THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT January 5-9  (Read 83897 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: WCT January 5-9
« Reply #50 on: 05 Jan 2009, 09:03 »

Anyone else think that Faye's comment just really summed it all up?

About the only place in Ohio that could stimulate Wil's creativity would be the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - he could bask in the reflected glory
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #51 on: 05 Jan 2009, 09:07 »

p.s. ok, ok, so i admit i read and loved all of twilight. but have you seen the movie? ugh.
p.p.s yes i know books are always better than the movies. this movie was exceptionally bad.

This is a little bit off topic, but I have never laughed so hard in a movie.
It was all kinds of bad.
My sides hurt as I left the theatre, and all the angsty ten-year-olds were glaring at me.

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #52 on: 05 Jan 2009, 09:13 »

Or Ellen.
Wherever she disappeared to.
Velociraptor.

This comic has so many punchlines that it's ridiculous. Which might be the point. My favourite know, just everything fits perfectly*. You can really see how much fun Jeph had with this one. Have more fun with your comic, you hear? ;O
I'd sum up Penelope's look in panel 3 with IMIGHTFAINTBUTWTF.

* But that kind of motor cycle making the sound of a Roomba? Come on.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2009, 09:19 by Headwoünd »
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

Exar_Kun

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Me Hawngry!
« Reply #53 on: 05 Jan 2009, 09:26 »

Yeah I sense a new signature phrase in the last panel, it will be as popular are the coveted "What the Hell Ass Balls?" phrase.  Man, I laughed like a maniac by the end of this one.
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

IKantSpell

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #54 on: 05 Jan 2009, 09:43 »

Yeah, I would have enjoyed this more if I didn't know from reading Jeph's tweets that he was desperate to somehow "wrap up" their storyline, and this is what he came up with.  Don't get me wrong, this strip is fantastic and fitting, and Faye at the end is perfect.  I guess I just need to stop reading his tweets.

And I think it's really just a matter of time before he deletes these forums.  I for one think that's a fantastic idea.

HappyGrar

• Plantmonster
  • Vulcan Boob Squish'd
« Reply #55 on: 05 Jan 2009, 10:08 »

We've seen less than a week of comic-time. Damn Wil's arm healed fast.

Call me a tard for looking this closely, but if you look under his sleeve in panels 4 and 5 you can see what might be a cast. Note that it's only on that arm. That aside, he doesn't really seem the type to be dissuaded from his grandiose plans by a little thing like a broken arm. :lol:
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2009, 10:11 by HappyGrar »

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #56 on: 05 Jan 2009, 11:54 »

I knew it.  Penelope wants so bad for that kind of poetic relationship she'll will herself into cognitive dissonance to believe she has one!

MamiyaOtaru

• Plantmonster
« Reply #57 on: 05 Jan 2009, 12:07 »

There are no redwoods in Washington (aside from a few in southern Oregon, all are in California).

It's Wil's mistake though, not Jeph's I'm sure.

ThePrettyMonster

• Emoticontraindication
  • :P
« Reply #58 on: 05 Jan 2009, 12:26 »

The sensitive, poetic type who has a newly found grunge, feelance attitude? Sounds like the perfect man, hahaha. This comic was one of the funniest in a really long time. What the ass? hahaha
Addicted to QC since August 14th 2007. Thank you, Noelle Wells!

ThePrettyMonster

• Emoticontraindication
  • :P
« Reply #59 on: 05 Jan 2009, 12:28 »

Also, Im reading this as I sit in my photography class, the kid sitting next to me thinks Im crazy for laughing so hysterically
Addicted to QC since August 14th 2007. Thank you, Noelle Wells!

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #60 on: 05 Jan 2009, 12:38 »

There are no redwoods in Washington (aside from a few in southern Oregon, all are in California).

It's Wil's mistake though, not Jeph's I'm sure.

lol, or both. It could just Wil trying to sound really poetic.

Pen's expression is really priceless in the last 2 panels.
Help bring back the dragons!

