THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT January 5-9  (Read 83864 times)

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
Re: WCT January 5-9
« Reply #150 on: 06 Jan 2009, 09:46 »

I don't think he will. In email reference in the newspost I think there are people who email him when they don't like changes.

The forums keep the interest in the comics alive. otherwise its becomes a dead experience like sinfest. I love sinfest, but interaction is none existent.
Help bring back the dragons!

Shok Xone Studios

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #151 on: 06 Jan 2009, 09:48 »

LOST-style flash-forward! Season change! Hair change! Oh, the drama!

What's happened in between now and the last comic?
WHAT'S HAPPENED BETWEEN NOW AND THE LAST COMIIIIIIIIIIC!?!

*takes breath* That good? Not too over-the-top?
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 09:52 by Shok Xone Studios »
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #152 on: 06 Jan 2009, 09:49 »

It's been in the 30s for a while now. A couple weeks ago we almost saw 60.

Hm, that'd be (*uses Google*) -15 degrees Celsius, the latter one. Nice. I like it when it's cold.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 09:51 by Thaes »

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #153 on: 06 Jan 2009, 10:00 »

I'm guessing the comic jumped 6-8 weeks. It's nice to see something other than summer weather for a change.

Damn. Now I have to look it up.   It looks like the average growth rate for human hair is about half an inch per month.  Here's the last comic with Dora (not counting the Christmas Cheesecake)

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1302

And then todays:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1311

It's been rather more than 6-8 weeks.

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #154 on: 06 Jan 2009, 11:22 »

Apparently I am unclear as to the reference of 'shipping.  I honestly thought it had something to do with book sales.  Anyone care to send me a PM and explain that with short words and diagrams? 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shipping

HTH, HAND.

@BryanP: Why did you need to look up the rate of hair growth?  I'd already supplied it in this thread.  (See also my comments there on actual passage of strip time.)
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #155 on: 06 Jan 2009, 11:23 »

In email reference in the newspost I think there are people who email him when they don't like changes.

He also made a joke on Twitter about nuking the WCT as his Christmas present to himself.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #156 on: 06 Jan 2009, 11:34 »

Stop saying Dora dyed her hair...

She didn't.

jasononline

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #157 on: 06 Jan 2009, 11:44 »

Stop saying Dora dyed her hair...

She didn't.

People are referring to her dying her hair black, which she did, since she is naturally a blond.  I haven't seen anyone say she dyed her hair blond other than the person who made the peroxide rain joke.

BjornTheDim

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #158 on: 06 Jan 2009, 12:14 »

And here, all I can think is that Faye obviously has no idea how to deal with the cold.  Okay, so she's got the ugly hat with the earmuffs, a decent scarf, and she ruins it all with......... a hoodie.

Hah, hah, no.  The protection that those things give is just slightly above nil.

Can't help but love Butcher's teardrop tattoos, btw.

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #159 on: 06 Jan 2009, 12:15 »

I guess I was mistaken.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #160 on: 06 Jan 2009, 12:17 »

Not like my opinion matters but I honestly think it looks kinda hot. Dare i say Ashlee Simpson? oops too late urghh
*was getting tired of that slug*

Heranje

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #161 on: 06 Jan 2009, 12:52 »

Dora's hair: awesome. (it looks cool! It'll be weird to see her completely blonde, though...)
Penny fawning over Wil: awesome. (so cuute!)
Time jump: awesome. (yay stuff will happen!)
Wil's "friends": awesome. (I love Butcher xD)
General comic verdict: Awesome!

But - Wil signs his letters "XOXO"? How unpoetic!

imaginaryideals

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #162 on: 06 Jan 2009, 13:17 »

Hm, the only thing I would say is.. Dora seems like the kind of person who would dye her hair back to blond first rather than letting it grow out like that >< but then we wouldn't get to see jeph's awesome drawin skillz.

redd1

« Reply #163 on: 06 Jan 2009, 14:45 »

was rather looking forward to seeing dora with long hair.......of course i had envisioned it looking a whole lot less shabooza's weavetasic emporium and more you know.....sexy and put together

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #164 on: 06 Jan 2009, 14:54 »

@BryanP: Why did you need to look up the rate of hair growth?  I'd already supplied it in this thread.  (See also my comments there on actual passage of strip time.)

