THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 07:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New trend in Northwest espresso: embarrassingly dressed baristas  (Read 23276 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

COFFEE AND TITS

SERIOUS BUSINESS
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

When I first read the word "pasties" I thought they were talking about the delicious kind.

That kind.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

That is completely a coffee shop I would go to if they served pasties. I don't even need tits at that point.

Also, I love my pagebreak. That is pretty much my favorite post I will ever make now.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

For those of you who like tits, but can't stand alcohol.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Alex C

• comeback tour!

I like how the topless coffee shop will be located at the former "Mac Daddy's Pub at the Fatcat Grille" building. CLASSY.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Guys, do you know how hot it gets working behind an espresso machine, even in the dead of winter? I'm just sayin'

Anyway, as a barista (I feel my contribution earns a touch of professionalism to this thread) I would say good gravy, do these girls not treasure the soft milky skin of their stomachs? I come home from work every day absolutely covered in coffee and milk stains. Occasionally if a smidgen of skin is showing at my midriff I burn it when I'm purging the steam wand. I wouldn't go to work without my stomach covered at least, and I wear long pants most every day because the coffee grinds get all over my feet and ankles (I have started wearing brown pants so it doesn't show as much.)  The horrible part about working coffee also is that your hands look revolting, dry and callused from all the water and the constant movement, with torn stained cuticles and coffee grounds under the nails. My face is always greasy from sweat and it's useless to think about doing my hair because the humidity plays havoc with it. So really. These girls can't look all that hot.
Oh. And.
As a lady with an okay body, I would say yes, I would probably work at one of these places because they sound funny. And, y'know. Tips are great. I get hit on enough at work really when I'm in a daggy t-shirt and jeans, I don't think any of that would change if I were to wear less. Don't get angry about it, my lovely forumites! It is really not worth your fury!

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master

The article was in the summer, so it was probably in the 60s or 70s (this is Washington), there were two other articles similar (I searched sexpresso to find the story, and won't that be fun to justify if someone uses my laptop?), the last one was saying that the pasties, scarf, or electrical tape waitresses made it count as... adult something-or-other, not sure if the bikini ones were stopped by the zoning issues as well.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling

Oh, and for the utterly confused (as I was):

Pasties (sing. 'pastie') are adhesive coverings applied to cover a person's nipples. They vary in size and are usually not much larger than the person's areola.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

But Lunchy what is the point of feminism if we are not allowed to get really angry on behalf of other (obviously misguided/brainwashed/subjugated) fully-grown human beings?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses

Seriously, we're posting on the forums for a webcomic about a coffee shop whose seemingly only defining characteristic is that it's staffed by snarky hot chicks. The sexy barista thing is a common cliche already, but now we're greatly and angrily offended because now there's skin involved. It's fine when it's a subtle, subversive sexism we can ignore, but now it's overt FUCK Y'ALL.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

The funny part is that someone said something about how some of us are "so angry and offended a bloo bloo" before anyone actually said anything like that?

I think that this has the possibility for exploitation. I guess every job has the potential but this is like who someone replied to what Harry said about what if the coffee shop ONLY hired pretty girls to work there.

But we've had lots and lots of discussions about this before, debating about women using their sexuality to their advantage. I think the last time it was specifically about adult film stars, where sure there are some who are kind of forced into it, but there are also plenty of women in the adult industry who love what they do.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!

