THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT January 5-9  (Read 84228 times)

JReynolds

• Larger than most fish
  • We thought you was a toad!
Re: WCT January 5-9
« Reply #300 on: 08 Jan 2009, 13:37 »

Hey Persona,

A word to the wise: Jeph doesn't like images in sigs.

Hope you enjoy the forums.
When folly and lies are sown broadcast, one necessarily reaps insanity.  --Zola

Persona

« Reply #301 on: 08 Jan 2009, 13:41 »

Her hair looks cute, but it seems like Dora's has grown more.

Yeah... but that's the magic of webcomics, and comics in general: hair growth can happen fairly instantaneous!

@JReynolds: Yeah, I got the memo. My bad. Skipped right over that part in the rules apparently. Fixed it now though.

Blackcat Moebius

• Plantmonster
  • No mushrooms.
« Reply #302 on: 08 Jan 2009, 14:21 »

I also took it as a TMBG reference. Admittedly I am a bit behind on my Pratchett. Damn my social life, it interferes with my reading. Sex or books, a choice had to be made....

If memory serves, the use of the phrase in Sir Terry's work was indeed inspired by They Might Be Giants lyrics.
*goes link-hunting*
Aha! Here we go. (scroll down to the p. 324/233 ref.)

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #303 on: 08 Jan 2009, 14:40 »

Oh man Jeph, I don't know what about your comics did it, but we are getting newbs by the hordeful.

And they're not reading the THREAD!!!!  :x *shakes fist*

Well I do, but have not the slightest idea why. Geez, people.
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

sudamerican

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Thinks the WCT is tl;dr
« Reply #304 on: 08 Jan 2009, 15:06 »

no time to read all this crap, as usual

fanservice wooo.
and he's totally groping her. bastard. i'm gonna break his indie physique with my FISTS OF METAL. additionally i could just press him against a wall using my beer belly.
five million tons of TNT in the cunt

Somethingfake

• Emoticontraindication
  • I want to inherit your eyebrows...
    • http://somethingfake.deviantart.com/
« Reply #305 on: 08 Jan 2009, 15:59 »

The latest strip is almost panel-for-panel a page out of my sophomore year at college. Minus the Winslow and insert a pizza. However, I'm not as indie-jacked as Marten, so, it wasn't that big a deal to hold both, just awkward. Had to scoop my friend up and over my shoulder, kick open the door, and maneuver the pizza in. Fun times.

And Jeph's art just keeps getting better and better.  :-D

Is that a JoCo song lyric under your avatar my good sir?

Anyway, next comic would probably just be Marten talking to Dora/Faye about what happened. Maybe at a hospital?
Quote from: Jeph
Snoopy lives in a fantasy world. Gromit is a dog who gets things done. Gromit would destroy Snoopy.

SexRaptor

« Reply #306 on: 08 Jan 2009, 16:07 »

I kept expecting some kind of acknowledgment of Dora's hair in that first comic - I thought i must have missed it entirely - a whole comic where it was addressed.

It's turning my world upside down.

Also, i'm not sure what it is, but I wanna do thing to Hanners in this comic.

ac7ss

« Reply #307 on: 08 Jan 2009, 17:46 »

Hannelore is not how i would have  imagined "Foul Ol Ron" would look.

NightOfTheLepus

• Not quite a lurker
  • How many eyes does horror have?
« Reply #308 on: 08 Jan 2009, 17:53 »

i like the fact that the story arc has shifted over the last two comics.....  a new year, time moved forward quite a bit, glad to get rest from the FayeSvenDoraMarten stuff.

and yeh the last 3 comics were really well drawn; love the "postcard" insert in the final panel of this one http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1311   nice use of perspective in panel three here http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1312   and great figure drawing in panels three and four of the latest one (yes Hannelore is way cute).

nice work Jeph  :)

DinosGoLauRAWR

• Not quite a lurker
  • Tigers also go LauRAWR ☆
    • My art
« Reply #309 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:13 »

I'm so glad hanners is not real and not able to read these forums. She'd probably have a nervous breakdown.
"the answer to #4 is A GOOD DICKIN TO THE FACE!!!!!!!"
http://nowherexbutxhere.deviantart.com/

Mabus_Zero

• Plantmonster
  • A Monk/Mr. Clean Hybrid
« Reply #310 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:17 »

So Hannelore is a lush now? This is a most peculiar and excellent development.
'One guard tells only the truth, one only tells lies, and the other stabs people that ask tricky questions.'

DinosGoLauRAWR

• Not quite a lurker
  • Tigers also go LauRAWR ☆
    • My art
« Reply #311 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:20 »

Shes actually sick not drunk. It says so on her twitter like many others have stated before me.
"the answer to #4 is A GOOD DICKIN TO THE FACE!!!!!!!"
http://nowherexbutxhere.deviantart.com/

Mabus_Zero

• Plantmonster
  • A Monk/Mr. Clean Hybrid
« Reply #312 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:27 »

Shes actually sick not drunk. It says so on her twitter like many others have stated before me.