Because I missed your comment(s).  That sort of thing goes along with browsing while I'm trying to work.

fangsanalsatan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #165 on: 06 Jan 2009, 15:30 »

aaah, fresh meat!

is that pudge the butcher?

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #166 on: 06 Jan 2009, 15:55 »

Questions based on events that we don't actually know happened:

-Will Faye try to get Marten back with Dora, or will she try to take him herself?
-No matter how much it looks like they get along famously, won't Hannelore get tired of the whole les thing and dump Tai for a fireman?
-Why is Raven now working in a secret Navy shipyard in San Diego? And what is her Elo rating, anyway?
-Now that Natasha is showering, will Sven and Amir come to blows?
-So did Steve and Sarah really run off to start an Allosaurus farm, or was Meena just lying to cover up her unauthorized use of the Hampshire County ME's incinerator?
-Is there a term even more off the wall than "wild-assed guess" for this post?
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 16:01 by haikupoet »

Aegir

« Reply #167 on: 06 Jan 2009, 16:50 »

Yesterday's comic was really really funny, especially because I'm currently reading On the Road, which I borrowed from my friend who's obsessed with On the Road and Kerouac in general and talks about it frequently.

I knew Jeph was going to change the season, but I didn't think he was actually going to jump the comic months into the future. Of course, now he might have to draw snow for like three years. I'd imagine someone would tire of that more easily than drawing generic timeless springtime weather.

When I first saw Dora I was like "Who the fuck is that?" I honestly thought it was a new character at first.

What's interesting is that two comics ago, Marten said he was having problems with Dora. They might've broken up by now. Who knows what could've happened in the time in between yesterday's comic and today's?

Conco

« Reply #168 on: 06 Jan 2009, 17:06 »

comic seems to have taken a turn for the better

keep it going jeph...

Vhaeraun

« Reply #169 on: 06 Jan 2009, 17:09 »

What's interesting is that two comics ago, Marten said he was having problems with Dora. They might've broken up by now. Who knows what could've happened in the time in between yesterday's comic and today's?
He also said in the last panel that things were great and he felt bad about asking about Sven.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #170 on: 06 Jan 2009, 17:37 »

Hmmmmm

Are we about to see a QC based episode of Without A Trace  here?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #171 on: 06 Jan 2009, 17:49 »

Characters not being instantly recognisable after taking a break from the spotlight seems to be a recurring thing here. It's a really tricky thing to get right when you have characters without super-exaggerated features and an art style that tends to shift over time.

I can't imagine we'll actually see the results of events that have occured in the time that's passed. I think in reality it's more of a reason to give Dora a new haircut  :wink: but here's hoping!
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 17:51 by SuperSUGA »

MrMonk

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #172 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:16 »

On a side note, am I the only one to find Dora's face in panel 4 slightly reminiscent of early Hannelore's?

damn, she really does look like Hanners there.

She's also thinking about getting green contact lenses.
If you don't hear from me again, expect the worse.  Long live the Batman.

Lolli

« Reply #173 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:23 »

Having had Dora's haircut before, and having hair that grows like a maniac, it still took me at least (read: AT LEAST!) six months to grow it to that length.

I don't know if Jeph gives a shit about that or if he just wanted to give Dora a new haircut.

I don't care. All I know is the shit is butt ugly. Sorry. (Hey, this isn't an email, whatever.)

DinosGoLauRAWR

• Not quite a lurker
  • Tigers also go LauRAWR ☆
    • My art
« Reply #174 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:33 »

Lolli I was about to say the exact same thing.. why does no one know how fast hair grows?  However my hair is two tone in a similar way with the exception of that mine was bleached so I do not agree that it is butt ugly.
"the answer to #4 is A GOOD DICKIN TO THE FACE!!!!!!!"
http://nowherexbutxhere.deviantart.com/

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #175 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:41 »

Yeah grownout blondeness + huge chunky black ends just like, ain't flattering. The blonde ain't far from where she had it in the black, girl needs to cut that.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 18:43 by fifthfiend »

Fenriswolf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #176 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:48 »

Well I'm just going to ignore the discussion about hair and time and blah de blah and just reply to my reply to a reply a few pages back:

As for bitchiness I was a member of a martial arts forum whose members pride themselves on being smartarses and didn't stick around because I felt it crossed the line into being completely pointless - a line I think hasn't really been crossed here.

