THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 02:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost; Season 5  (Read 49520 times)

blanktom

• FIGHT YOU
  • Liev Schreiber scares me
    • myspace!
Re: Lost; Season 5
« Reply #150 on: 14 May 2009, 03:45 »

As the screen went blank and the Lost logo faded in, I actually cried out loud 'YOU BASTARDS'.

Now THAT'S how you do a finale. Wow.

QFT.
Is that you John Wayne? Is this me?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #151 on: 14 May 2009, 05:52 »

Yeah, I was watching it in a room full of people and the second the screen flashed white and the Lost logo came up, we literally all cried out in anguish. They just love fucking with us...
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
  • Standing proudly behind unpopular opinions
« Reply #152 on: 14 May 2009, 20:28 »

That was worse than the first time I had sex
"In this zero sum game everything given to another, reduces me"

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #153 on: 14 May 2009, 20:41 »

Man, not me. THat was better than the first time I had sex, and the first time I had sex was extremely satisfying.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #154 on: 14 May 2009, 21:46 »

That was worse than the first time I had sex
Look, I'm sorry, but to be fair, it was my first time too. And it was years ago, it's time to let it fucking go.

Anyway, a theory I tossed onto another forum is that AliveLocke (as opposed to DeadLocke) is actually the Smoke Monster, which is actually the other dude at the start. Monster's able to change shape, talk to people, etcetera, and it convinced Ben to obey everything Locke said when it was Alex.
Tina Turner kicking the crap out of Zombie Ike Turner?

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #155 on: 14 May 2009, 23:42 »

On another forum I go to we've decided to call the other guy/deadlocke Esau. Oh lost and your silly biblical imagery.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #156 on: 15 May 2009, 01:27 »

Lostapedia has it's "theories" page pretty much naming AliveLocke whatever religious entity they can draw even the most tenuous link to. Esau is probably the least crazy name there.

Also, what was up with "Ricardus"? I assume it's his real name because he's really old or something.

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #157 on: 15 May 2009, 05:20 »

On another forum I go to we've decided to call the other guy/deadlocke Esau. Oh lost and your silly biblical imagery.

Yeah I kinda thought Jacob/Esau or some sort of bizarre Cain/Able relationship between the two. But bottom line is you cant fucking just introduce two extremely important characters at the beginning of the finale with no fucking explanation other than one of the has a name that happened to have a lot of screen time. That smashcut to white, well whatever it was a nuke (though since when did plutonium cores blow up without a fat lot of traditional explosive), so I am not going to gripe about that. But this Locke BS was complete crap, and whats with "The Good Guys" who the fuck are they? Oh apparently they (one of them) are introduce in this three minute flashback with one of the other characters that is actually just a name that appears throughout the series and NOT ACTUALLY A CHARACTER.

Pardon my rant, but you want a finale done right, watch Weeds, and I *love* Lost, it sits comfortably behind South Park and The Venture Bros as the best show that currently airs, but I can honestly say that was a poor finale from a story telling position.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #158 on: 15 May 2009, 07:37 »

Actually, Ilana's been showing up most of the season. She popped up bringing Sayid in, remember? She'll obviously be fleshed out next season, I don't see it as any reason to get one's underwear in a twist. All told, I'd say it was the best finale, overall, since season one.
JON MADE ME GAY

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #159 on: 15 May 2009, 08:01 »

"Ricardus" is his Latin name. Since the Others speak (or did speak...) in Latin, I'm assuming the Ajiira folk are old others of some kind. In any case, they have an obvious connection to Jacob. I don't think AliveLocke is the smoke monster. I'm pretty sure that's a third entity altogether. When Ben told Locke he had to do whatever Locke said b/c the smoke monster told him to in Alex's form, Locke seemed genuinely surprised and pleased. When it was asked why the Ajira folk were lugging DeadLocke's body, they said it was to show what Richard and the Others were up against. Since they know about the smoke monster and can apparently summon it, I think AliveLocke is something more evil....or maybe more good? We still don't know who's good and who's bad. Is Jacob the good guy and DudeFromTheEpisode'sBeginning/AliveLocke (they're obviously the same person) bad or vice versa. We still don't even know that answer for Ben and Widmore to be honest.
I do think the religious possibilities (Jacob and Esau) are interesting and compelling. In the Old Testament, Esau and Jacob are twins. Esau sells his birthright to Jacob for some red stew or something b/c he's really hungry. This pisses off God who basically exiles Esau for so lightly giving away that which is most important. Maybe something similar happened here. The guy in the black robe from the beginning ran the island and for some reason passed on that power to Jacob or Jacob took over. The guy realized his mistake and wanted to kill Jacob to reclaim the island but b/c of some strange set of rules could not.
Now, the rules are obviously significant. Remember, Widmore supposedly broke the rules when Keamy killed Ben's daughter. It seems that Ben and Widmore can't kill each other, again b/c of some kind of set of rules. It would be WAY too coincidental if these rules weren't linked to the rules that prevented Black Robe guy from killing Jacob.
Also, the conversation between the Black Robe guy and Jacob is still confusing me. I can't make any sense of it....

