THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 19:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica on Friday!  (Read 23150 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: Battlestar Galactica on Friday!
« Reply #50 on: 01 Feb 2009, 10:05 »

Gotta admit that I want Gaeta to plan my next coup.  That one was rather well organized.

Now did anyone notice Spec. Gage soundenly realize that he'd signed on for something more than just having a go at the female cylon and Helo when he was told to relay the order to shoot down the raptor? 

Should be an interesting conclusion to the mutiny.  I'm going to predict that Cavil shows up....probably just before Adama gets shot.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #51 on: 01 Feb 2009, 10:20 »

Yeah, this is definitely the sort of situation that gets resolved with an "Oh shit!" deus ex machina on BSG.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #52 on: 01 Feb 2009, 11:21 »

If it ain't gonna be resolved with a deux ex machina then it'll end badly - remember Cally?   Although, most shows or stories don't kill off main characters until the very end, and then we'd get the traditional "passing of the torch" to the acknowledged successor - if that happens I think the next in the old Chain of command that's still in operation would be Starbuck (Helo and Tigh being hors de combat at present).
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #53 on: 01 Feb 2009, 12:40 »

Well, they can still get out of it without killing anyone major and without deus ex toaster. Starbuck, Lee, and the Chief are still armed and at large on the ship. If they can gather Helo and the Cylons and arm them, they have a decent chance to take CIC back. And with Lee having access to the wireless, Roslin can completely dismantle Zarek's rise to power, even if Galactica is still a war zone.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #54 on: 01 Feb 2009, 22:43 »

Personally, I thought this last was one of the best episodes of Battlestar I've ever seen.  Probably one of the best depictions I've ever seen of a revolution on TV, in all of it's chaos and ugliness.  Someone did their fucking homework on revolutionary chaos, just like they boned up on occupation and resistance (and the retribution of the resistance against collaborators) for the beginning of season 3.  If anyone wants to know why I am not a 'revolutionary,' they can consult this episode for a very visceral illustration.  And yes, I was sick for almost the entire episode and so were my two friends watching.  We've made a habit of following up Battlestar with 'The Wire,' and I think tonight the latter would have actually been less depressing.

Zareck and Gaeta are both totally committed, but I think it's interesting how Zareck is essentially comfortable with the amorality of his means while Gaeta can commit to them without seeming to be at peace with them.

Starbuck is a born counter-revolutionary; she figures that the best way to quash this is to keep putting bullets in people's skulls until it's over, which might be only slightly more than is needed here.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2009, 22:49 by Uber Ritter »
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

mietteissass

« Reply #55 on: 03 Feb 2009, 11:09 »

I agree with the sick feeling the entire time. Gaeta was in the perfect place to cause a coup. It couldn't have been better planned. I love how Starbuck starting kicking ass and not worrying about names. I'm with her.

And I don't know about all of you, but I cannot CANNOT wait for Gaeta to get his ass kicked. I use to like him as a character and I have mad respect for how smoothly the coup went. But I can't wait for Adama to punch him in his face and take a pee on his stump.

(wow i shocked myself with that)
« Last Edit: 03 Feb 2009, 14:03 by mietteissass »

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #56 on: 03 Feb 2009, 11:20 »

Don't think it'll be anything like that, but I can see lots of summary trials and the airlocks being quite busy, or the Astral Queen becoming a service detention barracks for the low level conspirators.

Gaeta's pooched unless he can successfully carry the coup out.  The only excuse for rebellion is success (just ask the Americans)

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #57 on: 03 Feb 2009, 15:39 »

Gaeta went from a pretty rad character to a whiny hateful bitch when he lost his foot.  Like that foot was 100% personality, and carrying the rest of him literally and figuratively.
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

TheDozarian

• Emoticontraindication
  • I am Dozer the Dozarian... bring me marshmelons...
    • I'm old but I have a myspace...
« Reply #58 on: 06 Feb 2009, 07:43 »

Gaeta went from a pretty rad character to a whiny hateful bitch when he lost his foot.  Like that foot was 100% personality, and carrying the rest of him literally and figuratively.

Gotta agree with ya...  And like mietteissass mentioned, I can't wait for Adama to knock this kid on his ass...  Pissin' on his stump... that was a nice touch...
It is what it is... But if I kill it, then is is dead?  So if dead is is, is it dead?

mietteissass

« Reply #59 on: 07 Feb 2009, 08:32 »

YAY! He got it! Gaeta is dead. But no pissing on the stump. I do think it was funny that his stump stopped itching right before the end. I was soo glad Zurich got it as well.  I am still waiting for the the other Cylons. I thought for sure they would show up.