Wow, that sounds like it would be the world's champion in people trying to win arguments by telling you how totally bad they could kick your ass in real life.
Not quite! Because it's a forum that prides itself in not being all about "my martial art is better than yours" and internet posturing. Instead they've replaced it with a lot of idiots trying to be clever. *sigh* Like 25% of the people are highly amusing, the rest pretty much ruin it.

Plus! You have to pay for an avatar! Avatars are an important part of a forum!

Shawn

• Plantmonster
  • Simple to the point of complication.
    • Twitter
« Reply #177 on: 06 Jan 2009, 18:57 »

Dora will probably cut the black ends off in a few strips, but I'm sure Jeph didn't want us to go into total shock from seeing a fully-blond Dora straight away. Give things time - he knows what he's doing :)
Said with a healthy dose of insanity.

redd1

« Reply #178 on: 06 Jan 2009, 20:08 »

then how is she going to have long hair if she cuts it off??

Lolli

« Reply #179 on: 06 Jan 2009, 20:09 »

Boy, I hope so. My biggest problem isn't the color, it's how damn scraggly it is.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 20:12 by Lolli »

orimazd

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #180 on: 06 Jan 2009, 20:11 »

And here, all I can think is that Faye obviously has no idea how to deal with the cold.  Okay, so she's got the ugly hat with the earmuffs, a decent scarf, and she ruins it all with......... a hoodie.
Being from Georgia, I feel her pain completely.  It never snows here.  NEVER  :-(

I read this comic every day, and Jeph never disappoints.  Still hasn't.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #181 on: 06 Jan 2009, 20:24 »

I'm surprised that people didn't recognize Dora.  When she appeared my first thought was "wow, she has new hair and she still lookes like herself.  Way to go, Jeph."

I also love Penelope's Letter Reading Face.

I love Wil's friends.  They should come back home with him.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

masquerade

« Reply #182 on: 06 Jan 2009, 20:30 »

LOL at Faye, she's me in comic form this winter... I moved to Michigan from Atlanta. Don't ask me why, because frankly, I don't know and thinking about it makes me crabby and cold. I literally have a space heater two feet from my body right now. DYING.

As to Dora's hair, she'll be cute once she goes fully blonde and gets rid of the black ends. The ends look like they're fried from all the processing it takes to keep it that deep a black. Poor thing. Yay healthy, natural haircolor! <preens in never-been-dyed smugness>

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #183 on: 06 Jan 2009, 20:34 »

I'm surprised that no one's all "OMG HANNERS MIGHT HAVE LONG HAIR TOO", considering all of her fans here. Maybe no one else thought of it yet.

dissolver

« Reply #184 on: 06 Jan 2009, 20:42 »

6-8 weeks? Uh, no.

I have pretty fast-growing hair, and after 3 months my roots are maybe halfway to where Dora's are.

I'm glad he jumped this far, though, rather than to the awkward phase where that would've looked like a skunk stripe.

burtonlang

« Reply #185 on: 06 Jan 2009, 21:00 »

I'm really loving this comic, and I'm surprised at how big a jump in time this comic just took.

Also, as a noob to the forum, I'm really amazed at the kind of conversation that goes on here (at least from what I've seen). I guess I've always taken the intelligent discussions at the forums for XKCD, Rice Boy/Order of Tales, and Dresden Codak. I guess this comic just draws in a different kind of audience. I guess I'm mostly shocked because of the long periods of time I've spent on the Octagon lately.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #186 on: 06 Jan 2009, 21:02 »

Dora's hair hit me like a punch to the face, except without the bleeding and with a postive reaction instead.

AND THIS WIL RITE OF PASSAGE IS AN AWESOME STORY ARC RIGHT NOW
KEEP UP THE PUNCHLINES WE LOVE THEM =3

bgugi

« Reply #187 on: 06 Jan 2009, 21:36 »

great comic... i lol'd at the first panel... then was all like "oohh... pretty hair" at the second...

