THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:08
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT January 5-9  (Read 83842 times)

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
Re: WCT January 5-9
« Reply #100 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:54 »

Dora's Hair == RoxxoRs
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

RaptorShadow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #101 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:55 »

Am I the only one who thinks Jeph should make a miniseries about Wil's journeys?
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask is an idea, Mr. Creedy. And ideas are bulletproof."

Vhaeraun

« Reply #102 on: 05 Jan 2009, 23:56 »

If all of wil's 'friends' are as colorful, that'd be so awesome.

Casmin

« Reply #103 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:02 »

WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT

Fhqwhgads

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #104 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:04 »

aw man I have been waiting for like, a couple *years* for Dora to finally let her hair go blonde. AWESOME

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #105 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:05 »

We should really get a poll to stop all the "HIAR IS (NOT) TEH SEXKS" posts.

HEY

HEY HEAR THAT MODS

A PRACTICAL USE FOR POLLS.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

BigSol81

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #106 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:06 »

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks Dora's new hair is hot!

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #107 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:08 »

Whoa. Two-tone Dora is totally badass. Hope Marten likes it...

bamf_girl143

« Reply #108 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:19 »

I love how no one has any reaction to Dora's drastic hair change, hah. (At least, yet?)

Oh man, it would be excellent if Marten freaked out on Dora about it in kind, the way she did however many strips ago. "OMG WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME YOU WERE GOING TO CHANGE YOUR HAIR?!?!?!1"

Penny seems to be enjoying Will more from a distance than up close, hah.

Xcarissa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #109 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:21 »

I'm pretty sure everyone in QC-land has noticed Dora's hair growth, as it was a slow process stretching out over several weeks, and everyone's had time to get used to it.

The closest it's gonna get to seeing Marten's reaction to Dora's hair is for someone to bring it up. "Hur hur remember that time I grew out my hair and Marten kept reminding me to re-dye my roots and I kept saying no?"
No.

SciWed

• Not quite a lurker
  • Blarhagharghn.
« Reply #110 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:31 »

Of the previous three posters, only one seems to have a sense of time.
I encourage you to go look at someone else's signature.

TheoGB

• Plantmonster
    • http://www.ishotthedeputy.com
« Reply #111 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:34 »

Is this the biggest leap of time in QC ever? Or certainly since the early early days? You've got to assume there's at least two days or more like a week that's gone by, yeah? I remember someone once worked out the entire chronology (more or less) about a year or two ago!

Exar_Kun

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Me Hawngry!
« Reply #112 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:34 »

Holy Jesus Balls! I never figured that Dora with blondish-black hair would be that... uhh... refreshing!  I really like it for what its worth.

EDIT: For Dora's hair to grow out that long, I would say the leap of time would have to be at least a month (unless she has some kinda freaky gene that made her hair grow super fast). Now all we have to do is wait until Dora decides that she will break the Guiness World Record for hair length.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 00:39 by Exar_Kun »
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

Xcarissa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #113 on: 06 Jan 2009, 00:49 »

Yeah, it's been no less than 3 weeks tops, for her blonde hair to grow to ear-length. We've also seen way bigger jumps than 2 days in QC. I like to guess that whenever there's a jump between two days with no obvious evidence that it's only the next day, it's been a week. Hannelore's hair after she cut it was a good indicator of that theory.
No.

bnt

« Reply #114 on: 06 Jan 2009, 01:13 »

Well, it's now winter, and it wasn't in the previous comic, so I'm seeing that as a literary device. "The season has changed", and that tells us roughly how much time has passed. Also, there's been some hideous environmental catastrophe, so we now have peroxide rain, but Dora keeps forgetting to wear her safety gear.  :|

steveh11

• Plantmonster
    • steveh11's story page
« Reply #115 on: 06 Jan 2009, 01:14 »

I love Dora's new (old? original? just longer, I guess!) hair, but what got me was Penny's face as she was reading Wil's letter.  Superbly drawn, kudos to Jeph.
"Nature always obeys Her own Laws" - Leonardo da Vinci

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #116 on: 06 Jan 2009, 02:09 »

This was a good one, I think, or at least it bodes well for the future.