The article makes it sound like regular old coffee places are at risk of being forced out of business.  Personally, I kind of doubt that this would happen.  From my time spent in coffee shops, I have noticed that most of them, especially the independent places, have very loyal customers.  Dedicated coffee shop people also seem to value an atmosphere of intellectualism.  If someone mentioned this idea in any of the places I have frequented, it would likely spark a debate about feminism and exploitation not unlike the one going on in this very thread.  No fedora sporting philosophy major wants to drink espresso and read Derrida with pasty-clad boobs bouncing around.  I can see these places competing with Dunkin' Donuts or McDonald's "McCafe," but not the places I know and love.  I also suspect that Sexpresso places are booming due to novelty value, but they will probably go the way of Krispy Kreme here in the U.S.  Oversaturation due to a surge of popularity, followed by mass closings once the novelty factor wears off.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

I've seen multiple independent coffee shops driven out of business by a chain place opening nearby. This happened a couple times in New Haven, with coffee shops that mostly service Yale students. The loyal customers who would never go to the competitor make up a smaller portion of their business than you might assume.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 04:50 by jhocking »

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

Whereas I've seen the exact opposite phenomena here. There was an article about it in the local paper, there were four or five Starbucks closings in the area, but all the locally owned coffee shops are doing just fine. Apparently people frequent the locals will just get a regular coffee without the fancy sugar grossness in times of economic downturn instead of completely forgoing their morning coffee.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest

*shrug* Every specific situation is different of course, I was mostly saying I would tend to believe the article.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

Oh no it would seem that I have been forced into reading the entire NN2S archive again. Damn you Jens, damn you.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist

again, i couldn't work in one of those stores because the idea frustrates and angers me and i don't like being hit on by strangers. but there are some ladies who really do like the attention and the tips and being hit on. solution: they work there and i don't. everyone is happy! if i were to say to one of those girls: "listen, you shouldn't work there, it's exploitation" that to me seems to be roughly the equivalent of "listen, you're obviously too naive and stupid to even realize you're being taken advantage of. do what i tell you to do because i know what's best for you better than you do." think about it, that's a terribly insulting thing to say to someone whom you don't know anything about. yes, admittedly it really weirds out and upsets me that any girl would enjoy working a job like this but i just have to accept the fact that not everyone is me. i'm sure most, if not all, of the girls working there know what they are getting into and are perfectly okay with what the job description entails.

to quote penny arcade - if you take a job eating bees, don't complain about bees stinging your mouth because eating bees is your job. so if you don't like being a half-naked barista, don't take a job working there. and if you don't like the business model, don't give them your money at all. pretty easy.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

tania

• famed sex columnist

i think maybe it started from the bottom, but the article mentioned that a few already-existing businesses converted to the same model in order to avoid losing business, and did so by hiring new staff or asking the already-existing staff to wear skimpy outfits. unfortunately that complicates the "if you don't like it, don't work there" ethos a bit because if you're a lady who doesn't want to get naked, and suddenly the coffee shop you work at is a half-naked one, you've lost your job there.

valley_parade

• coprophage

Meh, hot baristas just end up making you hate life and drink yourself silly on New Years.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

tania

• famed sex columnist

there are probably times and places where i don't mind, but in general i don't really enjoy or welcome it as much as a lot of other people.
i understand that lots of people do like being hit on, and because of that the guy was probably just trying to be nice, so i handle it mainly by avoiding situations where that would happen (i.e. not working at a half-naked coffee stand) or politely asking them not to do it. it seems to work.

benji

• Bling blang blong blung

i think maybe it started from the bottom, but the article mentioned that a few already-existing businesses converted to the same model in order to avoid losing business, and did so by hiring new staff or asking the already-existing staff to wear skimpy outfits. unfortunately that complicates the "if you don't like it, don't work there" ethos a bit because if you're a lady who doesn't want to get naked, and suddenly the coffee shop you work at is a half-naked one, you've lost your job there.

In this case, I wonder also about what happens to people who don't fit the "new model." If you were a man, for example, or if management just didn't think you were attractive enough. When restaurants start with an ogling women theme, it's my understanding that they often work in a modeling clause to the contract so that they can excuse only hiring hot women. Someone I met who had worked at Hooters at one point in her life said that this is how things worked there. But if you start as a normal coffee shop and then go half-naked, the overweight girl who makes a mean cup of coffee is a the ideal employee one day, and an "unattractive" liability the next.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

MrSteevo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Bros before hoes dawg

Where do you put the tip?
(just throwing that out there)
You would not be able to kill me. I would win.

