THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The Eleventh Doctor  (Read 91099 times)

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
Re: The Eleventh Doctor
« Reply #100 on: 10 Apr 2010, 18:10 »

I like the way the doctor speaks now. Cool rythms. Lovely voice.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #101 on: 13 Apr 2010, 12:54 »

Second episode was disappointing. Perhaps it couldn't have been otherwise... The elements of the plot were all pretty classic Doctor Who, but there wasn't enough time to flesh them out and give them much significance. I fear the season is starting out with a jolt, trying to accomplish too much before we've had time to get to know the new Doctor, the show's new directions, etc... The preview for the next one didn't give me much reason to think otherwise.

Plus, the episode started off with the Doctor staring up Amy's skirt. That's not very classy.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #102 on: 13 Apr 2010, 15:56 »

I liked the episode, we got action with suspense and key twists existed so that we could actively discern them as the episode progressed. This episode showed us more of what Amy and the Doctor are like and the episode seemed like quintessential British sci-fi (or maybe I'm just biased towards ray-gun gothic).
Although the episodes themes were apparent they felt underdeveloped but I hope this is only because this is part 2 of 13. Unlike shows like Eastenders, Dr Who. is planned out in story arcs and that's what the new series have been like. I hope that I'm right about Moffat's (show-)run.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #103 on: 14 Apr 2010, 07:33 »

There was definitely a lot going for it, but I guess it felt to me like someone knew just about all the things that should go into a Doctor Who (at least a new Who) episode yet couldn't quite put them all together in a believable way. One of its mis-steps was going for a full-blown emotional moment at the end. A new Doctor, especially with a new companion, needs (I think) to be a bit more enigmatic at the beginning. The unwrapping of that mystery is one of the beauties of the show, because it gets to happen over and over again.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #104 on: 14 Apr 2010, 10:29 »

i enjoyed it.

the theme of being forced to do the necessary thing rather than the 'right' thing is something most tv writers lack the balls to really deal with. usually they set up some 'save the world or save your girlfriend' choice, and then wuss out by having the hero somehow manage to save both. here, they actually managed to have it both ways in a manner that i really liked, in that rather than just making the moral dilemma magically go away, they waited until the hero had already committed to doing the necessary thing before jumping in and stopping him. in this way, we see that he is not only willing, but strong enough to act pragmatically no matter how hard it is, while at the same time avoiding the material consequences of that choice. it also goes a long way to demonstrating the value of his sidekick.

if overused, things like this will kill the drama, but to start off with, it helps to strongly establish the character.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #105 on: 25 Apr 2010, 07:19 »

Ok, so I know nothing about the new doctor (I only know about episodes my friend has on DVD, and we don't get BBCA on campus so I can't watch new episodes), BUT, I just found out about this genre of music called "Time Lord Rock," like Wizard Rock only infinitely cooler.  There's a whole awesome CD of songs about Doctor Who, and it's free to listen to online!  (Blink is absolutely amazing, I want to buy the CD just for that)

Anyway, that's it.  I just wanted to share the awesome sound with you Doctor Who fans (The rock ain't bad, and I love English singers' voices)

edit: whoa, the band Chameleon Circuit (the Time lord rock band, I think I failed to mention their name) has a David Tennant look alike in the band)
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #106 on: 29 Apr 2010, 19:50 »

Oh dear, oh dear. I have to share this with the world.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #107 on: 30 Apr 2010, 04:07 »

like Wizard Rock only infinitely cooler.

, in that infinity times zero is still zero

You fucking nerds.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #108 on: 30 Apr 2010, 08:45 »

Actually, infinity times zero can be any number.  It depends on the functions and their derivatives and how they approach either infinity or zero.
For instance, take 1/x*x.  at x=0 the function equates to "infinity" times zero, for which no value can be assigned since it is an indeterminate form, but when you take the limit as x-> 0 the function 1/x*x becomes 1.  :D
Huh, I did learn something from Math 241 last year.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2010, 08:46 by smack that isaiah »
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #109 on: 30 Apr 2010, 09:03 »

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #110 on: 30 Apr 2010, 13:25 »

Finally saw both parts of The End of Time, now on to this season.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #111 on: 03 May 2010, 08:05 »

So OK the limit of (1/x)*x as x approaches zero is 1, but you still haven't said that it is. The function still has a discontinuity at x=0.
The point is really more that you cannot multiply by infinity. You just can not.

Also this new season is kind of balls, yes? Weak writing, and too much of this cocky 'I'm the Doctor' business. Like, Doctor, you only made it out of that trap with the angels because you very fortunately happened to bounce a gravity ball up there earlier. It could have very easily ended up with your demise. You aren't a ninja, you've just been very, very lucky.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2010, 08:09 by Slick »

the_pied_piper

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #112 on: 03 May 2010, 10:03 »

I thought the gravity used was the ship's artificial gravity? Surely the gravity ball got swallowed up by the time energy and so never existed anyway? Which actually begs the question of how the gravity still works at all.

