THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Iron Man 2  (Read 68618 times)

Lines

• Awakened
Re: Iron Man 2
« Reply #150 on: 30 Apr 2010, 12:43 »

I hate it when they do that.

And what the crap, why is our release date a week later?? NOT COOL.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #151 on: 30 Apr 2010, 14:32 »

Well it's not like they do it on purpose. They have to make the trailer long before they finish editing the movie.

What's shitty is when the trailer is totally misleading and completely gives you the wrong idea of what the movie is like.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #152 on: 30 Apr 2010, 14:54 »

Do people being nice to Australians scare you?

It doesn't scare me, it just confuses me more than anything else.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #153 on: 30 Apr 2010, 15:14 »

What's shitty is when the trailer is totally misleading and completely gives you the wrong idea of what the movie is like.

I can't decide if this is worse than the trailer pretty much giving you a very detailed summary and therefore spoiling it. Both are bad.

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #154 on: 30 Apr 2010, 15:19 »

It's being released early worldwide due to World Cup matches. No one in America cares if seeing Iron Man would interfere with a World Cup match, people in the rest of the world generally go to the movies a lot less often.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #155 on: 30 Apr 2010, 15:28 »

I can't decide if this is worse than the trailer pretty much giving you a very detailed summary and therefore spoiling it. Both are bad.

As someone who doesn't care about spoilers, my opinion on that matter is clear.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #156 on: 30 Apr 2010, 15:56 »

Though I think I've been left with a nagging feeling that I've missed something as I didn't see the clip from the trailer where Stark jumps from the plane after Potts thows his helmet out. Tell me there wasn't a part at the end after the trailers that I've missed....

Was there a scene of him simply jumping out of the back of the plane without the bit with Potts? I've seen at least one trailer like that; I suspected that they filmed multiple versions of that scene, and so maybe the one from the trailer isn't the one that made it into the movie.

The movie started with the jumping-out-of-the-plane bit, but Potts might or might not have been there. In any case, there was no helmet throwing, and I can see why, because he can't very well fly without his helmet, can he? Which reminds me, there should be a scene in the trailer where Tony lets a girl use the repulsor glove, but that never showed up either.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #157 on: 30 Apr 2010, 15:59 »

Scenes from trailers not ending up in movies is pretty common, all things considered, but it's an entirely different thing with Marvel, it seems like. A large percentage of The Incredible Hulk's trailer didn't show up in the film.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #158 on: 30 Apr 2010, 18:41 »

Didn't even show up in the dvds deleted scenes as well, which is annoying because they are obviously finished enough.

I found that following the clips and trailers that were released for Kick Ass really spoiled the movie for me as things that should have hit harder (Big Daddy's fight scene in the warehouse and basically every Hit-Girl scene) didn't, because I'd already seen them. I've decided to stop watching anything other than the main trailers for films that I'm really excited for because I want it to be a surprise. I can't wait to see this though. Totally excited.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #159 on: 01 May 2010, 15:44 »

Saw it last night and enjoyed the hell out of it. It's a great step up from the first film, some parts were a bit draggy, but no where near to the point of the first one. Two hours went by rather nicely.

Downey's smart-ass delivery was on the mark, especially liked the scenes with the Senator. There were a few scenes where Potts was just plain annoying, it kind of felt like they kept the camera on their dialogue a bit too long and it ened up feleling awkward and weird.

There were a few bits of cheese, nothing too over the top but just enough to know they were thrown in for the kids and whatnot.

Cheadle didn't get as much film time as I thought he would, so when he did come into the movie fully at the end it was all kinda rushed.

Sam Rockwell was great as the poor mans Tony Stark and Rourke was great in all his greasy-hacker-thug-physicist glory.

For the people that have seen it what did you think of the scene after the end credits?

Retrospectre

• Curry sauce
« Reply #160 on: 01 May 2010, 17:55 »

That fifteen second scene after the end credits restored my faith in film as a medium.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #161 on: 01 May 2010, 18:09 »

Can someone PM me a description of that scene?