Dagdason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #61 on: 05 Jan 2009, 12:51 »

"What

The

Ass"

What made it worse is that the song Zero from Ace Combat Zero started playing on my playlist while I was reading this comic, and reading his dialogue while listening made the hair on the top-right-back side of my head stand on end for some reason.

La

« Reply #62 on: 05 Jan 2009, 13:23 »

I love how people post on the forums to agree with Jeph that the forums should be deleted. That said, this is one of two forums I frequent and the other one has a much friendlier environment, so maybe that's what he hates about it, the fact that everyone jumps down everyone else's throats. So maybe instead of Jeph deleting the forums, we could all try, myself included, not to be such douchey snarkbags.

I think it will be interesting to have a "jump forward" in time but the problem with that becomes people like me, who do not believe in the whole "QC has only been going for 42 days I can prove it by going strip by strip" and just believe that the story has been progressing naturally, probably not the same amount of time the strip has been going, but suspending my disbelief so that I don't think Hannelore's birthday and the Faye/Sven hookup, which happened almost a year ago in real time, has only been two weeks ago in strip time. With Jeph emphasizing a fast forward, it takes that suspension of disbelief away, for me anyway, so I can't judge how much time has passed up until now. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but for me, the nature of the relationships developed in QC also have a time element -- I think it's important to know 1) the amount of time that passed between strip 1 and strip 500, and 2) the amount of time since Dora and Marten got together, at the very least (I choose those milestones because I think it lets all of the other storylines/relationships/friendships fall into place). I've kinda rambled on here and lost my point, but I think I'm going to wrap up and leave anyway since it's all getting just too tl;dr for me.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #63 on: 05 Jan 2009, 13:59 »

I'm glad you said blue.

If you had said red, I think I'd have to hit you. (The big red one... sure, it's fast, but you wait 2 hours in line (note: it's been a couple years since I've last been to Cedar Point) for 17 seconds.

I've been on it exactly once, and I was like, "that's all? Srsly?"

Then I went and rode Gemini a bunch of times, and had 11tybn times more fun. :lol:

I'm partial to the Green one myself, and also the little blue one that people always forget about.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #64 on: 05 Jan 2009, 15:46 »

I love how people post on the forums to agree with Jeph that the forums should be deleted.
Yes I'm pretty much like "if you want them to go don't post your pointless bullshit, we don't need it." How's that for douchy snarking? lol

That said, this is one of two forums I frequent and the other one has a much friendlier environment, so maybe that's what he hates about it, the fact that everyone jumps down everyone else's throats. So maybe instead of Jeph deleting the forums, we could all try, myself included, not to be such douchey snarkbags.
Well I'm a member of 6 forums (only active on 2 1/2, the 1/2 being here) and I can tell you it's not that bad. Have you been to I Like Hurr? Everyone knows each other so it can be a bit cliquey but not to the point of being completely off-putting like a fucking fish forum I belong to. As for bitchiness I was a member of a martial arts forum whose members pride themselves on being smartarses and didn't stick around because I felt it crossed the line into being completely pointless - a line I think hasn't really been crossed here.

My totally needed 2c.  :-D

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #65 on: 05 Jan 2009, 16:30 »

I think he'll make it past the city limits, and then decide that it was a bad idea.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #66 on: 05 Jan 2009, 16:44 »

I'm partial to the Green one myself, and also the little blue one that people always forget about.

I don't mind the green one... I actually don't think I've ever ridden the little blue one if it's the one I'm thinking of.

I freakin hate the yellow, red, and purple one. And I think every other guy on these forums who's ridden it can agree with me. Especially when it's some chick doing the car loading, because then they jam the seats up hard when they strap you in, not realizing the anatomical issues with doing that.

And, myself, I'm partial to the brown one that's in two parts, and the red one, partially because there's never any lines for them, and partially because they're still tons of fun. ;)
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2009, 16:46 by bhtooefr »

chrisa1

• Plantmonster
« Reply #67 on: 05 Jan 2009, 17:14 »

I love how people post on the forums to agree with Jeph that the forums should be deleted. That said, this is one of two forums I frequent and the other one has a much friendlier environment, so maybe that's what he hates about it, the fact that everyone jumps down everyone else's throats. So maybe instead of Jeph deleting the forums, we could all try, myself included, not to be such douchey snarkbags.

