THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 00:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost; Season 5  (Read 49842 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Re: Lost; Season 5
« Reply #100 on: 29 Mar 2009, 16:39 »

If Ben was dead, space-time would collapse since Sayid wouldn't have gone back to the island to kill Ben if Ben wasn't alive in the future would means Sayid would never have gone back in time and killed Ben which means Ben would have not been shot and killed as a child, thus he would have convinced Sayid to go back to the island in the future and Sayid would have done so and killed Ben and...well you get the picture. It's a paradox. In other words, Ben is definitely not dead.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #101 on: 29 Mar 2009, 17:17 »

Daniel said it best:

Whatever happened, happened.

Nothing has changed. Why do you think Ben was always so darn sure that Sayid was a killer and that he'd always come back to what he does best? Sayid told him so himself, right before putting a bullet in his chest.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #102 on: 29 Mar 2009, 17:41 »

Jordan's got it summed up, particularly considering the title of this week's coming episode. Anyone care to venture a guess?

I'm hiding it behind the link in case anyone doesn't want to know.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

BrilliantEraser

• The German Chancellory building
  • We're kings among runaways
    • Brilliant Eraser Productions
« Reply #103 on: 29 Mar 2009, 18:15 »

Wow. Apparently Lost producers and fans are on the same wavelength?
Quote from: Khar
*bloop bloop bloop*

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #104 on: 30 Mar 2009, 23:57 »

Guys, I have developed a theory of a bunch of stuff on the Island and it might not be right and it's also not based on any future spoilers or anything, btu I'm making i tiny print anyway in case anyone cares to read, but it's cool if you don't.

Okay, we know that time spent on the Island = quicker deterioration of the body when jumping.

What this says to me is that there's a sort of energy radiating from the Island into the people on it. The more energy you absorb, the more of you is on the Island's time. In other words, when the Island jumps, if you have enough timey wimey stuff absorbed, you jump with it. But if you don't, you get left behind. However, the more timey wimey stuff you've already absorbed, the more of you actually does move with the Island in its jumps, thus killing you quicker, the longer you've been on the Island.

Okay, so that brings us to the Oceanic Six. There were 8 people on Ajira Flight 316 previously on the Island and four jumped with the Island to its own, newly reanchored time while four were left behind. Lapedus, obviously, had spent barely any time on the Island, so he clearly must not have had any energy to jump. Ben and Locke, meanwhile, has actually activated the anchor and been shot through time, possibly cleansing them of their built up energy. Sun, however, has been on the Island as much as anyone else of the Six. So why didn't she jump?

Because she was pregnant. Ji Yeon absorbed the Island's energy, not Sun. Once she gave birth, Sun was practically off the Island's time, because her child had taken it. So she didn't get to go back in time with the rest of the Six.

Which, then, obviously leads us to why children can't be born on the island: they're being poisoned by the Island's temporal radiation...stuff. Ji Yeon survived by being removed from the Island in time, Aaron survived by being off the Island for most of development, but any other child is screwed.

And all of this energy being released and poisoning the Island's inhabitants must clearly be new, since children can be born in 1977, probably a result of Dharma's messing around with the Swan and whatever incident occurred.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #105 on: 31 Mar 2009, 13:35 »

Woah man, I like the way you think. That all sounds surprisingly plausible (I say surprisingly since most people with 'Lost' theories spew nonsense).

Hollow Press (my blog)

BrilliantEraser

« Reply #106 on: 31 Mar 2009, 18:00 »

That... makes a surprising amount of sense. See, I always thought the children dying had something to do with Ben's premature birth. As I recall, he was born at around seven months. All pregnant women have complications at the seventh month, which kills them and the fetus. Things were all dandy until Ben and the Hostiles came to power. Which made me wonder if Ben had a hand in that. What if he developed some sort of virus or something?

But I think your idea goes more with the mystique of the Island.  :lol:
*bloop bloop bloop*

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #107 on: 02 Apr 2009, 06:08 »

I just knew that if they did something to save Ben, he wouldn't be able to remember what happened. Also, I'm glad that Kate gave Aaron to his grandmother.