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #162 on: 01 May 2010, 22:51 »

Scenes from trailers not ending up in movies is pretty common, all things considered, but it's an entirely different thing with Marvel, it seems like.

Exactly this. It's a really stupid habit to have, but it's been around for ages. The big question is, why would they cut it out? That particular section of the trailer lasted like 15 seconds and was perfect. I know they throw the "unneccessary" reason around a lot but even then it wouldn't have hurt the film one bit to include that scene. (Considering Tony Stark's free-fall would have been faster than his helmet he would have caught it in no time anyway)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #163 on: 02 May 2010, 02:19 »

Can someone PM me a description of that scene?

Or just spoiler it here, I want to know what I missed!
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #164 on: 02 May 2010, 02:37 »

Wikipedia tells me it's a tie-in with Thor.

Which I've seen pictures of on the internet, it looks really fuckin rad.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #165 on: 02 May 2010, 02:45 »

The fact that I saw this

An hour before I saw the movie made that scene pretty fucking awesome.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #166 on: 02 May 2010, 17:01 »

You've been warned

What you missed

"Whosoever holds this hammer, if he be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."
« Last Edit: 02 May 2010, 17:04 by Blue Kitty »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #167 on: 02 May 2010, 20:15 »

Ohhhhhhhhh mannnnnnnnnn. I wish I could see it this weekend. :c But no, I have to be busy and have a job and stuff.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #168 on: 03 May 2010, 07:54 »

I just saw this today and man it was so very very good.

Everything about it was basically fantastic. Possibly the only thing I wasn't that keen on was the new design of the Iron Man armour and that is so minor it doesn't even matter. Easily as good as the first one I think. Possibly better.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #169 on: 04 May 2010, 17:27 »

alright, I just bought Iron Man on Bluray to get myself hyped up for Friday when number 2 (finally) comes to America!

woo!

go iron man!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #170 on: 05 May 2010, 09:30 »

The Iron Man Blu-ray is fantastic.  The DTS HDMA soundtrack will break your windows and knock down your walls.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #171 on: 05 May 2010, 15:46 »

Alright, as a movie it had some weak points, but as a comic book movie it was pretty damned good.

and oh yes that secret scene. I think I was the only guy in the theatre that got it though, which I think is a bit upsetting (I haven't decided whether it's upsetting that I got it, or that no one else did).

Also, the theatre was pretty much empty, which was a bit disappointing.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #172 on: 07 May 2010, 20:11 »

It took me ages to work out that Hammer was Sam Rockwell. (I guess I didn't see his name in connection with the movie anywhere either?). Fuck Sam Rockwell is awesome.

Also ScarJo looks pretty amazing with curly red hair.

The movie was OK I guess.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #173 on: 08 May 2010, 19:24 »

Fucking amazing.  It felt a little long, but fucking amazing.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #174 on: 08 May 2010, 23:32 »

Ok, we just got back, and here is my quick facebook update about it:

Just got out of Iron Man 2! ....it was FANTASTIC!!! God so much to say. Fucking hells yes Roger Sterling! The fake tan build up on Sam Rockwell's plams was fantastic. Mickey Rourke was amazing, he is such a great actor. Tony Stark...motherfucking Tony Stark. And the after credits!!! I'm so excited!

Basically....HOLY SHIT. God, it was so fantastic! And Thor! And his hammer! skldjaskl;jdaskl;fj asdfj I'm 8 different kinds of excited!!!
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #175 on: 09 May 2010, 08:11 »

Haha oh yeah I forgot to mention John Slattery in here. That might've actually been my favourite part of the film, Roger Sterling as Howard Stark.

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
« Reply #176 on: 09 May 2010, 08:38 »

Okay,

so after deliberation I think I agree more with the 60% Rotten Tomatoes score than with all the "it was fucking awesome!" flowing around in this thread. Although I liked the movie, I will have trouble recommending it to anybody with the same fervour that I did the original. Disappointing
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #177 on: 09 May 2010, 10:01 »

well, that was one of my most highly anticipated disappointments of...ever.

