THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica on Friday!  (Read 22722 times)

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
Re: Battlestar Galactica on Friday!
« Reply #100 on: 16 Mar 2009, 15:35 »

Why is it that I'm picturing Adama and Tigh alone on the bridge, shaking hands and both saying "It's been an honour." as the Galactica rams the colony just as Starbuck and Apollo escape in raptor with Hera.

"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #101 on: 17 Mar 2009, 09:50 »

Agh, I missed last friday's episode and as of now neither Hulu nor SciFi Rewind have it up yet. Grrr!

EDIT:

A consultation of BSGwiki shows that Daybreak Part I hasn't been aired yet... true?
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2009, 09:53 by scarred »
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #102 on: 17 Mar 2009, 10:31 »

False. It aired last Friday.

And was weird.

This Friday is the end is the beginning is the end.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #103 on: 17 Mar 2009, 10:33 »

Noooooo! I must see! Damn you, internets, you fail me again!

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #104 on: 17 Mar 2009, 16:51 »

iTunes has some deal where they'll have the episodes first.  Hulu and the like has to wait a week.  I have a gift card that would have otherwise went unused (yay bittorrent for my music acquisition) so I'm cool with it, but I imagine it makes this kind of thing a huge pain.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #105 on: 18 Mar 2009, 00:39 »

I am still utterly convinced that Baltar is the hapless savior of the universe.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #106 on: 21 Mar 2009, 03:48 »

Perfect.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #107 on: 21 Mar 2009, 09:00 »

Okay, I guess I was wrong.  It was a pretty good ending.  I feel vaguely unsatisfied, but part of that is just because it's over. In the middle, a lot of shit happened really fast, and then by the last half hour it was kinda dragging and being oddly heavy-handed, but other than that.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #108 on: 22 Mar 2009, 17:47 »

I like the way the very end part before the credits made me realise the last two seasons implicitly seem kind of like a pre-emptive manifesto for human rights for artificial intelligences.

Great episode. They explained everything that needed explaining, but basically spent most of the last 3 hours just really giving our favourite characters the ends they deserved.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #109 on: 22 Mar 2009, 23:55 »

I thought starbuck was the harbinger of death or some such BS, what happened
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #110 on: 23 Mar 2009, 00:07 »

Actually, all of the prophecies of Starbuck came to pass:

She was the herald of the apocalypse, in this case the real, literal meaning of apocalypse- "revelation", in that her return to Galactica heralded the revelation of the final five and the path to Earth.

She was the harbinger of death, in that her actions caused the destruction of the resurrection hub and, thus, the mortality of the entire Cylon race.

And she brought humanity to its end, the final stop on its long journey, to Earth 2.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #111 on: 23 Mar 2009, 00:19 »

it was a good finale but i was really irritated with the five minutes at the very end where they did that whole "150,000 years later" flash forward to present-day new york city bit. the scene where adama's sitting on the hill next to roslin's grave talking about the cabin he's going to build, and it fades to black - that would have been a much better place to end the episode. the parts after that just felt really corny and redundant. if you got any problem-solving skills whatsoever, you can work out that they landed on our earth and that it's the past, having it literally spelled out seemed to me to really cheapen the ending.
otherwise though, they explained everything i wanted to know and i'm satisfied. now to replace battlestar with caprica.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #112 on: 23 Mar 2009, 00:51 »

Oh, man. Really?

Caprica just doesn't look or sound interesting. I mean, part of the appeal of Galactica was the brilliant moral, political, and philosophical questioning being counterpointed by bad-ass fucking space battles with nukes.

Caprica just kind of looks like a basic drama that also might have some robots.

Also, I mean...no Edward James Olmos, no Katie Sackhoff, no Dean Stockwell...I do not see the point. There's so many potentially interesting stories in the BSG universe and they chose the most boring timeframe I could imagine.

Also, the end part with Angel Gaius and Six. Jesus. Thanks for spelling out "OMG THE ROBOTS MIGHT KILL US" as if that wasn't the entire fucking plot of the entire four seasons of the fucking show.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #113 on: 23 Mar 2009, 03:59 »

the scene where adama's sitting on the hill next to roslin's grave talking about the cabin he's going to build, and it fades to black - that would have been a much better place to end the episode.

I agree completely but I lack the nerd rage required to get worked up about everything afterwards cause it was  still pretty cool and I thought it was a good way to explain that the head characters were external from the characters, as well as technically answering the question of what they were, but raising a lot more that are worth contemplating on our own.

From the SA BSG thread for this episode:

Awesome moment.