I am worried about the crack in the hull of the galactica. Tyrol is such an amazing guy. I love him for pulling the FTL drive.

And Helen is coming back, Im a lil disappointed by that, but it will be interesting to see that.

I was pleased with the whole episode. Adama kicks ass.

AdamW

« Reply #60 on: 07 Feb 2009, 13:31 »

Frakking awesome episode last time. I've really liked Gaeta's character, but his end was pretty awesome.

Very part of the episode was the lawyer stabbing the guard with his pen. I didn't know that guy could be more awesome than he already was.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #61 on: 07 Feb 2009, 21:33 »

Holy fuck that was so fucking bad ass. The last two episodes have been brutal as hell but this just topped it. It seemed like every single character received a free complementary badass upgrade. I rewatched Roslin's speech about three times. Honestly there is not a lot I can say about this episode without just using the word badass in ever sentence. The acting was brilliant, every single star of the show has stepped up to the level the show is at since it came back from the midseason break. These last three episodes have convinced me that I don't even care how the plot is resolved at the end of the season, as long as they keep up the sheer level of quality the show has been at since the hiatus.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #62 on: 07 Feb 2009, 22:37 »

I thought when the episode began, "My God, I'll bet before this is over, someone will have the pleasure of killing Tom Zarek." And whattaye figure, it seems I was right.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #63 on: 08 Feb 2009, 21:27 »

I'm disappointed but not shocked by Zarek. From his introduction, I liked his politics and hated his guts. The two basic facts of Tom Zarek were that he's completely amoral in his grabs for power and that, even so, he's right. It just so happens, in this instance, I finally felt he was wrong. And it seems he met his end for it.

So there's democracy for you.

Fantastic, amazing episode. I was trembling from emotion the entire time. Roslin's defiance of Zarek, Baltar's realization of his duty, Tyrol's epic climb through the guts of the ship to save the day, every single fucking thing Kara did, the triumphant return of awesome lawyer man, and finally Adama marching down the corridors of his ship back to CIC.

There is no other show on TV like this. Brilliant.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #64 on: 08 Feb 2009, 22:03 »

Now that he has stone cold fucking stabbed a dude with a pen you should know that the lawyers name is Romo.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #65 on: 08 Feb 2009, 22:09 »

I did know that. Romo Lampkin.

Dude was also Badger on Firefly.

I wish I could be that actor.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #66 on: 11 Feb 2009, 09:40 »

I'm disappointed but not shocked by Zarek. From his introduction, I liked his politics and hated his guts. The two basic facts of Tom Zarek were that he's completely amoral in his grabs for power and that, even so, he's right. It just so happens, in this instance, I finally felt he was wrong. And it seems he met his end for it.

So there's democracy for you.

Fantastic, amazing episode. I was trembling from emotion the entire time. Roslin's defiance of Zarek, Baltar's realization of his duty, Tyrol's epic climb through the guts of the ship to save the day, every single fucking thing Kara did, the triumphant return of awesome lawyer man, and finally Adama marching down the corridors of his ship back to CIC.

There is no other show on TV like this. Brilliant.

Tom and Felix committed the ultimate sin of staging a coup - they failed.  And of course they paid the price for said failure.

I have to say that my wife and I were just, "Did they really just kill the entire Quorum?"  during the episode.  And at the end the episode was we were both, "Damn, only seven more sleeps to the next one!"

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #67 on: 14 Feb 2009, 17:26 »

Ok so they started out of the gate with a fucking insurrection and now we are getting some real answers about what the fuck has been going on?

Fuck yes

So did Anders  really say there were 8 cylon models created by the final five? Did he say that or was I going crazy?

Because uh....

what the fuck

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 14 Feb 2009, 18:19 »

Yes the 7 was named Daniel and apparently he was designed as an artistic child, which the logically wannabe computer that is Cavil destroyed permanently.  But BSG tends to not be so permanent when it comes to Cylons, know what Im sayin'

Also, PC from Mac vs PC adverts is the brain surgeon!  CARAAAAAZY!

