THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 17 Apr 2024, 23:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCT Jan 19th-23rd  (Read 88470 times)

La

Re: WCT Jan 19th-23rd
« Reply #50 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:00 »

The strip is great -- the title makes it epic.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #51 on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:56 »

This comic failed to find relevance in the foregoing WCT discussion, unlike the previous couple. It did not, however, fail to make me laugh, which is basically why I read it and I don't know why the hell I sound like I'm criticizing it YAY LOLS.

I was thinking about how many different mugs with print there are in QC after getting the latest 'fuck you' from Sven's mug, but there actually haven't been any of those since 1270. Do they out stickers on them or do they get printed like that?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Tybalt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Can't always unscramble eggs
« Reply #52 on: 19 Jan 2009, 12:14 »

Might be a bit off topic... but... Did Barry get elected in the QC universe?
i mean with that time jump thing we probably skipped over November, and there's really no mention of Politics that I remember...

Ohh well, off to Washington.
haven't heard Obama called Barry, that's.... interesting?

Here is the classic example of separate timelines, when it's indie rock, time is current to our universe.  But everything else stays the same.  Politics was never placed into either timeline, so we could very well be seeing the Bush re-election in the coming years (the comic started in 2003, remember?).
...and that's why I eat bugs.

SleeperCylon

« Reply #53 on: 19 Jan 2009, 13:24 »

I wonder when Miranda Lambert is coming with another album.  She's the only current country singer I like if you don't count alt-country (Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams).

bunnyThor

• Furry furrier
  • This is my personal text. Not yours!
« Reply #54 on: 19 Jan 2009, 13:57 »

minkles

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #55 on: 19 Jan 2009, 14:12 »

Gina Riversmith doesn't exist in real life does she?  I tried googling her, to no avail.

Jillybean

« Reply #56 on: 19 Jan 2009, 15:24 »

has steve died?

We can hope.

le gasp!

Surely you don't mean that. (Personally I think he's off with all the various imaginary friends he seems to have, and Pastor Vodka is taking care of them all.)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #57 on: 19 Jan 2009, 17:04 »

your redirect still misses by 12 yards. unfortunately for us, we pass through the meteor's trail and all catch plague. critical hit.

Anyway, I place Murphy's Curse upon all attempts to destroy the earth until I'm done living on it. And I plan to live forever. So far, so good!

I cast Despell. you die along with all the other humans.

I gain 10.9^89 EXP and Level up by 12267 Levels.

Loot pile is:

Corpse (x10 billion)
Plague
All the earths riches and money.

I Take earths riches and money.

You can only level up once per exp gain, no matter how obscenely large amounts of people you slaughtered.

This has been a public service announcement funded by lonely tabletop RPG nerds everywhere.

Fine...

[Seven of Nine voice]

Very well.

You are fined 100 Gold and one Defense Level Point.

[/Seven of Nine voice]

very well I except that fine, as long as I get a date with you , queen of the cyborgs.

I think a certain hot tempered half Klingon Chief Engineer would object to that - Rather forcefully!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LynxDaemon19

« Reply #58 on: 19 Jan 2009, 18:16 »

Intern's name is Lydia. Just btw. ^^

On that note (but much more pedantically), Marten (with an E) and Wil (with only one L) are characters in QC.  Martin and Will do not appear in this strip, though I notice many people write about them in this thread.

Heavyoak

• Furry furrier
  • I ♥ Hannelore
    • Heavyoak's random web stuff
« Reply #59 on: 19 Jan 2009, 19:04 »

your redirect still misses by 12 yards. unfortunately for us, we pass through the meteor's trail and all catch plague. critical hit.

Anyway, I place Murphy's Curse upon all attempts to destroy the earth until I'm done living on it. And I plan to live forever. So far, so good!

Loot pile is:

Corpse (x10 billion)
Plague

You can only level up once per exp gain, no matter how obscenely large amounts of people you slaughtered.