The worst part is that I can't think of anything that was particularly "wrong" with the movie; I mean, it made me laugh, it had some good action and some hot chicks. But still....it just...I dunno....it  wasn't very good.

Also, sitting in the the theater with all the other...people...before the movie made me realize that I hate everyone and I'm never leaving my house again. I mean, I already knew that but holy shit all the things I hate about my generation were perfectly personified in that crowd and it made me want to die.
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #178 on: 09 May 2010, 16:28 »

Yeah, it sucks when the moviegoing crowd can't behave itself. Maybe you could try watching it again at home?

Strangely enough, when I watched the first Iron Man movie I thought it was pretty entertaining but not the completely amazing thing people made it out to be. When it was over I thought "Is that what all the fuss is about?" The second one managed to impress me more. There was more to laugh about, there was more to wow about (woo junk science), there were more interesting people in it, and it was all together, well, shinier than I remember the first one to be. Maybe it's the difference beween seeing it on the tv and on the big screen, but I don't know.

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston
« Reply #179 on: 09 May 2010, 17:06 »

Don Cheadle is roughly 8 times as awesome as Terrence Howard.

And Mickey Rourke is a much badder-assed badass than the Dude.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #180 on: 09 May 2010, 17:51 »

The worst part is that I can't think of anything that was particularly "wrong" with the movie; I mean, it made me laugh, it had some good action and some hot chicks. But still....it just...I dunno....it  wasn't very good.

So I thought this as well and I think I may have worked it out. It's the flippin' action scenes/fights, dudes. The first Iron Man flick had exactly the same problem, it's just that it was generally limited to the end part of the film with the fight against Stane. They basically took the least awesome part of Iron Man 1 and multiplied it to several instances across the length of Iron Man 2.

Basically putting big dumb EXPLOSIONS FUCK YEAH sections in a film as otherwise as smart and self-aware as this is extremely off-putting and negates all the qualities that made the first one such a massive unbelievable hit among people who don't otherwise dig on big summer sfx extravaganzas.

EDIT: And um just so we are clear here, there is nothing wrong with big flashy action scenes in, y'know, an action film, but surely there is a way to do them so it doesn't completely throw off the tone of the rest of the film?
« Last Edit: 09 May 2010, 17:56 by David_Dovey »

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #181 on: 09 May 2010, 20:24 »

I was pretty up-front about my misgivings with the first Iron Man, but I think this was an improvement. It wasn't a huge improvement, but it was a good one.

Favreau's strength continues to be in his way with actors and the snappy dialogue between all the different characters. As with the first film the best scenes are the ones in which RDJ gets to trade quips with other game actors. His skill in filming fight sequences has improved some but he still has real trouble with climactic battles - that last fight with Whiplash must have lasted 2 minutes, if that.

That having been said, the movie was nicely paced and stopped just short of being completely overstuffed ala Spiderman 3. Was Justin Hammer such a boob in the comics as well? I feel like the villains in this one were much more well-developed than the first film's, even while it feels like Mickey Rourke didn't actually do or say much. I feel a bit disappointed that the sort of hints about the dark nature of Stark industries and the military industrial complex in the first film were jettisoned in the second, though that's probably a thing with the original comics more than anything else. Turns out Howard Stark was a hero and all the bad stuff Stark industries was involved in were solely the work of Jeff Bridges, apparently. The only real problem with this was that it made Whiplash a less interesting character - he didn't really have a legit beef with the Starks, he's just evil and holds a grudge. Overall it was a bit of a letdown that Stark so obviously outmatched all of his adversaries from the get-go.