Alphalpha

« Reply #117 on: 06 Jan 2009, 02:20 »

Am I the only one who thinks Jeph should make a miniseries about Wil's journeys?
That would be SO AWESOME!

I freaked out on first seeing Dora's new hair because I thought she'd dyed it, but then I remembered she was blonde originally and it's just grown out and I calmed down  :-)

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #118 on: 06 Jan 2009, 02:32 »

Wow. When I read the second panel, my first thought was "Who's the chick talking to Faye, and how does she know her?" It was only a few seconds after when I realized that she's Dora...

That said, Dora's new hair is awesome! I think it suits her better than her competely dyed hair!

Also, I wonder how cold it is around there...

djcuddlefish

• Not quite a lurker
  • anybody seen my shoes?
« Reply #119 on: 06 Jan 2009, 02:32 »

dora's hair is ROKKIN my SOKKIN to DOKKEN.

wil is going to be just EATEN ALIVE by those guys once they realize he's a total pansywimp. that'll be a story arc to cover!
nuh hurrr

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #120 on: 06 Jan 2009, 02:59 »

This is SO Battlestar Galactica season 2 episode 19.  :-o

Dokph

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #121 on: 06 Jan 2009, 03:00 »

Whoot! I've been waiting to see Dora as a blonde ever since I found out her true haircolor! That is awesome! And I have a theory Wil is going to turn into agent Bearclaw by the end of this. Whatever. Awesome.

Edit: And also, timeskip!
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 03:07 by Dokph »

sieckanddestroy

• Plantmonster
« Reply #122 on: 06 Jan 2009, 03:18 »

Yeah, it's been no less than 3 weeks tops
o_O
Kovacs pretending to be Rorschach or Rorschach pretending to be me?

Dasota

• Not quite a lurker
  • It's not easy being green and hyped up on crank
« Reply #123 on: 06 Jan 2009, 03:36 »

I dyed my hair black on Halloween.. I haven't dyed it since, I have maybe an inch of growth of new hair. It has been way longer than 3 weeks. more like 3 months, unless she does infact has a weird mutant gene that let's her grow her hair out super fast.

Vouk

« Reply #124 on: 06 Jan 2009, 03:38 »

Holy fuck... this looks aweful! ><

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #125 on: 06 Jan 2009, 04:00 »

I am normally not a fan of blondes, but two-tone is fine.
And longish hair looks good on Dora.
...Poor...poor Wil.
And, I cut my hair really short about two weeks ago (like nearly shaved it,) and it's just now back to a fairly longish length (basically I can chew on the bangs.) So it's not unheard of, but a timeskip or extensions or something would be requi--IT'S A COMIC.
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Dal

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #126 on: 06 Jan 2009, 04:08 »

1311 = Awesomeness included.
"Did you just grab my ass? No? Why not?"

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
« Reply #127 on: 06 Jan 2009, 04:14 »

I do agree on the hair thing, after having two different hair colors myself for a while.  Seeing dora as blond'll feel a bit wierd for a few strips, but I like it.

I've had two different hair colours myself for a while-- brown and gray.

That's not Ohio. Ohio doesn't have mountains.

In our world, yes. In the QC-verse, who knows?

Or maybe Wil just has a lousy sense of direction (I knew I should have made that left turn at Albuquerque!
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

TwistedRemedy

• Emoticontraindication
  • NOOOO
« Reply #128 on: 06 Jan 2009, 04:31 »

Mmm, Dora hair. <3
Take you to the stabbing cabin.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #129 on: 06 Jan 2009, 04:38 »

I dyed my hair black on Halloween.. I haven't dyed it since, I have maybe an inch of growth of new hair. It has been way longer than 3 weeks. more like 3 months, unless she does infact has a weird mutant gene that let's her grow her hair out super fast.

Human hair grows at a rate of one inch every 45-60 days (it grows slightly faster if you cut it, oddly).  While I'm not suggesting Jeph has been scientifically accurate, which would make the jump more like six months, it's definitely meant as an indicator of Long Time Passing.