Also, we don't know where Daniel is, right? I remember seeing him working on the Swan Orchid in a flashback/forward thing, so he's not gone. Thoughts on where he is?
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2009, 18:38 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #108 on: 02 Apr 2009, 06:42 »

I think Daniel may have possibly have time-traveled again during the 74-77 period. That or he's down in The Orchid and is one of the first and most important time-travel researchers for Dharma.

Also, I have to say I hope that The Temple/Smokey doesn't work the way that I think it does. When Richard said "He'll always be one of us." I was a little disappointed. I really really hope that whatever happens to people in the Temple doesn't turn The Others into some kind of drones of the Island. I don't even really like the implication that something like that changed Ben's personality. I mean, it does do a lot for the time-travelers realizing that they're responsible for who Ben became, but it sort of cheapens Ben as a character, for me, at least if this "Otherfication" process works in the way it seems to.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #109 on: 02 Apr 2009, 10:18 »

Daniel's down in the Orchid and, presumably, in 1977 as well.

For anyone who's seen the Dharma Booth Video, it's indicative that Daniel will be showing up again soon enough, since it's pretty easy to assume who the "credible source" is judging by the off camera voice.

Though I actually never noticed something. I haven't watched the video since before the season started and I am VERY intrigued by the name of the other individual that Chang addresses off camera at the very end.

In terms of the Temple, honestly, that's been the suspicion I've had as to how it works since This Place is Death. Look at it through these details:

I've been of the belief that the smoke monster "judges" people since season 3, with the way it killed Mr. Eko. If it judges you worthy, you become an Other, but will suffer a personality change, possibly without even really realizing this. That last bit is the conclusion I came to after This Place Is Death, based on Locke's behavior since season one. Initially, while dealing with anger issues, Locke seemed relatively level headed, if a bit naive and easily manipulated. After his encounter with the monster, he suddenly started spouting off bullshit about "the island wants this, the island wants that." Perhaps that is what becomes of Ben?

I don't see that it cheapens anyone as a character. Your personality isn't defined by how you're born, it is defined by your experiences. Even if Ben changes as a result of his judgment, it's still a life experience and it's still a path he'd been heading down for a while. Whatever happened...happened.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #110 on: 02 Apr 2009, 15:50 »

Jon, Jon, Jon, Jon.

I kind of figured out why the episode after next week has the title it does.

It's 1977.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #111 on: 02 Apr 2009, 16:02 »

Yeah, but dude, 1977 is when the first one came out. It's clearly an Empire reference, which didn't see release until 1980.

New thought: Hurley blows the survivors' cover by accidentally blurting out Star Wars spoilers. If they actually did this, I would personally suck the producers' dicks.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #112 on: 02 Apr 2009, 16:09 »

Yeah, I know that, but there's no awesome puns to be made with the first one (that's a complete lie, but maybe they just wanted to use the pun).

Also, that is the other thing I thought, exactly. Hurley totally accidentally spoils ESB and everyone is fucked.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #113 on: 02 Apr 2009, 16:18 »

Honestly, it could be done easily. Way I'd play it is have the Dharma's having a "activity day" in which one of the Dharmas snuck along a print of this "cool new sci-fi movie" that just hit release. Hurley proceeds to quote shit all through it. Upon being asked how he knows it so well, Hurley slips up and says "Oh, I saw this a million times when I was a kid..."
JON MADE ME GAY

JediBendu

• Furry furrier
« Reply #114 on: 03 Apr 2009, 08:25 »

I don't see that it cheapens anyone as a character. Your personality isn't defined by how you're born, it is defined by your experiences. Even if Ben changes as a result of his judgment, it's still a life experience and it's still a path he'd been heading down for a while. Whatever happened...happened.

Somehow I just don't like the idea that some supernatural influence changed Ben as a person. I liked it when it seemed that Ben was who he was for more mundane and human reasons, and not because the Island literally changed him at his core. I'll get used to it, I guess.