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.

Man, all I can think is, "This can not be very sanitary or safe." Being around espresso machines does make you very hot and sweaty. When you're taking out the trash, you get germs on your skin and from the looks of it, the sexpresso places don't seem to wear aprons. Spilling milk on clothed parts of your body still hurts a bit, I can't imagine spilling it on your stomach, thighs or any other tender part.

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES

This is weird because as an old guy, I'm kinda used to being more conservative than you hip young people.  But here I'm thinking "So what's the problem?" while some people seem genuinely disturbed or even angered by it.

Basically, I'm not that picky about coffee-shop coffee.  Most of it is pretty good, better than the instant crap I make at home, and generally worth a few bucks if I'm out and need a fix.  There are always multiple shops to choose from, so given the choice, I'll stop at the one with the girls in bikinis.  Why?  Because if I'm going to have some coffee and have the choice between staring at the walls while I drink it or checking out girls in bikinis, I'm going with the second choice.  The shop with the best atmosphere wins, simple as that.  This is The American Way.

It did occur to me that the barristas could get more burns, and more severe burns, than if they were more fully covered.  But as has been pointed out, they knew the risks when they accepted the job.  There are job which some people will not do, while others are fine with it so they do it.  This too is The American Way.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

RE: the original article
i think i know one of those girls in the picture. weird.

oh yeah, and...

purging the steam wand

hurr hurr hurr
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor

My first thought was that this would be the absolute worst coffee shop to take a lady you are interested in to.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter

My first thoughts on this is the increase of people getting burned.  From the women wearing next to nothing, which Lunchy pointed out so well, to the people that may not have the capacity to drink coffee and turn their heads as the half naked women they got the coffee from walk by.

Everyone's getting burned.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz

luckily it's the Northwest so everyone is already freezing cold to begin with.

getting burned would be a relief.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man

Why do people assume that girls that are scantily clad are embarrassed? A lot of girls are totally comfortable in wearing something they might wear at the beach. Not all girls make the drastic difference between,"Oh I am wearing this at the beach/attract a guy/it's hot" vs "Oh hey I like tips and this is a good way to do it without anyone being taken advantage of"

Really, unless a girl is forced into it(which in most first nation countries is a pretty big feat) the only people being taken advantage of are the people who would drink poor coffee(I am not sure of this, it might be good coffee!) to look at what you can see on a beach.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Caleb

• Dewey Decimal Vessel.
    • Blog

I don't drink coffee much.

As for scantily clad ladies...

...well I don't get enough of those in my life.  But I don't feel like I should have to pay for it.  That includes buying products to be near such females.  If other people want to be naked or buy stuff being sold by nakedness then that's fine.  It's just not my scene I guess.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!

Man, that's nothing. I recently went to a free viewing for a new exhibition at the National Gallery here in London and Corona had very generously provided a large quantity of free bear served by similarly scantily clad ladies. High-brow renaissance art and tits.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

benji

I confess that I would find myself pretty embarrassed as a customer if women were scantily clad whilst serving coffee to me. Not because I find women in a state of undress to be unnatural or inappropriate, just that such a scenario paints me, the customer, into a specific corner which I have no desire to be in. For example, I tend to be nice and polite to pretty much everyone I ever meet, for whatever reason. However, if I was being served coffee by a lady who is scantily clad, people might assume that I was being nice to her because of her attire, rather than because I like other human beings. Thus, I'd sooner just not use such an establishment for fear of being a person who goes to a coffee store to ogle women in their underwear.

It's weird but I feel like as I get older, the more I appreciate privacy and discretion as being an integral part of sexuality.