Re: the closing of the forums thing.  The fastest way to turn an artistic project into shit is to shut out anyone who disagrees with you.  I don't believe Jeph would do that just because he doesn't like being told he's not perfect, but he might do it if he thought intelligent life was extinct here.  I've not been keeping up with forum politics and for the most part I really do not care, but if Jeph closes or personally abandons this forum because he's sick to death of 'shipping, whining and pedantry and QC proceeds to degenerate for lack of constructive criticism, it is your fault and not his.
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #130 on: 06 Jan 2009, 05:08 »

I think Jeph knows that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

Nor that i really think that he really cares. As long as it doesn't affect his drawing schedule of the handling of the merch. he not going to bother.

People been 'shipping for as long as the comic has been around and people who are tightly wound are having problems with it.

As for Dora's hair, because the timeline moved so quick (seeing as how Wil already sending seemingly far away postcards) it makes a bit of sense that dora hair growing out. She looks kinds hot actually with the blond. Question is....can CoD handle 2 blonds???? *highlander music plays*
Help bring back the dragons!

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #131 on: 06 Jan 2009, 05:12 »

I found my internet startup niche: I'll blatantly steal every strip from now on and edit Dora's hair back into black, then publish it on my new site.

Hmm, "Back into Black" is an awesome title for this.
I'll be bought out by Google in no time!

Liked the comic. :3
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #132 on: 06 Jan 2009, 05:20 »

Well, maybe its just a wig :-P
Carpe Diem

IKantSpell

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #133 on: 06 Jan 2009, 05:35 »

Back to the topic of "Why Jeph hates the forums".  Yes I know nobody actually wants to talk about this, but here I go anyway.

I think his main beef is with the various knee-jerk reaction criticisms such as WHAT THE SCROTUM HELL HAPPENED TO HER ASS BALLS HAIR?!?  Not exactly useful "criticism", and I don't blame him for thinking that it's not worth his hosting space to allow people to post garbage like that. 

Although we can also post super cool stuff like this here afro emoticon.   :mrgreen:   Yes.

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #134 on: 06 Jan 2009, 05:48 »

I'll have a nice steaming cup of hypothermia please.

So it's mid winter.  And her hair has grown out to it's natural blonde to a rather remarkable length.  And now I must resist the urge to google the average growth rate of human hair and use that as a guesstimate for the time change.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #135 on: 06 Jan 2009, 05:48 »

wait, I still trying to figure out where Jeph said he hates the forums.

a post?

the-artful-dodger-rodger

• Furry furrier
« Reply #136 on: 06 Jan 2009, 05:59 »

this leap of time reminds of Heroes season two "4 months later".
Do I listen to pop music because I'm miserable or am I miserable because listen to pop music?
- John Cusack

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #137 on: 06 Jan 2009, 06:07 »

Sorry to interrupt the coaster discussion. I had some friends break my fear of roller coasters at Six Flags in SoCal this past summer,

Colossus FTW!!

Revolution FTW!!

Gawd, I miss Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Just... wow. Everything about this comic makes me feel... happy. It's a drastic change, I love Dora's hair, I love the smitten look in Penelope's eyes, and most of all I love the potential of what Jeph can do with this opportunity for the long-term plot.

That, and it starkly contrasts the lack of emotion in Faye's "relationship" with Sven, which is of course the part I like.

Well, it's now winter, and it wasn't in the previous comic, so I'm seeing that as a literary device. "The season has changed", and that tells us roughly how much time has passed. Also, there's been some hideous environmental catastrophe, so we now have peroxide rain, but Dora keeps forgetting to wear her safety gear.

That was mildly funny.

he's sick to death of 'shipping, whining and pedantry and QC proceeds to degenerate for lack of constructive criticism, it is your fault and not his.

Apparently I am unclear as to the reference of 'shipping.  I honestly thought it had something to do with book sales.  Anyone care to send me a PM and explain that with short words and diagrams?  I got the whining and pedantry part...I'm not totally illiterate...just not up on the jargon.

As far as today's comic...

...oh, I can see this ending badly for Wil.  I can see the stroke of evil genius in Jeph that, after a few of these "time-indicator" strips, postcards from Wil, they abruptly stop.

And leave us (and Pen) wondering just what the hell happened to him.