So yeah, better than the first film, enjoyable certainly, but somehow I think it will be a bit less memorable than the first for some reason. Interested to see how they'll work with the Avengers' less popular members. After Cap, who's left? Thor and Antman? Anybody else? Then we'll have the proper Avengers film to look forward to. Propers to Marvel for making it a Joss Whedon joint. It's good that they're orienting themselves more toward the Iron Man sensibility instead of going Michael Bay with every movie.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #182 on: 09 May 2010, 20:31 »

I don't know, I guess I sorta expect the explosions and I think they should be there. I mean, Tony Stark is a weapons manufacturer. He makes explosions. He has a big huge gigantic ego. He likes for things to explode. He makes that happen.

I mean, fight scenes in a superhero movie doesn't not make sense. It just how it is. Superheros fight often. And when they are wearing super powered suits armed with various exploding things, stuff is gonna get blown up and smashed.

And then somethings were there to drawn a point. Like the scene where Tony is drunk, in the suit, on his birthday, and a bunch of party-goers and tossing things in the air for him to shoot. I really honestly feel like this was the first time they really drove home the point that he is an alcoholic, and can be/is an obvious danger to people, since suit and alcohol don't mix well. I was actually telling my boyfriend how I didn't feel like the first film touched on his alcoholism enough, but I feel like this film definitely has, and I'm glad.

And yeah, people misbehaving in theaters is so aggravating! The girl next to me, texted the whole time. And left the volume on her phone on. Not even kidding. And she kept updating her boyfriend next to her where her friends were. Then she kept asking about what was going on on the screen. I bet if you wouldn't have texted while the movie was on, you'd know.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #183 on: 09 May 2010, 20:42 »

I was pretty up-front about my misgivings with the first Iron Man, but I think this was an improvement. It wasn't a huge improvement, but it was a good one.

Favreau's strength continues to be in his way with actors and the snappy dialogue between all the different characters. As with the first film the best scenes are the ones in which RDJ gets to trade quips with other game actors. His skill in filming fight sequences has improved some but he still has real trouble with climactic battles - that last fight with Whiplash must have lasted 2 minutes, if that.

I just wanna say that is was the only scene I really had a problem with. 2 minutes? This is the final battle! I want it to be complex! I want it to be crazy! I want villains to shout out their evil plans, and why they are killing whoever the are killing, only for the hero to figure out a way to escape and get them. I want that frigging cliche. Because I love it. Its so comic book fantastic.

So yeah, better than the first film, enjoyable certainly, but somehow I think it will be a bit less memorable than the first for some reason. Interested to see how they'll work with the Avengers' less popular members. After Cap, who's left? Thor and Antman? Anybody else? Then we'll have the proper Avengers film to look forward to. Propers to Marvel for making it a Joss Whedon joint. It's good that they're orienting themselves more toward the Iron Man sensibility instead of going Michael Bay with every movie.

Wasp, and The Hulk. I mean, obviously, they made a Hulk movie, but he is part of the Avengers. I imagine they will do Wasp and Antman together.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #184 on: 09 May 2010, 21:09 »

I feel weird about the Avengers movie.  They characters are great in their own movies, but can we bring them together in a way that isn't terrible?

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #185 on: 09 May 2010, 21:14 »

ah-hah! i've got it:

i feel like the movie was made to sell trailers, rather than the other way around. Now, I'm no scientist but that's just about as backwards as you can get.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #186 on: 09 May 2010, 21:22 »

Word on the street is that the Antman flick is going to be a full-on comedy with action elements, not the other way round. I'm excited.

I feel weird about the Avengers movie.  They characters are great in their own movies, but can we bring them together in a way that isn't terrible?

Yeah I get the feeling that The Avengers movie is just gonna be way, way, way too much. But then, it's getting Whedon'd, so who knows?!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #187 on: 09 May 2010, 21:48 »

So, I just read on IMDB that they aren't including Wasp at all. WTF! She was one of the founding members of the Avengers! Grrrrrr. If they are making Ant Man, why leave her out? Someone tell me where this begins to make sense????