Hollow Press (my blog)

Chesire Cat

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #160 on: 15 May 2009, 16:10 »

Haha boy was I ever in rant mode when I wrote that, anyway, I maintain it was a poor ending, not because it didnt leave you hanging, because it did. It was lacking being it introduced  a tonne of mythology with no explanation, its bad story telling.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #161 on: 18 May 2009, 16:41 »

Oh man, one season to go.

I just hope to God it ends well. If it dosn't this will feel like a waste of time, if it ends well it will be totally epic.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

fish across face

• The German Chancellory building
  • Fugu, I won't do what you tell me.
« Reply #162 on: 27 May 2009, 05:25 »

TOTALLY ASSUMING TALKING ABOUT STUFF SEEN IN SHOW UP TO SEASON 5 END IS NO SPOILER

Hey, so what the hell's going to happen in '77?  Basically the two obvious outcomes - everyone's dead or Oceanic 8whatever never crashed - mean no last season to speak of or such a dramatic change in direction that I just can't see it happening on a big budget primetime TV show.

Mind you, if what Richard said to Sun about her friends is true (no evidence he lies, but maybe he got it wrong) things could be interesting.

Pet peeve: the scenes with magnetic stuff happening.  So, so unrealistic.  I don't mean unrealistic like the fantasy / sci-fi elements where people don't get old or can talk to dead people - I'm cool with that stuff, this is just a show, etc.  But the magnetism bizzo both times we've seen it has been really internally inconsistent and ... dumb-looking.  If a magnetic pull is stronger than a jeep driving the opposite way, how do e.g. metal drums and boxes closer to the source maintain their shape?  How about a certain critical object in the final scene that needs to be hit with a rock because it's not being mooshed?  Even if it's not entirely metallic, how is that consistent with e.g. the guy who apparently died because of his filling?

« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 05:33 by fish across face »

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #163 on: 27 May 2009, 05:54 »

It's the island what's doing that.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #164 on: 27 May 2009, 15:33 »

Hey, so what the hell's going to happen in '77?  Basically the two obvious outcomes - everyone's dead or Oceanic 8whatever never crashed - mean no last season to speak of or such a dramatic change in direction that I just can't see it happening on a big budget primetime TV show.

There's more than two potential outcomes. My guess, and I don't believe it's an uncommon theory, is that Miles is right. The H-Bomb is, in fact, a natural part of the incident that occurred in the past under the whatever happened, happened theory. That said, the explosion doesn't kill anyone other than Juliette. Seeing as how Chang and Radzynski both live past the Swan sight incident, they'll live. I'm also guessing that Miles will somehow stay behind and give us a slight main character perspective of some of the remainder of the Dharma timeframe while those survivors that Jacob touched (Namely Kate, Sawyer, Sayid, Jin, Jack and Hurley) are the "they" Jacob referred to when he said "they're coming." Since both the Swan and Orchid sites exhibit signs of being a related anomaly, I would assume that the power released by the incident was enough to send those in the immediate vicinity forward to 2007, where the rest of the group is. The bomb, however, did not destroy the energy, merely abate it long enough for the Dharmas to contain it, leading to the button.

There's obviously some significance to the very obvious manner in which Jacob touched each survivor he met and I don't think we're done with the real John Locke yet either. I doubt Jacob would concern himself with John Locke if he was only going to provide a loophole for his rival to kill him.
JON MADE ME GAY

fish across face

« Reply #165 on: 28 May 2009, 01:32 »

There's more than two potential outcomes.
Yeah, key word on my part was "obvious" - one of the cool aspects of how extreme a cliffhanger it was is that the obvious outcomes can be discounted... Cheers for yr thoughts, looks all very plausible.  Will have to see whether the show's writers give a shit about plausibility. ;)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #166 on: 28 May 2009, 08:21 »

That all sounds compelling except, I think, for the "they" Jacob refers to being Kate, Jack and so on. I know he's ageless so time probably seems much less of a factor to him but he made that statement what we have to assume to be some 300 years before 815 crashes, judging by the ship, probably the Black Rock, we see coming to the island in that scene. Since the Black Rock was owned by Magnus Hanso, we can perhaps see its arrival on the island as the event that led to the Dharma Initiative and therefore to the Incident and therefore to the 815 crash but...well I don't think that was what Jacob was talking about.