This has been a public service announcement funded by lonely tabletop RPG nerds everywhere.

Fine...

[Seven of Nine voice]

Very well.

[/Seven of Nine voice]

very well I except that fine, as long as I get a date with you , queen of the cyborgs.

I think a certain hot tempered half Klingon Chief Engineer would object to that - Rather forcefully!!

she can "object" me all night long. I still want to screw Seven of Nine.

masquerade

« Reply #60 on: 19 Jan 2009, 19:49 »

Quote tunnels for the loss. Jesus Christ. STOP IT.

Mojo

« Reply #61 on: 19 Jan 2009, 20:22 »

Wait - Seven of Nine had a voice?  See, this is what I get for only ever watching her in slow motion or still frame.

ecstaticjoy

• I like math
« Reply #62 on: 19 Jan 2009, 20:41 »

I think your avatar might come close.
ew, I hope you're wrong

kaitco

• Emoticontraindication
    • DorienneSmith.com
« Reply #63 on: 19 Jan 2009, 20:57 »

The strip is great -- the title makes it epic.

La, your avatar makes me cry with laughter every single time I see it. :D

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #64 on: 19 Jan 2009, 22:28 »

Loot pile is:

Corpse (x10 billion)
Plague

Fine...

[Seven of Nine voice]

Very well.

[/Seven of Nine voice]

Enjoy your trip out the Airlock - Sans Pressure Suit.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

akronnick

• Only pretending to work
  • I'm freakin' out, man!!!!
« Reply #65 on: 19 Jan 2009, 22:52 »

Is opening an airlock really the best method for execution?

I mean, how can you be sure the person dies? There's no verification.

Yeah, the odds are low, but there are several instances in sci-fi where people survive airlock ejection.

If I'm ever on a starship and there's an enemy I have to dispatch, laser pistol to the head, followed by examination to confirm death, followed by airlock defenestration.

Just sayin'
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

kgbisouttogetme

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Murder is only bad if you kill baby seals.
« Reply #66 on: 19 Jan 2009, 23:01 »

the human body cant withstand the vacuum of space. 3 reasons:

1. temperatures near absolute 0

2. no breathable air

3. such a drastic differance between pressure inside the body and outside in the vacuum

basically instant death
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

Rocketman

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • A little bitter.
« Reply #67 on: 19 Jan 2009, 23:11 »

2. no breathable air

3. such a drastic differance between pressure inside the body and outside in the vacuum

basically instant death

So very, very wrong.

1. Space has no temperature. There's no air to carry heat away from your body. You'd only lose the little bit your body radiates.

3. One atmosphere of pressure difference is not drastic. The various tissues in the body hold up quite well in vacuum. Your eyes would dry out, but they wouldn't burst (at least not before you die of other causes).

2. No air means you'd suffocate. You'd have...oh, three to five minutes before you die.

akronnick

« Reply #68 on: 19 Jan 2009, 23:35 »

Also, who says the adversary is human. Data can survive hard vacuum, so can the borg.

If the decompressee is not human, who knows how long they could survive.
Akronnick, I can think of no more appropriate steed for a Knight Of The Dickbroom than a foul-mouthed, perpetually shouting, lust-crazed bird with a scrotum hanging from its chin and a distinctive cry of "Gobble gobble gobble".   --Tergon

kgbisouttogetme

« Reply #69 on: 19 Jan 2009, 23:38 »

2. no breathable air

basically instant death

So very, very wrong.

1. Space has no temperature. There's no air to carry heat away from your body. You'd only lose the little bit your body radiates.

3. One atmosphere of pressure difference is not drastic. The various tissues in the body hold up quite well in vacuum. Your eyes would dry out, but they wouldn't burst (at least not before you die of other causes).