Other than that I actually like the new Doctor Who. I was never a fan of Tennant or Ecclestone but the new Doctor seems quirky and fun. I will agree that the writing isn't particularly strong but it is still enjoyable so that doesn't really matter much considering that it is not exactly a turn-your-concentration-levels-to-maximum kind of show.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #113 on: 07 May 2010, 20:48 »

I finally got to see the first 3 episodes of the new season.  Fucking amazing.  The first episode had me laughing hysterically every time he would try a new food.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #114 on: 15 May 2010, 12:44 »

It is downright rude to show certain episodes of Doctor Who only in HD when it is well known that the majority of the audience are students who have to stream it over the internet.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

the_pied_piper

« Reply #115 on: 15 May 2010, 15:27 »

It takes a couple of hours but they put the normal version on the iplayer eventually. I downloaded the HD version first and it was still choppy even though it wasn't explicitly streamed after i'd downloaded it which is pretty stupid.

Wasn't particularly impressed with the episode though, to be honest.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #116 on: 16 May 2010, 02:07 »

I did not know that! That is useful, thank you.

And the rest of the post basically summed up my feelings about the episode, although I'm glad they did it because they had to get over this "will she leave him, won't she?" thing. It is getting boring - not everyone in the world is going to fall in love with the Doctor.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #117 on: 16 May 2010, 07:12 »

... you are joking right. Amy's choice had to be the best episode Ive ever seen. Honestly, great concept, perfect pacing, and kept me guessing about who HE was the whole time, but now I think about it it was perfectly obvious, and someone bright and lucky could have picked it from watching the trailer.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #118 on: 16 May 2010, 07:45 »

It was like that episode of Futurama with the bees.
But not as good.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #119 on: 16 May 2010, 08:33 »

... you are joking right. Amy's choice had to be the best episode Ive ever seen. Honestly, great concept, perfect pacing, and kept me guessing about who HE was the whole time, but now I think about it it was perfectly obvious, and someone bright and lucky could have picked it from watching the trailer.

It wasn't even so much that it was fairly boring with not much happening but to end it all they combined two of the most overused and often worst performed endings in TV/film (the 'It was me all along' and the 'It was all a dream'). I also wish that Rory had just stayed dead because now this stupid storyline will drag on forever.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #120 on: 16 May 2010, 10:33 »

I actually think it will mean that the stupid storyline isn't going to drag on forever - hopefully it will have put to rest any of the irritating Rory-jealousy things. I'm intrigued about how we're going to cope with two companions though; I guess we had the same thing with Mickey and Rose, though.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #121 on: 18 May 2010, 02:18 »

Old who has some experience with two companions as well so it will turn out fine.

Loved the episode. But then I am an unashamed fanboy of the new series. It might all have been done in the past in other series but I don't care. Whenever new Who does something it almost always feels fresh.
My Art.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #122 on: 24 Jun 2010, 20:11 »

Man. I am not happy. I just caught up on the last two episodes and I am really not that thrilled here. Oh look, everyone the doctor's ever fought, united to stop him by locking him in a box. Great job, guys.
Why not, just, like, shoot him?
Also, what is this plastic consciousness you guys are just pillaging everything you can from the earlier series aren't you? The nesting consciousness was not a top-shelf bad guy, it was just a one-time thing. It was neat because it gave a reason to have store mannequins (which are super creepy anyways) to be running around as bad guys.

Man I could just go on but I won't. I am really disappointed for a bunch of reasons, but that is TV.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #123 on: 25 Jun 2010, 00:48 »

Well ... one time thing ... Wiki disagrees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestene

My Art.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #124 on: 25 Jun 2010, 00:52 »

Now, that would make sense. This season has been filled with loving nods to Pertwee.

J

• Scrabble hacker
  • Godkiller
    • My GlobalComicJam profile
« Reply #125 on: 25 Jun 2010, 02:19 »

Man. I am not happy. I just caught up on the last two episodes and I am really not that thrilled here. Oh look, everyone the doctor's ever fought, united to stop him by locking him in a box. Great job, guys.
Why not, just, like, shoot him?
presumably, they are aware that killing the doctor is seldom particularly effective. locking him in a box is actually a fairly reasonable approach in light of this.

and personally, i thought it was an interesting twist to have the bad guys trying to save the universe from the doctor.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #126 on: 25 Jun 2010, 02:30 »

Here's some insider info from Moffat on the final episode:

http://www.flickfilosopher.com/blog/2010/06/062410doctor_who_thing_of_the_day_st.html
My Art.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #127 on: 26 Dec 2010, 14:36 »

Didn't get to see the Christmas episode, found this online

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #128 on: 26 Dec 2010, 15:39 »

It's really really good, definitely the best christmas episode of at least New Who.