Hollow Press (my blog)

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #167 on: 28 May 2009, 10:05 »

I think you're mixing up "they" occurrences. I'm talking about when Ben stabbed him in 2007. After the stabbing, Jacob dropped to his knees and muttered "they're coming," which seemed to startle and anger Un-Locke. I'm assuming that "they" is the people he touched, including (Maybe) the real John Locke.

In terms of the Black Rock's approach, I'm getting the feeling that Richard's on there.
JON MADE ME GAY

fish across face

« Reply #168 on: 28 May 2009, 12:48 »

I'd assumed "they" were the dudes who we'd just seen arrive on the beach and dump Locke's body.  We'd already seen Ilana hanging with Jacob in flashback earlier in the episode, so there seemed a sense in which they're his people.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2009, 12:51 by fish across face »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #169 on: 28 May 2009, 12:53 »

Un-Locke already knew they were coming, though, so I doubt that's it. The look on his face seemed as if he were startled and slightly concerned with the "they" he referred to. It's pretty obvious that the writers aren't killing off the entire principle cast, so it's probable they'll be back and considering Jacob touching them all, I think it's safe to assume that the Oceanic group are the "they" he referred to and that they're some sort of ace in the hole of his.
JON MADE ME GAY

fish across face

« Reply #170 on: 28 May 2009, 16:12 »

Ah, makes sense.

Out of curiosity, did Sun not get touched by Jacob?  I wasn't paying attention to the whole touching thing.

I'm certainly curious about her not ending up in '77.  It obviously serves dramatic purposes to have her and Jin still separated, but am wondering if the writers are going to bother to explain it or just leave it as one of the presumably many things they're going to leave open-ended.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #171 on: 28 May 2009, 22:34 »

Jacob touched Sun and Jin both at their wedding I do believe.

Hollow Press (my blog)

fish across face

« Reply #172 on: 29 May 2009, 02:58 »

Un-Locke already knew they were coming, though, so I doubt that's it.
Thinking about this some more, how do you/we know un-Locke already knew that?  Didn't he & Ben go inside the foot of the statue before the people with Locke's body arrived on the beach?  Was there some earlier scene where he showed recognition of who those people were?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #173 on: 29 May 2009, 04:50 »

Three things: one, he was on the beach with them, so he already knew they existed. Two, his telling Richard that they'd need to be "dealt with" indicates that he knows they're a threat of some kind. Third, he was surprised by the news of "they're coming," and considering he already knew that the Ajira survivors were on the island and making their way toward him, he likely wouldn't be surprised by their approach. The worst they could really do is out him before he had Ben kill Jacob, but that's already done.
JON MADE ME GAY

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #174 on: 29 May 2009, 05:45 »

"They" is a new antagonist(s) that will be retconned into the backstory much like Jacob was, and will be shown to have been manipulating Charles Widmore (and thus responsible for Keamy and all that in s4) and the Darma initiative, and Jacob was all that was keeping them off the island (the Widmore group and the initiative were ways through another loophole), despite apparently bringing many other people to the island (the losties, the boat of which name eludes me but it's the spanish one with the dynamite...

Just a theory.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #175 on: 29 May 2009, 11:54 »

Uh.

No, "they" are the 1977 crew.

I'm pretty darn certain at this point the main antagonist from hereon out is going to be Esau.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

look out! Ninjas!

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #176 on: 29 May 2009, 19:28 »

Uh.

No, "they" are the 1977 crew.
I haven't really been paying attention, but is that actual real canon, or just the strongest theory going?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #177 on: 17 Jun 2009, 10:41 »

Something that slipped by me:

Apparently, last month's Wired was guest edited by J.J. Abrams and he sneaked a reveal into a puzzle.

Said reveal? Confirmation as to who the Four Toed Statue is.

A Wikipedia article on who the statue is behind the link for spoiler purposes.

So, the statue was of an Egyptian goddess of fertility and childbirth. That sure makes a whole lot of sense, though I doubt its destruction was what caused the fertility issues on the island, considering it was heavily implied that Ethan was conceived on the island, which was after the statue was destroyed.
JON MADE ME GAY

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #178 on: 17 Jun 2009, 13:38 »

Ethan was conceived on the island, which was after the statue was destroyed.

Not that we really needed that confirmation if you ask me. It's a recognizable figure from that particular mythology. As far as the above quote goes, how do we know that?

Hollow Press (my blog)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up