Also the point of the montage to me wasn't to say "WE MIGHT BE IN DANGER OF REPEATING THE CYCLE OMG" but rather to highlight that we are heading vaguely in the general direction the show is, but that we don't have to make the same mistakes of treating our creations like subservients.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2009, 04:10 by Hat »
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Border Reiver

• Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #114 on: 23 Mar 2009, 04:57 »

I disagree.  the best place to stop the episode would have been right after the Earth appeared over the moon.  The last half hour of the show felt like it was the product of "OMG, we have 30 minutes to fill!"
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #115 on: 23 Mar 2009, 05:31 »

but that wouldn't have included the scene where roslin died - it sounds pretty awful but i think it was really important in giving that character and her relationship with adama closure, as they've been building up to that since pretty much the first episode of the first season. personally i thought it was one of the most beautiful and touching moments of the episode too. cutting off the episode there wouldn't have resolved anything with starbuck either. but yeah, for the most part i definitely got the filler vibe as well.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #116 on: 23 Mar 2009, 06:30 »

Also it wouldn't have included the moment where Baltar was talking about farming and suddenly almost broke down, which was actually upon reflection I think my favourite part of the whole episode. It was just so perfectly acted, and I think that it was also essential to the show for all the collective distress and grief that all the characters have gone through over the last four years or suddenly burst out in the middle of the happy ending, even if only for a few seconds.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #117 on: 23 Mar 2009, 13:56 »

End it with Adama on the hill, next to Roslin's grave. That was the emotional high point and the perfect place to close the series. It's been about them since the start. On DVD I'm never watching it past this point again.

Also, scratch the whole "Let's abandon our tech" bullshiat. When Adama's sitting on the hill, have him looking out over the valley and various groups of people building cabins and planting crops.

And, really? Not only was the 150,000 Years Later refuckingdiculous, you had to go and ruin it further with a montage of robots while playing "All Along the Watchtower"? I wanted to break something.

Also, the happy ending completely spoils any significance on the part of Tori. When Tyrol learned she killed Cally I thought they were going to finally give Tori some meaning - her as a Cylon was a "WTF" moment purely because she was never a key player, and killing Cally was really the only important thing she ever did as a Cylon - but instead they went ahead with the peace anyway.

Alternate ending thoughts:

- When Tyrol kills Tori all hell breaks loose, Cavil is shot in the stomach and carried away by his Centurions, the Simon and Doral are both killed.
- As the Raiders turn back on Galactica, the whole Starbuck-entering-coordinates scene commences.
- Galactica jumps away right before the Raiders close on it. Immediately after, Racetrack launches the nukes just before she dies.
- As the colony dies, several Baseships, full of Centurions, escape. Cavil lies dying in the command center of one, says to the Centurions, "You think they didn't plan this all along?" He dies. The Centurions look at each other ominously.
- Galactica arrives at "Real" Earth. It's not inhabited by humanoids.
- All the landing stuff happens; the families, the characters, Lee/Kara, Saul/Ellen, Helo/Sharon/Hera; except for the "Let's Become Cave People" thing. Sure, they abandon their technology, but we see cabins being built and little paths being made.
- Adama/Roslin have their Raptor flight and burial. Adama on the cliff, next to the grave, watches the human race construct their wood buildings on their new home. His mission is accomplished. His journey is over. Cross dissolve to:
- Gaius and Caprica's conversation with the Angels . "All of this has happened before... All of it will happen again..." The Angels depart. Pull out from the planet to show the galaxy (alluding to Season 3) and pull back in a different part, with a shot of the Baseships. Cue the Final Four theme. They jump away. Blackout. End of Series.

At least there's still the Plan to look forward to before nervous anticipation of Caprica. Just remember that everybody thought a reimagining of BSG was a terrible idea... Skepticism for the spin-off should be taken the same way.

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #118 on: 24 Mar 2009, 07:41 »

nerdrage
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #119 on: 29 Mar 2009, 14:31 »

Alternate ending thoughts:

- When Tyrol kills Tori all hell breaks loose, Cavil is shot in the stomach and carried away by his Centurions, the Simon and Doral are both killed.
Wait what. When Tyrol killed Tori all hell did break loose.

I'm considering learning how to use editing software just to learn how to re-edit the last half hour so it annoys me less. That bit where they decide to go back to no technology pissed me off no end. Cut that, rejig it a bit, and end with Sam flying into the sun/Adama sitting on the hill. Also lose the bit where Kara suddenly disappears - this made no sense to me whatsoever.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #120 on: 29 Mar 2009, 16:43 »

i actually really liked the part where kara suddenly disappears because it opens up the floor for people to discuss their own interpretations of what they think happened. it's nice to sit down and put together the pieces on your own sometimes as opposed to just having everything explained for you, which is pretty much the same reason i absolutely hated the flash-forward-to-2009 bit. the way it was done was a bit sudden and awkward, but personally i much prefer that they left her departure open to interpretation. what's the fun of watching a series finale if they don't leave you anything to argue with your friends about for the next 4 hours?

MrMonk

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #121 on: 20 Apr 2009, 21:20 »

DELAYED NERDRAGE

I was disappointed by the way the loose ends were tied together.

"GODDIDDIT!"  DAMMIT!

Should have seen it coming.
If you don't hear from me again, expect the worse.  Long live the Batman.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up