"...douchey snarkbags...?"

What is a snarkbag - wait, I get it, it's a bag of snarks! (?!?!?!)

(Hey, my posting status is now "Emoticontraindication" - only an order of magnitude of postings to go before I get to "Cthulhu"...)
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2009, 17:16 by chrisa1 »

stale

• Emoticontraindication
  • plantmonster
« Reply #68 on: 05 Jan 2009, 17:20 »

I bet Hanners is a closet "Twilight" fan.
wind howls through our new haircuts
the water rushes 'round
forevermore we shall pass along this way

masquerade

« Reply #69 on: 05 Jan 2009, 17:23 »

Cedar Point is about all Ohio has going for it. Ohh, memories of a vacation-found first love... Look, growing up for about five years in Michigan sucks equally. Thank God the rest of my life was spent in Atlanta to even me out... Although I'm back here now because... Well, really, I'm not even sure why. SIGH.

ANYWAY, I laughed aloud at the end of this comic. I agree that it would have been better if I hadn't known that Jeph was furrowing his brow for some way to get rid of the Wil/Penny story arc, but nonetheless, it's hilarious and very fitting. Penny shouting out that she'd wait for him had me cracking up because "Leader of the Pack" started playing in my head.

As to the poster who loves Twilight, please hush. Those books are horrible. HORRIBLE.

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #70 on: 05 Jan 2009, 17:54 »

I enjoy the other webcomic forum I visit because the author seems to actively encourage hatred of his wretchedly awful comic.

As for bitchiness I was a member of a martial arts forum whose members pride themselves on being smartarses and didn't stick around because I felt it crossed the line into being completely pointless - a line I think hasn't really been crossed here.

Wow, that sounds like it would be the world's champion in people trying to win arguments by telling you how totally bad they could kick your ass in real life.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2009, 17:57 by fifthfiend »

plumbob78

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ¡Viva la revolución!
« Reply #71 on: 05 Jan 2009, 17:56 »

out of curiosity, which comic is this?

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #72 on: 05 Jan 2009, 18:34 »

This current strip has been the fun-nest strip i've read for a while =)

GJ Jeph.

lisavilisa

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 05 Jan 2009, 20:20 »

the bitchiest comic forum I've ever been to is the livejournal for Dominic Deegan.
He took the link off his site, but you can find it on google.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*
« Reply #74 on: 05 Jan 2009, 21:40 »

To be perfectly honest, it pisses me off the way he writes characters out of the strip. There's no real grace, no real method, it's just "OH LOL NOW THEY'RE GONE!!1!"

Honestly, the only character I can think of that left QC with any sense of closure was Steve's old girlfriend.

Sorry to bitch, but just saying my opinion.   :|
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Mirandamouse

« Reply #75 on: 05 Jan 2009, 21:54 »

I'm glad you said blue.

If you had said red, I think I'd have to hit you. (The big red one... sure, it's fast, but you wait 2 hours in line (note: it's been a couple years since I've last been to Cedar Point) for 17 seconds.

I've been on it exactly once, and I was like, "that's all? Srsly?"

Then I went and rode Gemini a bunch of times, and had 11tybn times more fun. :lol:

I personally like the blue tower more,
but really, the Power Tower pails in comparison to the Millennium Force. The last time I was there, I rode it at 11 oclock at night, even though the park closed at 9. The line took that long, so anyone that was in line, was allowed to go.
Seriously, middle of the night is the best way to go. ^_^

Top Thrill Dragster's good too, but it's too short. :/

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #76 on: 05 Jan 2009, 22:08 »

Top Thrill Dragster's good too, but it's too short. :/
We waited in line 4 hours one day to ride it the summer it opened because it kept breaking down. We became friends with all the people around us and hung out for the rest of the day. :) It has been a while since I have been to Cedar Point, so I am completely out of the green one (Mantis?)/purple one (Millennium Force?) stuff,  but The Magnum will always hold a special place in my heart. Honestly, it is still loads better than half the newer rides there; never get tired of it.

