the youngest Doctor I've seen" thing that Song said in the library was meant to be ironic.

mbb

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2009, 18:19 »

You know how I knew he was perfect? The hair. The hair is so fabulously Doctor quality.

cgarci21

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Shagtastic
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2009, 21:51 »

I refuse to pass judgement quite yet but I think this doctor has a good shot. Its strange but he reminds me of a little, young, Hybrid of 9 and 10 insofar as looks. Although in his interviews he acts sort of wiggly, as I've seen mentioned, and I always liked that about 10. It reminded me of early doctors.

So anyways he has promise, at least thats my two cents, we'll see.
You know how animals can sense a tsunami coming before humans notice? I'm like that, only for sexy things. -Dora Bianchi

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2009, 23:14 »

I'm now very curious about . . . how they will play it if they do bring back River Song

Maybe there's internet gossip that says otherwise, but I sort of got the impression that the Silence in the Library/Forest at Night storyline was the only time we were ever going to see River Song. I mean, it's not like we see absolutely everything that the Doctor gets up to: characters in the show refer reasonably often to having taken trips in the TARDIS that haven't been shown on screen; furthermore, the impression we get of the Doctor's and River Song's story doesn't really fit the template of the show: it was clearly some grand and long-term love affair, rather than a series of adventures, I think. So unless they're going to start filming "Doctor Who: the retirement years" I wouldn't be surprised if we never see River Song ever again.

Which would be fine by me. The story in which she appeared was just about perfect just as it was. Sometimes it's better to be left to imagine the rest.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #11 on: 19 Jan 2009, 16:30 »

Yes.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:07 »

Okay, by coincidence I've just finished watching the River Song episodes again and in fact there's nothing in either of them that makes it essential for the Doctor to be played by David Tennant if she ever appears in the series again. Yes, she refers to how he looks a couple of times, but what she says is ambiguous at best. In "Silence in the Library" she says:

"Going by your face, I'd say it's early days for you, yeah?"

and a few moments later, in the same scene:

"Look at you. You're young."

Both of these lines could easily be taken as meaning that when she knew the Doctor, he'd regenerated and no longer looked like David Tennant. After all, if she knows the Doctor so well she wouldn't need to know what he looks like to recognise him: here's this guy in the library which is supposed to be deserted, bounding around trying to save the day and who obviously knows more about whats going on than anyone else, and she's called the Doctor to come help - so who else would it be? So basically, if Stephen Moffat has anything further planned for the Doctor/River Song relationship, David Tennant leaving the series shouldn't affect it. And actually this seems more likely after repeat viewing than I'd previously thought: she refers to "the crash of the Byzantium", and also to the Doctor turning back armies, so maybe their relationship was more action-packed than I previously surmised.

And yes, I know I got the name of the second episode wrong in my previous post. But I like my title better. And henceforth I shall also be referring to the episode "Blink" as "Blunk".

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jun 2009, 02:42 »

Thread res because the new companion has been announced. Karren Gillan

Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2009, 02:48 »

Helllllloooooooooo .... nurse.

I do hope that this one completely fails to fall in love with the Doctor.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2009, 05:15 »

Okay I am definitely watching the new series, regardless of the lack of David Tennant. Mmm.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2009, 09:26 »

Okay I am definitely watching the new series, regardless of the lack of David Tennant. Mmm.

Ehh, she's just a Generic Pretty Girl. Though if she speaks with a Scottish accent, I'll be a goner.

Mainly though I'll be watching the next season because I'm so excited to see what Stephen Moffatt will do, and because I'll be so glad to see the back of Russell T. Davies' increasingly annoying camp sensibility and melodramatics.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jun 2009, 14:30 »

Pretty Redhead Girl.

I'm a sucker for the gingers.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jun 2009, 06:51 »

Oh hello there, pretty woman.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jun 2009, 07:47 »

Ehh, she's just a Generic Pretty Girl. Though if she speaks with a Scottish accent, I'll be a goner.

Mainly though I'll be watching the next season because I'm so excited to see what Stephen Moffatt will do, and because I'll be so glad to see the back of Russell T. Davies' increasingly annoying camp sensibility and melodramatics.
The gay references were getting a bit ... yeah. A lot of them.

I liked that. At first. But it got a bit excessive.

But, seriously, RTD wrote some awesome, epic stuff. Some very clever and mature content for what in essence was a kid's show.
My Art.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jun 2009, 09:14 »

Doctor Who is not a nor has ever been a kids show, it is a show that is accessable to children, but not a childrens show.

As for Russel T Davies I'm glad he's gone. He deserves full credit for  getting the show back on its feet but beyond that fuck no. you were right he wrote some epic stuff epic with a capital 'e' and a capital 'pic' and my god and surprisingly enough it's ended up ridiculusly over the top. Take the last episode of season 4. fuck that shit. having two doctors and all the flashbacks - some of which were only to a few minutes before. honestly that would have to be my least favourite episode behind only Love and Monsters (also a RTD script)

As for Stephen Moffatt: he is leaps and bounds my favourite TV writer, infact  he'd probably be up there as just my favourite writer of any form. I am however aprehensive because
A) I worry that he may not be able to keep up the standard of excelence that he has displayed in the past when he is writing half a season.
B) it is a great doctor who tradition that the randoms who pop up in each episode die, to date he has not killed anyone who has not later been brought back in some form except through natural courses.
C) I worry about the direction he may take the series, in the past his episodes have concertrated on three things:  'wibbely wobbely timey wimey' stuff like River Song or Sally Sparrow, meeting people who have met him before but he hasn't met them.  The doctor falling in love - Madam de Pompadour (sp) and river song. and most worryingly the doctors real name, he's already made it cannon that the doctor has a real name and has twice now hinted at it - though for a second I was thinking that he had written Midnight, so maybe not as bad as I was thinking.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jun 2009, 09:48 »

As for Stephen Moffatt: he is leaps and bounds my favourite TV writer, infact  he'd probably be up there as just my favourite writer of any form.