2. No air means you'd suffocate. You'd have...oh, three to five minutes before you die.

fine we'll send you out into space with an airtank and see how long you last. im guessing instant death but if you dont think then so lets try it
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2009, 23:40 by kgbisouttogetme »
Jesus probably was hung like a horse. Wouldn't it be pathetic it he weren't? haha Jesus boner.

akronnick

« Reply #70 on: 19 Jan 2009, 23:44 »

Oh you'd die, but it wouldn't be instant. Pressure can do real damage to the human body, but it takes time. this gives the victim a chance, however unlikely that they would be able to survive.

hack

• Plantmonster
« Reply #71 on: 19 Jan 2009, 23:56 »

i think that we can all agree that vacuums suck. 
-hack-
Duckman: Did I ever tell you my Dad's last words to me?
Cornfed: "Careful, son, I don't think the safety is on."
Duckman: Before that!

Mojo

« Reply #72 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:52 »

Actually, the temperature in space is approimately 2-3 degrees kelvan, or 2-3 degrees above absolute 0 (that's around 270 below 0 Celsius).  Of course, even this doesn't exist in a vacuum (pun intended).  We also have to consider the effects of solar radiation.

The pressure is 1.322 × 10^-11 Pa, which is essentially 0.

The temperature in the sunlight is 120°C, which is higher than the boiling point of water. In the shade the temperature is about -100°C, way below the freezing point of water. The body tissue (skin, heart, other internal organs) would expand because of the boiling fluids. However, they would not "explode"as depicted in some science fiction movies, such as "Total Recall". Death would occur within one minute.

QuarterFire

• Emoticontraindication
  • o rly?
« Reply #73 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:53 »

Loot pile is:

Corpse (x10 billion)
Plague

Fine...

[Seven of Nine voice]

Very well.

[/Seven of Nine voice]

Enjoy your trip out the Airlock - Sans Pressure Suit.
I just wanted to be part of the quote chain...

Actually, the temperature in space is approimately 2-3 degrees kelvan, or 2-3 degrees above absolute 0 (that's around 270 below 0 Celsius).  Of course, even this doesn't exist in a vacuum (pun intended).  We also have to consider the effects of solar radiation.

The pressure is 1.322 × 10^-11 Pa, which is essentially 0.

The temperature in the sunlight is 120°C, which is higher than the boiling point of water. In the shade the temperature is about -100°C, way below the freezing point of water. The body tissue (skin, heart, other internal organs) would expand because of the boiling fluids. However, they would not "explode"as depicted in some science fiction movies, such as "Total Recall". Death would occur within one minute.

But not if you are away from said solar radiation, as depicted by Hitchhiker's Guide...
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2009, 00:56 by QuarterFire »

Mojo

« Reply #74 on: 20 Jan 2009, 00:59 »

Here's an article I found:

The question is, what happens to the human body in a vacuum?
No, the body won't blow up. Your blood won't boil, either.
There are a number of things about being in space, in a vacuum, which could cause harm to the human body. You wouldn't want to hold your breath. This would cause lung damage. You would probably remain conscious for several seconds, until the blood without oxygen reaches your brain.

It would be pretty darn cold, but the human body doesn't lose heat that fast, so you'd have a little time before you froze to death. It's possible you could have some problems with your eardrums, including a rupture, but maybe not. It would be worse if you had a cold, and were stuffy headed, with no way for the pressure to equalize.

You could get a bad sunburn, and you might actually swell some, but not to Arnold Schwarzenegger, "Total Recall" proportions. The "bends" are also possible, just like a diver who surfaces too quickly.

While your own normal blood pressure will keep your blood from boiling, the saliva in your mouth could very well begin to do so. In 1965, while performing tests at the NASA facility now known as Johnson Space Center a subject was accidentally exposed to a near vacuum (less than 1 psi) when his space suit leaked while in a vacuum chamber. He did not pass out for about 14 seconds, by which time unoxygenated blood had reached his brain. Technicians began to repressurize the chamber within 15 seconds and he regained consciousness at around the equivalent of 15,000 feet of altitude. He later said that his last conscious memory was of the water on his tongue beginning to boil.