BrilliantEraser

« Reply #115 on: 03 Apr 2009, 20:48 »

I think the Temple is like the "Pet Semetary" for the Others. Am I the only one who thinks this?
*bloop bloop bloop*

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #116 on: 09 Apr 2009, 05:11 »

I really thought Ben had killed Penny.  I think I like it better that he didn't, even though I don't care for her character. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #117 on: 09 Apr 2009, 10:48 »

He assured Whidmore he was going to kill Penny. He knew Desmond was in town from meeting him and would easily have been able to presume Penny was there as well as a result. The big thing, though? When he calls Jack, the blood is clearly fresh, probably not all his and he's on a dock. Considering Penny lives on a boat now, it's the logical conclusion. I'm not sure one way or the other whether he succeeded, but my guess is he at least tried to kill Penny and ran afoul of Desmond. My best guess is that he did not succeed and Desmond will follow Ben to the island to make sure he never tries again.

Boom! Called it! We'll see how the rest turns out.
JON MADE ME GAY

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #118 on: 10 Apr 2009, 06:20 »

Well, one of them was the bounty hunter sent to capture Sayid, but I'm not sure if it works to the theory (she's a merc) or against it (there's already a reason for her being on the island; I guess she could've been hired by Widmore to get Sayid too but Widmore didn't know Ben could get to the island).
I do not think I agree with the theory, because it would be a bit of an ass pull on the part of the writers. Especially after Keamy and his team failed, and these guys aren't doing a great job of keeping him under control.

Also, Ben is definitely the best character.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #119 on: 11 Apr 2009, 10:46 »

I still love lost to a ridiculous degree. If only it was on every night, like The Wire is in the UK atm.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #120 on: 11 Apr 2009, 15:31 »

It's actually on daily in the US. It plays on the Sci Fi channel twice a day, I think. Sucks to be you, UKers!

Not that it matters to me, really. I've got the whole thing on DVD anyway.
JON MADE ME GAY

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #121 on: 11 Apr 2009, 16:21 »

SUCH
A
GOOD
EPISODE!!!
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #122 on: 12 Apr 2009, 07:27 »

I am sooooooooooo glad that Ben instead got his ass kicked by Desmond instead of killing Penny.

And tee hee hee, he has to follow a man he's tried several times to kill for good.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #123 on: 19 Apr 2009, 15:28 »

You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #124 on: 19 Apr 2009, 15:41 »

Oh, Jordan, you just made my day.
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #125 on: 20 Apr 2009, 14:09 »

Upon meeting outrage over his choice to run the Boston Marathon in a pretty, pink tutu, John Locke was quoted as saying, "Don't tell me what I can't do!"
JON MADE ME GAY

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #126 on: 20 Apr 2009, 16:27 »

Jesus christ, his legs are fuckin horrifying.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #127 on: 23 Apr 2009, 20:24 »

So.

Three episodes left

Here are the titles, with what character each is about.

These are huge spoilers.

So...don't look unless you want to be spoiled!

5.14: The Variable - Daniel
5.15: Follow The Leader - Richard
5.16&5.17: The Incident - Jacob
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #128 on: 23 Apr 2009, 20:43 »

Well, I know the titles already, but I only know who next week's episode is about, so I guess I'll avoid that for now.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #129 on: 23 Apr 2009, 20:47 »

Well, the rest of the season is going to be fucking epic based solely on flashback characters.

Also, I have a wacky insane, extremely incorrect theory about the people who abducted Miles before the trip and took over camp at the 316 site:

They were hired by future versions of the 815 crew from the past to take control of the island in the present day.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #130 on: 24 Apr 2009, 05:21 »

I have to say, I really love your theories.  I suck at coming up with anything to try and explain anything in this show. 

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #131 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:16 »

Yeah, seriously! That too seems really plausible. My theory: the show is going to end for good back at the very beginning i.e. the Oceanic 815 plane crash. Somehow their memories will have been erased or something like that and they'll essentially be stuck in an endless loop through time, forever leading them back to the island (which will be increasingly populated, perhaps, with mysterious skeletons a la 'Adam and Eve' which is clearly two of the survivors who died in the past and were discovered by themselves in the present (Jin and Sun perhaps? I don't see them killing Kate and one of them is a woman. I suppose it could be Juliette as well...))

Hollow Press (my blog)

pen

• Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #132 on: 24 Apr 2009, 07:54 »

Jon's theory is Bernard and Rose.  I think it's likely. 