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #69 on: 14 Feb 2009, 19:32 »

And now we have to wait 6 sleeps til the next episode.  Damn

Ellen seems like a much more likable character after resurection than she was before it.  And damn can Dean Stockwell carry a grudge.

mietteissass

« Reply #70 on: 15 Feb 2009, 06:56 »

The episode was great. We got a lot of answers, I do like Ellen better and I can't believe about the other cylon. That is pretty awesome

I think Ellen is more likable because her other ego was "programmed" to be that way. And the lil boy cylon, I can't wait to see if he comes back.

Anders talking like a hybrid was way awesome.

And I have come to a conclusion about Starbuck. My husband and I were discussing it and we think that Starbuck is now a clone of what she once was. Remember the episode where they were on New Caprica and she ended up in that facility where they took the women's eggs to try to spawn new cylons. WE think they used her eggs and made a clone of her, to send back to BSG.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #71 on: 15 Feb 2009, 09:29 »

I always love a gratuitous Adama drinking scene just for the little touches like picking up the glass and then just slamming the booze straight out of the decanter and then putting it and the glass down. I guess I empathise with a dude who likes to make important decisions drunk.

I really don't like Ellen any more now that she's got her memory back, in fact she kind of irritates me a little more now she's got the full picture. The fact stands, she's still right. The scenes with her and Johnny Cavill are great and were a decent output for some of the ridiculous amount of information they threw at us.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #72 on: 15 Feb 2009, 11:36 »

I disagree with the notion that Starbuck is a clone.  She *found* earth, the Centurion Cylons didn't know where earth was (cept the final 5, and not really even then) and they didnt know Starbuck died.  She blew up without the Centurion Cylons knowing and reappeared without them knowing. 

I would wager if anything, earth is not quite so dead and perhaps survivors, the final 5s ancestors, live underground or something.

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #73 on: 15 Feb 2009, 22:42 »

Does any one else feel as though they need to go re-watch the entire series based on last weeks revelations?  The fact that Cavil has been manipulating everything changes my perspective of everything that happened before.  One of the primary motivators for Cavil seems to be putting the FF into situations were they have to make choices that would cause their originals the most mental anguish possible.  With that in mind, I ask myself which of the thus-far non-cylon characters he has messed with the most and come up with Baltar.  Therefore I think he will be revealed to be the last cylon.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #74 on: 15 Feb 2009, 23:55 »

1) John Hodgman, motherfuckers. Hilarious.

2) Daniel/7 can still be alive, somehow. John/1/Cavil scrambled his genetics so...what if some copies were reborn with new genes and now he looks different...or isn't even a he anymore. An artist, and the only person on the show who paints was...

3) Suddenly killed and then resurrected on Earth. Someplace where the genetics can be screwed up, but the amniotic fluid is pure. Hidden away from the 8, a secret resurrection hub. A hope for the race to survive. A home for humanity to come back to.

Which would be the ultimate in-joke:

Starbuck used to be a man.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #75 on: 16 Feb 2009, 04:30 »

So Katee Sackoff was Dirk Benedict?

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #76 on: 16 Feb 2009, 10:29 »

If they try and pull that "All this has happened before..." with the old series and "...all this will happen again" with the new series, I think I'm gonna loose my mind.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #77 on: 16 Feb 2009, 11:34 »

4 more sleeps and 5 more episodes to go.

and then TV becomes pointless again.

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #78 on: 16 Feb 2009, 12:54 »

If they try and pull that "All this has happened before..." with the old series and "...all this will happen again" with the new series, I think I'm gonna loose my mind.

They have already set it up for "all this will happen again".  The way Cavil has treated the Centurions the past few seasons has already laid the groundwork for their inevitable rebellion against the humanoid cylons.

----------------
Now playing: The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen
via FoxyTunes

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #79 on: 23 Feb 2009, 08:51 »

Over 1000 years and Ellen's still a wench!

Seriously, Ellen's character seems to be staying true to the character she had prior to finding out she was a cylon. 

And the Degeneration of Admiral Adama seems to be carrying on apace.  Did anyone else notice that he produced Tigh's old hip flask last episode?

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #80 on: 25 Feb 2009, 14:20 »

4 more sleeps and 5 more episodes to go.

and then TV becomes pointless again.

Only until Caprica debuts in 2010! Already picked up for a 22 episode first season. It's not BSG but it's something.
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #81 on: 27 Feb 2009, 04:51 »

It's only as good as it's script and acting.  If it's up to the standards of BSG then its all good.  If it's not, then I'll end up watching a few episodes, and if it's no good, thenI can go back to painting little toy soldiers.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #82 on: 27 Feb 2009, 08:56 »

Actually I think Caprica shows a lot of potential seeing as the only real failings of BSG are the pacing and continuity issues that have come out of having to tell this sprawling story and also focus on the day to day life of the fleet. With more coherent and mundane plotlines on a smaller scale it could really shine.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #83 on: 01 Mar 2009, 19:59 »

How is no one discussing this damn episode?