The human body is amazingly resilient. The worst problem would be lack of oxygen, not lack of pressure in the vacuum. If returned to a normal atmosphere fairly quickly, you would survive with few if any irreversible injuries.

There have actually been cases of parts of astronauts bodies being exposed to vacuum, when suits were damaged. The results were negligible.

To be away from the effects of solar radiation, you'd have to be pretty far away from the sun; certainly much further than humans are capable of at present.

kgbisouttogetme

« Reply #75 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:07 »

getting back to the comic talk... i wish i had seen the sword fight that was quite obviously occurring before this scene

akronnick

« Reply #76 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:08 »

Faye and Dora must have been repelling borders in today's comic.

Everyone knows what a haven Northampton is for Pirates :evil:
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2009, 01:10 by akronnick »

kgbisouttogetme

« Reply #77 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:09 »

haha hair says foof

Thaes

• Furry furrier
« Reply #78 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:13 »

Yay, Worry Hat!

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #79 on: 20 Jan 2009, 01:55 »

2. no breathable air

basically instant death

Nope.

1. The temperature doesnt matter, since vaccum is the perfect isolation, meaning the body temperature itself will not lower very fast at all. In fact, the main problem is quite the opposite: thanks to the radiation from the sun the temperature of the body will *increase*. Compare the conditions on the moon, which has no atmosphere to speak of and therefore has between -150 and +150 degree celsius temperature, for night and day, respectively.

2. Thats a problem, yes, but its not *instant* death. You got 3 minutes, basically. See also the next paragraph, though.

3. Thats the only real issue which could cause instant death, except it doesnt. The body wont explode, it will just expand like a balloon. But the skin etc are strong enough to still keep the body together, despite the inner pressure. The main issue, in fact, will be loss of oxygen and water from the blood through the lungs, as they will fast evaporate into the vaccum.

All in all, you can survive for a short time in the vaccum of outer space. The 30 seconds estimate of Douglas Adams in The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is a good guess.
« Last Edit: 20 Jan 2009, 01:59 by snubnose »
Carpe Diem

WestEnder67

« Reply #80 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:09 »

Gina Riversmith doesn't exist in real life does she?  I tried googling her, to no avail.

Ditto.

Maybe a plot with Sven and this mysterious country singer in the pipeline? Or Lydia moving in on her mentor?

Anyway, pretty cool strip today.

Although why the fuck is Dora carrying a sword? I mean I thought it wasn't Coffee of Doom with 'Doom' in the medieval whup-ass sense...

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #81 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:32 »

Besides, what where Dora and Faye doing in today's strip ?!?

Dora is holding a sword and Faye is holding something which could be a quarterstaff ...

Did they fence for fun or what ?
Carpe Diem

Neskah

« Reply #82 on: 20 Jan 2009, 02:55 »

I have no witty comments. Pity really as I've been riotously amused by the RPG and Vacuum debates....

Just adding my thoughts that todays comic was yet again, awesome.

One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

Siress

« Reply #83 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:16 »

HA! Lemon Singularity.  :laugh:

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #84 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:01 »

Besides, what where Dora and Faye doing in today's strip ?!?

Dora is holding a sword and Faye is holding something which could be a quarterstaff ...

Did they fence for fun or what ?

I had the same question.  And is the CoD the best place for a duel? 

And on a practical note, iwhy is Faye using a padded weapon while Dora has an actual blade?  I'm not certain that that is an acceptable way to discipline an employee.

And now the Dora/Faye S&M fetishists are in full masturbatory frenzy, damn.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

JustinSane80

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • My bucket is the loudest bucket.
« Reply #85 on: 20 Jan 2009, 04:27 »

In an earlier strip when Hannelore's mom came to visit, didn't Hanners use the shower in a hotel room? (I'm too lazy to look up the strip number, but I seem to remember something about a different pipe bursting and individually-wrapped soaps...) Wouldn't that be even worse than using a shower in someone's house / apartment?
Roll the bones.