Cedar Point is about all Ohio has going for it.
Hey now! We have lots going for us. No one else has the Buckeyes. We now have three BCS losses in a row to our name. That takes talent.

Mirandamouse

« Reply #77 on: 05 Jan 2009, 22:26 »

We waited in line 4 hours one day to ride it the summer it opened because it kept breaking down. We became friends with all the people around us and hung out for the rest of the day. :) It has been a while since I have been to Cedar Point, so I am completely out of the green one (Mantis?)/purple one (Millennium Force?) stuff,  but The Magnum will always hold a special place in my heart. Honestly, it is still loads better than half the newer rides there; never get tired of it.
Well, honestly, I just love everything at Cedar Point. It's my favorite amusement park, ever.
Millennium Force = Blue. Green one is the Mantis though.
I like the newish one, the Maverick. It's pretty cool.
One that I like is the Iron Dragon. It's not very exciting, but it's the first ride I ever rode there, and there wasn't a line that day. I love it, just for its firsttimewonder.
Ooh, I like the wicked twister, it's fun.
And I like the skyhawk, and all the classic rides, like, the wooden ones and the not rollercoasters, just barely thrill ride originals.
And MaxAir.

Aw dammit, I just like everything.
Except the Disaster Transport. That one sucks.

ASDFGHJKL; Even though I have more on the Cedar Point subject, I'll stop.

psion

« Reply #78 on: 05 Jan 2009, 22:28 »

To be perfectly honest, it pisses me off the way he writes characters out of the strip. There's no real grace, no real method, it's just "OH LOL NOW THEY'RE GONE!!1!"

Honestly, the only character I can think of that left QC with any sense of closure was Steve's old girlfriend.

Sorry to bitch, but just saying my opinion.   :|

Atleast he isn't writting Wil out the same way Steve left us.  He prolly is dead in his apartment from over-drinking or something like that.  Still kinda miss Steve. 

MrSteevo

• Bros before hoes dawg
« Reply #79 on: 05 Jan 2009, 22:39 »

Umm... For all you people confused why Jeph hates this forum, just look at the Thanksgiving comic.
It's not criticisms, or bitching that he dislikes. It's all the people up in the WCT talking about how they love the characters.
Which are a creation of his mind, so in some creepy way, you love him. Now do you understand the freakiness?
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #80 on: 05 Jan 2009, 22:49 »

How is that freaky?  I write, and I'm thrilled when people love my characters.  It means they're real to people.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

psion

« Reply #81 on: 05 Jan 2009, 22:58 »

I want more people to love my characters.  It would make me feel ALOT better about writing the damn blog to flesh them out.

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #82 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:01 »

How is that freaky?  I write, and I'm thrilled when people love my characters.  It means they're real to people.
I agree. I love it when people talk about my characters because it means that I have written them well and they are something other than just little figures in my imagination.

Shameless self-promotion: Flight, an SVU novel.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #83 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:05 »

I don't think it's the character adoration that gets to him. I think it's when it gets creepy; i.e. shipping, and various "i wanna see x character naked" posts.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #84 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:18 »

Green one is Raptor, not Mantis.

The red/yellow/purple one is Mantis. I hate that coaster. Having your manly bits smashed whenever the coaster experiences positive vertical Gs just isn't fun. :x

I've not been there in a few years, so... I've not ridden Maverick.

Iron Dragon is great for when you've got friends in line for the Dragster, and need to see how much progress they're making (so you know whether to ditch them or not,) because there's almost no line for it, so you can ride frequently, and spy the Dragster line easily. ;)

Disaster Transport... is the only coaster that has resulted in me upchucking. In my defense... I had JUST eaten a ridiculous hamburger, and I had no visual points of reference. :P

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #85 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:24 »

Just a note, has anyone else noticed that Marten's Twitter is now following someone called Dart? I'm not up on a lot of the other artists Jeph pals around with so I don't know if it's anyone in particular. But it seems to be a real person (fairly easy to tell it's not a character anyway), and I can't really find a reason for Marten to be following him...