I apologize. I stopped trying to access the twitter when the 5000 other people trying to access it simultaneously clogged up the tubes.
'One guard tells only the truth, one only tells lies, and the other stabs people that ask tricky questions.'

reader

« Reply #313 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:32 »

bugrit, bugrit, bugr'm millenium hand and shrimp

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #314 on: 08 Jan 2009, 19:49 »

Enough of the right medicine can "drunken" anyone.

I am very new to QC and this forum, but I am not sure if I should be amazed or horrified by the number of people who want Hannelore, biblically speaking. Maybe it is just because I am a girl, but I always saw her as the kind of person you would just want to hug and to tell "it'll be okay." Well, maybe not hug, but at least get her some Mr. Clean wipes as a birthday gift or something and help her count the ripples in each wipe...

Drunken: (verb/past participle of "drunk") to enable an entity to become intoxicated. Sure, 'intoxicate" would have been been the better word, but making up stuff is far more fun.

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #315 on: 08 Jan 2009, 20:09 »

Many of us love Hanners.

Some of us are a little more lascivious about it than others.

Me, I just wanna cuddle her.  But if she gets frisky, the only reason I'd kick her out of bed is because her floor is cleaner.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!
« Reply #316 on: 08 Jan 2009, 20:10 »

In Soviet Russia, OCD girl gropes little indie man!
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!
« Reply #317 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:03 »

Doubtless repeating what many others have already said, I find Hanners more visually appealing in this strip than any other I've seen her in. And that troubles me profoundly.

I do hope that Ron's smell isn't guesting along with his phrase. Otherwise Marten's gonna pass out, too.

GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #318 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:12 »

I'm so glad hanners is not real and not able to read these forums. She'd probably have a nervous breakdown.

If you remember right, Hanners came onto the WCT around the time of the "poop fetish" sub-plot.
Poor thing left very quickly after that.

melmenetkwe

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #319 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:18 »

delete
« Last Edit: 06 May 2017, 13:26 by melmenetkwe »

Felrender

• Curry sauce
  • Hi there!
« Reply #320 on: 08 Jan 2009, 21:58 »

... you know that is the first mentionings of someone saying that someone or themselves are indie... which I don't think has been done since the very early days... I like it... :-)

ex.:
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=9

... there's one where Martin and Sven, I think, start talking about the concerts they've been to etc, but I can't find it, nor do I remember the exact number or title.... :S

Man.  There are probably folks who have been drawing just as long as Jeph, who still draw like that, or worse. (Looking at you, devArt.)

No offense to the man's early work, but there has been a vast improvement.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #321 on: 08 Jan 2009, 22:21 »

OMG! How is Hanners gonna recover? Not from her illness, but from the realization that Marten had to manhandle her back into her own apartment. I predict a predictable putting-the-unconscious-girl-to-bed-should-I-disrobe-her scene coming up in Mahten's immediate future.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Saral

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #322 on: 08 Jan 2009, 22:33 »

As long as Hanner's doesn't wake up while being manhandled and thus think GROSS she'll probably be okay. Here OCD makes relationships awkward, but she did seem to be attracted to Marten when first introduced. Somewaht in a stalkerish way, but that turned out we think to be a manifestation of her OCD.

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #323 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:16 »

..counting snowflakes?

Really?

Tone it down Jeph, this level of OCD is seriously implausible for someone not in a mental hospital.  Hell, implausible for anyone, really.

On another note, Marten looks really broad-shouldered in panel 1.  Good if that's going to be permanent, but it looks a little awkward.
...and that's why I eat bugs.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #324 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:17 »

Why am I not surprised that Dora didn't have a problem with it? :lol:

Oh, and I seriously have to get used to Dora's new hair. This is going to take a while, mind you.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2009, 23:19 by bhtooefr »

fifthfiend

• Larger than most fish
  • Huffalump
« Reply #325 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:19 »

Dora looks like she has a mullet

why does dora look like she has a mullet

:-(

Twelvth

« Reply #326 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:26 »

I see no problem with hanna counting snowflakes.  I attempt to count snowflakes at times.  But I have not nearly enough the patience or dedication for it, thus I fail miserably.

of course, I am also not OCD.  That may be a factor.

Dagdason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #327 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:28 »

Yellow Snow Chai Tea. :lol:

appleshampooid

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #328 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:38 »

I love Dora's laid-back attitude on sexuality.  Remember when she flashed Marten?  Good times...