(On top of that, some douchebag[who was claiming that they shouldn't make an Ant Man movie] was saying that Dark Knight isn't a comic book movie because it isn't actually based off of any comic, and just takes its influence from Batman mythology, which isn't true. It's fucking based off of Killing Joke and Long Halloween and... Ugh! nerd rage)

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #188 on: 10 May 2010, 03:26 »

And then somethings were there to drawn a point. Like the scene where Tony is drunk, in the suit, on his birthday, and a bunch of party-goers and tossing things in the air for him to shoot. I really honestly feel like this was the first time they really drove home the point that he is an alcoholic, and can be/is an obvious danger to people, since suit and alcohol don't mix well. I was actually telling my boyfriend how I didn't feel like the first film touched on his alcoholism enough, but I feel like this film definitely has, and I'm glad.

I'm not sure if this was the intention. Here might be a spoiler. The reason that he got crazy drunk on his party in the suit was that he thought this party was going to be his last. Natalie: I'd do whatever I want, with whoever I want. So it was more of an excuse than a habit. Maybe they still knew to portray him as an alcoholic, but I don't know.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #189 on: 10 May 2010, 10:01 »

I felt the same.  I thought it was more that he was done being responsible and going out with a bang.

RallyMonkey

« Reply #190 on: 10 May 2010, 11:21 »

I don't think they were really planning on touching on the alcoholism yet. In the first film, there are almost no scenes in which Tony Stark doesn't have a drink in his hand, but they never draw attention to it. In Iron Man 2, the same goes for Tony's father. I think the makers are well aware of his alcoholism, but just don't want to address it at this point in the films.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #191 on: 10 May 2010, 19:12 »

I remember reading some interviews with Robert Downey Jr after Iron Man 2 was announced and he said that they would touch lightly on the alcoholism like they did in the first film but they aren't really going to get into the Demon in a Bottle arc until the third film.

satsugaikaze

• Vagina Manifesto
  • I LOVE BELL PEPPERS.
« Reply #192 on: 11 May 2010, 05:16 »

I usually compare the real dramatic and comedic punch in the first Iron Man film to the excitement people got from watching Tobey Maguire in his early stages learning to crawl up walls and web sling into billboards.
Except multiplied by the snappy dialogue and classy character traits, which adds to this "hoshit badassery" factor that was kinda there in the Spiderman film.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #193 on: 11 May 2010, 20:34 »

Saw it tonight! I enjoyed it! I have to say, I loved the part where Agent Coulson pulls Captain's shield out of the box and asks Tony if he knows what that is and Tony uses it to level the pipes. Awesome. Also Mickey Rourke and Scarlett Johansson kicked ass. I think they made a good choice with Johansson as Black Widow. Also Cheadle > Howard. I like them both as Rhodes, but I <3 Cheadle.

As for the alcoholism, I don't think it was really needed in this movie because the focus was on him slowly dying because of his "battery". Obviously we still saw him drinking, but to battle alcoholism on top of rapidly declining health and the government trying to steal your technology all in one go would have cluttered things. Especially now that War Machine is officially here, the third movie would be best to address this, as iirc War Machine will take over for Iron Man while Tony is in rehab.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #194 on: 11 May 2010, 21:10 »

I would be completely fine with one of these films stealthily turning into a War Machine-Don Cheadle vehicle. Dude deserves a blockbuster.
« Last Edit: 11 May 2010, 21:14 by Alex C »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #195 on: 11 May 2010, 21:11 »

And if you're wondering if I mean War Machine or Cheadle, you're right.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

JD

• coprophage
  • The Phallussar
« Reply #196 on: 15 May 2010, 11:54 »

That scene where Stark was beating up Rhodes at his house was great.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Hey JD, I really like your penis, man.

Mein Tumblr

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #197 on: 15 May 2010, 16:52 »

I thought it was the weakest point in the film, just because it seems so contrived.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #198 on: 15 May 2010, 17:31 »

Don Cheadle deserves a blockbuster.

This is really one of the truest things.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #199 on: 15 May 2010, 17:44 »

Yeah I can't wait til the third Iron Man movie just bums people out with Alkie Stark
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up