DoubleJ

• Plantmonster
« Reply #86 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:09 »

haven't heard Obama called Barry, that's.... interesting?
Apparently he went by Barry for the first part of his life and started going by his given name, Barack, in college. Wikipedia doesn't mention this -- it's not particularly important -- but I think I saw it in a Newsweek article a couple months ago.

GnarlsBroccoli

• Plantmonster
« Reply #87 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:16 »

Where are her matching Worry Mittens?

wargrafix

• Furry furrier
  • Faydora and Fayven, its so hard to choose!
« Reply #88 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:47 »

that broadsword has been there for a while. I'm surprised that the battle spatula wasn't brought out. wait, what if Raven took it!

Dum, dum DUMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!

Dora would do terrible, terrible things to Hanners.

*200 fanfics were just written by someone on the internet.
Help bring back the dragons!

kgbisouttogetme

« Reply #89 on: 20 Jan 2009, 05:52 »

the actual cartoon involving hanners using the shower at the hotel was 921. and we first see the broadsword way back in 468

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #90 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:08 »

In an earlier strip when Hannelore's mom came to visit, didn't Hanners use the shower in a hotel room? (I'm too lazy to look up the strip number, but I seem to remember something about a different pipe bursting and individually-wrapped soaps...) Wouldn't that be even worse than using a shower in someone's house / apartment?

Well, at most hotels they come by and wash the bathroom every day. Who knows how often someone washes their own?

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #91 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:47 »

That's great news. All Faye has to do now is to testify as an eye-witness about those past events and thus Dora will demand Hannelore to explain herself. By the laws of logic and the consequences graphically displayed by Brian Clevinger, Hannelore should go 'FOOM'.

Otherwise we could just start to make characters disappear and blame bipedal carnivorous dinosaurs... come ooon.
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

michi-love

« Reply #92 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:50 »

And didn't Hanners use the shower in Marten and Faye's while she was living with them? Back when she was finding the problem in all those papers her mom sent?

Headwoünd

• Larger than most fish
  • DENIED!
« Reply #93 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:57 »

FOOM I say, FOOM!
I'll take a sausage superior to any burger ... AND EAT IT!

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #94 on: 20 Jan 2009, 06:58 »

And didn't Hanners use the shower in Marten and Faye's while she was living with them? Back when she was finding the problem in all those papers her mom sent?

Maybe, but not after thoroughly cleaning/disinfecting/etc it.

michi-love

« Reply #95 on: 20 Jan 2009, 07:38 »

Yeah, I know, but surely she could disinfect Dora's, then, too?

Calaveth

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #96 on: 20 Jan 2009, 07:44 »

I think Faye just hit the hipster singularity with her Fever Ray tee. It has to be the first one in existence.

renfield1969

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #97 on: 20 Jan 2009, 08:51 »

I also say yay for the worry hat. I'm glad someone did the research on the sword, I was going to ask. Since we don't see the other end of it, I'm assuming that is the battle spatula Faye is holding. Poor Hanners is sick and on any number of meds, so inconsistencies with her memory might not be unexpected, but we can easily assume that she does not use other people's showers anymore.

If the time jump had not been pointed out to me I wouldn't have noticed. I just assumed that Dora had washed out some of the dye or re-dyed it or something. I know it's longer than it was, but I chalked that up to artistic license or her just having had it tucked back or something.

Curt

« Reply #98 on: 20 Jan 2009, 09:40 »

Since we don't see the other end of it, I'm assuming that is the battle spatula Faye is holding.

Oooo...could this be the first sighting of the infamous Malaysian Battle Spatula?  It never crossed my mind until you mentioned it but it's quite possible.  I can see why Dora would need the sword.

#540 - Utensils of Doom for those that want to read the strip again.

zacha

• Emoticontraindication
  • Cloudy Wolf
    • Life, Love & Why
« Reply #99 on: 20 Jan 2009, 11:21 »

To many jokes in one strip. From "Foof" to the title.
"Everything I have written may be wrong."

My life, My love, My why
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up