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #329 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:39 »

Man, "laid-back attitude on sexuality" is pretty much the most accurate full description of Dora that I can imagine.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Jeff7

• Furry furrier
« Reply #330 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:52 »

Damn you, Marten. Damn you.

Only another boob-flash from Dora could cure this.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #331 on: 08 Jan 2009, 23:55 »

Marten will burn in hell ! :evil:

:roll: :laugh:

Seriously, today Marten and Dora seem to have switched roles. Today Marten is the over-sensitive one.

Why am I not surprised that Dora didn't have a problem with it? :lol:
Err .. because her boyfriend immediately ran to her and confessed, totally guiltfull ? And its just seeing a single breast of another woman, for a short moment, mostly by accident. I doubt many women will have a problem with that. And I really wouldnt want a girlfriend who had.
Carpe Diem

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #332 on: 09 Jan 2009, 00:11 »

I am very new to QC and this forum, but I am not sure if I should be amazed or horrified by the number of people who want Hannelore, biblically speaking. Maybe it is just because I am a girl, but I always saw her as the kind of person you would just want to hug and to tell "it'll be okay." Well, maybe not hug, but at least get her some Mr. Clean wipes as a birthday gift or something and help her count the ripples in each wipe...
Well, she's kind of the climax of the "cute girl" type, and a very funny and interesting person on top of that. That she is unable to be a girlfriend as such, even unable to be hugged, only makes her even cuter.

And while you complain about what girls we get attracted to, I got a TON of questions what the heck you girls like about certain men. Almost every thread of women showing men they like freaked me out. Women have really, really weird ideas about what kind of men they like. The nice guy type I would choose for my sister isnt exactly popular amongst those.
Carpe Diem

ViridianStar

• Not quite a lurker
  • :)
« Reply #333 on: 09 Jan 2009, 00:18 »

Aw, today was really sweet. Guys like Marten should NEVER be allowed to be single <3
Also, on the taking advantage of Hanners front, I don't think I'd be able to resist.. She's really cute :)

And Tybalt, SirJuggers, some of us have been reading/lurking. I like to think I'm a courteous Noob.. Please don't judge us all as idiotic. I joined to discuss the comic with fellow fans, not to be apprehended for being new.
It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
                          Sometimes the best fun looks like boredom.

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #334 on: 09 Jan 2009, 00:33 »

SirJuggers? I like that... has a certain ring to it... But thanks Viridian. We try to judge by the quality of the post, not the postcount. But all too often it doesn't matter which you look at first, you reach the same conclusion. We appreciate those like you who actually lurk around. I know my own measly double-digit postcount doesn't exactly shine compared to a lot of this forum's numbers, but it's the thought that counts.

And I am now going to go find your Hi I'm New thread. And there had better be one  :x

(kidding on the seriousness there. Totally kidding)
I still prefer to think of rugby in a more friendly way: Everyone tries to hug the guy with the ball. The team with the most hugs at the end of the game wins. Extra points for group hugs.

Shadowood

« Reply #335 on: 09 Jan 2009, 00:56 »

The art in the past few days has been amazing, even compared to the already-amazing artwork earlier. I'm not sure what Jeph's been doing differently (the faces are striking me as rounder and shorter, but I'm not exactly sure), but I like it.

I'm not sure - do I count as a newb if I've been here for at least a year or so (in my recollection, at least), but rarely post? =b

SirJuggles

• The Tickler
  • Squalor Victoria
« Reply #336 on: 09 Jan 2009, 01:05 »

That's exactly what I meant. Postcounts tend to be lower in the WCT than in the rest of the forums because we don't seem to get involved in the same sort of running conversations that other parts of the forum occasionally do. That, and a great many people post ONLY in the WCT, which greatly limits the window. So no, as long as you've been around for a while and most importantly know what you're talking about, you're no newb.

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #337 on: 09 Jan 2009, 02:12 »

Dora looks like she has a mullet

why does dora look like she has a mullet

Her hair must grow similarly to mine, which (if allowed to grow long enough) looks kinda like it was a mullet, as well.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #338 on: 09 Jan 2009, 02:17 »

The art in the past few days has been amazing, even compared to the already-amazing artwork earlier. [...]
Now that you talk about it ... true. Guess the next step has to be going all Royo (or how this fantasy painter with the many nude women was called again). There is just no way to improve anymore with classical comic style alone !
Carpe Diem

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #339 on: 09 Jan 2009, 02:22 »

That's exactly what I meant. Postcounts tend to be lower in the WCT than in the rest of the forums because we don't seem to get involved in the same sort of running conversations that other parts of the forum occasionally do.
I'm no fan of displayed postcounts on forums anyway. No pros I can think of, lots of cons.

on topic: scary shrinked-iris-Dora is scary, while wimpy Marten is wimpy.
Out of context I'd describe the look in her eyes in the second last panel as maniacal °_°
go ahead, over analytical folks, look for more signs that indicate Dora fighting an outburst of irrational jealousy
"No problem, honey, ha ha ha" |-D *tremble*
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2009, 02:26 by Headwoünd »
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

SuperSUGA

• Emoticontraindication
  • Blew out the Candles!
« Reply #340 on: 09 Jan 2009, 02:30 »

I have a theory that out of a female cast in a film/TVshow/comic a certain type of geek male will become attracted to the most socially inept or mentally unstable. See the huge following for River in Firefly, who spends most of the series in various states of breakdown.