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #133 on: 24 Apr 2009, 08:44 »

Ever since it turned out Bernard was white, I've been absolutely convinced the skeletons were Rose and Bernard.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #134 on: 24 Apr 2009, 10:31 »

Aw, man.

That makes me sad. Rose and Bernard died in the 50s.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #135 on: 24 Apr 2009, 15:19 »

Oh yeah, I forgot about them! They haven't been around all season and they were never really important characters but it does make sense.

Hollow Press (my blog)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #136 on: 29 Apr 2009, 15:10 »

Sorry for the double post but since it's not at all related to the last...
Finally a new episode tonight! I haven't read the synopses but holy hell do the last three episodes sound cool based upon the characters of focus. I mean (SEMI-SPOILERS!!!!)tonight: Daniel, next week: Richard, last episode: Jacob. That's going to be so cool!

Hollow Press (my blog)

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #137 on: 29 Apr 2009, 19:03 »

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!! FUCK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
JON MADE ME GAY

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #138 on: 29 Apr 2009, 19:22 »

Man, I knew Widmore was Daniel's father for the longest time. I think it's funny how they reveal some things so quickly and take so long to get o others.

Hollow Press (my blog)

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #139 on: 29 Apr 2009, 19:24 »

Now that I've had time to think on it, I'm relatively sure the ending was a red herring. It really all depends on whether or not the Dharma Booth Video is considered canon. If it is, then Daniel's presence would indicate he had to survive. If not, well, I just don't know.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #140 on: 02 May 2009, 21:55 »

Now that I've had time to think on it, I'm relatively sure the ending was a red herring. It really all depends on whether or not the Dharma Booth Video is considered canon. If it is, then Daniel's presence would indicate he had to survive. If not, well, I just don't know.

Oh man, you're right.

C'mon, continuity!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #141 on: 06 May 2009, 05:41 »

That, or the island already fixed his brain, and, y'know, Locke...
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #142 on: 09 May 2009, 21:57 »

Locke and Christian are an anomaly, dammit. The Island doesn't have magic resurrection powers for any old dude. No one on the Island has been resurrected, only people who died off and were returned.

So...really...no reaction here to "I'm going to kill Jacob."?

And I'm pretty well convinced: whatever happened, happened. Yeah, maybe drilling at the Swan caused a massive release of electromagnetic energy. Or, maybe, just a hunch, blowing up an H-bomb did?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #143 on: 10 May 2009, 19:00 »

I get the impression that Christian and Locke are both very different things. The fact that Christian pops up all around without actual movement and his statement about not being able to help Locke up under the Orchid give the impression he cannot actively interact with the other characters, but John has physically interacted with multiple other characters since his return. I'm still not convinced that Christian is actually anything but dead as a doornail.

Also, for those still harping on it and, like me, some answers concerning what's up with that Dharma Booth Video I linked to.

This week's Lost podcast.

Lindelof and Cuse are asked, point blank, if the Dharma Booth Video is considered canon and, if so, if it was a goof. Their answer? Supplemental material is, as a rule, not considered directly canon, but the video was originally supposed to occur in show. Due to problems with budgeting (Due to the recession), the plotline and an ARG that were supposed to center around the video were scrapped and altered into what the show has since become.
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #144 on: 13 May 2009, 20:03 »

AHHHHHHHHH!!!

FUCK!!!

WHAT?!

FUCK!!!

AHHHHHHHH!!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
JON MADE ME GAY

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #145 on: 13 May 2009, 20:05 »

And now we get to wait 9 months to find out what the crap is going on.

Joy.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #146 on: 13 May 2009, 20:08 »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #147 on: 13 May 2009, 20:41 »

Major spoilers:

After some searching, the best I've managed to dig up of a translation of what Richard said was from a yahoo answers question. An incredibly dubious source, but the best I have for now. What lies in the shadow of the statue? 'He who will save us all.'

A more concrete translation should be floating around the net by tomorrow.
JON MADE ME GAY

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #148 on: 13 May 2009, 21:17 »

Lostpedia is confirming the translation with the operative word 'save' potentially being protect or preserve'.
JON MADE ME GAY

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #149 on: 13 May 2009, 21:58 »

ohmygodohmygodohmygod!

Now THAT'S how you do a finale. Wow.

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up