So, I think everyone can agree that Starbuck is Daniel's daughter?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #84 on: 02 Mar 2009, 05:41 »

Nah - I'm hoping that she's actually Tigh's daughter. 

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #85 on: 02 Mar 2009, 06:35 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #86 on: 02 Mar 2009, 11:27 »

Whatever just happened, all I know is when they started playing the Cylon Activation Theme on piano I got shivers.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #87 on: 02 Mar 2009, 15:04 »

Moi aussi

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #88 on: 02 Mar 2009, 16:04 »

What I'm curious to see is if there's ever an explanation of why Galactica, and in particular, the Five got away. It's clear now that Boomer was Cavil's mole from the beginning, with direct access to Tyrol, and indirect access to Tigh and Ellen. Tory and Sam's survival and getaway might have been orchestrated as well.

There's just too much of a coincidence here, though I suppose it might not be Cavil's doing completely, but he's probably responsible for putting the five where they were. Still, I think he likes the idea of them all being around to experience the aftermath before the final extermination. Then you have the special roles that Adama/Roslin/Thrace/Baltar (is there a fifth I might be missing to complete the symmetry?) have to play, so I'm thinking they were always part of the mix.

Was Galactica et al chosen for this mission beforehand, and if so, by who?
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #89 on: 03 Mar 2009, 04:52 »

Well, my wife and I are convinced that Cavil knew who the five were from the beginning. 

Which makes his "interactions" with Ellen just plain creepy, and his interactions with Saul and Galen just plain filled with irony.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #90 on: 03 Mar 2009, 10:55 »

The writers of No Exit later confirmed that Cavil knew who they were and, at one time, all 8 Colonial models knew too, but Cavil wiped their memory of them and instituted the conviction that they weren't supposed to know (hence his stance in the Civil War- it was his rule to begin with).

So, yeah. He was just enjoying fucking around with them (literally, in Ellen's case) the entire time because he's a malicious bastard.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #91 on: 04 Mar 2009, 04:45 »

He does seem a little bitter that of all the cylon models, he's the one that got all the wrinkles.

But hey, he got Boomer right - that's got to count for something.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #92 on: 07 Mar 2009, 19:22 »

"yeah I'm pissing, you never been asked questions by a chick while she takes a piss before HUH"

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #93 on: 07 Mar 2009, 19:35 »

Only 2 epis to wrap everything up!  Battlestar is dying!

If only the Pegasus survived, it was in much better shape.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #94 on: 08 Mar 2009, 08:11 »

The most recent episode made me think that they just might manage to wrap everything up in the two remaining episodes after all.

Great closing shot, with Tigh and Adama sitting (and drinking!), both having made the hard decision and both realising it's the right one and taking just a little moment out from all the madness to say a quiet goodbye to Galactica. I loved the sot superimposing Galactica's scarred and craggy old hull over Adama's scarred and craggy old face, too.

The only sour note in the episode for me was the sudden jump from the close-up on Starbuck after she puts her photo up on the Death Wall to the very cheesy D-grade telemovie-sword-and-sorcery looking secret Cylon base. I think the main problem with the way the base looked was the colour. Purple's a very crappy-fantasy colour. (Although I was very relieved that Starbuck didn't shoot herself in the head: she had that T.V. drama "just about to shoot myself in the head" look about her in that close-up, and god knows we don't need to go through that again this season.)

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #95 on: 08 Mar 2009, 08:51 »

Starbuck can't shoot herself in the head.  She hasn't given Lee a few moments of happiness.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #96 on: 09 Mar 2009, 16:04 »

No! Galactica can survive! Convert it to a Battlestar/Basestar fusion and use Anders as its hybrid. KEEP THE OLD GIRL ALIIIIIIIVE

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #97 on: 10 Mar 2009, 04:29 »

There comes a time in the life of every military vehicle when it has to be turned into razor blades/museum piece or a reef. 

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #98 on: 10 Mar 2009, 11:30 »

Given, the Galactica started out the show as museum-worthy...

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #99 on: 10 Mar 2009, 19:56 »

Starbuck can't shoot herself in the head.  She hasn't given Lee a few moments of happiness.
Starbuck can't self terminate
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up