I would feel pretty much the same way. I like the people who serve coffee at my local coffee shop, and I enjoy being friendly with them. I would be uncomfortable with the implication that the reason I was being friendly was because they weren't wearing much clothing. I don't think it does provide the best atmosphere. It adds a dimension to the atmosphere that I don't particularly want with my coffee.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Nodaisho

I agree with Tommy here, as well. I tend to be polite towards everyone, but I hate it when someone tries to get me to do something by being "charming", it feels like an insult to me. I think that would extend to the skimpily-clad attempt to get tips.

And, of course, the only time I go to a coffee shop, it is with some friends, all of which happen to be girls. Going there would be extremely awkward like that, especially as I don't trust my eyes to do what I tell them.

Fun fact: I checked five times to make sure that the word tips in the first paragraph wasn't tits.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!

Man, that's nothing. I recently went to a free viewing for a new exhibition at the National Gallery here in London and Corona had very generously provided a large quantity of free bear served by similarly scantily clad ladies. High-brow renaissance art and tits.

Bears? Man, that must have been the manliest art exhibition

Man I am not even going to edit that post. Instead I am going to edit my memory of the event.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Dazed

• Scrabble hacker
  • Straight outta Boston

Honestly, while I don't see anything wrong with starting/running your business this way, I really don't get the attraction. I think if I were to go there, I'd spend so much time trying not to be creepy and not ogling the ladies that it would defeat the purpose of having them in skimpy clothes.

Also, I drink tea. I make it myself.
I would probably be getting laid right now if it weren't for the Jews

Nodaisho

That is a really good term, Jens, what is that from?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor

It's a bit misleading I think though, my experience with boy scouts says they are kind of nerdy and very sexually repressed kids who would LEAP at the chance to see some tits.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

eddie

• Furry furrier

There was this biker pub in our town, I went in there when was 16/17 because sunday was topless barmaid day and they were all 40/50 years old it was really weird, they had some young hot girls working behind the bar aswell but they chose to keep their tops on.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor

Man, if I worked at a biker pub I would totally keep my top on at ALL times. Tips are not worth drunken gropes.

Nodaisho

It's a bit misleading I think though, my experience with boy scouts says they are kind of nerdy and very sexually repressed kids who would LEAP at the chance to see some tits.
They weren't clipped, though, were they?

Josefbugman

• Are you Sure thats wise sir?

(did not realise you were quoting song lyrics, please ignore. delete this post if it is possible)
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2009, 14:04 by Josefbugman »
Oddly enough the "oh no boobs!" box in the background of todays comic is my usual reaction.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

This is Jens.

(Jens was a boy scout.)

(tee hee)
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Alex C

• comeback tour!

Yeah, what Tommy said. I try to be aware of what kind of message I send with my actions, and I'm not sure I'd like what I'd be saying about myself if I went to such a place.
Plus, my life experience consists of Catholic private school and small town life, so even if I'm not really offended I still feel tremendously out of place in some situations because I don't really know how to fit in yet. For example, were I ever to go to a strip club, I think the biggest problem I'd have is being paralyzed by my ignorance of strip club etiquette, not being offended by tits.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor

Man, the first two lines of that song never fail to make me laugh.

I was born wearing pants!
(be prepared!)

That's probably one of my favourite Albini lines.

Nodaisho

It's from one of his spoken word performances on CD, Think Tank. Apparently I got it wrong (he says "boy scout astronaut mode" which is almost as good) or it was from one of his other shows, but this was the one that sprung to mind. It's at about 1:55.
Oh my god, that was hilarious. Thank you.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I remember being very puzzled as a result of being made to read, at the age of 10, Scouting for Boys - specifically, the chapter entitled "Self Abuse", which meant nothing whatsoever to me at that innocent age.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gilead

Man I would probably not go to these places not out of feminist outrage but because they sound classless as hell.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor

I just realized after reading Gilead's post that if they just changed the name to "Burlesque" coffee shops or something I would probably feel like the situation was a little less creepy. Hmm.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up