Sorry to interrupt the coaster discussion. I had some friends break my fear of roller coasters at Six Flags in SoCal this past summer, so this discussion is mouth-watering territory for me  :laugh:
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

twilightneko

« Reply #86 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:36 »

OMG Dora's hair is frickin' Awesome! Dead sexy.
LOL @ the "yellow snow chai"

cwoolard

« Reply #87 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:38 »

That's not Ohio. Ohio doesn't have mountains.

Just sayin'.

RefD

• Larger than most fish
  • A heartfelt, moving tribute to ennui.
« Reply #88 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:39 »

Dora's hair = hotness

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #89 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:41 »

So she's doing natural haircolor now ?

At least partly.

Cant see no end of the story Wil/Pen :-)
Carpe Diem

Tybalt

• Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #90 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:43 »

Well Dora's hair is changed but on a whole nothing much happened.  Faye and Pen are still pretty much the same.

I guess when Jeph says nothing much is happening, it's true.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

Dagdason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #91 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:43 »

Dora's hair = hotness

Second.

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #92 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:47 »

Butcher is full of WIN! The head staples, the maniacal look in his eyes, the tear drop tattoos. Just fantastic!

I love the look in Penelope's eyes. She is just smitten now whereas she was previously just mildly amused by Wil.

I will be first to say that I think Dora's hair looks a little scraggly, but I know I am not very receptive of drastic change. It took me a while to get accustomed to Raven's pink hair, so I am sure this will grow on me too. That said, now that Dora has had a hair change, I expect Raven to have a major one too as we cannot have two characters with the multi-colour thing going. Maybe Dora will get any even cuter do and go all natural?

wings-on-water

« Reply #93 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:47 »

Ahaha, I was prepared for a total wankstorm when I came here re: Dora's hair or change of season or something, but a) I seem to be near the beginning of people's reactions and b) nobody seems to mind so far.

I love Dora's new hair! I think it looks gorgeous and makes her look so much more feminine/less like Marten. That's a fair few months' worth of hair growth, too. Also, the guy picking his teeth with the knife is hilarious looking. I love the eyebrow.

Vhaeraun

« Reply #94 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:48 »

I do agree on the hair thing, after having two different hair colors myself for a while.  Seeing dora as blond'll feel a bit wierd for a few strips, but I like it.

Though, my favorite dora hairstyle has to be that fauxhawk in that one strip.

HappyGrar

• Plantmonster
  • Vulcan Boob Squish'd
« Reply #95 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:48 »

I dunno, I think three blonde main characters will get a little annoying after a bit.

...unless...

HANNERS DYED HER HAIR OH NOES  :-o

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #96 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:50 »

Just... wow. Everything about this comic makes me feel... happy. It's a drastic change, I love Dora's hair, I love the smitten look in Penelope's eyes, and most of all I love the potential of what Jeph can do with this opportunity for the long-term plot.

This is why I hate reading the comic at night. Now I have to wait all the way to day-after-tomorrow to see the next strip. Gah!
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #97 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:51 »

That's not Ohio. Ohio doesn't have mountains.

Just sayin'.

You are correct sir, but as this thread as already established the only thing worth doing in Ohio is Cedar Point, and it's closed during the Winter.

The only 'something' that Wil probably did in Ohio was take a leak in a rest stop on the Ohio Turnpike and keep right on going.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

Masterbainter

• FIGHT YOU
  • those times...
« Reply #98 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:51 »

Dora's hair = hotness

Third, and I have a friend who's hair is exactly like this and it is really hot.
Hey guys let me tell you about my intercourses.

My intercourses, let me tell you about them.

MegaRon

« Reply #99 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:52 »

Not fond of Dora's new hair, but I'll get used to it. Rest of the comic was pretty good.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up