Do I get any cool points for saying that I once shared a hotel bed with Stephan Moffatt, and he let me touch his Hugo?*

*both sitting on said bed fully clothed in a room full of people during a party at the World Science Fiction Convention where he had just won the Hugo Award for one of his Dr. Who scripts
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jun 2009, 17:19 »

The gay references were getting a bit ... yeah. A lot of them.

It's not really the gay references that annoy me, more near-constant tongue-in-cheek tone and cheesy pop-culture references.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jun 2009, 18:10 »

I can't really imagine being attracted to that woman given the way the picture has been handled. I once discovered a dead woman who looked less ashen than that. 

Also, yeah, what Inlander said. I do not believe that every program must be deadly serious but there's only so far you can go before I start having a hard time caring for your characters at all. This is fine if you're essentially going for an all-out comedy but it's something that sometimes gives me trouble with Doctor Who; it is very hard for a series to have it both ways with me.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jun 2009, 19:53 »

As for Stephen Moffatt: he is leaps and bounds my favourite TV writer, infact  he'd probably be up there as just my favourite writer of any form.

Do I get any cool points for saying that I once shared a hotel bed with Stephan Moffatt, and he let me touch his Hugo?*

*both sitting on said bed fully clothed in a room full of people during a party at the World Science Fiction Convention where he had just won the Hugo Award for one of his Dr. Who scripts

Jealousssssssss
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #25 on: 07 Jun 2009, 00:50 »

It does, actually, get you HUGE cool points.

I actually liked the season 4 finale. I have trouble believing someone didn't. Okay. Learn something new every day.
My Art.

chowburger

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #26 on: 10 Jun 2009, 09:42 »

Agreed. Matt Smith looks kind of disappointing from an (entirely shallow) eye-candy point of view, but she'll definitely do instead  :wink: Assuming she doesn't turn out to be intolerably annoying, that is...

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jun 2009, 12:48 »

I sincerely do not like the way Matt Smith moves.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #28 on: 20 Jul 2009, 14:56 »

how about how he dresses?

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #29 on: 20 Jul 2009, 21:21 »

He kind of manages to pull off a bow-tie with the sheer jocular shape of his nose
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

FIXDIX

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #30 on: 20 Jul 2009, 22:57 »

Him in that picture reminds me of Crispen Glover.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #31 on: 21 Jul 2009, 02:30 »

All I get from that photo is that Stephen Fry needs to be the doctor after this guy.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #32 on: 21 Jul 2009, 02:42 »

I think they're cute.  :-P

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2009, 09:22 »

All I get from that photo is that Stephen Fry needs to be the doctor after this guy.

Oh hell no. Don't get me wrong, I've loved the man since I used to watch Jeeves And Wooster and A Bit Of Fry And Laurie when I was a kid but he'd be terrible. He'd just end up doing the amiable, bumbling upper class character he's been trotting out for years on QI and the like. I'm honestly still a bit disappointed that they didn't give it to Patterson Joseph, so I'm rather hoping he might get a shot next time around.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #34 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:20 »

The next doctor will be EVEN YOUNGER (spoilers: it is one of the Jonas brothers)
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #35 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:38 »

and who will be after that, Doctor the toddler? Doctor the embrio? Doctor the glint-in-the-milkman's-eye?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #36 on: 24 Jul 2009, 01:43 »

One of the guys off of Skins

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #37 on: 24 Jul 2009, 17:11 »

The next doctor will be EVEN YOUNGER (spoilers: it is one of the Jonas brothers)

They're gross:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #38 on: 24 Jul 2009, 17:33 »

Hey man I was just joking around. Ain't no reason to go doin anything rash like actually posting a picture of those homunculi.

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jul 2009, 20:21 »

Hmmmmmmm
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2009, 08:28 by Zombiedude »

Mein Tumblr

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #40 on: 30 Jul 2009, 00:33 »

Was that a questioning 'hmmm' or and admiring one?
My Art.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #41 on: 30 Jul 2009, 03:00 »

Dovey, I never knew you were one of the Jonas brothers!
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #42 on: 30 Jul 2009, 08:09 »

clearly what dovey is hinting is that he is infact already cast as the 12th doctor

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #43 on: 04 Aug 2009, 22:19 »

Dovey, I never knew you were one of the Jonas brothers!

FIGHT YOU

(which one?)

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #44 on: 05 Aug 2009, 02:12 »

You're so Dreamy!
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #45 on: 05 Aug 2009, 02:54 »

euagh, those sideburns

Mein Tumblr

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #46 on: 01 Mar 2010, 17:03 »

GUYS GUYS

So the first Season 5 trailer I saw was a bit silly.

But this one looks awesome! Seems they've really stepped up the production values. And I'm HECK of Excited for Mr Smith!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #47 on: 01 Mar 2010, 17:21 »

Oh yeah that silly one is supposed to be viewed in 3D so it's just a bit silly and showoffy.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #48 on: 01 Mar 2010, 17:22 »

Doctor Who starts April 4 but knowing the ABC we wont see it until like September or something.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 01 Mar 2010, 17:48 »

Not on our televisions, no.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up