GOOD WORKS

WestEnder67

« Reply #188 on: 06 Jan 2009, 21:50 »

Pretty good comic Tuesday.

Had to think who the one with blonde/black hair was for a minute. Initially thought it was Raven for some reason...

Don't think we'll be seeing Wil again. Unless a body part washes up in one of the Cave of Forty Asses' toilets.

the_shankmaster

• Sweet Niblets
« Reply #189 on: 06 Jan 2009, 22:27 »

Am I the only one who thinks Wil can handle those guys?  They'll be all pissed off and ready to tear him apart and will Wil say "y-you know, I find that poetry helps me to deal with my emotions."  Next thing you know, Tough Guy Poetry Corner.  Snap your fingers, or I'll snap your neck.
-I thought you said you put the "tennis" in "Tennessee!"
-I guess I kind of left it there.

Obaten

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://halomapscouk.proboards50.com/
« Reply #190 on: 06 Jan 2009, 22:46 »

Imagining a computer speaking like the guvuhnator made me laugh really hard
Be nice to the newbie?

Dagdason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #191 on: 06 Jan 2009, 22:56 »

LOL for Total Recall references.

djcuddlefish

• Not quite a lurker
  • anybody seen my shoes?
« Reply #192 on: 06 Jan 2009, 23:04 »

my dear god is Marten wearing a Fennesz T shirt??  that's pushing his indy rockerness a bit far ainnit? not that I am not pleased as punch... fennesz is amazing. just really suprised that marten would be wearing his shirt is all...

still though... props on bringing up fennesz! maybe a bit of tim hecker will be around next?

peace and love!

nuh hurrr

Exar_Kun

• Me Hawngry!
« Reply #193 on: 06 Jan 2009, 23:18 »

Dude, that was the best movie reference since the one with Beyond Thunderdome. Total Recall... man, what a kick-ass movie that was, oh the memories.

*will probably be renting Total Recall tomorrow*

EDIT: On second time I looked at the last panel I got the reference to the mutant with the face growing out of him. When I realized it I actually and truly lol'ed uncontrollably. This one is my new favorite strip.  Very good job Jeph.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2009, 23:24 by Exar_Kun »
Red Two: Look at the *size* of that thing!
Red Leader: Cut the chatter Red Two, accelerate to attack speed!

djcuddlefish

• Not quite a lurker
  • anybody seen my shoes?
« Reply #194 on: 06 Jan 2009, 23:20 »

and also I think that dora dyed her roots out blonde so as she could return to her natural color with a beautiful period of contrast and bicolor in betweentimes.

I am still in full approval of her current bicolor state of ah-hairs.
nuh hurrr

HappyGrar

• Plantmonster
  • Vulcan Boob Squish'd
« Reply #195 on: 06 Jan 2009, 23:38 »

Correct me if I'm seeing things...but does Marten's lower half look kind of girlish in panel 2? I dunno, that's just the impression I get...

Tybalt

• Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #196 on: 06 Jan 2009, 23:48 »

and also I think that dora dyed her roots out blonde so as she could return to her natural color with a beautiful period of contrast and bicolor in betweentimes.

I am still in full approval of her current bicolor state of ah-hairs.
Oh yeah, why doesn't Dora just dye her hair to a similar tone to her own?  No shaved heads or unpreferred bi-color hair.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

burtonlang

« Reply #197 on: 07 Jan 2009, 00:35 »

Hehe! Jeph tweeter about having heard Fennesz's Endless Summer, and then gives Marten a Fennesz shirt. That was cool.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #198 on: 07 Jan 2009, 00:56 »

Correct me if I'm seeing things...but does Marten's lower half look kind of girlish in panel 2? I dunno, that's just the impression I get...

Now that you mention it, I completely agree with you, good sir. That is one fascinatingly girlish lower half.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #199 on: 07 Jan 2009, 01:32 »

I like Dora's hair...at first I was like, "who is that??" but then I recognized her. I love the time jump in this comic. 1 day can go on for weeks, or 6 months can pass in between 1 comic.

Keeps things interesting :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up