Theriandros

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #129 on: 24 Apr 2011, 21:13 »

*revives*

The Impossible Astronaut: FUCK YES THIS WILL BE A GOOD SEASON

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #130 on: 24 Apr 2011, 21:30 »

Didn't get to see the Christmas episode, found this online

I followed that link Blue, and got 'This video is no longer available as the user has closed their account'
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Yayniall

• ◔ ◡ ◔
« Reply #131 on: 25 Apr 2011, 05:39 »

I enjoyed the Easter episode, was slightly surprised that there weren't any aliens though.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #132 on: 25 Apr 2011, 16:30 »

You mean aside from the creepyfaced astronaut things?

And Richard Nixon? Alien too.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #133 on: 25 Apr 2011, 16:59 »

I hate cliffhangers! HATE! This is why I can't stand watching TV.

Also I think The Silence had me almost as creeped out as the Weeping Angels. Then I started thinking, "What if you put the two together into one memory-erasing quantum-locked being?" Then I couldn't fall asleep.

I love this show.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #134 on: 25 Apr 2011, 18:21 »

I really didn't like the first episode of the new season, but maybe it was just the uneasiness of all of the characters made me uneasy. Also those memory-altering alien things are mean, they're going to ruin everything, why don't they just leave everyone alone.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #135 on: 25 Apr 2011, 18:56 »

I enjoyed the Easter episode, was slightly surprised that there weren't any aliens though.
nice
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #136 on: 26 Apr 2011, 12:22 »

I really didn't like the first episode of the new season, but maybe it was just the uneasiness of all of the characters made me uneasy. Also those memory-altering alien things are mean, they're going to ruin everything, why don't they just leave everyone alone.

Because then the only plot of the episode would be "Shane lusts after Karen Gillan".
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Theriandros

« Reply #137 on: 30 Apr 2011, 20:46 »

HERE THAR BE SPOILERS

What the hell was the lady in the vanishing door slot in the orphanage?

And why is the girl regenerating like a Time Lord?

:psyduck:

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #138 on: 30 Apr 2011, 21:16 »

And Richard Nixon? Alien too.

Well, that certainly explains a lot.   :-D
James The Kugai 

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #139 on: 01 May 2011, 02:16 »

This year's arc is going to be nothing short of humungous.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #140 on: 01 May 2011, 06:19 »

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN
it's time to stop posting

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #141 on: 01 May 2011, 17:38 »

Best season premiere of the revived series? Hell yes.

That was magnificent and a great way to set up a plot and tone for the season.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Theriandros

« Reply #142 on: 01 May 2011, 20:15 »

Certainly topped The Eleventh Hour, my favorite opener thus far.

I suspect this will be a fantastic bunch of episodes, now that Moffat's had a year to build his Chekov's Armory in Series 5.

SirDudley

• Hope's Bright (Night)Light
« Reply #143 on: 01 May 2011, 20:17 »

Stephen Moffatt has made up for all the bad taste that Russel T. Davies put in my mouth. IN SPADES.

Just when I thought Season 5 was a slice of epic, Moffatt returns and one-ups himself in every way possible.

To paraphrase a famous movie quote: "Moffatt, you magnificent bastard...I read your BOOK!"
Disclaimer: Avatar image does not reflect user's true identity.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #144 on: 02 May 2011, 08:44 »

And why is the girl regenerating like a Time Lord?

:psyduck:

A regeneration of the Master is my best guess.

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #145 on: 03 May 2011, 09:12 »

its pretty obvious that shes amys daughter, and being born in the tardis has meant that something about her is a little bit time lord.

As for the vanishing door slot in the orphanage. personally I'm betting at least half this season is actually dream memory/flashback that amy is having while in some sort of coma or hypnosis
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #146 on: 06 May 2011, 07:19 »

She re-imagined reality wrong.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

SirDudley

« Reply #147 on: 09 May 2011, 13:40 »

Welp, this weekend's episode was the "Breather-episode-with-the-scaled-back-budget-so-we-don't-blow-more-minds-with-this-season's-arc." episode.

It was not the worst episode I have seen ("Love and Monsters" can ROT IN THE CHASMS OF HELL FOR ALL I CARE), but....not the best either.

Did give some nice character development for Rory and Amy, though. Plus, it had a decent twist I was not expecting, despite the seriously scaled back budget.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2011, 13:42 by SirDudley »

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #148 on: 10 May 2011, 00:17 »

Ahhh, so the budget's back to 'BBC Standard' is it?
James The Kugai 

SirDudley

« Reply #149 on: 10 May 2011, 09:46 »

Ahhh, so the budget's back to 'BBC Standard' is it?
Just for this episode, more than likely. But from the "Doctor Who Confidentials", everyone had fun with the episode despite the scaled back budget.

Also, "The Curse of the Black Spot" had some bad luck with scheduling. It's right after the phenomenal opening episodes, and right before Neil Gaiman brings back the damn SIDRATs from "The War Games" (aka, Patrick Troughton's last serial before regenerating, so like...1969). So, the episode kinda got the shaft on more than just the budget front.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up