That would be a delightfully evil story arc, and one I think Jeph might enjoy writing, especially if it allows Faye to be snarky and insensitive at Penelope's misery and loss.

I'm kinda hoping that DOESN'T happen, but I won't be surprised if it does.

Either that, or Wil ends up in California and his last postcard is that he's found the love of his life:  A beach bunny who digs motorcycles in Venice and he's never coming back.

That would also be an evil, bittersweet ending.

I liked the strip today;  Didn't make me laugh, but then again, I don't think it was supposed to.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

jimic79

« Reply #138 on: 06 Jan 2009, 06:22 »

I love how Wil got his new friends together for a picture.  And i def want a Fuck Eat Kill shirt...

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #139 on: 06 Jan 2009, 06:39 »

Heh, so it looks like Dora finally chose her way to get back to her natural color. She's good-looking right now (even awesome to me), yet I guess it must have been a bit weird at first, with only the roots being blond. But I wouldn't know that much, since I've never been into dye. I'm kinda curious : how does it work in real life? By wearing a hat for the first few weeks or something?

On a side note, am I the only one to find Dora's face in panel 4 slightly reminiscent of early Hannelore's?
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

Jepser

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #140 on: 06 Jan 2009, 07:32 »

Have been liking the last couple comics. More developments, less small talk!  :evil:
Also I can not understand why Dora did ever feel the urge to dye her hair black.
I wasn't going to d/l any of that, but once I read "oldest lesbian", I kind of had to.

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #141 on: 06 Jan 2009, 07:46 »

Heh, so it looks like Dora finally chose her way to get back to her natural color. She's good-looking right now (even awesome to me), yet I guess it must have been a bit weird at first, with only the roots being blond. But I wouldn't know that much, since I've never been into dye. I'm kinda curious : how does it work in real life? By wearing a hat for the first few weeks or something?

On a side note, am I the only one to find Dora's face in panel 4 slightly reminiscent of early Hannelore's?

damn, she really does look like Hanners there.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #142 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:09 »

I want to see how Faye's igloo looks, with her just sitting there drinking yellow snow chai, and dining on roast walrus.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

danjc2

« Reply #143 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:13 »

having just looked back a bit, we havent actually seen Dora since before christmas. It's quite possible that those comics in between Marten's phone call to his mom and now covered a fair length of time on their own, considering they were fairly self-contained. So really, there could have been a good few months in there over several strips, not just that obvious gap.

DorkRawk

• Not quite a lurker
    • Dinosaurs Eat Everybody
« Reply #144 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:23 »

While aesthetically I prefer Dora's short black hair, I think that the grown out roots are a cool way to show the passage of time (and I'm sure it was fun to draw).  The shock to the audience contrasted with the lack of surprise from characters (due to it's natural growth over the unseen time) is a nice effect. 

I think this was the right way to advance the Will/Pen plot, rather than just moving on to another arch and coming back to this suddenly introduced road trip of a relatively minor character months (real time) later.  Kudos, Jeph, for your excellent synthesis of art and story. 
Mount Saint Awesome - a comic about rock and roll and everything else
The American Autumn (my band)
Dinosaurs Eat Everybody

Jepser

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #145 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:27 »

I want to see how Faye's igloo looks, with her just sitting there drinking yellow snow chai, and dining on roast walrus.
Yellow snow chai does not sound like something you'd want to drink. o_O
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 08:51 by Jepser »
I wasn't going to d/l any of that, but once I read "oldest lesbian", I kind of had to.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #146 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:35 »

Nice time-jump there.   Also like the change to the characters.    Thumbs up!

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #147 on: 06 Jan 2009, 08:48 »

lol, wonder how the rest of the QC universe reacted to the time shift?

Maybe Nat finally learned how to play a guitar. Ha! Fat chance of that happening.

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #148 on: 06 Jan 2009, 09:15 »

I'm guessing the comic jumped 6-8 weeks. It's nice to see something other than summer weather for a change.

Also, I wonder how cold it is around there...

It's been in the 30s for a while now. A couple weeks ago we almost saw 60.

lisavilisa

• Plantmonster
« Reply #149 on: 06 Jan 2009, 09:36 »

So I'm out of the loop, when did Jeph say he might get rid of theforums?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up