Ghanima Atreides

« Reply #341 on: 09 Jan 2009, 03:24 »

My boyfriend once saw one of my friends entirely naked (long story involving sleepovers and alcohol, she still doesn't know to this day). My reaction was somewhat similar to Dora's, the first question I asked was "So? What did she look like naked then?" Basically we got a good laugh out of it.

Marten's reaction is exactly what I would've expected from him, heh.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.

TheReaper

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #342 on: 09 Jan 2009, 04:02 »

..counting snowflakes?

Really?

Tone it down Jeph, this level of OCD is seriously implausible for someone not in a mental hospital.  Hell, implausible for anyone, really.

On another note, Marten looks really broad-shouldered in panel 1.  Good if that's going to be permanent, but it looks a little awkward.

Little. Talking. Robots.

EDIT: Also, I know I sound like a broken record, but the art is really, really good lately. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it just clicks wonderfully.
Also...
"See the huge following for River in Firefly, who spends most of the series in various states of breakdown."
That could be contributed to the fact that she was A: Not a prostitute, B: Not married, and C: Played by Summer Glau. (That last part is like 95% of the reason, though.)
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2009, 04:04 by TheReaper »
Good things are fleeting. The bad ones are usually here to stay.

Angafirith

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #343 on: 09 Jan 2009, 05:13 »

Is it just me or does Dora have a sort of excited look in that second-to-last panel?

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #344 on: 09 Jan 2009, 05:31 »

lol, inevitable next question by Dora,"Martin, did you motorboat them?"
Help bring back the dragons!

ViridianStar

• Not quite a lurker
  • :)
« Reply #345 on: 09 Jan 2009, 07:47 »

SirJuggers?
Ouch, sorry >__< I posted that at around 7am where I am.
And thanks for being understanding, anyway ^^

Also, there's mostly been negative comments about Dora having two-tone hair -  I quite like it.
It is such a secret place, the land of tears.
                          Sometimes the best fun looks like boredom.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #346 on: 09 Jan 2009, 08:31 »

... you know that is the first mentionings of someone saying that someone or themselves are indie... which I don't think has been done since the very early days... I like it... :-)

ex.:
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=9

... there's one where Martin and Sven, I think, start talking about the concerts they've been to etc, but I can't find it, nor do I remember the exact number or title.... :S

Sven And Marten Compare Concerts
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Shok Xone Studios

• Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #347 on: 09 Jan 2009, 09:14 »

Dora looks great in this comic; I especially like her facial expressions. At first glance I thought she was copy & pasted in the last two panels, but then I spotted all the tiny little differences that shows they were drawn separately. So congrats, Jeph, you are a far more patient artist than I am.

Oh, and here's my ten bucks. *lost the bet from yesterday*
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #348 on: 09 Jan 2009, 09:17 »

See the huge following for River in Firefly, who spends most of the series in various states of breakdown.

I suspect I already mentioned that for a certain portion of geekdom, "stickin it in the crazy" is a rather common hobby.

Imagine how disappointed those geeks would be if they actually MET Summer Glau and realized she was neither crazy NOR socially inept.

Oooh.  Awkward.

About today's comic...

Dammit, Jeph...take a great story arc, with incredible potential for drama...

...and it all occurs inside Marten's head.

What's sad is that is pretty much the most believable outcome, once you erase all the fantasies expressed by the fan base here.

"I saw Hanners' TITS!  I AM A BAD PERSON WAAAAAH!!!"

Yup.  Thaaaaat's the Marten we know and love.

And it just cements the fact that he really is in love with Dora.

Good for them.

Besides, that means that Hanners is still available...hurr hurr...

*rimshot*

So, well played, Jeph.  Well played.

S
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Shok Xone Studios

• Wasn't he also "Vigo the Butch"?
    • ShokXoneStudios.com
« Reply #349 on: 09 Jan 2009, 09:46 »

Imagine how disappointed those geeks would be if they actually MET Summer Glau and realized she was neither crazy NOR socially inept
Then the realization strikes that she probably IS capable of kicking ass, so the kidnapping plot goes right out the window.
SHOK XONE STUDIOS.com
Art is love. Love is destructive. That's what I told the police when I blew up the museum.

oh look I has arts for sale
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up